HURRICANE IVAN & THE BASH

Archive Forum for our Bashes.

Postby SoulDemon » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:49 pm

Yah, I'm hoping it'll just rain a bit and by friday everything will be peachy. Hotel looks like one night is unrefundable, tickets are unrefundable. Thats an expensive vacation I won't be able to take ;x
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Belle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:40 pm

Just as an update...

Schools here have been cancelled until further notice. Interstates have been closed to evacuees only. We are getting the hell out of here too.

This thing is too big and we haven't had one of this size and strength hit here in quite a while.

I just hope the four remaining pine trees in my backyard stay standing tall through this. I so don't want to lose my house. :cry:
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

Belle
Unstable

Postby Ladyaria » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:42 pm

My flight with US Air hasn't been cancelled as of yet. Just checked.
Here's their policy listed on the website for passengers scheduled to fly into new orleans...

Passengers originally scheduled to travel to or from the affected airports on the specified dates may change their itineraries by calling 1-800-428-4322. US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation or ticketing requirements.

The entire itinerary can be moved forward or delayed to originate as late as September 30, 2004.

The full value of wholly unused tickets can be applied toward the purchase of a ticket to an alternate destination, with travel to originate as late as September 30, 2004.

Affected customers must call US Airways Reservations on or before September 30, 2004 to reschedule. Otherwise, the ticket will have no value.

So I can change the ticket to fly in Friday if weather permits...

Otherwise I can change it to fly there or somewhere...sometime in the next 2 weeks.
But by Sept 30th if I don't go somewhere I lose the ticket and money. That really rots.

Here's hoping New Orleans doesn't sustain a bit hit.

Gonna only think positive at this point and hope for the best for you folks that live there or near there and for those of us supposed to be travelling in.

If becomes impossible for this weekend I'll either reschedule to go to New Orleans next thurs-Sunday, or definately go somewhere else next weekend though I have no idea where... :shock:
GM of DoC

Team AWESOME!!
Ladyaria
Pickpocket

Postby Belle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:51 pm

Something you all may want to consider is the fact that New Orleans is a bowl. Significant amounts of rainfall will cause that bowl to fill up leaving the place flooded. During Camille, back in 1969, New Orleans received 7 feet of water. Now I understand there is a better drainage system in place now but it is still not sufficient for massive rainfall.

Sooo...before you hop on that plane Friday, make sure the hotel can check you in.
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Belle
Unstable

Postby Belle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:11 pm

Governor Kathleen Blanco has declared a state of emergency, voluntary evacuations are underway in the New Orleans area and the State Office of Emergency Preparedness is activated. This comes as the entire northern Gulf coast braces for Hurricane Ivan, which is now in the Gulf of Mexico.

Ivan is now centered about 85 miles northwest of the western tip of Cuba. This puts it about 575 miles south-southeast of the northern Gulf coast. Movement is northwest at nine miles an hour, with a turn more to the north-northwest expected in the coming day or so. Top sustained winds are still at 160 miles an hour. Some slight weakening is expected in the coming 24 hours, but Ivan is expected to remain a major hurricane at landfall.

A hurricane watch is posted from Morgan City, Louisiana, eastward to St. Marks, Florida, which is south of Tallahassee. The middle of the official forecast track brings the center of the hurricane to about Pensacola late Wednesday night, but hurricane force winds stretch out 100 miles from center. Tropical storm-force winds are out up to 200 miles.

Forecasters are NOT looking for a significant change in Ivan's forward motion. One forecast model brings the center of the system to the Gulf coast about at New Orleans, while the others point to the areas between Pascagoula, Mississippi, and just east of Pensacola.

New Orleans Evacuations: Officials in New Orleans and suburban Jefferson Parish are urging residents to evacuate in the face of the threat of Hurricane Ivan. Mayor Ray Nagin says that even if the storm makes landfall on the central Gulf coast, the area could still feel hurricane-force winds. Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard urges residents not to take any comfort in forecasts charting an easterly movement for Ivan. Broussard says it's only a question of how hard the region will be hit - and not if it will be hit. Neither evacuation is mandatory.

Officials in St. Charles Parish ordered a mandatory evacuation this morning of that parish's 49-thousand residents. A mandatory evacuation also is in effect for low-lying areas of Plaquemines Parish.

Entergy Turns Back: Louisiana utility workers who spent the past few weeks restoring power in Florida in the wake of Hurricane Charley and Frances are heading home to contend with the threat of Hurricane Ivan. About 175 workers for Entergy Corporation's Louisiana utilities left Orlando, Florida, Monday. The workers represent about one-third of the company's normal outdoor work force in the state. Cleco Corporation in Pineville recalled about 50 workers from Ocala, Florida.

Entergy spokesman Chanel Lagarde says Entergy's workers should be home tonight, giving them time to rest before they have to respond to Ivan, which is expected to make landfall somewhere along the central Gulf Coast early Thursday. Cleco also expects workers to be back in the state by the end of today.

Tree-trimming crews from Entergy are scheduled to hit the streets in the New Orleans area to trim dead branches and other obstructors away from critical power lines. Both utilities are prepared to handle the aftermath of Ivan if the storm should hit Louisiana.

Entergy New Orleans supplies power to 191-thousand customers in Orleans Parish, and Entergy Louisiana supplice electrictiy to a million customers in the suburbs, Baton Rouge and other parts of the state. Cleco supplies electricity to 270-thousand customers in a portion of New Orleans' north shore and much of central Louisiana.

Classes Canceled: Southeastern Louisiana University canceled classes for Tuesday. Only faculty and staff were to report to SLU.

Baton Rouge is already feeling the affects of Hurricane Ivan even before the storm gets closer in the Gulf. Several hotels tell 9 News they are booked solid. They expect the majority of the people to arrive Tuesday. Many of those people will be coming from New Orleans. Monday, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin urged residents to take this storm seriously and leave by Tuesday morning.

As Louisiana residents start to prepare for the Category Five hurricane, plywood is becoming scarce. Much of our supplies are low already because so much went to Florida for the last two storms.

Meanwhile, 100 miles or so, south of the Crescent City, Grand Isle residents will tell you they are not playing around. They don't have time to either. People like David Terrebonne have already begun to board up and pull out.

"Sure is because this one is bad as ever, since it started way out there. I was thinking it was going to Florida but sorry to say they don't really need another one. Somebody's going to have to take the brunt, but we're taking it seriously," says Terrebonne.

Belle
Unstable

Postby Belle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:21 pm

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Louisiana storm damage experts says a direct hit by Hurricane Ivan could be that horrifying for New Orleans. With the city's saucer-shaped topography that dips as much as nine feet below sea level, there's nowhere for water to go if a storm surge is strong enough to top levees ringing the city.

Ivor van Heerden, director of Louisiana State University's Hurricane Public Health Center, says those who remain, should the city flood, would be exposed to all kinds of nightmares from buildings falling apart to floating in the water having nowhere to go.

LSU's hurricane experts have spent years developing computer models and taking surveys to predict when hurricanes could flood the city and how many people would choose to wait out the storm at home. Both results paint grim pictures.

Aaand, last but not least, Ivan's current position in the Gulf.

Oh and just in case any of you want to see this bad boy in motion. Here ya go.

Belle
Unstable

Postby Aldus » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:35 pm

On Friday, the day the bash begins, we will be in New Orleans if the following happens...

1) We can get to New Orleans
2) If there is a New Orleans
3) If there is a hotel to go to
4) If we can get out of our driveway.

None of you will know this if cellphone towers are blown down, powerlines are blown down, or telephone lines are blown down because we will have zero ability to communicate.

In other words, we don't know what is going to happen. WHEN we know what will happen, we will let you know.

Please understand that currently it is a 6 hour trip from New Orleans to Baton Rouge because of evacuation traffic. Thursday night or Friday morning, those people will be, maybe, depending on damage, returning to their homes, resulting in another 6 hour trip to go 75 miles. This is something those of you driving in may want to consider.

All in all, please be patient and give my wife a break. We are doing all we can to make sure you are not all out alot of money in this. Quite frankly, I expect you all to understand that none of this is our doing and jumping the gun will help no one especially when the weather forecasters don't know what this thing will do.

Sincerely,
Chad
Mr. Evernight
Aldus
Stablehand

Postby Zann » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:57 pm

Grunt got his money back from the hotel today so you can get it back if needed.
Zann
Pickpocket

Postby shigee » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:08 pm

Belle and Chad, good luck in your evacuation. I hope that your property and family fares well.

As to the driving speed, a friend of mine was on the Causeway for over 4 hours this afternoon, trying to get home to Madisonville. I expect to Baton Rouge or back from there might take even longer than you previously quoted. If the news doesn't, I can try to keep you appraised of that status.
How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. - George Washington Carver
shigee
Stablehand

Postby Ostro » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:18 am

Quoted from the Associated press:

"[New Orleans] basically sits like a bowl, and most of the city is under sea level ... so if we get a storm like Ivan to hit us directly there could be 12 to 18 feet of water in the city," Governor Nagin said.

Those who are going down on Friday anyway, I suggest you bring your wellingtons, because even if NO isn't hit directly, there will still be some flooding.
Ostro GoPF Forever!
"Wait, what game?"
Ostro
Journeyman

Postby SoulDemon » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:39 am

Chan called our airlines this morning. Basically we are to call back as late as possible tomorrow night to find out if the airline is going to cancel the flight or not. If they do, they will give us vouchers for the amount we paid for future flight.

If we cancel, we have to reschedule within 2 weeks and fly before December - and we can only go to New Orleans, no other city. So if that happens, Belle we may be coming to visit some weekend :)
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Belle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:43 am

I'll go out of my way to attempt a visit with anyone unable to change their flights or get refunds.

I'm desperate for people. Got myself all pumped up for it and stuff and now I need a fix.

Belle
Unstable

Postby Ladyaria » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:33 am

My flight has been cancelled as of this morning.

They will only give me a 2 week voucher, so I have to fly somewhere this weekend or next. No refunds.
Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

I'm close enough to Decae's place to drive (about 4 1/2 hrs), would kinda be a waste of money to fly there I think.
So trying to decide what to do. :(

I may come to NO next weekend Belle. :wink:
Stay safe down there. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.
GM of DoC

Team AWESOME!!
Ladyaria
Pickpocket

Postby Belle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:39 am

Next weekend isnt good for me considering it;s the LSU Mississippi State game and...I HAVE TICKETS!!

So um...yeah. 8)

Belle
Unstable

Previous

Return to Bash Forum