Breads and Baking

- Have a favorite recipe? Looking for something new to cook? This forum has it all!

Breads and Baking

Postby Voice Caile » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:22 pm

Here ya go ;) For breads and other baking, such as cookies etc.
It's a great time to be Gay in Canada, we can now legally take half of everything in a divorce.
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Homemade White Bread

Postby Forbidden » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:35 pm

Homemade White Bread "Mama's Recipe"
(Not meant for bread machines)

5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 packages Yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 cups water (very warm water not over 130 degrees)
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (best if you use soft butter, take out of refrigerator for an hour before you start to make the bread)

Directions In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F); stir into dry ingredients. . Stir in 1 cup flour; scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. (this is the time to get out all of your aggressions by needing the dough)

Divide dough in half, I form a loaf with the dough and place in greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. (I actually turn my microwave on for 10 mins, then shut it off and place loaves covered in there for the 45 mins) its nice and toasty warm.

Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes or (Nicely golden brown)until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.

If you want wheat bread, Substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour for part of all-purpose flour.
The ground on which we stand is sacred ground. It is the blood of our ancestors.”
-Plenty Coups, Crow-
Forbidden
Stablehand

Sourdough Bread

Postby Forbidden » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:03 am

Sourdough starter--

Ingredients: 2 cups Lukewarm water or milk
2 cups Bread or unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Mix together in a GLASS or PLASTIC BOWL the above ingredients. Do not use metal utensils. Cover the bowl with a tight fitting lid and allow to sit in a warm, draft-free location for 4 to 7 days, gently stirring once a day. You may use your starter after 4 days.
To use your starter, simply remove the amount called for in the recipe and add to the other ingredients. Replace the amount removed with equal amounts of water/milk and bread/unbleached all purpose flour.
After feeding your starter, leave on counter for 24 hours. At the end of that period you may refrigerate your starter. You must refeed at least once every 7 days, so I use my starter once a week. If you do not plan to use it, then take one cup out and throw away and feed.
If you will be away on vacation you may freeze your starter, thaw it in the refrigerator upon your return. As soon as it is thawed, remove at least one cup and feed as above.

Now for the bread

Sourdough Bread
1 cup Sourdough starter
1 1/3 cups Warm water
5 To 6 c all-purpose flour or
-a combination of All-purpose and whole wheat flours
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking soda
Cornmeal to sprinkle on pans

THE SPONGE: Pour 1 cup of starter into a large ceramic mixing bowl. Feed and then refrigerate the remainder. Add to the starter in the mixing bowl, the warm water and about 3 c of flour. Beat vigorously with a spoon or wire whisk. Cover this sponge with plastic wrap and put it aside to work. This time period can be very flexible, but allow at least 2 hours and as many as 24. The longer it has, the more yeast there will be for the second rise and the more pronounced the sour flavor of the bread will be.

THE DOUGH: After sponge has bubbled and expanded, remove plastic wrap. Blend salt, sugar and baking soda into 2 c of flour. Mix this into sponge with large spoon. When dough begins to hold together, turn it out onto floured board and knead it for 3 or 4 minutes. Add flour as needed to make a fairly stiff dough.Give the dough a rest and clean the bowl.
Continue kneading for another 3 or 4 minutes. Place the dough back in the bowl turning it to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 2 to 4 hours. If you want, you can skip the second rise in the bowl and proceed directly to the next step.

SHAPING AND BAKING THE LOAVES: Knock down the dough and shape it into 2 long loaves. Place them on a cornmeal sprinkled cookie sheet, cover and let them rise for another 2 hours or so.
Toward the end of the rising period, preheat your oven to 450 F and begin heating a kettle of water on your stove. Just before you put them in the oven, slash the tops of your loaves diagonally with a knife 1/4" deep every two inches and brush with cold water. Place a baking pan on the oven bottom and put in 3 or 4 cups of boiling water. Put the loaves on the rack over the steaming water, close the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.

Trust me it looks harder than it is to make,
Enjoy
The ground on which we stand is sacred ground. It is the blood of our ancestors.”
-Plenty Coups, Crow-
Forbidden
Stablehand

Indian Fry Bread

Postby Forbidden » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:26 am

Indian Fry Bread

6 cups of flour
2 packages of yeast
3/ 4cup of sugar
1/4 cup of shortening
1 1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of warm water

Mix the dry ingredients together, add yeast to warm water, mix, add to dry ingredients. Knead. Put in bowl, cover and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour. Divide and roll into 5" flat round tortilla shape.(Vegetable oil) Deep fry until golden brown. Top with your favorite toppings.

Toppings:
Cinnamon sugar
Honey and butter
Jams
many things you can top this bread with
-Plenty Coups, Crow-
Forbidden
Stablehand

Sweet Pear Bread

Postby SpeakerForTheDead » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:47 pm

Boil water and set until it reaches 100 degrees with a candy thermometer.
Add a packet of yeast and some sugar. Let sit 5 minutes.
Cut up 3 soft pears into little pieces.
Mix 2.5 cups flour with 1/4 cup sugar and the yeast/water/sugar mix from before. Don't add in the yeast/water/sugar mix until it has changed color.
Plop the dough onto a floured cutting board, flour your hands up, and kneed it... adding flour to the dough slowly.
Once you've added enough flour for the dough to be "tacky", fold in as many pear pieces as will fit, put the dough in a bowl and throw the rest of the pear pieces on top.
Cover the bowl with a towel and stick it in a dark warm place. Ideal temperature is about 85 degrees... leave it there for 45 minutes.
After the 45 minutes, do the finger test... just poke the bread and if the fingerprint remains imprinted, the bread is ready.
Now here's the fun part: punch the dough into the bowl... three punches or so... enough to get the air out. The extra pear pieces should fall into the middle.
Fold the bread and shape it round. Transfer into something cooking safe like a cake pan or a cookie sheet. Cover and put in the warm dark place for another 45 minutes... it will rise again, but don't do the finger test this time or you'll be stuck with the fingerprint. Go ahead and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
After the 45 minutes, sprinkle the top with a little water and spread with a brush or fingers. (can do egg whites too, but I don't care for it myself)
Now stick the dough in the over for 20 minutes.

The bread will have a hardish coating on the outside and will be absolutely delighful in the middle... just the right amount of moistness and the pear. yum. the pear.

The best part of this recipe is the pear. Next time I plan on adding a little bit of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg to the flour mixture too... Eat while its still a little warm, I cut mine into pie pieces and added the tiniest but of butter to the hardened part.

So so simple... the ingredients were cheap... the hardest part was the kneeding, which was probably hard because I left my engagement ring on. Yum!
SpeakerForTheDead
Stablehand

Postby The Exalted One » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:16 am

CHOCOLATE CHIP HOLIDAY TEA CAKES

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2/3 cup finely chopped nuts
1 (12 ounce) package NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided

Directions
1 PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
2 BEAT butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour and nuts. Stir in 1 1/2 cups morsels. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheets.
3 BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until set and light golden brown on bottom. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
4 MICROWAVE remaining morsels in heavy-duty plastic bag on HIGH (100%) power for 30 to 45 seconds; knead. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to drizzle over cookies. Refrigerate cookies for about 5 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store at room temperature in airtight containers.

NOTE: For a spicier cookie, add 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon to flour before adding to butter-sugar mixture.

Makes 54 servings
The Exalted One
Pickpocket

Return to Evernight Cookbook