Pasta Dishes

- Have a favorite recipe? Looking for something new to cook? This forum has it all!

Pasta Dishes

Postby Voice Caile » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:05 am

As per request, a pasta thread. Sauces and full dishes welcome.
It's a great time to be Gay in Canada, we can now legally take half of everything in a divorce.
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Lady Maven » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:36 pm

1 small sized bag of elbow macaroni
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
1/2 cup mozerella grated
1/2 cup of jack (pepper jack is quite nice) grated
1/4 cup of milk
1 stick magarine or butter
1 teaspoon mustard
a couple of gratings of fresh nutmeg (buy it as a whole nut and use smallest holes on grater, can use powdered but the taste is not as nice)
good sprinkle of paprika
salt and pepper to taste
bread crumbs

Boil Macaroni according to package directions, stir in milk, butter and spices, add cheeses, save a little cheese for top if you like and stir stir stir until fully melted.

Put in baking dish, sprinkle on some bread crumbs and some extra cheese, pop in oven at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes until topping is nice and brown and bubbly

To turn it into an easy tuna casserole:

Before adding topping and popping in oven, stir in tuna, I also like to add peas and roasted chiles to mine.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby Katalyna » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:13 am

Kat's Sketti Sauce (can be made in a huge batch and then frozen! - Best if started the night before and allowed to simmer in a crock pot all night, or, failing that, make it in the morning and cook on a low heat.)

Ingredients:

1 can of tomatoes with basil and garlic
1 can of tomatoes with oregano and any other assorted italian spices
1 large can tomato puree (or two small cans)
2 small can of tomato paste (with italian spices if you can get it)
1 lb ground beef (more if you're making a huge batch, or want meat balls - other meats (Kangaroo) work well)
1 head of garlic
1 onion
Olive Oil

Spices:

Rosemary
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Bay leaf
Sage
Parsley
Minced Garlic
Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper
Parmesean Cheese and/or Romano (Preferably the stuff you get from Kraft in the green bottles - it's actually better for the cooking of the sauce.)

First, prepare your Onion - chop it into fine pieces. Then peel your garlic. You can chop it, or you can leave it whole - either way, doens't matter. Crushing works all right also.

Placing Olive oil in skillet, allow to heat for a few moments before adding ground beef. Allow the beef to sizzle for a few moments (take this time to get out your pot for the sauce). Add liberal amounts of Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Sage, Parsley, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper and Minced Garlic to the beef, continue to cook, making sure to stir it occasionally, until the beef is mostly cooked through. In the pot for your sauce, open the can of puree and dump it in, then add the tomatoes with assorted spices. Spoon in the paste and start on high, making sure to turn the heat down when the paste appears to be mostly broken up. Add onion and garlic (the number of cloves depends on how much you like garlic), and cook on low until it begins to boil.

By this time the meat should be cooked... place the heat down to low and let it sit there while you turn your attention to the sauce. Add the spices, but this time include the bay leaf. (If you're not a huge fan of onion or garlic, you can omit the extra additions of it.) Stir the sauce and let it come to boiling. Keep an eye on the sauce, it will burn!!!!

Drain the meat of any excess grease, and add it to the sauce. Stir well. Add about a tablespoon of parmesean/romano cheese to the sauce and stir some more. Let that come to a near boiling.

Now, if you're preparing the night before:

Transfer the sauce to a crock pot and set it on auto, or low if yours doesn't have an 'auto' setting. If you go to bed late, this is good - then you can occasionally stir the sauce. If not, no worries, it'll be ok but first thing in the morning you'll need to stir it again. Add more spices either before you go to bed, or when you first get up. (But no more bay leaf!) Including the cheese. Don't add them as liberally as you did before - just a pinch. As always, feel free to taste the sauce to see what it needs *winks*

If you're preparing it the morning of:

Keep the sauce on low, checking it every 15 minutes to half an hour to stir it and make sure it's not boiling over - if it starts to stick to the bottom of the pot, lower your heat or turn it off completely. Around midday, add a little bit more spice, just to make sure that you have the extra "wow!" the sauce carries. Also add more cheese.

Best if served with pasta al dente, a salad and garlic bread. Nummies
Bid my blood to run before I come undone
Save me from the Nothing I've become
Abaddon/Yoshimutsu's Always!
Katalyna
Stablehand

Postby ~Candy~ » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:04 pm

Candy's Caesar Pasta Salad

1 small box of tri-color macaroni (twist or shells)
1 cup cubed chedder cheese
1 cup cubed mozerella cheese
1 whole green pepper cut up into bite sized pieces
1 whole contain of grape tomatos
1/2 cut of cut up radishes
1 small bottle of caesar salad dressing of your favorite brand
dash of red & black pepper
dash of McCormick's Salad Supreme
grated parmesan cheese for topping

Boil Macaroni according to package directions, drain and chill with cold water.
Mix in all vegetables, cubed cheeses and salad dressing.
stir in dashes of red, black and salad supreme seasoning as you stir. (Not to much, but enough for taste)

Put in baking dish, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Chill in fridge for about 1-2 hours before serving.

Makes a great summer dish for hot days!
~Candy~
Stablehand

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:35 am

Mom's Red Macaroni salad

1 medium sized bag salad macaroni, cooked, drained, and ran under cold water until very cool
1 small can tomato sauce
1 cup of mayonaise
1 head of cauliflower, diced VERY fine
1 bunch green onions, diced finely, both tops and bottoms
Salt

mix mayo, tomato sauce first, it is right when it is a bright pink in color, add more sauce or mayo if needed. Toss the veggies with the macaroni, then stir in sauce and add salt to taste. Chill thoroughly before serving.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Meat Stuffed Shells

Postby Nimue » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:26 pm

cook jumbo shells or manicotti shells as per box directions, to al dente stage. drain then place on foil until you stuff them.

MEAT STUFFING

1 lb grnd meat ( I use 1/2 lb sausage and 1/2 lb grnd beef (or venison if agailable)
1 jar spaghetti sauce
3 slices bread, torn into small pieces ( about 1/4 inch pieces)
1 egg
8 oz grated mozzarella cheese
1 tsp parsely flakes

brown and grain meats together. Add meat, bread, egg, 4 oz mozzarella, parsely flakes, and 1/2 c sauce together in a bowl. Stuff shells. Place in a baking dish in the following order:
spaghetti sauce, stuffed shells, more sauce, mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F about 30 minutes or else till shells are hot and cheese is melted.

This can be made ahead of time and froozen until ready to bake. If baking from frozen status, it will take 45 minutes to an hour to cook them.

IF you want to use a crock pot to make this, it will take between 5 and 7 hours to heat when fresh made.
Nimue

Galthirbane is MY Snookems!
DG is my hero!
Nimue
Grandma

Cheese Stuffed Shells

Postby Nimue » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:27 pm

Cook jumbo shells or manicotti shells as per box directions, to al dente stage. Drain then place on foil until you stuff them.

1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
1/4 c grated parmesean cheese
1 egg
8 oz grated mozzarella cheese, seperated
1 tsp parsely flakes
1 jar spaghetti sauce

Combine ricotta, parmesean, and 1/4 c mozzarella cheese with the egg and parsely flakes. Stuff into shells. Place shells in the baking dish in the following layers:
sauce, shells, sauce, and mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

In a crock pot, it should only take about an hour or so for the batch to heat. You can make more than one layer in the crock of the cheese shells, but only put the mozzarella cheese on the top layer. I am told this can be frozen as well as the meat, but I have never tried freezing the cheese.
Nimue

Galthirbane is MY Snookems!
DG is my hero!
Nimue
Grandma

Postby The Exalted One » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:27 am

CHICKEN PESTO A LA LISA

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3/4 cup prepared basil pesto
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 (16 ounce) package fusilli pasta
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1 Soak sun dried tomatoes in chicken broth.
2 Cook chicken in oil with garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until done.
3 Stir cornstarch into a couple of tablespoons of chicken broth. Stir remaining chicken broth, sun dried tomatoes, pesto, pine nuts, and basil into the skillet with the chicken. Mix cornstarch mixture into the sauce, and cook until thickened. Add feta a few minutes before serving.
4 Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. Serve sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Makes 6 servings
The Exalted One
Pickpocket

Return to Evernight Cookbook