Salad Dishes.

- Have a favorite recipe? Looking for something new to cook? This forum has it all!

Salad Dishes.

Postby SoulDemon » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:59 pm

Please place any and all dishes that are considered salads here. This includes fruit salads, macaronni salads, and speciality garden salads.
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Lady Maven » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:51 pm

German Style Potato Salad

This makes a LOT of potato salad

10 lbs of white or red potatos (ok, frankly? I usually use ordinary old russets)

1 dozen hardboiled eggs, peeled

1 medium sized onion

1 small jar of sweet pickles

1/4 cup of prepared mustard

2 cups of mayonaise

salts, LOTS of salt

Using large stock pot, place in potatos and cover with water, add nothing else. Boil the potatos with skins on until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly under cold running water. Try not to refridgerate at this stage they could become a bit mealy in texture, but does not affect the taste. If using the big brown russets, peel the skins off once cooked, leave skins on white or reds.

While the potatos cool, dice the eggs, onion and sweet pickles.

Make sauce, mix mayo mustard and about half of the sweet pickle juice. Now salt the sauce, it should taste QUITE salty, this will take even as much as an 8th of a cup of salt. Remember, the potatos have no salt added to them. Mix the eggs onion and pickles into the sauce. When potatos cool, cut into bite sized chunks and stir into sauce. Refridgerate until well chilled.

When I make mine for pot lucks and such, I often take a few hard boiled eggs and cut them in half lengthwise, and then using green onions make flowers and leaves from them as a decoration on top.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby The Exalted One » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:33 am

BROCCOLI-CAULIFLOWER SALAD

Ingredients

1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup cauliflower florets
2 cups hard-cooked eggs, diced (optional)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
6 slices bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Directions

1 Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble and set aside.
2 In a medium sized salad bowl, layer in order the broccoli, cauliflower, eggs, cheese and bacon.
3 Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Drizzle dressing over top and serve.
The Exalted One
Pickpocket

Return to Evernight Cookbook