Epic

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Epic

Postby Julian Kael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:35 pm

I haven't done this in years. Thank you Jen for agreeing to help me get back into the swing of things. Reminds me of the last time you helped me out do you remember?
Here goes nothing.

The sky was a hazy shade of winter, you know, when it's daylight but the sun isn't shining, and there's no snow on the ground. The air is bitter, biting. My toes were frozen in the tips of my boots, the hairs in my nose the same as my toes. My cheeks and lips felt chapped, dried out from the cold, still I kept going, walking the road that would lead me to... to where? I didn't know where I was going, I just knew I had to go. This last bout with my father had been the final fight I would get into with him. I told him that much as I slammed the door of the warm house I grew up in closed behind me, the last thing I heard from him was how I would never be welcomed into his house again, and the sound of my mother crying following me out the door. My father, Henry Kael, is considered a great man in our small but prosperous providence. A hero of the Triad wars. Too bad he could never be anything more than a tyrant who ruled over his family with an iron fist. A fist that drove my two older brothers, Sebastian and Aaron away, and the third, Killian is well on his way to being the great heroes doppleganger. A real chip off the old block as the saying goes. That's what this last fight was about, again. My father wanted me to enlist in the kings armies and I have never had any use for war. Not in the traditional sense. Growing up in the household that I did, war was a way of life. From an early age my father would pit his sons against one another, what he called raising, we called barbaric. In Henrys' mind if his sons were not battle hardened warriors, soldiers ready to fight to the death for whatever cause caught the kings fancy, then we were not men at all. Try getting a four year old to understand why his father hit him over and over again until that four year old learned not to shed one tear from being struck. My mother, who is a good woman has done her best to try and compensate for my father, but once we were old enough to think for ourselves, to make our own decisions, she became aware that nothing she said or did would keep us from leaving and never looking back. The only time I can ever recall seeing my father be what he would call soft is with my mother, and I believe it is because he has never raised a hand to her and he has always provided for her, that this is why she never truly stepped in or packed us up and left him. It's been four years since Bastian has been home and two for Aaron, once they became of age, each of them on their birthdays, left the house before dawn, no goodbyes, nothing. Today is my birthday, I have come of age and I left the house under a sky that was a hazy shade of winter to the sound of my mother crying.
Last edited by Julian Kael on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Kael
Stablehand

Re: Epic

Postby Lelani » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:16 pm

I won't do it.
Four words whispered so softly it was simply awesome that she had been heard. Hands went to her slender shoulders resting gently, thick fingers kneaded her muscles, a sigh slipped from her lips and she sank her back into the chest of the man standing behind her. Blue eyes looked out the window to the gray winter sky.
I mean it Damian he cannot possibly expect me to.
The rich warm voice in her ear calmed the unease that had taken over since the meeting with her father had been abruptly halted, halted because she had stood up and for the first time since her birth, defied her father.
I've tried reasoning with him, but he truly believes what he is doing is best for you Lelani. He's worried that you will spend your days alone...
Lelani Rosewood, the only daughter of three children to Harold and Janine Rosewood, had just finished coming face to face with her worst fears. Her father had called her into his study that morning and right away she knew what he wanted to see her for was not good. He had danced around getting to the heart of the matter with a guilty look on his face and when he finally told her that he was in the process of arranging a marriage between her and the son of Baron Harland Cromwell, Rafe. This man she knew nothing about except for the gossip and it was terrifying gossip at that.
Damian, you have heard the stories of this man. How could our father even think to sell me off like some prized cattle to the highest bidder? I am his daughter for gods sake not a piece of property. If he were so worried why didn't he agree to allow Marcus to call on me when he came asking permission to do so?
Who was she kidding? She was his daughter, and in the day and age in which they lived meant she was nothing more than property. She hated it, all of it.
I don't like it either. As it stands right now, they are only in talks Lelani, maybe those talks will break down.
And if they don't?
Her brother sighed heavily, she heard it and felt it. He was just as worried as she was, it was all there in that sigh.
Then we'll figure something out. Anthony will be home soon Lele, between the three of us, we'll figure something out.
Lelani
Stablehand

Postby Julian Kael » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 pm

I had no idea where I was going when I left my fathers' house. For nearly eight days I walked in bitter cold, finding shelter at night in abandoned caves, using the skills that my brothers and I had drilled into us from the time we could walk. I suppose I owe my father at least that much credit, he did teach us to survive. Tracking, hunting, fighting, whatever else you can think of that would prove useful in the wild, we learned it all. During my week of travels I wished more than once that I had been born during the warm seasons. Sleeping beneath the stars on a summers night, there isn't anything quite like it. But no, I had to be born during winter months, and I had to follow in my brothers footsteps, leaving on my birthday like they did on theirs. Eight days of solitude, I hadn't seen a single soul, I hadn't expected to either. Who in their right mind would leave the comforts of home to venture out in weather such at this? Only a fool. Or a son trying to escape a destiny that their father tried to force on them. Needless to say when I trekked into the small town I quickly learned was named Oswald, I practically jumped for joy when I found out that the local tavern was looking for some extra hands to keep some of the rowdier patrons in line. I said I wasn't one for war but I never said anything about not enjoying a good fight here and there and if that put some gold in my pocket I was all for it. The best part about it all was the room and board, just a small amount taken out of nightly earnings, Alisa, the woman who ran the tavern with her husband Tom seemed happy I was there too. All in all, I have to say that so far, my new life, has started out pretty damn well. I won't hold my breath though, something bad always follows good, or at least from my experience that is the way the world works.
Julian Kael
Stablehand

Postby Lelani » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:49 am

And what do we have here?
There was a yelp followed by a small crash, the small glass box Lelani had in her hands fell to floor shattering when she was startled by the voice coming from her doorway.
Dammit!
The muttered curse brought a chuckled from her guest who knelt down beside her on the floor helping her to pick up the larger broken pieces. Blue eyes that matched her own were sparkling with unheard laughter, on her face was a scowl, but her eyes sparkled back. Carefully pushing the gathered glass into a neater pile on the floor it wasn't long before she was throwing herself at the man, her arms squeezing his neck tight and toppling them both to the floor.
Anthony what took you so long! Do you have any idea what's been going on here? Do you know...
Her words were cut off by the hand that went over her mouth, her oldest brother was nodding his head knowingly.
Nothing happens here that I don't know about little sister.
He helped her to sit up and he sat up next to her taking her hand. They sat there side by side on the floor of her bedroom.
I'm not going to allow this Lelani. Rafe and his father may have our father seeing through rose colored glasses but I know Rafe Cromwell and I'll be damned if any woman I know especially my own sister is going to be subjected to his antics and his cruelty.
Anthony didn't want to scare his sister but she had to be prepared for the worst, if he couldn't convince their father that the arrangement between the two houses would do more harm than good, then other measures, more desperate measures would need to be taken. Anthony was not above defiance if it meant protecting and saving their sister from the hell her life would become and he knew neither was Damian.
So they are true... all the gossip, the rumors...
Her voice wavered and she cleared her throat to rid it of the lump that had formed. A gentle reassuring squeeze from her brother kept her from acting on her more impulsive side as she often did when she felt trapped.
I'm not going to lie to you and say that they aren't. Hell what you've heard, is nothing compared to what I know to be fact. Don't do it Le, don't start thinking outside the box just yet. Damian and I are going to bring an end to this one way or the other. We aren't going to just hand you over.
She was a little surprised when he hoisted her up off the ground.
Now, father thinks you've retired for the night because I have told him as much as I told him that you do not want to be disturbed... think you might be up for a little sneaking out with your brothers?
A genuine smile lit up her face reaching her eyes. Sneaking out with her brothers was one of Lelanis greatest pleasures in life. Anthony and Damian taught her everything she knew about how to handle herself, through the years she grew into an excellent marksman and could throw a punch almost as well as any man. That was the secret side to her that so few knew and even less would understand because a proper lady just did not behave the way she was prone to behaving when she was with her brothers.
Get out get out get out Anthony. I have to change.
Muffled laughter filled the room while she shoved her brother out the door and he told her she had fifteen minutes to meet him and Damian at the stables. She made it in ten.
Lelani
Stablehand

Postby Julian Kael » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:17 pm

"Oh lordy here comes trouble. Them damn Rosewoods. Keep your eyes on them three Julian my boy, that one in the middle there, a real pain in the backside."
If I had been watching Alisa, my motherly type of employer I would have caught the glint in her eyes, and would not have been so inclined to concentrate as hard as I was on keeping the peace at the inn with the arrival of these supposed troublemakers. There were three of them just like she said, two of them were tall, standing at least at 6'1 and 6'2 respectively, but the third one, the one referred to as a real pain in the backside, there was something about that one that didn't fit with the others. The third one was maybe 5'6 at best and nowhere near as wide as the other two, and the way they moved, didn't fit either, I wasn't able to get a good look at him though because the first two were hovering protectively. That piqued my curiosity.
"Rosewoods eh? I don't know Alisa, that middle one doesn't look like much trouble at all."
Alisa chuckled.
"Them there are Anthony, Damian and Lee Rosewood. Born in that order. Anthonys' been off in the Kings army, something big must be happening on the homefront if he's back, Damian used to tend to the inn here but has moved on to greener pastures, the boy supplies and distributes all the spirits for Oswald and the surrounding areas. Then there's Lee, that one is special, can't say too much about that one. You'll see what I mean soon enough. Just keep an eye on'em, they aren't a bad lot, trouble just seems to follow'em wherever they go".
I had a feeling she knew more than she was letting on about this Lee, but I wasn't going to push her. Alisa started humming to herself which I learned was the signal that she was done talking about a subject. I was just going to keep watch, and hopefully the night would pass without incident. I hoped wrong.
Last edited by Julian Kael on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Kael
Stablehand

Postby Lelani » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:22 am

Relax Le, you sitting here looking wound up tighter than a top isn't going to do anything but draw attention.
Anthonys whispered words did so very little to calm the nerves that had Lelani acting skittish and jumping at the slightest sound. Her brother Damian chimed in with his attempt to get her to settle down and he set down three mugs on the table. He sat down on the free side of the table and leaned back in the chair.
Anthony is right Le, we're supposed to be three brothers having a night out with nothing but having a good time on our minds. No one is going to buy it if you're hopping all over in your seat.
Three brothers. Most of Oswalds inhabitants knew that she was indeed Lee, and just as many inhabitants were glad to keep the secret. Many believed that Harold Rosewood would sell his daughter to the devil himself if it meant a gain in power and wealth, and it seemed that they were right. She snorted in an unladylike way that produced chuckles from her brothers. Taking the mug in her hand she lifted it to her lips and took a long pull from the rim, a long pull that by the time she set the mug down it was already three quarters empty which brought more chuckles from her brothers and an almost guilty shrug from her.
Stop laughing. You want me to relax, this is the way I'll go about doing it, how else am I going to stop myself from thinking about being sold off like livestock...
Anthony cut her off, the expression on his face telling her that he was not amused.
That's not going to happen Le, I've already told you we won't allow it... tell her Damian...
Damian leaned forward and motioned for them to do the same, he spoke in a very low whisper.
You're going to be going away for a little while Le... I'm working out all the details, I just need a little more time. I won't tell you anything more than that right now just incase Father or anyone else finds out. This way, you can't have any fingers pointed at you.
Her eyes went wide, she knew her brothers had promised to keep her from being forced into an unholy alliance with Rafe Cromwell but she really had no idea just how quick they could put together a plan. She also knew better than to question either of them even though everything in her wanted to know more. To keep herself from badgering them both she drank down the rest of ale floating in the mug and was just about to send Anthony for another when she was grabbed by the wrist. Damian was leaning close to her ear now whispering even softer than he had been earlier.
Listen to me Le. Get up, act like nothing is wrong, and act like you're heading for the back of the tavern towards the washrooms... don't go in... go right out the back door and right to the stables that Alisa has in back. Find an empty stall and bury yourself in it...
Damian might have been whispering but there was a slight hint of panic in his tone. She went to look around to see what could have caused the change in her brother but Anthony stopped her.
Do as you're told Le, and for god sake keep the wiggle out of your hips when you walk.
Anthonys tone was harder and that was all she needed to listen to them both. Standing up she dug in the pocket of her jeans and slapped some coins down on the table and made it appear like she was doing just what they said. She walked keeping in mind not to let her hips sway towards the back of the tavern, she stayed calm until she was in the hall and then she turned just to get a glimpse of what had her brothers behaving like Satan himself had come into the tavern. Satan himself had come into the tavern, she saw him standing tall looking like some beast from a horror novel. Rafe Cromwell was not an ugly looking man by any means. Broad shoulders, muscles everywhere, hair as black as pitch... what made him such a beast was not only his size but his eyes. His green eyes were cold. So cold that even being hidden from his sight, she shivered. He opened his mouth to greet her brothers and that was all it took for her to turn around and run straight to where Damian had told her. She found an empty stall and breathed a small sigh of relief seeing the mound of hay in the far corner. She moved that hay to a spot in the stall that would be untouched by moonlight should anyone come into the stables, and she buried herself just as Damian had said. Minutes went by and she was still having a hard time slowing her breathing, so in an attempt to keep herself from panicking she filled her mind with memories of times gone by, back when she and her brothers were much younger, and freer. Sometime during her wait for her brothers to collect her once it was safe, she fell asleep.
Lelani
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner