Winds of War (OOC)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Winds of War (OOC)

Postby PoisonedDragon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 pm

I've been out of commission for a while, due to work and personal concerns, but now that things have settled down, I really want to get back into RPing. I've decided to start a new RP since most of the active ones on the board are quite far along in their stories, and coming in partway through is tough, even if you read back to the beginning.

The RP will basically be a mid-level Dungeons and Dragons campaign, but pure roleplay. No dice rolling or skill checks or rule system. The setting will be the Faerun D&D world, the Forgotten Realms setting many of us would be familiar with from the many books and games based in that world. I will include a link the Faerun Wiki at the end of this thread. Based on my mid-level plan, PCs should have between 10-14 total levels. Character levels will be used primarily to determine what special abilities a character has, and as a guideline of what a character can or cannot accomplish.

I do have a general storyline in mind, but I want this to be fairly open-ended. Since its open ended, feel free to make your characters good or evil as you see fit, but do not kill other PCs without their express permission. As the storyline progresses, the PCs will likely all come together into a party or parties, but for the beginning they can start in seperate places and gradually drift together as things progress.

Now, for some more on characters. As I previously mentioned, characters should have between 10-14 total levels. Multi-class characters are perfectly welcome, but I do not like the idea of monsters as characters, as they tend to unbalance things. Since we're playing pure roleplay, many of the numbers associated with character creation are irrelevant, so we will leave them off the character sheets. If you want to roll your character for your own use, go ahead. If you don't have access to the core rule books and want help with a character, PM me and I'll help you come up with something. Because we'll be playing mid-levels, characters should be considered to be veteran adventurers or soldiers or whatever else you can think of, and will therefore have already accumulated a fair amount of experience, wealth, and equipment. Giving your character magic items is fine, within reason of course.

Now, on to the character I will be playing. Please post your characters in a similar format. You don't have to include all the details I do, or you can go beyond what I do and give even more info, its up to you.

Name: Vicril Silversong (Commonly called Vic by those who know him, and as Master Silversong among members of his order)
Race: Human
Class: Monk
Alignment: Lawful Good
Affiliation: Order of the Silver Dragon
Level: 13
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 155 lbs
Hair: Bald
Eyes: Grey

Description: At first glance, Vicril is not much to look at. His clothes are very simple, consisting of white linen pants with silver threading held up by a belt that appears to be a simple length of rope, a sleeveless white tunic, a straw cone-shaped hat held on by a strip of black cloth, and a pair of worn sandles. He carries a plain-looking quarterstaff of grey wood. He also wears a pair of plain-looking silver bracers and a plain-looking silver ring on the middle finger of each hand. When not wearing his hat, the tattoos of his order are visible on his shaved head, simple yet elegant designs in black ink. The tattoos extend down the back of his neck and cover the upper portion of his back and shoulders.

Special Abilities: Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike, Improved Evasion, Fast Movement, Still Mind (Resistance to Enchantment), Ki Strike (Magic, Lawful), Slow Fall 60ft, Purity of Body (Immunity to Disease), Wholeness of Body (Self-Healing), Diamond Body (Immunity to Poison), Abundant Step, Diamond Soul (Spell Resistance).
(Note: If you do not know what all of these do, don't worry about it, these will be for roleplay purposes only, so that I and the rest of you are aware of what he can do. I will use his abilities as necessary during roleplay, and if anyone goes "how the hell can he do that?" its probably something from this list.)

Feats: Stunning Fist, Endurance, Dodge, Deflect Arrows, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Diehard, Snatch Arrows.
(Note: Again, if you don't know what all of these do, don't worry about it.)

Equipment: Quarterstaff of Ki Focus +2 (Channels his Ki Strike ability), Monk's Belt (Enchanted, improves his fighting ability when unarmed or using Monk weapons), Bracers of Armor +2, Ring of Sustenance(Left Hand), Ring of Mind Shielding(Right Hand), Clothes (See Description).

Background: As an infant, Vicril was orphaned and taken in by the Order of the Silver Dragon, a monastic order reputedly formed over a thousand years ago by a powerful silver dragon to be defenders of the land. He had a natural talent and temperament that made him perfect for service in the order, and started his training at a very young age. At the age of 18, when his initial training was completed he was granted the rank of Adept and left the monestary on a journey of enlightenment to help the helpless, defend the land, and improve his own abilities. He travelled the land for 11 years, making quite a name for himself along the way.Throughout his travels he always upheld the highest values of his order, putting his own life at risk countless times in defense of those who could not defend themselves. From time to time he joined with other adventurers in pursuit of a common goal, spending as long as 4 years with one group led by a Paladin of the Radiant Heart.

His most notable exploit to date was his role in the defeat of the Illithid sorcerer known as Kaaz, whose army of thralls and undead threatened an entire kingdom. He and the previously mentioned group of adventurers tracked Kaaz to his underground lair, and there did battle with the dreaded Illithid and his Drow lieutenants. They emerged victorious, and Vicril himself dealt the killing blow to the Illithid, his training and discipline rendering him immune to Kaaz's psionic abilities. The victory was a mixed blessing however, as two of their number were killed during the confrontation, including the leader of their party, the Paladin of the Randiant Heart. Their party disbanded and Vicril made the long journey back to the monestary.

Upon his return, Vicril was granted the title of Master of the Order, one of seven who serve under Grandmaster Dona. He quickly settled into the routine of monastic life. For the past two years he has spent his time meditating, training young monks, and serving the needs of the people in the lands immediately surrounding the monestary.

~~

Well, that's it for now, feel free to post you characters and then jump right in. You don't have to wait for approval from me, this is completely open, although I do ask that you do post a character here so that the rest of us know what you're doing. My first post will be up in the next few hours.

As promised, here is the link to the Faerun Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Faer%C3%BBn
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Re: Winds of War (OOC)

Postby Thenician » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:56 am

Dude, that's perfect. I actually have a level 13 character I was going to use in my D&D group that I'm no longer playing with. I was really excited about using him and now I have a perfect opportunity. If only I could find my character sheet.

I'll be back when I find it.
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:38 am

Okay, got it. Now I don't know what D&D version we're playing with, but I suppose for our purposes it doesn't really matter. But for the record, the following character was built using a combination of 3rd edition and 3.5 rules.

Name: Algritharid'Vuorator (Is the name given to him by his illithid master, though I will be calling him Rid for short.)
Class: Barbarian 2 / Psion 6 / Metamind 5 (For funsies, he can only use his metamind trigger powers while raging.)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Affiliation: Favored Thrall of the late Illithid Sorcerer Kaaz
Level: ECL 13, See Class for details...
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 135
Hair: Shaved
Eyes: Right eye, brown. Left eye, white and glazed over. (Previously, his illithid master had enchanted his left eye in order to see what he sees and communicate instructions and psychic training. Also to deal out punishment.)

Description: Most notable of Rid's features are his psionic tattoos. Not so much their pattern as the fact that they look like they were carved into his skin by a hot blade rather than drawn. The pattern itself looks like crudely drawn lines that begin around his left eye and branch outward in almost every possible direction, reaching around the top of his head down to his shoulders, ignoring most of the right side of his face, and down the left side of his face covering most of his neck and left shoulder and pectoral. This obviously brings much more attention to his blind eye than it would attract by itself. It's because of this that he normally wears a hooded cloak over his other cloak and magical equipment.

Since Rid's life was spent mostly in the underdark, his complexion is pale, almost grey-skinned with just a hint of living human tone. Though he has already spent enough time on the surface now to get used to the blinding light of day, his skin is always trapped under some dark garment or another. Beneath his cloaks, and his armor, he still wears the thick tattered rags of a slave. Though being Kaaz's favored thrall granted him enough to keep from looking like a beggar.

Special Abilities: Psicrystal, Power Psicrystal, 7 Psionic Combat Modes (Attack: Psychic Crush, Mind Blast. Defense: Empty Mind, Thought Shield, Mental Barrier, Intellect Fortress, Tower of Iron Will.), 3 Trigger Powers (See Powers...), Fast Movement +10, Rage 1/day, Uncanny Dodge.

Feats: Inner Strength x4, Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative, Quicken Power, Twin Power, Power Penetration.

Powers Known:
Level 0: Far Hand, Inkling, Detect Psionics, Daze, Missive, Telempathic Projection.
Level 1: Matter Agitation, Stomp, Sense Link, Lesser Mindlink.
Level 2: Control Body, Detect Thoughts, Body Adjustment (Trigger Power).
Level 3: Greater Concussion (Trigger Power), Schism, Dimension Slide (Trigger Power).
Level 4: Telekinesis.

Equipment: Amulet of Health +6, Crystalline Breastplate of Quickness +2, Boots of Striding and Springing, Defending Spiked Gauntlet +3, Cloak of Resistance +3, Ring of Force Shield (Left), Bag of Holding Type I (Lined internally with steel mesh to prevent piercing. Filled to capacity with common daggers, short swords, and any number of other small blades.), and Clothes (See description.).

Background: Until recently, Rid knew nothing of life outside of service to his master. He had served him for as long as he could remember. Whether that was an actual fact or his memories were tampered with when he was enthralled does not matter to him. All he concerned himself with was the need to avenge his master. He knew exactly who to look for since the illithid sent him telepathic images of his murderers as he was struck down. So potent were these final images that they physically seared the flesh of Rid's left eye and psionic tattoos, forever burning the faces of his targets in his memory.

Along with the images, Kaaz also sent the location and psychic code to a secret vault which contained some gold and equipment to get Rid started on his quest.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 am

I use version 3.5 cause its what I know, I think version 4 has recently come out, but I don't know anything about it. Having him be Kaaz's is fine, and it should be fun playing opposite one another, Vicril really hates Psionics. If you're gonna do that, feel free to make up any detail you need, though I did already come up with a location. Kaaz's rise to power threatened the kingdom of Muranndin which is south of Amn over the the Small Teeth mountains. His lair was underground in the upper reaches of the underdark, the entrance being in the Small Teeth just to the north of the city of Murann. I hadn't really gotten farther than that, so you can fill in any details you need.

As for your equipment, don't worry about scaling it back too much, since Vicril's is actually very low, less than half of what it should be based on the wealth by level table. I deliberately made it low, since he's a Monk and lives a minimalist life. Just make sure that the equipment fits into the wealth by level, at 13 the total equipment value shouldn't exceed 110,000 gp.

Edit: Oh, and as for when, Kaaz was defeated about 2 years ago based on the storyline, it was immediately before Vicril's return to the monestary.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Alright, that's more like it. I wanted to add details to the background about having already hunted some of those responsible for Kaaz's death, but I didn't want to make stuff about about Vicril's companions during that encounter. So if you could PM or email me about it I can get started writing tonight after work.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Looks good, I'm looking forward to your post. I sent you that email with the info on the party that took down Kaaz.

Also, for anyone interested in play but who does not have access to D&D core information, here's another link: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:02 am

Alright, that took forever. It's been a long time, that felt like work.

Anyway, I'm about to send you a PM. It's nothing special, but it will contain spoilers, so I didn't want to post it here in case you read this first.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby rhatigan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Hey guys. I would like to join your rp. I've rped both in forum chat on yahoo as well as old version 2.5 d&d. I know thats wicked old but....

Name: Rhatigan.(if he had a first name he forgot it)
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 170lbs
Allignment: chaotic neutral.
Eyes and hair: dark brown.

Equipment: rhatigan wears an enchanted strieght jacket. The jackets sleeves and straps grow at the rate of human hair which causes him to make alterations. The jacket can also patch small rips on its own leaving small scars on the fabric. He also has an enchanted Kriss dagger. The dagger gives off a distinctive smell of raw metal. When drawn the blade magicly sweats a potent venom that causes rapid decomposition in the victim once the venom enters the blood stream. He also carries a small spell book in a parsel that he keeps strapped closely to his torso under one arm. The book contains many of the spells too complicated for rhatigan to remember. The spells are writen in a coded text that only rhatigan can understand.

Background: Rhatigan used to belong to an secret ancient society of necromancers and assassins called the "bonelotus". They trained him in advanced necromancy as well as martial skill and military techniques. They also trained him in almost torturous methods. Beating the skills into his subconcious. His magic has limits but his solid and grim determination can lead rhatigan to suprising feats of skill and prowess. He is over 150 years of age due to bonelotus mages assisting with his vitality. He is able to channel pure raw black magic in small amounts to keep his unnatural life. He appears to be no older than 27. Rhatigan excaped the grip of the bonelotus and injoys his solitary existence as a gravedigger in a well populated harbor town.

Demenor: rhatigan tends to be very sarcastic now that he is out from under the bonelotus' strict eyes. He can be very stoic and quiet one moment, then singing, dancing and having fun the next. After living in darkness for so long rhatigan is injoying his life in the light and amongst people.

If you have any more questions or if I left anything out let me know.
rhatigan
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Looks good rhatigan, doesn't seem like you left out anything critical for RP purposes. If you're not familiar with Faerun and the Forgotten Realms setting, check out the Wiki link. Then pick a good spot to start your character and jump right in. I'm handling the main storyline on my own for now, and Thenician and I have a little side story going on simultaneously so if you have any ideas of how to work yourself into either just PM us. Other than that, its pretty well open, you can start your own seperate storyline if you want, then bring it together with the others at a later time. Just remember to have fun.

Also, I will be playing a second character, sheet to follow shortly, just have to finish the background portion of her character sheet.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Ash_Ev » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Hey guys, Thanks for the email PD, this sounds like a good time.

Okay, so here's what I've got:

Character: Ash Ev
Classes: Bodyguard/Protector
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Religion: None

Ash has never been what others would call ordinary. He has no magical ability nor does he seek any. His life as a child was troubled, and Ash grew up in poverty. When he was still a boy his father sold him into the service of a young lord. His father called it an apprenticeship but it was little better than slavery. As a boy of fourteen he was sent to live with Duke Cajanis where he was given over to the master of arms to begin his training. Ash spent the next several years learning to fight and received constant beatings and injury durring his lessons. He never developed socially and became more reclusive. As he grew in age and in skill Ash began to embrace his training instead of loathing it like many of the other youths he had been trained with. Ash learned cruelty, humility and a sense of loyalty. In all aspects Ash had spent most of his life living and breathing the propaganda that accompanied his cruel lessons. In the end he was sent to fight and to kill on behalf of his master.

After years of service Ash had raised himself to a level worthy of note from his master and became one of his lord's bodyguards. The life of a bodyguard was a difficult one for that house. There were constantly enemies and threats coming forward. Ash had grown used to pain and no longer cared if he was injured in a conflict. His body is a map of scars, and several sword cuts have left unisghtly gashes and scars across his face. Ash has never been an attractive man, and his scars are proof of his years of service amongst the confict.

Ash is most proficient with a short spear and spiked tower shield, yet he carries a long sword at his hip as well. He wears a steel breastplate but does not wear a helmet or any other markings of his station.

Some skills Ash has learned along his journey include:

Alertness
Blind fight
Cleave
Combat expertise
Combat reflexes
Greater weapon focus
Greater weapon specialization
Improved critical
Power attack
Quick draw
Weapon focus
Weapon specialization

Ash's loyalty to his master and his family was absolute, so thorough were his lessons beat into him. One of his lord's sons had gone into the world to seek his fortune, and news had just returned about his progress. Duke Cajanis learned that his son had been travelling with a caravan that had been attacked. His son was killed at the roadside. Ash has been sent to investigate his death and bring revenge on behalf of his lord.

So to put it simply he'll be investigating the same occurrence as the rest of us and hopefully by doing that he'll meet up with the other players and we'll go on from there.

I'll try to get my first poist up shortly but it probably won't be today.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
Ash_Ev
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Welcome Ash, good to have you on board, jump in whenever you're ready.

As promised here is the sheet for the second character I will be playing:

Name: Rayna Amakiir(Gemflower)
Race: Moon Elf
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Affiliation: Greycloaks of Evereska
Level: 14
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 90 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green with flecks of gold

Description: Rayna can only be described as stunningly beautiful. He Shiny black hair extends to her waist and she usually wears it in a tight braid to keep it out of her face. Her facial features are exotic, as expected from her Elven heritage, and perfectly proportioned. Her body, though petite, is also perfectly proportioned with good muscle tone. Unless she is at her home in Evereska she is constantly armored in her enchanted suit of Elven Chain, over which she wears a plain-looking grey hooded cloak. From each hip hangs a black leather scabbard holding one of her two longswords.

Special Abilities: 3 Favored Enemies(Undead, Aberrations, and Constructs), Track, Wild Empathy, Combat Style Mastery(Dual-Wield), Endurance, Animal Companion(Dire Wolf), Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker, Evasion, Camouflage.

Feats: Weapon Focus(Long Sword), Two-Weapon Defense, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack.

Equipment: Elven Chain(Enchanted, counts as light armor), Holy Longsword of Ghost Touch +2(Good aligned, able to hit incorporeal, wielded in left hand), Keen Longsword of Wounding +2(Extra sharp, causes extra bleeding damage, wielded in right hand), Cloak of Elvenkind(Bonus to Hide), Boots of Elvenkind(Bonus to Move Silently), Bracers of Blinding Strike(Increased attack speed), Ring of Feather Falling(Left Hand), Ring of Climbing and Jumping(Right Hand).

Background: Rayna was raised in the High Elf city of Evereska. Her parents were both powerful Archmages, but Rayna was always more adventurous and outgoing. She loved to spend her time in the Forgotten Forest and very early on in her life she developed a very special bond with nature. At the same time she grew to hate all that was unnatural. When she came of age, Rayna took the logical path, devoting her life to the way of the Ranger. She joined the Greycloaks of Evereska, and upon completion of her training left her homeland to see the world.

Rayna spent years wandering up and down the Sword Coast, from its northern end in Icewind Dale to the southern tip at Calimport. She also travelled to the northeast as far as Damara, and to the southeast as far as the Forest of Amtar. Every few years she would return to Evereska to report to her superiors, but she never stayed long. On one such visit she was requested by the ruling Council of Elders to investigate reports of mysterious deaths and disappearances in the region surrounding the Small Teeth mountains.

It was on that trip that she joined with a group of adventurers led by a Paladin of the Radiant Heart, a group which also included an Adept Monk of the Order of the Silver Dragon named Vicril Silversong. Together the group of adventurers hunted and destroyed the Illithid known as Kaaz. Two of their number died in that fateful battle, and though she had known them for but a year, Rayna grieved heavily for their loss. The four survivors stayed together only a short while before going their seperate ways, and Rayna returned to her home in Evereska, where she was made a Captain of the Greycloaks for her role in the destruction of the Illithid. In the two years since Kaaz's fall she has spent most of her time wandering the Forgotten Forest as she did as a child. She takes great comfort in the presence of her Dire Wolf companion, Fenrir, who stands as tall as a horse and half again as long, with grey-black fur.

And here's a nice picture of her in her armor, except for the hair of course, hers is long and black instead:

PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby rhatigan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 pm

*thumbs up* thanks. This is gonna be awesome when we start bringing these charicters together. Considering the emelents...... Mighty sweet. I hope you guys injoy my charicters poetry(sort of poetry)..... Lemme know if its lame and I won't do it. *thumbs up*
rhatigan
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 pm

If anybody read my latest post before 6:10 PM EST, read it again. I added to it.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Hey guys, I have family visiting this weekend, so I probably wont get to post until Monday. Just wanted to give you guys notice.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Ok, I guess Ash didn't post in all that time, oh well. I just got a little bit in, can't do much until we're ready to advance the story, so there.

Anyway, sorry for taking so long, I had a pretty busy weekend.

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking of adding another character, but I don't feel like actually writing up a character sheet right now, so we'll see.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Ash_Ev » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey guys, sorry for my disapearance there. I had intended to post far earlier but as life would have it a lot of stuff has come up personally. Unfortunately I can't predict when I'm going to have any free time for the next few weeks at least. I know that's not fair to you guys here, so I'll be ducking out of the story. Sorry again guys for the delay in posting. I was hoping I could work things out sooner and get back to writing.

I'll still be reading the thread as time permits, but I don't want to hold anyone up by continuing as a character if I can't be reliable.

Have a good one, and I talk to you soon,
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
Ash_Ev
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 pm

Wordburgers. Life happens.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand