Veiled Visions (OOC 3.0 - Recruiting again)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Veiled Visions (OOC 3.0 - Recruiting again)

Postby Bretina » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:04 am

First RP thread
Current RP thread

First OOC thread
Last OOC thread

Okay. I figured we could use a little more fresh meat so that it's not just me and Elijah posting...though if a certain Lusoth type would get his butt in gear, it wouldn't be so bad. *clears throat* Anyhow, I just wanted to let all the writer types know that this thread is open to new input and writers. All I ask is that you give the RP a run through before just throwing a character sheet out there. I know it's a lot of reading, but you need to know what this world has been molded into.

Here's some basic info that will help though:
1. The time period is essentially Victorian, so keep that in mind when dressing and arming your character. Firearms exist, but are the single shot then reload types...or cannons on ships.
2. There are primarily two countries in which this story is set, Yugaron and Phaeretii. Yugaron is nominally the 'bad' side, and Phaeretii is nominally 'good.' You'll find upon reading that things aren't exactly as they seem.
3. Magic does operate in this world, but it is not practiced openly in either country. When it is practiced, it's usually simple spells that a midwife or herb witch might use. There is a land beyond the explored regions where dragons still exist, but to the public at large they are myth. Elves have been here, but are either in hiding or have died out. Only a few people can claim fae blood, but they don't do so.
4. There is a mythology in development. See the RP for a handful of myths and god/goddess names. We're working on quite the pantheon, but it's flexible since it -is- a work in progress.

I'll let anyone else who has been participating and is still around give any pointers they can think of. It's late, and I just spent over an hour trying to remember what the password is for my wireless network so my roommate could get online...and trying to write a post at the same time. Not something I'd recommend by the way.
"Let the dreamers and seers keep watch.
It is what we do."
Bretina
Stablehand

Re: Veiled Visions (OOC 3.0 - Recruiting again)

Postby Taldric » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:38 am

I dunno about fresh meat, I'm more of a well-done steak that's been sitting in an icebox for a year or so, but I'm hoping I'm salvageable. Just finished the OOC threads and am starting on the RP now. It's 1:30 in the morning, but I'm on watch for a couple more hours and I'm hopped up on coffee/"jetfuel". I think I'll be able to finish the threads tonight and then get a bio up for you in the next day or two if not tonight.
--------<|--Taldric--|>--------
Making the world a better place, one heathen at a time.
Taldric
Stablehand

Postby Taldric » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 am

Name: Gandil Filmandor
Race: Human
Height: 6’0”
Build: Long limbed, athletic
Hair: Bald, but maintains a thin, white/blonde beard
Eyes: Pale gray

Weaponry: Ivory-hilted Butterfly Knife- razor sharp, but has the weight to cleave bone.
Whip, Darts/needles. Executioners Ax.

Special Skills: Alchemy- Potions/Poisons, Deception/Propaganda

Appearance: Gandil typically wears loose, baggy clothing in black or shades of gray, and oft times goes hooded which helps maintain his pale complexion. When in this garb, he wears a set of iron bracers, the right of which hides a tattoo featuring the symbol of the death god, Dyrhos. The bracers have slots where Gandil stores a few of his poisoned needles. He is not the type who would stand out in a crowd unless you chanced upon his eyes. He possesses a penetrating gaze that leaves the observed feeling that all their secrets are bared. The condemned might even call his eyes cold and lifeless leaving chills as they pass in the moments before the axe falls. In sadness his gray iris’ drift towards black giving his eyes the appearance of shadowed pits. In happier, albeit exceedingly rare, times his eyes wax lighter and seem to glow with life. For formal affairs, Gandil sports a suit of black platemail chased in crimson.

History: Gandil is the landless, youngest son of a lesser noble. He was commissioned in the Phaerettian army upon reaching adulthood. Gandil made a name for himself serving during border skirmishes where he never shied away from the dirty, distasteful jobs that were inevitable but others sought to avoid. While Gandil was on leave in the capital during a lull in the fighting the former High Executioner had made his intentions to retire known, and Gandil had applied for the much maligned, yet well paying job. Due to his unblemished record and the lack of other suitable candidates (the gutter trash and bandits were turned down), Gandil was selected for the job. Since attaining his post, Gandil has fostered an aura of fear in public with few words, and those of dark mien, and clinical precision in his bloodletting. Rumors of foul torture and horrible deeds abound around the man, but no evidence has ever surfaced. However, within closed circles Gandil is known to be well spoken and compassionate, willing to lend a helpful hand or offer friendly advice.

Is he good trying to be bad, or bad trying to be good? ...I still haven't decided myself.
Taldric
Stablehand

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:56 am

Taldric wrote:Appearance: Gandil typically wears loose, baggy clothing in yellow or shades of violet, and oft times wears a vibrant peacock feather hood which helps maintain his pale complexion. When in this garb, he wears a set of satin bracers (impractical perhaps, but the height of fashion for certain!), the right of which hides a tattoo featuring the symbol of the party god, Dyrhos. The bracers have slots where Gandil stores a few of his eyeliner pencils. He is not the type who would stand out in a crowd unless you have eyes...For formal affairs, Gandil sports a suit of gold platemail chased in hot pink.

Fixed that for you. Now Febre can have an opposite number.
*eyeshifts*
WHAT?
Eddie Kim sends his regards, motherfucker!
WhY so SeriOUs?
FOXHOUND - It'll make you a god damn sexual tyrannosaur, just like me!
Dyvim Tvar
International Superstar

Postby Taldric » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 am

Only if you plan on posting with him, D.T. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm pretty one dimensional in my posting. I'm gonna try to throw some new twists in, but let's not go crazy :wink:

It'll actually be a couple days before I get a chance to sit down and write a full-fledged post. I've got an Oral Board on Saturday that I didn't expect to get scheduled for another month or so, and I'm busy cramming 36 Megs of miscellaneous naval trivia into my head. Needless to say my brain's pretty fried :?
Taldric
Stablehand

Postby Mykayla » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Dyvim just thinks that all characters should dress like he does. :twisted:
-I'm high like heaven, and I'm strong like music-
Mykayla
Squire

Postby Mykayla » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm

*nudges everyone* Did everyone who was going to post fall off the face of the Earth? :P

Did I mention I'm feeling unloved? :cry:
Mykayla
Squire

Postby The Next Dyvim Tvar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 pm

So the way I see it that Febre post must buy me what, another year of no posting, right?
Like John Leslie but without the Scottish accent and fractionally less rape allegations from Ulrika Jonsson.
The Next Dyvim Tvar
Stablehand

Postby Taldric » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm

No, it buys the rest of us a year of no posting. You on the other hand must struggle to single-handedly breathe life back into the thread now that you've started.
Taldric
Stablehand

Postby The Next Dyvim Tvar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Son of a bitch.
Who signed off on that shit? That does it, I totally need a new agent!
Like John Leslie but without the Scottish accent and fractionally less rape allegations from Ulrika Jonsson.
The Next Dyvim Tvar
Stablehand

Postby Mykayla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 pm

He's bought no one any extra time. In fact, by revitalizing my hopes, he's given the rest of you even less time before I start my usual pestering.

As for signing on for this, you were doomed the moment you decided to be my friend. Sorry about that. :wink:
Mykayla
Squire

Postby Taldric » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Have the floodgates opened? Two posts in a week? VV might be alive again :D

Although I suppose that could be a bit premature :banghead:
Taldric
Stablehand

Postby The Next Dyvim Tvar » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 pm

I bring word from our omnipresent thread ruler and queen of the universe. It seems my spur of the moment changing of the Yugaron capital city from Dornaron to Daeinicea is now an official change, because Daeinicea is fuckawesome.

Please note I am paraphrasing the Queens' decree.
The Next Dyvim Tvar
Stablehand

Postby Mykayla » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:09 pm

*walks through whistling innocently...not at all looking like she's trying to see if anyone is still around who might post on Phaeretii's side of things...and certainly not drawing attention to the fact that she owes a post on the Yugaron side of things*
Mykayla
Squire

Postby Thenician » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:42 am

Wow. So this is what happens to a thread when people just wont let it die. I'm impressed.

I dunno if I can come back in, have a lot of catching up to do. And since I don't remember crap thanks to a certain plant, I'll have to read the whole thing from the beginning. I'm SOOOOO looking forward to that. All I remember is my character was so lame. Though I didn't know it at the time, all my characters have evolved since back then, so it would be weird to continue with them. On the other hand, I kinda left a mystery in the air that I don't feel right about ignoring. Though maybe it would help if I solved the mystery in my mind before writing about it. Winging mysteries just doesn't work.

But for now, it's almost 6am and I gotta go to my old man's house to help him move a huge refrigerator in a few hours, so I'm going to bed.
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Mykayla » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:18 am

I've never been one for letting sleeping threads lie. As it stands though, I am on a smidge of a hiatus while I try to get my shit together (yeah...no formal announcement until now I suppose, though my lack of annoying prodding has surely been noticed). Until I can convince myself that sitting in front of the computer at home is different than sitting in front of the computer all day at work, I will not be posting. That said, this thread is still not dead yet. It's been cryogenically frozen and we're waiting until the technology exists to revitalize it. *nodsnods*
Mykayla
Squire

Postby The Next Dyvim Tvar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:25 pm

So does that mean you won't notice if I turn it into "The heroic saga of Captain Rafael Febre and his ongoing battle against the nefarious Calmarian invasion force!" then?
The Next Dyvim Tvar
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner