Ancient Evil (RP - OOC)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Ancient Evil (RP - OOC)

Postby PoisonedDragon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:43 pm

I have been working on this idea for some time now, and have finally decided to bring it into the light. Hopefully it will draw some interest. I am perfectly willing to run with it alone, but it would work out a lot better with some more characters, so if you are interested in joining please keep the following in mind:

1. This will begin as a low-level RP. All characters should be just starting out, with no more skill than they would have gained in the time between childhood and adulthood. If they received special training during that time, be sure to describe that training in detail. Any special powers that a character has should be limited or at least uncontrollable for the time being.

2. Races and professions will be in the D&D style, but with a lot more flexibility. For example, if you want to be a member of a sub-race, or have a different idea for a profession, I have no problem as long as you make it clear in your post what their capabilities are.

3. The RP will not be open for posting. If you want to join, please post a character in the style that I will use later in this post so that I can judge whether it will be a good fit for my story. I am pretty flexible though, so most characters will be approved unless there is something blatantly wrong with them.

4. I can understand that people have schedules that sometimes conflict with their ability to post, and mine will be no exception. However, if your schedule is such that you cannot commit to a minimum of two posts per week, please save everyone the headache and don't bother applying.

There, now that that bit of unpleasantness is out of the way, I can post my character:

Name: Mykael DeLeon
Race: Human
Profession: Knight
Height: 6'1
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair: Medium-Length Brown
Eyes: Dark Blue
Build: Muscular

Special Powers: None for now.
Training: Received training with sword and shield for most of his childhood and adolescence in preparation for knighthood. Was considered by all of his tutors to be a prodigy with the sword. Also trained with bow and arrow for most of that time. Also trained in mounted combat.

History: Mykael is a direct descendant of the great hero Piotyr DeLeon(history of Piotyr will be posted IC). Since the time of Piotyr, the DeLeon family has fallen into dishonor within the kingdom. The family once held the title of Grand Duke, and answered only to the king, their lands stretching for leagues in all directions. Approximately ten generations ago, however, Mykael's ancestor threw his lot in with a group of rebels trying to overthrow the king. When it became obvious that the rebels would lose, that ancestor was assassinated by his own son, who immediately gave his support back to the king. When the war was over the king stripped Mykael's family of their title, reducing them to the rank of Baron, and reducing their holdings to a mere thousand acres of forest and grassland.

Since that time most members of the family have given up hope of restoring their name, and have merely accepted their fate. Mykael's father, however, has a plan. The new Grand Duke is dying, and has no son to take his title. In all the lands under the Grand Duke's control, Mykael is the only male child of age to marry the Duke's only daughter. Mykael's father has been in negotiations for months to arrange the marriage, and is very close to reaching an agreement when Mykael leaves.

Mykael knows nothing of his father's plan, but he does have a plan of his own. To restore his family's honor he will go out into the world on his own and fight for honor and justice, as Piotyr once did. He has resolved himself not to return home until the DeLeon family has been vindicated.

Ok, that's it for my character. I'm off now to put up the IC thread. If you are interested in joining, please post a character and wait for approval. I'm sorry to have to do it this way, but I have had very bad experiences with just allowing people to post as they wish.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Ok, the IC is up, just a few notes now on where other characters could fit into it. Of course the simplest would be for them to join Mykael on his quest, and it would be nice if at least one did, but its not really realistic to think that's what everyone would want to do.

Mykael's father is going to be pissed off, understandably, when he realizes that Mykael is gone. And may want to hire someone to bring Mykael back alive in time for the wedding.

Also, Saul, the Dark One from my history lesson had a few intensely loyal followers who would have lived on in secret in the form of a cult devoted to resurrecting their fallen master, and of course just creating general havoc. It is my intention to have them succeed at resurrecting Saul at some point in the RP, but probably not until the characters have become quite a bit more powerful.

As I said, I'm pretty flexible, so if you have another idea, please let me know.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:49 am

Well it's about time somebody opened a new thread. One of the other threads I'm posting in died when its creator got a new video game. The other involves SOME PEOPLE who only post once a month, (you know who you are).

So I'm offering to bring my attention here. Haven't thought of a character yet, most of my experienced party is exactly that, experienced. I'll wait a few days and see how the story goes, or if anyone else posts a character. Maybe it'll help me decide.
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Darian_Raven » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:43 pm

Hey, hows it going?
It sounds like you've already got some good twists and turns planned. I'd be interested in joining if your still interested in people. I've come up with a character that could work. Let me know what you think anyway.

Here it is:

Name- Darian Spallia
aka: Raven
Race- Human
Eye Color- Dark Brown
Hair Color- Black
Skin Color- Dark Tanned
Occupation- Runnaway and aspiring Quickdraw Swordsman
Gender- Male
Height- 5’ 9”
Weight- 185 Lbs
Age- 20
Weapon- Katana named Aelque

Appearance
Raven keeps his dark hair short and out of his face. He wears black leather armor that is a size too large. On his left side he carries his sword, a large curved blade, (Katana) which he has named Aelque. It is a fine blade he has stolen from his father. He relies so heavily upon that single weapon that he never carries another. His appearance otherwise is clean-shaven, and well kept.

Demeanor and History
Raven has lived a difficult and poor life. His father is a well respected weapons expert and has traveled throughout the world teaching the intricacies of swordplay. Raven was always forced to travel with his father, which never allowed him to remain in one place for long. It was due to the constant relocation that Raven had difficulties meeting people and keeping friends. He has met some of the greatest sword masters from around the world, yet his father strictly refuses to teach him anything. Instead he was often tasked to do menial chores and errands. Even when he would show a keen interest in the art, his father would try to beat the interest out of him. Still, he watched carefully to those he was forced to be around and has learned through his attentiveness if not experience. He understands the principles and techniques required for swordplay, but rarely has a chance to work on them himself. He may come off as confident and capable, but it is part show.

He has not proven himself, and that is something he is desperately seeking. He is a master of himself and his emotions, or at least he tries to be. His personal honor is as valuable to him as his weapon, which to him is his life. He is unable to tolerate insults, and his reprisal is always swift, if not well thought out. He has become relatively accustomed to solitude, though he does enjoy the company of others and strives for acceptance. His nickname ‘Raven’ was given to him by his father, though he had never been given a proper explanation as to its origin or meaning. It has become one of those things he has just come to accept. It has was in part his father’s disinterest in him and his own need of finding self worth that eventually drove Raven to steal his father’s sword. It is a beautiful weapon that Raven intends to build his name on. His intention is to build his name and reputation to a degree that his father is forced to accept him. As of yet, he does not have any experience other than the technical side of it, but he is eager to develop his skills. As he only recently stole the sword and some money he is ready to get on the move and into the world. He doesn’t know where to start looking for this kind of work, but then he didn’t really think that far ahead.

SKILLS

All of Raven’s training was done second hand while he was standing in the background, which means it is unproven and he is bound to make mistakes. The only thing that gives him a fighting chance is his knowledge on how things are suppose to be. He is trying to take after his father, who is best known as a quickdraw swordsmen. This title means that his blade is never out of its sheath longer than it takes to use it. Every attack he does will begin with the sword away, and will end again with it in the same position. As Raven is inexperience, this will be a difficult concept for him to master, but once he becomes more skilled it will sometimes be difficult to see him work. The benefit of this style of swordplay is that it develops reflexes and the fact that most people don't realize they are in danger when his blade is not in his hand. Raven has grown up on stories of his father’s exploits and he intends to match them. He is nowhere near capable enough to defeat an opponent before they knew the battle had begun, but it is something he wants to work on. This surprise element is what help give him an edge, once he can get the hang of some of the more difficult actions. He is not an overly strong man, but the swiftness he commands helps to compensates for this. This style of fighting is deceptive, but its effectiveness is clearly felt. He does not belong to any army or have any sworn allegiances, but he’s open to new ideas.
[center]If you find yourself in a fair fight...your tactics suck.
There are some people who cannot stand the sight of no blood.[/center]
Darian_Raven
Stablehand

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:03 pm

The other involves SOME PEOPLE who only post once a month, (you know who you are).

Yeah, but at least they're really talented.
Eddie Kim sends his regards, motherfucker!
WhY so SeriOUs?
FOXHOUND - It'll make you a god damn sexual tyrannosaur, just like me!
Dyvim Tvar
International Superstar

Postby PoisonedDragon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:23 pm

Hey, its great to see that there's actually some interest, though I find it hard to see how Dyvim's comment is relevant.

Anyway, Thenician, I've read some of your stuff in the past and thought it was excellent. I would be very happy for you to join if you do come up with a character you'd like to use.

Darian, I like the idea of your character. It'll be very interesting to see how it develops as the story progresses. You can feel free to post as soon as my next post is up, I just want to get Mykael on his way before others join.

And yes, I do have some interesting twists and turns planned. At times I will post from other points of view, mostly Mykael's father or a man called Trage, who happens to be Saul's chief mortal servant. By posting from those points of view, everyone will be able to see the current status of those particular groups.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Darian_Raven » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 am

Okay, I've put up my first post. Just a bit of getting the character idea established. Just let me know if there's anything that needs to be altered. I left an actual encounter between the characters up to you. Though feel free to email me if you want to talk about how a meeting could go. I'll PM you the addy.
Darian_Raven
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:55 pm

How 'bout I alter your face?

Hmm, I'll have to add that to my sig line. Anyway, seems there's a few rambunctious boys in this story. I suppose I'll play along. Now, I'm in no mood to make up a new character, and the only inexperienced ones I got are girls. So the question is do you want another inexperienced melee or caster class.

I think I'll go with the caster.

Name: Kiera Dusk
Race: Human (Female)
Profession: Witch

Equipment: Aside from the clothing which Kiera normally transmutes when she desires a change, she carries a strong bamboo staff. At least that's its base form. The staff was enchanted by her instructor to easily assume other weapon forms when a transmutation spell is cast on it, and also remain permanent or until dispelled. Though she's most proficient with the weapon in staff form, she can turn it into any other hafted weapon should she choose to practice or use another.

Appearance: Slightly pale skin, auburn hair, and brown eyes. She is 5'5" and weighs an undisclosed amount of lbs, but she's thin and slightly athletic, so figure it out.

Kiera's appearance changes at will. Her powers of transmutation, though limited, are enough to change her clothing and gear a certain amount.

Powers/Skills: Kiera is talented in casting spells of the Abjuration, Illusion, and Transmutation schools. However her skill with other spells, even universal ones, is pethetic. Because of this, she hasn't bothered to learn any spells from other schools.

She's quite agile but weak. She's skilled enough in the use of staves and polearms to defend herself from some of the more common threats of the world.

Kiera is has great knowledge of sailing, due to her upbringing aboard a ship. She has also been studying herbalism, recently.

History: Kiera Dusk, daughter and only child of Thenician and Rehal Dusk, spent most of her childhood on Thenician's ship, Rehal's Sunset. Her mother was a well known business woman who would hire and train warriors, then rent them out as soldiers, mercenaries, or bounty hunters to whoever required them. Most of her fighters were wanderers who were just passing by, but she did own a few barracks which housed several dozen permanent employees. Rehal met Thenician when he was passing by after leaving the military. She was eager to offer him a job which he accepted. Once the job was done, he stuck around, having nowhere in particular to go. As the years went by, they grew close and eventually married and had a family.

Sadly, Rehal was killed when Kiera was only two years old. An old client, who was bitter after losing a bid for the service of her mercenaries, sent a group of assassins to kill her and her family. Although Thenician managed to kill all of the assassins, it wasn't until after one had gotten to Rehal.

The funeral was attended by mroe people than Thenician expected. Most of the warriors who worked for Rehal and some of those who only met her a few times as they passed through were there. Once the service was over, many came up to Thenician and offered to help him if he chose to go after the man responsible. With the help of more than forty men, Thenician took his daughter and stole a ship from the military harbor.

The ship was named Rehal's Sunset, after the woman they were all loyal to. This was the place where Kiera grew up and spent most of her childhood. Though the men all treated her as their own child and protected her, they all knew that it was important for her to learn to defend herself. And though she'd shown some magical aptitude as a child, once she was old enough to lift a weapon, Thenician insisted they all do what they can to teach her to survive. However, his first mate, Virgo, a former paladin, insisted in the value of magical training as well. So she was responsible for Kiera's studies.

Through the few years of physical training, Kiera showed little aptitude for armed combat. She failed attempts to build enough strength to use solid metal weapons practically. She did develop some athletic talents and some ability with lighter wooden weapons such as staves, spears, and polearms. Due to the weight and length of these weapons and her agility, she's managed to develop a style of combat where she uses the weapons for leverage instead of direct combat. Still, most of her talent went into a few specific schools of magic. She showed the most promise with transmutation spells, and also fair ability with illusion and abjuration spells.

Eventually, Kiera wanted to see how far her magical abilities could grow. After a few accidents aboard the ship, involving illusionary fog and sails turned into wood, it became obvious that Kiera's training needed a more specialized facility.

The story will start from here.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:52 pm

Need another? I need another thread to feed my post addiction. The doctor suggests I should cut down, but hey, what do doctors know anyways? :wink:

Lemme know what you think.

Name: Wes ((Whatever it was short for has long been forgotten))
Race: Half-Elven.
Profession: Boy-thief and all round rascal.
Age: 16 ((Give or take a few years, he's not really sure, though he's pretty certain he's old enough to drink, though perhaps not old enough to handle it))
Height: 5ft 6"
Build: Slight, though he's tougher than he looks, which is good, because he doesn't look like he could fight his way out of a paper bag.
Eye colour: Pale blue.
Hair: Dirty-blonde, especially now as he's two weeks passed his last wash. Looks like someone's gone at it with a pair of rusty shears. Which is pretty near the truth of the matter.
Distinguishing features: His ears, slightly elongated and ending in a point. And there's something just not right about his eyes. They're just a little too pale.

Training/Powers: No powers whatsoever. Everything he's learned he's taught himself or picked up from seeing other rascals on the streets at work. He's an accomplished thief, from simple cut-pursing, to sleight-of-hand coupled with street theatrics designed to distract a mark, to stealing that silver piece you thought was well hidden in the bottom of your boot. Nothing is safe. Luckily Wes is anything but greedy or malicious. He steals only what he needs to survive (with a tiny little extra percentage) and often will give some of his 'take' to the unfortunates that border the filthy backstreets of Tallus. He has a remarkable sense of balance and is very quick and agile on his feet.

History: When Saul rose to power, the first to be corrupted were the Elves, so near lay their homes to the mountain, that they were wholly overtaken by the dark forces that exploded out across the lands. They became Saul's Elite, a nation of warriors, man,woman and child, their wills bent towards the subjugation of the other races. Even when Saul fell, some of these continued their attacks, raiding towns and villages and waiting for the moment that Saul would return so that they could raise his banner once more. Wes' father was one such elf, Morgrai Elthial, one of the former advance Black Legion. During one particularly vicious raid, seventeen years before, Morgrai's squad came upon a farm in the dead of night and slaughtered the old owner and his two sons. Morgrai himself raped the man's daughter and then left her at death's door, though she survived but was unable to recover the strength needed over the following months to survive childbirth. She did however, survive long enough to reach a chapel before the birth. The Sisters there brought up the child until the signs of his father's race began to show in the boy, then they set him out alone in the world, afraid that their God would punish them for harbouring a 'demon-child'.

That should do for now. Let me know what you think of my take on the elves and whether or not it fits in with what you had in mind. Plus any alterations in general. I'm open.
"I give hope to men, I keep none for myself."
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:33 pm

How 'bout I alter your face?

Also, I just finished my post. Enjoy.

PS. Should you fail to enjoy, I'll fucking kill you!!!!
PPS. I write a lot of dialogue.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:50 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting, I had to reinstall Windows because my sister started downloading things and my comp was infected with all kinds of viruses and spyware. I bought her her own computer for an early birthday present though so I should be all good from now on.

Ummm, anyways, Elijah your character looks fine, feel free to post, but wait until you read my next one because some things are going to be happening in Tallus when Darian and Mykael arrive that will likely impact your post. I do like where you've taken the elves, and no one should be scared to add things to my world, but the elves would not have been the first to be corrupted, nor would they have been totally corrupted since there are elves in other parts of the world, particularily the north where Piotyr and the other three heroes were from. The dwarves were actually the first to be corrupted since their largest cities were under the mountain where Saul's fortress appeared.

Thenician your post looks great, and I don't mind a lot of dialogue so don't worry about that. Like I said, things will be happening in Tallus that will likely affect your next post. I need to get the actual story kicked off, and it will also help our characters bond, that's assuming of course that we will all be travelling together.

Anyway, my next post should be up in a few moments, hope you guys like where I take it.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:36 pm

Dwarves are gimp. Nobody likes short people. I hope they die in a fire.

Also, "One Hundred Generations..." is a long fucking time. Unless your character's family was was breeding before the age of 10.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:02 pm

Yes, it is a long time, and no, they weren't breeding by the age of ten, but its a fantasy world, that's why its an ancient evil, and why barely anyone remembers anything about it. Even Mykael doesn't really know anything about Piotyr or Saul, or any of it. People remember the basics, the legends of four powerful heroes who saved the world from a great evil, but only a scholar who spent his entire life researching the subject would actually know the names of anyone involved.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:52 am

I see. So it's more like myth and legend than actual history. Like Hercules, or Jesus.

Also, I hate furry jerks. Not as much as short people though.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:10 am

Well, if you hate them so much jump on in and kill a few, Mykael could certainly use the help.

And don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to kill short people if you so desire.

BTW, anyone in the RP who has MSN can feel free to contact me at btbarker13@hotmail.com, although it won't work right now because messenger is down.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:40 am

Well, that was fun. I'm going to New York in a few hours, be back in a week.

Later y'all!

PS. I'll still be able to post while I'm there, so don't worry.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Darian_Raven » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Hey guys,

The story's looking pretty good so far. It didn't take long for the hooks to catch hold.

I'll have a post up hopefully tonight, or tomorrow for sure. I would have had it done by now, but I managed to total my car, so my timeline's been thrown off a little.
Darian_Raven
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:09 pm

[Approved]
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:19 pm

*L* was that about my post or Darian's delay? I've waxed over Kiera's force-field magic thing simply because Wes would never have seen something like that before... hope Kiera didn't mind him dropping in uninvited and all.. *G*
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:02 pm

It's fine, she's never seen someone so brutally mauled anyway, so she's got enough problems right now.
-Bender B. Rodriguez

-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Darian_Raven » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:20 am

Okay, I've got the post up... and its after midnight, damn. haha... So much for having it done before then... I hope that post works for you Mykael. I brought it around to a conclusion, but if you want me to leave it open ended just let me know. It won't take much to change it around.
Darian_Raven
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:57 pm

Got ya Thenician.. I eagerly await your next post.

Darian and Mykael.. that was a well done bit of combat description there.. great to read. Should be interesting to see how these four gel, seeing as they are already quite different people: The untried, untested Mage.. the young scared boy Thief, who's still going to be out for himself.. The Knight Errant and The Swordsman seeking to make his own name.

So in a sense we have the classic D&D party: Mage, Thief, Paladin ((in my eyes anyways)) and the obligatory second warrior ((Ranger perhaps in the Dri'zt fashion)). All we need now is a cleric and we're all set. J/k. :wink:
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:48 am

You're absolutely right Eljah, he is a Paladin, I only put Knight as his profession because that's his training and he doesn't know he's a Paladin yet. As we go he'll start getting some Paladin abilities. Not the same ones as D&D because a lot of them don't work for my story, but they'll still make sense. I also feel very good about the way things are shaping up.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed that little battle sequence, cause its not over yet. Mykael, Darian and those few city guards took out about thirty of the beasts (who for the sake of simplicity we will say are hobgoblins), but that's only a very small portion of the force that attacked Tallus. But you'll see when my next post goes up, probably within the next hour.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby PoisonedDragon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 am

Just so that everyone knows, so that I don't get a million posts and/or e-mails about it. Yes, I know Mykael is not acting very much like a mercenary, that's because he doesn't know how, and if he did know how to act like one he would probably consider it unsavoury.

Also, I just realized that I never gave any description of Mykael's equipment. Its very easy. He's wearing scalemail armor of polished steel with chain leg and arm coverings. He has plate greaves over leather boots, as well as a plate helmet and vambraces over leather gloves. He has was in D&D would be considered a large steel shield which is round and also polished. Going back to D&D terminology, all of his equipment should be considered to be of Masterwork quality.
PoisonedDragon
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 pm

I'm sorry, I really hate doing this... but I have to.. *L*

"The other involves some people who only post once a month" <---- Thenician

well... it has been nearly a week......

Plus: "I'm going to New York in a couple of hours. Be back in week..... P.S I'll still be able to post while I'm there....." <---- Thenician.

Yeah I'm fast becoming a quote whore. I'm guessing T dropped into an Irish bar and hasn't left his stool all week. :P
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Next

Return to Writers Corner