The Price of Knowledge

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

The Price of Knowledge

Postby Zanafien » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:44 am

PRELUDE

The man stood solemnly watching the tendrils of purplish smoke swirling above a golden cauldron. A small smile crept across the landscape of the weathered face, one use to, or so it would seem, the outdoors and definitely not what a person might expect from what many believed to be one of the most powerful sorcerers of the time.

He turned slowly away, the heavy dark grey robes lined with silver thread barely stirring while the man moved to a glowing orb located on the rugged stump of a massive tree trunk. His ocean blue-green eyes sparkled as he glanced at the orb he had expended so much power into. It had been a consistent thing, each day, constantly pushing a portion of his considerable power into this orb.

Over the course of his lifetime, since coming into his powers, he had siphoned off a portion of his energies and placed them in this container. At first, the young man had no idea what use it would have, but eventually, he decided it could help him conquer the one thing no other sorcerer had, to cheat death absolute. For close to twenty winters without fail he had done this, and now it was time for all his research, hard work and patience to pay off.

“Lord Zanafien, do you require my assistance any longer?”

His eyes glanced over to the young woman standing close by. He had taken her in as a student, teaching her the ways of sorcery and all things related to that art. However, this is one experiment she could have no part in, for if his efforts paid off, there would be a windfall of money to be made and more, so much more.

“No, Shasha, your services shall not be needed for the rest of the day. However, you shall take to your domicile the Tome of Shirathi and practice those lessons taught within. You will return to me after seven night’s passage, and have a prepared summary of the Tome and be ready to be tested upon those theories outlined within.”

The woman bowed. “It shall be as you say, my Lord. Luck be with you upon your endeavour.”

He smiled. “Luck shall play no part in this, Shasha. You must learn we do not, as sorcerers, believe in the fates of gods and such, but in our own powers of research, testing and experimentation. I shall accomplish what I set out to do, not because the gods where kind to me, but because I have assured there will be no mistakes.”

She almost melted, the smile combined with those beautiful eyes always brought the best out in the man before her, and his confidence was contagious.

“Of course, my Lord. I shall return to you upon a week’s passage.”

Bowing, she left the laboratory and made haste to the library. She was sure he would wait until she had left and returned to the cottage he had given her behind his tower before starting the main spells for his experiment. She did not wish to keep him any longer than necessary.

Locating the Tome, she quickly made her way out, past the few servants which were still about at this time of the night and heard him begin his incantations as she exited the rear door and made toward her small cottage.

She only worried that he may not have taken all things into consideration, especially since he dismissed the gods so easily. Shasha would never have admitted to her master she truly felt there were those that watch from another place, but the woman had always asked for guidance in all things she did from a higher power. Fortunately, the deity must have been listening, for she was still whole and retained her intellect. There were others who had not been so fortuitous.

She glanced up from the doorway at the nearby tower and watched in fascination as the glow from within the laboratory grew, impressed by her lord’s immense power, power she didn’t think even he realised, but knew others feared.

“He is a man grown. He has conducted years of study and experimentation. He shall be fine.” She stated to no one and entered the cottage, hoping she was correct, but putting forward a small prayer to any deity willing to listen to her plea.

In the tower, Zanafien smiled knowingly as he felt the child leave the grounds. He was attuned with the earth, had evoked the powers of fire, air and water. Now, to wrench from the ether the power of immortality in order to stay young and keep up the work he so desperately wanted to finish.

All was correct, everything was in order and now was the time. He disrobed, his body much like one might find on an elven ranger. Lean, fit and hardened, not what one would expect from a person who studied the arts, but Zanafien was much more. He was a researcher and delved into the mysteries of the past, uncovering ancient knowledge, no matter where the quest for it might take him and this required good physical condition. The powerful spell he was creating now would also demand much from him as well, and to withstand the stresses, he would need his whole body in tune.

He took the orb from the stump into both hands and slowly made his way along a small stair constructed to the top of the cauldron, the incantation continuing as he made his way up. Carefully, he lowered his body into the chaotic mass of liquid within, holding the orb high above his head until he felt the bottom. He finished the incantations with strong voice, as if daring anything to go wrong and immersed himself into the liquid, jerking the orb of in behind him.

An explosion erupted, a rainbow of light flickering down into the laboratory from some unknown source in the heavens, seemingly called down and sucked into the cauldron. Shasha stepped into her doorway, looking up in amazement when her world and that of many others turned into a nightmare as the entire corner tower exploded. A blast wave of power washed over her, tossing her inside like a child throwing away a rag doll and her world turned black.

[center]*Note: Comments or criticism is welcome, however, this is not an open roleplay at this time.[/center]
Chaotic Undead Mage
~It is often better not to see an insult than to attempt to avenge it.~
Zanafien
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner