Passing Views (Closed)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Passing Views (Closed)

Postby Telaria » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:27 pm

I have to fight the fear these days. Once I would have called this paranoia, but ever since my father entrusted his secret with me I've grown increasingly watchful. I can barely believe that I allowed myself to agree to his plan. The very idea that his death might provide me some modicum of protection seems preposterous now. I'm torn between keeping my shields up and leaving them in shambles. Do I wish to stay cloaked, or do I want to know they're coming? They're looking for me.

No.
They're hunting me.

Much of my past arrogance has faded with the change in the seasons. No longer do I think myself impervious to any assault. They know my strengths...and my weaknesses. They know I can sense them, for they can sense me as well. Just as everyone around me once shone like beacons in the dark, so do I now stand out against the ether to my enemies, lighting the way to every place I choose to hide. I've always disliked being surrounded by large crowds, but now it is my only salvation. The masses mask my aura like no shield I could ever contruct. Even so I have to keep moving. The secret I carry is far too precious to be lost to my carelessness.

I am tired beyond my ability to express. My dreams are so frighteningly real that my mind never slips far beneath the level of consciousness. In my sleep I hear them speak to me, taunting me with their knowledge of me, my abilities, and my all-important secret. Their breath is hot on my ear even after I bolt upright with my daggers in hand. These nightmares take far too long to fall away from me. They are haunting enough that I usually find myself packing up in the middle of the night to move on to another town when I've had more than one.

No place is safe for long. There is nowhere I can truly hide. I'm only safe when I'm looking over my shoulders for shadows that are just in the recesses of my mind. I can't afford to be caught off guard. At the risk of sounding overdramatic, the fate of the world lies with me. That's something one of my oldest friends would say, but she was always likely to overstate matters. I, on the other hand, have always sought to speak the barest hints of the truth. Unfortunately, there is no way to downplay the reality of my situation. To say that things are dire and that my life is in danger is to list only the simplest facts. I must protect the secret...the truth.

I am the bearer of the final Orb, and now my life is tied to its fate. My death would be its destruction, but so long as I live, all our lives can continue as they always have.

The war will go on.
Telaria
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner