Changing Winds OOC (Ask if you want to join)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Changing Winds OOC (Ask if you want to join)

Postby Dahlia Atrois » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:02 pm

This is for the background information of the world, character profiles, Writer/Reader comments and updates/ammendments to the background information of the world. The time is pre-history time (typical time setting for D&D games). If you have any questions if certain items exist, IM me at Pseudoangel69 or email me at Lara.Tewes@liu.edu.

For the most part, this is a closed story. If you want to join, IM me and ask. But have a writing sample and a character profile ready for me to look at.

I generally like to keep things uniform, so here are the text formatting rule for the story itself:
1.) For dialogue, put it in quotes
2.) For character thoughts, use italics
3.) DO NOT USE MULTIPLE COLORS OF TEXT (if you have a problem with this, move on to another thread).
4.) NO GOD MODING ALLOWED. If you feel your character has no reasonable chance of surviving without your personal intervention, let it die. Then contact me and we'll work out some way to either "raise the character from the dead" or create a new one, etc.
5.) Describe your character's personality in the profile, please. And adhere to it.

Since this is my first time posting in Evernight, I'm very optimistic and excited. So lets see how things go.

----------------------------------------------
:D [/b]
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
Dahlia Atrois
Stablehand

Here is the basic outline for the world

Postby Dahlia Atrois » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:58 pm

Geography: For simplicity’s sake, there are two main continents known as Ashva’har (our story does not take place here, but feel free to use it) and Agnea (where our story takes place). There are also lots of small islands just floating about. I’m not naming them, you do it. Ashva’har is smaller and southwest of Agnea and they are sepatated by the Argyle Sea. As for Mohar, it is a large port city in the militant nation of Ondior located on the western peninsula that creates a large bay known as Ganges Bay (named for the cliffs and forest on the northern hook of the bay, Ganges Forest). The southern peninsula on which Ondior is located is a quarter the size of the northern Ganges Peninsula.
There is also a small sunken mini continent (think about the size of Alaska) located dew south of Agnea. This continent is known as The Forsaken Plain. Legend claims it was severed from Agnea during the legendary battle with the Litch Lord Lacoba. (For an idea of the terrain and climate, think of Death Valley).
On Agnea, I want to put a large desert somewhere and several spots of rainforest. The rest is coniferous and deciduous forest area (think Endor from Star Wars). Ashva’har is mostly desert in the south with spotted oasis and some small forests. The northern area of Ashva’har is tundra.

Politics: The capital of Ondior is Doran and is ruled by the grief stricken king Brent Opharus. His sons all died when fending off an invasion from the nation, Varshille. He has no direct heirs, his wife died in childbirth, and he only speaks to his advisor (and, soon will meet and befriend a lone knight who survived the battle in which his sons died. This knight will be the second person to which he will speak). The two nations are attempting to work out a peace treaty while there are yet some skirmishes in various regions.
Pirates and rouges are as common as fleas but very scattered (with a few exceptions) and most are ineffective in Ondior and Varshille. Both nations use spies, though none will admit it. Make up any other nations you want, but talk to me for placement.

Legend of Khalishma: Khalishma was a confederation of four island trade cities: Skoursis, Macilia, Vanerus, and Blakous. They were foci of wealth and culture. To mainlanders they were mere fables—sailors’ stories. Now, nothing could be further from the truth. The cities were leveled and looted by a combination of pirates and conquistador explorers. The Khalishma confederation has been gone for half a century, but there are legends of a great treasure hidden within Skoursis. Legend also claims that there is no wind within a mile of its shore. (Khalishma is located in the southeast area of the Argyle Sea and is beyond a barrier reef. The four islands together span a total of ten miles at the widest part. If any wishes to find Khalishma, please confer with me first.)

Misc.: If anyone wants to play any of the afore-mentioned characters, go right ahead. Be as creative as you choose. My character, Dhalia, will be shifting towards legendary Skoursis, to find out why, read the bio. For time frame think 17th Century technology and Edwardian clothing (I’m not explaining. You’re online, so look it up.) That’s all for now.

FYI: Depending on how things go here, Lacoba may appear later on in another thread.

Characters you can pick up: Brent Opharus, the lone knight (whom you can name), the Advisor (name him/her as well), etc.
[list=]

CHEERS! IM= Pseudoangel69 Email=Lara.Tewes@liu.edu[/list]
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
Dahlia Atrois
Stablehand

Dahlia Atrois Profile and history to date

Postby Dahlia Atrois » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Name: Dahlia Atrois
Race: Air Genasi (Wind Djinn descendant)
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 110
Build: fit
Skin: pale (ivory-ish skin and soft pink lips)
Hair: violet-blue
Eyes: grey
Markings: an arabesque tattoo that spirals and winds down her upper right arm to her hand
Special: Psion Savant (psychokineticist)

Appearance: Dahlia not only has the afore mentioned marks of a Djinn descendant, but also there is a constant yet faint air movement around her, which is usually felt when within one foot of her personage. During moments of intense emotion, such as fear, anger, or joy, that faint breeze will flare up; in some cases, these winds become tempests. Her beauty and grace is undeniably from the Djinn blood. Her pale skin has an odd iridescence in the sun, which compliments the shine of her violet-blue hair. Dahlia tends to dress in clothes a bit fancier than those befitting a pirate. While on board a ship she wears loose, flowing pants and a choli top. When in proper society, she wears the typical dress of middle class town ladies.

Attitude: Dahlia is, for the most part, mellow. She has a quiet but firm presence on the ship that the crew seems to respect. She knows what must be done, and come hell or high water, it will be done. She has the utmost loyalty to her captain.

History:
Originally from the costal country of Skoursis on the Argyle Sea, Dahlia was taken from her home prior to the fall of Skoursis. Skoursis was part of a confederation of costal trade cities called Khalishma, which joined together for mutual protection and mutual profit, a place that welcomed all and scorned none, offering asylum to outcasts and exiles as well as a home to the rich and the demigods. Money was easy and never scarce. They believed that money is like manure: to be useful, it must be spread around. However, as always, with great wealth comes the risk of raiding pirates.
Dahlia is reportedly the child of the Secretary of Militias; however, her distinct appearance and mannerisms imply a very different story. At the age of five, she was given as a gift to the pirate captain of Rehal’s Sunset, Captain Bekka Pavonperas, to prevent a raid. The child was seen as a sort of blessing to the city; prior to Dahlia’s appearance, the city was plagued now and again by hurricanes, as is common with many tropical islands, but those storms ceased leaving only favorable winds. Yet, like all good things, this too was doomed to end. After she was given as a bribe, more pirates began appearing, at first attacking merchant ships going abroad, later they found their way to the shores of Kalishma, marking the beginning of the end for the confederation.
On Rehal’s Sunset, Dahlia lived and grew and brought favorable winds to the ship just as she had the city. Captain Pavonperas raised her to be an indispensable member of the crew. As she grew, she learned of navigation, the art of war, the legends of her fabled home Kalishma and became a skilled appraiser and haggler (on more than one occasion she used her psionic ability to sell items for inflated prices). She never digressed from the clothing styles of Kalishma, always wearing a choli (sometimes with a cropped vest over it) and loose flowing pants laced down the sides (sometimes secured at the ankle sometimes free flowing). It was clear that she was the Captain’s favorite “scallywag,” and the only youth he would actively teach.
Dahlia Atrois
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:11 am

Okay, okay. I'm posting, I'm posting.

Until my creative spark rekindles, I'm gonna use the same format you did. Except I feel like using the word "Archetype", don't ask me why, I've been drinking again.

Furthermore, I don't like (thinking in parentheses). For that, I shall parenthesize a comment after everything. (Is parenthesize a word?)

Archetype: Born leader (By force, if necessary)
Name: Thenician Dusk (Duh!)
Race: Plain ol' human (Or is he?)
Occupation: Currently leading a small group of bandits. (I'm a hussler, homie!)
Age: 30 (Although being in all these time frames, he should be 3000)
Height: 6'0" (I can't think of one for this, come back later.)
Weight: 160 (+/-)
Build: Slim but strong (Tight like a tiger!)
Skin: Medium tan (Made of flesh)
Hair: Just plain brown (Like dirt, or crap)
Eyes: Just plain brown (Everytime I write a bio for this guy, they're a different color.)
Markings: Battle scars (None in the face, gotta keep the pretty face)
Special: Luck of the devil (It helps in life or death situations.)

Appearance: Thenician has an aura of command about him. Those who know him agree with his decisions without question. Those who don't know him are still inspired. He carries himself in a calmness that masks stronger emotions. When the mask is shed, the same aura that inspires greatness in men, inspires fear in his enemies.

Thenician usually dresses in upper class clothing at all times. Whether he's running errands or leading his men to the next hit, he always looks presentable. He always carries a straight edged sabre (just out of spite: think of a longsword with a blade on just one side.) and a long knife with a curved blade.

Attitude: Calm for the most part, Thenician is rarely one to snap at someone. The calm exterior however, masks a wartorn interior. The battlefield of his mind often shadows the wars of men. He works hard to maintain his facade, it's even become second nature to him. Still, once in a while, the two battlefields meet, and Thenician is thrown into a berserk rage that doesn't end until all threats are eliminated.

History: ( Will be done tomorrow, I now have to go kill that crazy bitch I live with. )
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Spiehlur » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:52 pm

Archetype: Wharf Rat
Name: Ben 'Little Salt' Cobbler
Race: Plain ol' human
Occupation: He's a wharf rat! (Petty thief, parttime hired hand)
Height: 4'2" (Suggestiongs welcome)
Weight: 50
Build: Thin and wiry
Skin: Tan
Hair: Dishwater blonde
Eyes: Rich Brown
Markings: Minor scars from various scrapes.
Special: Animal Empathy

Appearance: Commonly seen on the docks of the island village of Unkington, searching for scraps, working on the docks, or playing with his rat. He's typically wearing a dirty torn and stained white canvas shirt with brown canvas breeches held up by a worn pair of brown canvas breeches. He's always barefoot. (In particularly cold weather, he'll wrap his feet in ripped canvas from old sails) He's an 8 year ol' little wharf rat!

Attitude: Cheerful and upbeat, treats his minor thievery like a game. Everyone loves him, noone trusts him. (That little rapscallion is a common reference to him.)

History: Born to a dock whore who later died from her alcoholic excesses, he's lived his entire life on the streets, from infancy on up. He's fairly unaware of his knack with animals, he just knows that Terry (his pet dock rat) is his best friend. He's perfectly content living his life the way it is, on the docks in the warm summer breezes under the tall ships.

Note:
Consider this my official request to play. :)

PS - Concept mutable if Dahlia needs a deck hand!
Spiehlur
Stablehand

Postby Dahlia Atrois » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:45 pm

You are officially welcomed into this thread. Make the most of this life.
Dahlia Atrois
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner