OOC: The Peace after War: Explination and Comments

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

OOC: The Peace after War: Explination and Comments

Postby GoldWyvern » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:12 pm

In a few minutes I will be writing an RP story called The Peace After War. The ideas explored will be as following:

- What happens after one kingdom attack another? This is not just a numbers game, there are people involved. There isn't an instant conversion of faith, especially after a lifelong indoctrination towards one or another.

- Who are the people affected? How do they deal with one another? How can this be expressed in an interesting way, so that readers will be hooked into actually reading it instead of skimming it?

In that, I have decided to go with a pair of children as my lead characters.

One of them is Marin. She is eleven years old. She has been brought up as a religious devotee of Barnabas, and was scheduled to be trained under her father as a low level priest of the Local Temple. That temple was destroyed when Angelique's faithful captured the land she lives upon.

The other is Aaron, of the age twelve. He's one of the settlers that come into the territory freshly captured by Angelique, and he's been raised to believe that Barnabas is evil, and all that follow them are equally so.

Now here is the conflict:

Marin's parents have worked the land for generations, and have elected to stay despite the exodus of the rest of the local town. They are farmers, and through they disagree with the way of Angelique, they value their land even more.

On the other side of the coin, the Angelique settlers, few in numbers, rely on Marin's parents for food, and have come to an agreement with them. If they provide food for a reasonable price, and do not outright declare their faith of Barnabas.. well, no action needs to be taken. Peace can be had, and perhaps the opportunity to convert to Angelique.

Marin and Aaron live in homes very close to one another. Aaron's parents are trying their hand at farming and often rely on the saavy Barnabas neibors for advice - this territory already belongs to Angelique, so there is no conflict.

In addition, there are no children for many miles of the farm other then Marin and Aaron.. it is that which the story shall focus on. Their relationship, despite taught to utterly hating one another. The confusion in that they should kill one another, and yet their parents are cooperating against their religious edicts.

It should be an interesting challange, and one I am looking forward to. Anyone may participate.. merely take up a role, such as another settler, a parent, or whatnot. Just jump on in.

And now, to get to writing.
Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true.
-Homer Simpson
GoldWyvern
Pickpocket

Postby Thenician » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:57 am

I think this is a great opportunity to post one of my characters' childhood.

Not that we all have to play kids, but it sounds like a good idea to me, for now.

But first, I need to sleep. For tomorrow I work from noon to 4am. I'll think about how to do this while I work. (Or more accurately, sit around scratching my nuts all day and night.)
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner