Flickering Flames

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Flickering Flames

Postby Ria » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:07 pm

Ria sat in silence, her knees drawn up to her chest as she stared at the ashy plains, her fist clenched tightly about a simple leather necklace. A single tear wove a dark path down her soot smuged cheeks. 'I should have listened. I should have heeded the advice of the Wise. Now I have nothing...' All her life she had worn the warmly glowing stone about her neck, "for her safety and the safety of others." Never did she believe she could be a danger...until now.

It had been a simple birthing gift from a Wisdom who was kin to her mother. After all, there is nothing spectacular about polished amber, but when the stone touched her infant skin it had begun to glow with an inner fire. Her parents had been surprised, as had the Wisdom, yet they thought little of what such an occurance might mean until the first time the necklace was removed. Her mother took it from little Ria so that she might bathe the child. No sooner was the stone cast aside than the bath waters began to boil and the wooden tub exploded in flame.

A few days later Ria and her family stood before the Wise as they declared that she be required to wear her "firestone" for the remainder of her days. They would not let a "firestarter" have the chance to "wreak havoc" on the town, whether she did so willingly or not. At the tender age of four, she understood little of what they said, but she had no trouble catching the fear and distaste in their voices. Though they tried in the ensuing years to convince her that she was a beloved member of their precious society, Ria never forgot the truth that she saw that day. She knew that she was different, an outsider, someone to be treated kindly and with great caution.

Even so, she never truly believed she was a danger to anyone around her. As she grew older, she developed her own theories about her ability. Would such a gift be given by Fate if it was not capable of aiding as well as destroying? Surely others before her had displayed similar talents that were feared until they were understood and mastered. All she needed to do was find some way to control the fires, or someone who could teach her. Unfortunately, the town's library and archives held no clues, or even any indication that there ever had been another like her. Her tutors were unable to provide her with any helpful information either, so she had been left to her own devices.

Over the years she had learned how to summon and disperse the flames at will, though the summoning always resulted in minor explosions. For all of her attempts to control her strength, Ria could not manage the size of the conflagrations she produced. It wouldn't have taken too much longer for the Wise to notice large portions of charred earth in the surrounding fields and forests. She was of age to control her own destiny by the custom of her people, yet they still held fast to their initial ruling. However, they never got the chance to catch her disobedience.

She was merely trying to light a small fire in the cool of the evening before giving up her trials and returning to her home for the night. She didn't expect the dark material at her feet to be so combustible. The heat bloom from the resulting inferno threw her several yards into the bordering forest and knocked her unconscious. The winds had taken control of her flames from there. When she came to, her home was a black, smouldering mar on the earth. Nothing had survived the intense heat, and it was a miracle that the flames had died at all.

Ria's slate blue eyes shimmered with unshed tears in the grey, pre-dawn light.

"Never again. No matter what, this will never happen again."
Sadly destroying everything I've done and
everything remaining is burning in my fire
Ria
Stablehand

Postby Ria » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:47 pm

She stirred from her seat on the dewy earth, gently wiping the dirt and soot from her breeches to the best of her ability. With trembling fingers she fastened the necklace about her neck and felt the warm stone settle in the hollow of her throat. Ria barely spared a second glance at the charred field before turning and weaving a path through the forests. Though she had never left the area claimed by her township, she knew that there were other towns and villages within a day's travel. Occasionally merchants would pass through bringing goods and trinkets from other principalities and news and gossip from the surrounding region, and it was from their information that she drew her knowledge.

The journey was rough, for the midday sun proved to be as stern as the harshest Wisdom, beating unrelenting and mercilessly upon her olive skin, and her stomach was bemoaning it's empty state. Only after she'd spent several hours walking in the direction of the nearest village did she remember she carried little of value on her person, and what she did carry were items with more than mere intrinsic value. Her mother's jeweled hair comb rested in a pocket she'd hidden in her leather vest. It was certainly worth something monetarily, but it was all that remained of the mother who had died in her youth. Her father had given her a simple yet beautiful silver handled dagger on her last birthing day celebration, and that was tucked away in her left boot. Of course the firestone would be of some value, and it was in plain sight. She only hoped that it would not attract unnecessary attention, for she could not part with it…ever.

As the sun began to dip close to the western horizon, Ria heard the tell-tale sounds of population. Sure enough, there was a sizable town just over a rise in the land as the merchants had described. She only hoped that at least one townsperson would be kind enough to take on an unknown woman. Her father had taught her several years ago that nothing in life was free, so she was not foolish enough to hope for unassuming kindness. She did, however, hope to find a place where she could work for the roof over her head and the food in her belly.

Her first stop was the local inn and pub. Such establishments were known for their tendency to hire young women who would distract the male clientele such that their tabs grew beyond what they would otherwise pay. She wasn’t sure she would be suitable for any job where being slobbered on and groped was normal, but she didn’t have the luxury of choice. With a deep breath, she straightened her shoulders and pushed into the smoky din of the common room. The reek of sweaty bodies, varying foul tobaccos, and overcooked game nearly knocked her back out the door, but she steeled herself further and pushed into the mass of bodies. She had never set foot in her town’s inn, so she was ill prepared for the commotion. ’I didn’t know so many people could fit into such a small room.’

The common room wasn’t truly small, though it seemed far smaller than the number of people allowed. Round tables had been set up throughout the room, and booths were situated along the wall for those who wished some measure of privacy as they supped. On the far wall a cold fireplace was encircled with several benches, likely arranged for entertainment purposes should a bard or storyteller pass through. The door to the rest of the inn was in a back corner near the doorway that apparently led to the kitchens. The right wall was home for the actual bar, behind which a buxom maid bounced taking drinks to those who ordered them, while a gruff looking man stood back to keep an eye on the proceedings. Ria quickly determined that he would be the one to talk to about employment. Elbowing through the press of stinking flesh, she made her way to his corner of the bar.

”Excuse me! Excuse me!” She waited until he turned his dull eyes on her and forced her best smile. ”I was wondering if you were hiring.” He looked her up and down appraisingly, but said nothing. Her brow furrowed slightly in confusion, but she pressed on, determined to get at least some response from the man. ”You see, I need a place to stay, but I don’t have any money. I’m more than willing to work for-“

”We don’t take on freeloaders, sweetcakes.” Ria started, turning to face the barmaid who had addressed her. Her frown deepened as she glanced back at the man who was still staring at her in silence. An amused laugh brought her attention back to the woman who was shaking her head and cleaning out a mug. ”This is my place, hun. The only ones who stay here for free are making me money outside the common room, and you don’t look the type who’d spread her legs just for a mattress and bath.” Ria felt the blood rushing to her cheeks as she shook her head. After a few minutes of embarrassed silence which seemed to amuse the innkeeper further, Ria found her voice again.

”Do you know where in town I might look then?” She tried to keep the worry from her voice, though she doubted that she had hidden anything from the other woman. What Ria wasn’t expecting was the look of serious thought and concern on the woman’s face.

”There might be a few homes that could use an extra hand in town. Thom here can take you to them so you won’t get hassled along the way.” Ria cocked a brow in puzzlement. Before she could ask why she was being treated so kindly, the woman continued. ”You don’t strike me as the typical thief or con artist, missy, otherwise Thom would be bootin’ you out the door. If you don’t find a place that will take you in, he’ll bring you back here and I’ll see if we can use a hand in the kitchens.”

”Thank you. I don’t know what else to say.”

”Thank you will do just fine for now. You be sure to tell those farm folk that Cat sent you. That’ll put any fears they might have about you to rest.” Ria nodded quickly and followed Thom towards the door.

”Thanks again!” Cat smiled and went back to working the bar crowd without another glance.
Ria
Stablehand

Postby Ria » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:20 pm

The first couple of farmhouses at which Ria and Thom stopped to inquire for work turned her away apologetically. Their smiles seemed genuine enough, but the maiden made note of how their eyes darted questioningly across her features and to the warmly glowing stone resting in the hollow of her throat. She knew that she was dressed as most common folk in the area, but the firestone probably looked like something of great value to them. 'I must look odd begging for work when I seem to have wealth enough for jewelry.' She sighed softly to herself and followed Thom in the deepening dusk to one final house. If these people wouldn't give her a place to stay, they would have to return to Cat's inn where kitchen work awaited her. Thom knocked on the front door and stepped aside just enough for Ria to move forward as the door opened.

"Hello, sir." She nodded almost shyly to the man who answered the door. "I'm new to this town, and unfortunately I have no money. I was wondering if you had any work I could do for a roof over my head." She looked hopefully into his dark eyes. When he didn't respond immediately, she cleared her throat and spoke again, her nerves making her voice shake. "Cat sent me to you. She said you might need some help. Of course if you don't have much work to be done, I'd be more than willing to move on before nightfall tomorrow." Ria glanced at Thom who was standing silently in the growing shadows, prepared to ask him to take her back to the inn.

"You can stay in the barn tonight." She turned back to the man with a look of surprise. "I'll send my son out to wake you when we need you in the morning. Tell Cat we'll take care of her." The last he directed to Thom who nodded and left. "Come with me. I'll show you back to the barn." He grabbed a candle from inside the house and then led Ria around to a large building out back. The sounds of animals moving around to find a comfortable place to sleep could be heard even with the doors closed. He swung the great doors open and pointed back to a pile of hay in the far corner of the large room. "That'll be your bed for now."

"Thank you, sir." He turned to leave. "Um, excuse me! But what do I call you?" He paused, but didn't turn around.

"Sir will do just fine." Ria frowned slightly.

"Well my name is--"

"Unimportant to me. Now get to sleep. We'll be waking you before dawn." That said, he walked out of the barn and closed the doors, giving her one final glimpse of him in the rising moonlight. He looked like he would have been a kind man had he not already begun to prove otherwise. His skin was sundarkened from long years toiling in the fields, and his hair was a medium shaggy brown with streaks of gold highlighting it. His dark brown eyes and thin lips had laugh lines suggesting that he'd spent as much time enjoying life as he spent working it. Such an appearance was a stark contrast to the quiet yet sharp comments he'd made.

Ria surveyed the barn as she walked back to the hay pile that would be her home for a short time. There was a cow, a couple horses, and a litter of pigs living under the same roof. The smell of animals and their accompanying refuse was strong, but she was sure she'd be able to ignore it. 'Those who beg do not often get to choose.' She took off her vest and boots, carefully wrapping her vest around the dagger before using it as a pillow. The hay was scratchy and poked through her clothes uncomfortably, but after a few moments, she drifted off to sleep in spite of her surroundings.
Ria
Stablehand

Postby Ria » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:25 pm

Ria's eye fluttered slowly open. Someone was nudging her back with his foot. She took a moment to reorient before rolling over to face the youth that obviously was the son of the man she'd spoken with the night before.

"It's time to wake, miss." She sat up, brushing the pieces of hay from her dark hair. The barn was still fairly dark, though she could see that the sky was growing lighter along the eastern horizon beyond the doors. The animals were moving around in their stalls, already awake and ready for their daily duties. The young man standing before her appeared to be a few years her junior, though farm work had done much to develop his body where the years couldn't yet. "Father says you are to draw water from the well for the animals, then for the house. If you wish to wash up, you may do so afterwards, but you'll have to make it quick so you can cook breakfast."

"Tell him I said 'Yes, sir.'" Her distaste for the statement must have been obvious both in the curt tone of her voice and in the look on her face, for the boy began to smile.

"Father is difficult to get to know, but if you keep an attitude like that, you'll get past his gruff side quicker." Ria felt her face flush though she smiled in return. She hadn't intended to be openly rude, but she was not at her best in the morning and her irritation with the older man remained from the night. Trying to ignore the smile that was still on the youth's face, she slipped her boots on her feet.

"Did he give you a name? Or should I call you 'Sir Junior'?" At that, the boy laughed outright.

"No, I've got a name. Kenneth, if you please." He made a sweeping bow that she was certain he practiced regularly to impress the maids, and it was her turn to laugh.

"My name is Ria."

"Pleasure to meet you, but I better get going before I end up somewhere other than on Father's good side." With that he dashed out of the door. The woman smiled to herself, unwrapping her vest and slipping her dagger back into its hiding place. Her hands instinctively moved to the secret pocket and to her throat to ensure that her other items were where she left them; she gave a quick sigh of relief when the warmth of the stone at her throat increased. That more than anything was important.

Once she was sure everything was as it should be, she headed outside, easily locating the well. Drawing water for the animals was simple enough. They were grateful for the fresh liquid and did little to hassle her. She patted the horses on their necks and smiled at the other creatures before heading back out to gather more water. 'Sir' was waiting for her at the well with a growing frown on his face.

"What's taking you so long?" Ria paused in her forward progress and mimicked the displeasure on his face.

"Do you expect me to be running with a full bucket so that the earth gets more water than anything or anyone else? Or is there some other way of moving that is faster but less sloppy that I've just never heard of before...Sir?" He arched a brow, but didn't stop frowning. She stared him down, but began walking once again, only dropping her gaze from his when it became necessary in order to hook the bucket to the well's chain.

"If you're going to take this long in the morning, I'll have my son wake you earlier." The bucket landed in the water with an exasperated splash that matched her demeanor.

"I'm sure Kenneth will be pleased to hear it, Sir." Ria gave him a bright, if obviously fake, smile and hauled the full bucket from the well and began walking towards the house. Kenneth was on his way out to the barn, and though he wasn't looking at either Ria or his father, he was grinning from ear to ear. 'This is probably the most entertainment the boy's gotten from his chores in years.' She chuckled to herself and walked into the house to prepare the morning meal.
Ria
Stablehand

Postby Ria » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 pm

The day's work had been hard, but not too different from the kinds of chores she'd done as a child for her own family. "Sir" had only occasionally suffered speaking to her, though Ria thought she had caught him trying to stifle a smile at one of her less polite responses to his gruff orders. For the most part, Kenneth had been delegated the job of letting her know what needed to be done. She did all the cooking and house-cleaning, which consumed the greater part of her day, but she also helped care for the animals. Such mundane things actually turned out to be fairly daunting tasks since the two men had not spent much time on those chores in some time.

"Well," Kenneth had explained through an embarassed blush when she'd commented on the state of their home. "We've only been doing what absolutely had to be done to keep our farm running. A few things fell by the wayside after..." He'd shuffled uncomfortably, running his fingers nervously through his shaggy hair, and avoided making eye contact. "I guess that's why Father took you on." Ria had felt sorry she'd said anything. Lunch had been a rushed affair so that everyone could get back to work, something for which the woman was unexpectedly grateful. She'd been able to finish scrubbing the rest of the house without speaking to either man.

The sun was sinking low on the horizon when Kenneth finally came out to the barn to let her know that she needed to prepare supper. She could tell that he still felt awkward about how badly he and his father had let things get, which made her feel worse.

"Kenneth, I didn't mean to criticize your home earlier. I hope you know that." The lad looked startled and flushed again. Ria picked up a handful of hay and rolled it in her hands to free some of the dirt that has caked to them while working with the horses and pigs. Once she'd tossed the hay aside she turned her gray-blue gaze on the still silent youth. "May I ask what happened to your mother?" His face drained of color and his lips trembled slightly. At first, she was afraid she'd trespassed too far, but he found his voice before she had the chance for another hasty apology.

"She died last winter." He stared at his feet and swallowed hard, his hands fumbling in front of him as he fought to express himself without tears. "She took ill--the coughing sickness--and the healer couldn't save her." His eyes squeezed shut and his jaw clenched visibly. Ria could barely stand to see him fight with himself in that manner, so she moved to his side and wrapped an arm about his shoulders comfortingly.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Kenneth. I, too, have lost loved ones recently." He looked up at her, his eyes brimming with moisture he was working so hard to hold back. She cleared her throat and frowned. "Just because your father is handling this without openly mourning doesn't mean you cannot cry. It is okay to miss the ones we lose." As if he'd merely been waiting for her permission, Kenneth let go of his control. Fierce sobs shook his body as Ria soothingly rubbed his shoulders, just as her own mother had done for her when she was a child. After several moments, he grew quiet and drew away, wiping his face.

"Thank you, Ria." He took a deep breath and looked out the barn doors. The sun was nearly below the treeline already. In a flash, his calm was replaced by concern. "Oh no! Father will be unhappy for having to wait so long. We'd better go."

"I'll deal with your father. You just go in and tell him that I'm on my way in." He hurried to the house with a quick nod of assent, and Ria walked calmly to the well to wash her face and hands. She hadn't expected such an outpouring from Kenneth, but since he'd obviously been walling his pain inside for so many months, it only made sense that he would give way with gentle probing. Of course, she wanted to strangle "Sir" now more than ever. How dare he put his son through such torment! The woman dried her hands roughly on her trousers before heading inside.

"You don't seem to understand that other people are waiting on you." Kenneth was sitting in silence at the table, staring resolutely at the wood grain. "What took you so long? Or did you forget the generousity I've shown just by letting you stay here?" She glared at the older man, forcing slow, deep breaths to maintain her cool. "And what did you say to my son? He looks as though he's been through some sort of uncomfortable ordeal, but he won't say a word about it."

"If you must know, your son had the great misfortune of catching me attending to a call of nature when he came looking for me." Kenneth blinked a few times in surprise, but didn't speak up, so "Sir's" attention remained on Ria. As she'd expected, the father looked taken aback, but she saw no reason to let him regain his composure. "Now if that's an offense worthy of chucking me out in the streets, please let me know, and I'll be on my way. However, if you're as hungry as you complain of being, sit down, get out of my way, and I'll cook dinner. Sir." She didn't even bother with a false smile, instead staring him down with all the heat of a firestarter's anger. The stone around her throat warmed noticeably and began to glow intensely before she reined in her ire.

"I-I wouldn't have thrown you out for being late." He looked questioningly from her face to the firestone and backed to his chair at the table.

"Then don't posture as if you will," she snapped as she moved to begin cutting the vegetables he'd brought in from the field. "And for that matter," Ria spun about and shook her knife at him. "Stop lording over me as if I'm ignorant or not worth your time, or I'll leave of my own accord." She went back to cooking, taking out her irritation on the meal she prepared. Both men remained fearfully silent as they watched her, and could barely stammer a thank you when she shoved plates in front of them. Kenneth kept looking from his father to Ria and back, his face a picture of uncertainty, but "Sir" just kept his eyes glued to his plate. Ria finished her meal first and moved her plate to the countertop before turning to go to the barn for the night.

"Wait, Ria!" Her nostrils flared as she wheeled on the man.

"You can clean your own dishes tonight!" She caught herself looking into a very different set of eyes than she'd faced all day, and stopped before launching into another tirade.

"Actually, I was going to say that we do have an empty room you could stay in if you'd prefer it to the barn." "Sir's" voice was more like what she'd initially imagined a man like him would sound like, though the tenative tremor was likely a new addition to his timbre.

"Oh...yes." Ria glanced at Kenneth who was smiling and nodding, evidently pleased. She followed the man as he led her to a room that she had noticed in her cleaning. She'd only really noticed it because the room was the only chamber of the house that didn't need to be scrubbed, and it was the only one that showed signs of a feminine touch.

"Have a good night. Kenneth will wake you in the morning." She nodded, still looking at the furnishings of the room.

"Thank you, Sir." The man paused before turning away and half-smiled, though Ria didn't see it.

"The name is Tobias, not Sir." She smiled to herself, but didn't turn until she heard the door close behind her.

"Thank you, Tobias."
Ria
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner