By Fire and Tongue {OOC}

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

By Fire and Tongue {OOC}

Postby Essence » Mon May 23, 2005 2:14 am

The direction of this story is completely open, like a tavern thread, let's say, but it will define itself quickly, unlike a tavern. Feel welcome to jump in at any point, but be sure to know where the story was, is, and stick loosely to the possibilities of it's eventual direction.

This being a rather open thread, the general rules of roleplay here still stick. No godmoding with your characters, no controling another person's character, no twisting something too far out of shape if it is what another person is working for. Otherwise, just note that while relatively open, this is not a tavern thread, and I expect the quality of writing to have a little more effort than the average easy-going Evernight Inn. If you want a thread you can write in freely and seriously without pressure to continue if needs be so, this is a good place for you.

If you ever feel like making a one-post entry that ties in with the storyline, feel free to do so. It might be nice to have a few brief outside influences, whether it is something directly involved with the characters or not. If you don't know what I mean by this, you will later on.

I ask that you throw a little something in about your character when you start, here in the OOC. NOthing strenuous if you don't care to make a character card-type of thing, but at least a paragraph of what your starting with, if you don't make your history evident in your first post or two of story. If you might be hiding something from the plot of the role-play, feel free to clarify something in here as well.

Well, have fun, or don't. I don't mind. I'll still write, and hope you might as well sometime.
Nox est perpetua una dormienda-
Vivamus

I bet schizophrenia is like getting half a puppy for Christmas.
My MuM's FAMILY is Kindred too.
Essence
Stablehand

Postby Ridash » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:14 pm

This sounds like my beat. An open story with little to no commitment. I have had a character in mind that I've been meaning to try out, but haven't had the opportunity. This is a character I hope to use in other writings. I guess my main goal here is to give this character a test run so I can get a grasp of his personality and behavior. Also its been a while since I’ve done this kind of writing, so it should be a fun refresher.

Name: Jittaal Onnen
Appearance: Standing at merely five nine with a small frame, Jittaal has an unimposing figure. His body may be small, but is well toned from hours of strenuous exercise and the abuse it has withstood. The only salient part of him is his hat. His head is covered by a pointed hat similar to that of a stereotypical wizard or scarecrow. The top is slightly bent over and the brown color has been faded by the sun. A buckle separates the top from a brim that reaches just above his eyes and middle of his ears. The ends of his auburn colored hair dangle a few inches below his hat. Most of his face is hidden by that ridiculous hat, but what is always visible is a smug grin that never seems to change. His wears a tight fitting, sleeveless and hard leather shirt covered by a tattered tan poncho. Around his neck is a almond colored bandana and a rope necklace with a single shell charm that is tucked under his shirt. On his belt rests a twin pair of khanjar daggers.

Personality: In short Jit is a rogue. A sort of low-life jack-of-all-trades so to speak. With a mixed set of morals he is basically willing to do anything for a price. At first glance (with much credit to the hat) he looks like some sort of clown. However, to the unfortunate surprise of many he is not what he appears. What he lacks in strength, he gains is agility. It does not take a whole lot of physical might to cut a throat or scratch vital artery. His training in combat allows him to serve as an efficient sell-sword or highwayman. Though a poor thief, he is not afraid to try if he needed the money.
Being a scoundrel is not honest work and so there is not always honest pay. Unfortunately there are no guarantees for success or a payoff. He is often forced to do menial chores for meals or preform mindless slight of hand tricks for spare change. For this reason he is not devoid of emotion or passion, but when it comes to a job he can be as ruthless and cold as the metal of his curved daggers. A little eccentric, but a smooth talker and dedicated person. He is an idealist, at least he considers himself one. Though not a fan of the concept of cooperation, Jit occasionally finds himself in short alliances. The alliances are formed for a mutual gain, the majority of which are criminal in nature

History: Where he came from or where he is going is a mystery. He rarely discusses anything about his past willingly. By his skill in duel combat and tracking he obviously received extensive training at some point in his life. He is missing his ring finger on his left hand which seems to be connected to his earlier history. It is a sensitive subject to him and he never talks at length about it. For anyone inclined on knowing about his past, the missing finger has become a joke and a symbol for his missing past. What is known about Jittaal’s more recent past is that he was forbidden from the city of Coins for his alleged association in the so-called Baker Revolution.
|| Ridash ||
~Hip-Hip Hoozah!~
Ridash
Stablehand

Postby Essence » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Awesome ;>

I've been sick for a couple days now, but I'm back and able. I'll be reading and writing for this tonight.
Vivamus

Essence
Stablehand

Postby Ridash » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:53 pm

I hope you feel better. I still don't have much direction for Jittaal. For now I am just going to have fun and run with it. I'll probably have a post up tomorrow, though at this point I guess it doesn't really mean much.

I admire your writing. It's making me try harder too. I'll be expecting you to keep it up. 8)
|| Ridash ||
~Hip-Hip Hoozah!~
Ridash
Stablehand

Postby Essence » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:28 am

Thanks - although, I must say I am glad that someone who can show a little more skill than the average poster has thrown in his lot in this. I'll be twisting my threads a little more toward your own in the next post or two, so no worries there.
Vivamus

Essence
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:14 am

heyo...

This seems like a good thread in which to start posting again after time off. The story so far has so many places to enter into it. My only indecision is that I don't know whether to use a humane character or a monstrous one.
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:49 am

Hmmm, well I have read over everything and it appears as though this could be quite interesting. I think I shall attempt to join and from the looks of it, the easiest place for my intro would be somewhere near Jittaal.

Alias: Strife
Race: Mixed Heritage (Human/Elven)
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 192 lbs
Hair color: Blond
Eye Color: Blue
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius

Magick Proficiency: Weather Control and Animal Empathy

Appearance: Killian Leonhart is an average height man of 25. He has short blond hair that falls almost playfully about his features. His general physique is muscular, toned and hints of fighting well, training often and his dashing good looks combined with a boyish charm and charismatic attitude makes him the perfect "knightly" candidate. His facial features are smooth save for one little bit of facial hair on his chin that still seems to only add to his boyish looks. He has deep blue eyes that are almost sapphire in color and always seems to have a playful grin on his face. He can normally be found dressed in various shades of whites, blacks, and grays usually consisting of an undershirt, pants, a jacket and at times a cloak worn over his left shoulder.

Personality: Despite his overall playful persona, Killian is genuinely a very serious person. He is modest, has a positive outlook on life, is full of enterprise, energy, versatility, adventurousness and eagerness to extend experience beyond the physically familiar. He enjoys traveling and exploration, the more so because his mind is constantly open to new dimensions of thought. Killian is basically ambitious and optimistic, and continue to be so even when his hopes are dashed. His strongly idealistic natures can also suffer many disappointments without being affected. Killian is honorable, honest, trustworthy, truthful, generous and sincere, with a passion for justice. He is usually on the side of the underdog in society and will fight for any cause he believe to be just, and is prepared to be rebellious. He also balances loyalty with independence.

Weapon(s) of Choice: Long Sword, Long Bow and Staff

Strengths: Do to his mixed heritage, Killian has very keen eyesight as well as elven dexterity. He is a master swordsman and is well trained in the arts of Magick. He is very charismatic, optimistic, freedom-loving, jovial, good-humored, honest, straightforward, intellectual, philosophical and excels in articulating thoughts into productive actions. His skills, like his charm, seem to be magick, because they never let him down.

Weakness: He has a fear of heights and spiders. He also can also be blindly optimistic, careless, irresponsible, superficial, tactless and restless

Special Skills: Killian gains power not by ruling nature but being at one with it. He has the innate ability to manipulate weather. He can stimulate any form of precipitation, generate winds in varying degrees of intensity, raise or lower the humidity and temperature in his immediate vicinity, induce lightning and other electrical atmospheric phenomena, and disperse natural storms so as to create clear change. Also, each of the Leonhart children was gifted with a distinctive from of empathy. Strife, like his mother, was gifted with the unique gift of Animal Empathy which allows him to understand and communicate with animals as well as project his own feelings or emotion onto an animal.

Background:

Killian Leonhart, son of William and Asheni Leonhart, is the middle child of three boys; Alexander, Killian, and Mathew Leonhart, and is heir to Lu'ar Manor which is situated near the heart of Portsmouth, a thriving trade city located along the cost. At the tender age of 8 Killian began showing the first signs of his forthcoming gifts, the first being his Empathy with animals, and by the age of 14 his unique abilities pertaining weather control began to surface. At the age of 16 he was enrolled into the Portsmouth School of Weaponry and Magick Proficiency, referred to as simply " The Academy." The Academy trains future soldiers and those showing signs of Magick potential in various studies as well as training for Portsmouth most prized assets, the Warrior Mages. Warrior mages are an elite group of mercenaries who are skilled in both physical and metaphysical combative techniques and are sent out as support unites to neighboring cities and countries to help keep peace and order throughout. It was here that Killian learned how to control his gifts and began to excel in both combative and magickal techniques. At the age of 18 he became the youngest student ever to become a Warrior Mage and was later promoted to Captain of the Portsmouth Warrior Mage 1st Division at the age of 23. Unfortunately his older brother, Alexander Leonhart, is now General of the Portsmouth Army and sees to it that his little brother never forgets how he beat the eldest son out as heir to the Leonhart fortune.
Strife's Thought of the Month:

If a missing person sees their picture on a milk carton that offers a reward, would they get the money?
Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Ridash » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:57 pm

It starts with one, then the rest will follow.

And so it gets underway...
|| Ridash ||
~Hip-Hip Hoozah!~
Ridash
Stablehand

Postby Essence » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:50 pm

*winks*

Okay, I'm putting you two about three leagues north of the city, (not quite ten miles.) The storm broke out south of you, as well.

Just the barebones of information - the city I'm leaving is Yia, the country it's located in is - Yia. It's relatively inland of any bodies of water, and relatively north already. Above it is Alleria, about fifty leagues north of the city of Yia. It's the last country in the north, unsettled territory beyond, but it is pretty vast in itself. This is where Fahn's party is headed now, up the main road you put yourself off of a bit, Ridash.

That's about all I'm going to define for this part.

edit - I meant to get them actually on the move and across a few leagues with Fahn's character tonight, but I'd best be studying some Chinese tonight, before this week in class starts to kick my ass. I'll get that up tomorrow, hopefully - it takes me awhile to write when I distract myself with the details. Eh bien.

Welcome aboard, Strife ;>
Vivamus

Essence
Stablehand

Postby Thenician » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:53 am

When I say that I can't decide which character to play, you fools are supposed to suggest one dammit!!!!

Otherwise I may end up posting like an imbecile.
"I love stealin', I love takin' things."
-Bender B. Rodriguez

"How 'bout I alter your face?"
-Thenician Dusk
Thenician
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:04 am

Very well then . . .

I suggest . . . . . . . . .

.. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . a monstrous one!

I do hope that I have been of service.

If a missing person sees their picture on a milk carton that offers a reward, would they get the money?
Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Cink » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:22 am

Dude, totally awesome service. Monster it is...

I'll post some details for Cink in a minute.
Cink
Stablehand

Postby Cink » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:40 am

Oh hey, I already had Cink selected. Go figure.

Name: Cink (though few if any know it, most call him monster or creature, demon, or something of the sort)
Race: If were going by D&D rules, he would be a construct/summoned (flesh golem+demon) and throw in a tiny bit of war god. In reality, Cink is nothing more than a monster created by magic force. I'll get more into it in the description.
Gender: I guess none, just treat him as male for the sake of argument.
Height: 6'2" upright, 5'7" usual stance (predatory)
Weight: I don't fucking know... 220?? make that 245, I'm sure the taill weight quite a bit. (Yea, I said tail)
Hair: Dark reddish brown
Eyes: Dark reddish brown or bright ruby red when channeling mana.
Skin: Darkish red and leathery, with thick scaly brown areas around the joints. (I'd like a thick scaly brown joint, well, maybe not scaly)

Magic-Like Abilities: Can channel spiritual essence for defense and offense. (Lame ripoff: barriers and beams)
Diet: Anything made of meat.

Appearance and Essence: As shown above, Cink is red. (What do you want me to do about it?) Scales on joints, blah blah blah. Oh yea, this part is important, he has these crazy fucking talons on fingers and toes. Both his dangerously sharp talons, and the thick scales on his joints are actually diamond. His body can rearrange the carbon molecules within. (Obviously the scales aren't solid diamond, for he would cut himself when moving, but rather dustlike particles close together. It's all crappy diamond though, not the shiny kind one could make a fortune on. Cloven hands and feet. (Think SoulReaver. Wow, this character is a total ripoff. Sweet.) Essence wise, his soul was literally thrown together from scraps of spirits raised form the underworld. He does NOT consume souls to regain essence, that'd be too cheap, even for me. In fact, wandering souls fear his presence and flee if they can. Instead his energy recharges through combat. Since his design was for war, then so are his abilities. Every moment he remains in battle he regains a little energy, whether he hits the enemy or not and whether he is hit by the enemy or not. Oh yea, and he has a long leathery tail with which to whack idiots.

History and Personality: Cink was created originally to serve the megalomaniac that created him. Both to attend to his will and to conquer for him. He was even imbued with blessings from both the spirit of wrath and the demon of war. However, as with all such monsters, Cink one day destroyed his creator to seek his own glory. After a few years of mindlessly slaughtering innocents and ravaging the few bounty hunters brave enought to chase him, he eventually grew bored and sought greater pleasures. He soon learned to manipulate people to his own ends. Sometimes he even offers his services to people but keeps his real intentions secret until it's too late.

Weapon and Dress: Cink likes the feeling of flesh and bone splitting between his fingers. He almost always uses with talons to fight with and his tail when he wants someone to stay alive, rare as that is. Since he has no genitalia to cove, he doesn't even wear a loincloth. He does, however, wear heavy plate armor arm pieces. Completely protecting his arms from shoulders to knuckles. Leaving only his fingers exposed to strike with and grab shit. Also, when travelling along public places, like CITIES, he wears a long brown leather poncho and a large hat. Leaving only his cloven toes exposed. He tries to keep them out of sight though.

Strengths and Weaknesses: I know, I know, you think I'm godmoding, but here's where I prove I'm not. Or am. Cink's major strengths, along with his magical and physical defense and offense, he has great speed. However, his speed is only unmatchable when unarmored. His physical strength is nothing special, being as strong as a capable human or below average orc. Because of this, his moving and dodging ability is greatly reduced due to the heavy armor plates he wears. His arms, being his main weapon and shield, have been trained and are no longer AS slowed by the armor, so his attacking and blocking is on par with the average wandering warrior nowadays, and his moving ability is only a small amount faster than a fast sprinter. His leathery skin provides good protection prom weak attacks, but also takes a long time to heal deep wounds. Only scaly areas heal quickly. One great weakness of Cink is due to his blessing from the spirit of wrath. He is easily irritated and tends to attack when provoked. Fortunately, he doesn't fight TOO wrecklessly when angry thanks to the blessing from the demon of war.

I guess that's about it...
I'm not sure how I'm going to bring him into the story. Maybe I'll have Ilyria owe him a favor, or Strife having survived battle with him on several occasions. Or both, or something else. One way or another , it would make my life easier if he already had a history with someone.
Cink
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:28 am

*raises one eyebrow* . . . . . . . . . . . Interesting.

Honestly, that's about all I can say to that character. . . . .

. . . . . . I think for the first time ever, I'm actually at a lose for words.

Well, I suppose if you need some type of "history" to bring your character into play then you are more then welcome to use Strife as a reference. I'm sure he and Strife could have had numerous encounters in battle for sure. However, going off of the description, it appears as though Cink might have stronger ties with Jittaal. Either way I'm cool with whichever way you so choose.

Once again . . . . . . . . Very . . . . Very interesting. . . . . .

Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Cink » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:38 am

Actually I've had this character for a long time. He's posted around the boards here and there. I considered Jitaal, but he's a rogue, a low-life thief. The kind of man Cink wouldn't waste his time with except to devour. So I'll probably go with Strife. I'll get started on it soon then.
Cink
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:56 am

*nods*

Very well then, that works for me.

Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Essence » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:04 pm

Oh, sorry Cink - I missed your post up there. Usually I notice these things, eh bien.

But monstrous is what I would have suggested, going for a little variety. Nice ;>

Going to post tonight sometime, as promised, and this time get a bit of a move on.
Vivamus

Essence
Stablehand

Postby Ridash » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:08 pm

It's about to storm down here and my dog is freaking out. I have to shut the comp. down and give her some sedatives.

In the meantime I will try and muster something up in my mind.

...welcome aboard Strife and Cink.
|| Ridash ||
~Hip-Hip Hoozah!~
Ridash
Stablehand

Postby Ridash » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:03 pm

A summer storm, how about that?

I just wanted to set myself up for the inevitable meeting with Fahn's crew. Take your time however. He'll be fine by himself.
|| Ridash ||
~Hip-Hip Hoozah!~
Ridash
Stablehand

Postby Essence » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:52 am

Alright, that got it there. Took a lot though, I hope you all are good at paying attention to detail, because that bit concerning the bridge and lake will matter later on in addition to some of the other stuff. Ridash, I like your style, and I'm glad to see that your trying produces something pretty decent.

I have an inkling of what the Den is, and hopefully you can tell I'm creating -one- of the directions the story is taking. There will be several things and plots going on though, to which I hope yourselves can add. I'm probably also going to start spinning another thread or two into the tale with characters in another part of the world once this first leg gets underway. The biggest reason I'm not using alts myself is, I don't know how many points of view I want to use yet, and how many small extras I'm going to throw in from time to time.

I've got AIM on my phone that's usually on if any of you have it - Acerbic SLeIghT. Feel free to say hi on that, if you need to.

*yawns* Midnight here now. Bed's calling me.
Vivamus

Essence
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:07 am

*cough cough*

I do apologies for an error that I made. In my last post I went back and changed the word "killed" to "attacked." For some reason I was under the impression that the man had been killed but I see that that was not the case. However Strife being the type of person he is will still pursue the rouge in question.

Attention Ridash:

Just so you know exactly what I was planning. I had anticipated that Strife would lose track of Jit in town somewhere. I latter planned on him actually meeting Jit, however, since he never saw the rouges face he would not know that your character was the individual who attacked the man. Therefore, possibly befriending the person he was originally searching for. Could make an interesting story idea, however, it is still up in the air right now.

Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Ridash » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:12 am

Thanks.....<reads post> It's like I'm back in history class again. The whole business should set up a smooth transition. I already have thoughts formulating and look forward to seeing what else you have under your hat.

----
Just saw your post Strife. That would be an interesting meeting, but I think Jit will be taking off with Fahn's company. Though that is not certain yet. In any case, whenever or whereever they meet, that would make for some good opening dialogue.
|| Ridash ||
~Hip-Hip Hoozah!~
Ridash
Stablehand

Postby Essence » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:07 pm

Still got the option of meeting him in Fahn's company along the road somewhere. Or, if you send your character elsewhere, there will be another piece of this world running a storyline just as strong as this one. I'm thinking of running about two main story lines, and here and there a lesser one or three in this RP, just for the variety and chance to flesh out the world for fun.
Vivamus

Essence
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:01 pm

I might have Strife meet up with the group later.

Either way what I was planning would still work. Wheather I lose site of him in town or if he goes with Fahn, I can always meet him later and still not know it was him who attacked the merchant.

However, I more then likely will end up participating in one of the later plot lines. We shall see eh.

Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:12 pm

Also, sorry I forgot to mention, I will be out of town until late Sunday evening so anything involving my character will not be able to be done until Monday morning or so.

Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Next

Return to Writers Corner