A Land in Chaos 4

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Postby Vindao_Nuanni » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:32 am

The two magnificent dragons slowed their decent into the stony dried river bed. Each landed heavily on the stones. They knew it was possible for Teodor to discover the same riverbed; but the Faith camp was still a fair distance away, and he could never know where on the river he should begin looking. It was a chance they had taken, and Vindao believed it would work. He knew all too well the bond that could grow between a rider and his mount. It had always been something the Flurin encouraged. It made their warriors fight all the more fiercely, having something above themselves to protect. Only on very rare occasions did this mentality backfire upon the empire, as it had done with Vindao and Nuanni, and now possibly Lenox and Teodor to a lesser extent. The Silver was the first to undergo his transformation back to his familiar knightly form. Nuanni waited for Vindao to reach the ground before changing as well. Her feminine features were far more delicate and deceptive than most of the race she molded herself after, but she was growing more accustomed to its form. Vindao came to stand by her side as Sil walked across the rocky bed to join them.
”I hope we did the right thing.” Sil said, still questioning his decision, though he spoke more to himself than to those around him.
”If you want to keep your people safe from Lenox’s wrath, you could do nothing else. If you challenge him I do not know you would survive.” Nuanni’s words held no malice, but spoke only the truth as she saw it. With that she began to walk, letting Vindao lead the way as Sil followed just behind.
”How are we going to explain this? They will be suspicious when we return empty handed. If they find the camp they will look to us.” Now it was Vindao who spoke up in answer.
”We have everything under control. There is no threat from Teodor. He would not be able to find the camp again even if he wanted to. You ensured that. We will give them a believable story, and they will never find anything to suggest otherwise. They will uphold their part of the pact so long as we do the same.”
Vindao looked over to the knight and could see a fine glint of sweat on his brow. His nervousness showed more even now. Vindao let out a small sigh, hoping the Silver could keep a straight face when they made their report. They would have enough trouble with their story; he didn’t want to have to worry about their co-conspirator as well.

They traveled the distance back to the camp in relative silence. Dravven was still unsettled, but he no longer voiced his concerns. There was nothing he could do now anyway, and Nuanni knew full well that Dravven could not speak a word in defense of their story without betraying his nervousness. Still, they would have to go with it. Nuanni had been thinking of what she would say, her mind running through the options far faster than any lesser being ever could. Finally, she came to a conclusion she deemed satisfactory. When they finally reached the camp they were immediately led to Christopher’s tent to report. Nuanni noticed an extra guard posted at the small prisoner building. Blood still stained the grass where the wounded had fallen, but the other evidence of the struggle had been cleared away. Men and women alike parted for them as they were hastily led to Christopher’s tent by the sentry. They found the Faith General sitting behind his desk, a parchment still wet with ink sitting before him. He slid it absently to the side as he regarded the three. His expression was a mixture of concern, curiosity and fatigue.
”Please, take a seat. Do you bring news of the escaped prisoner?” The three guests found a seat easily. Nuanni’s eyes locked on Christopher as a hawk would sight its prey. Her unique eyes drew him in, causing him to lose his train of though for only a moment. It was something Vindao knew well, and he let her work her charms. Glancing over, Vindao could see Dravven trying to look serious, though his nervousness showed in his eyes. The knight’s hands were fidgeting under the table, but it was something Christopher could not observe. Once Nuanni was sure she had the generals attention, she began. Her eyes never left his, and trapped him, keeping him from looking at either Vindao or Dravven.
”Yes, we bring news. The prisoner will be of no trouble to us. We were able to chase him some distance from the camp. He nearly evaded us, but we continued our pursuit. He had no sense of bearing and eventually trapped himself at the edge of a chasm. Instead of surrendering, as any sane man would, he attempted to scale down the cliff’s edge. It was an admiral effort, but he was weak and his grip did not hold. He plummeted to the rocks below, landing with such force that none could have survived. It took only a few moments before his body was pulled into the fast currents of the river.” Nuanni’s idea came from what she remembered of the surrounding area. She knew they had been gone far longer than most would think necessary to capture a prisoner, and she knew a river ran at the bottom of the chasm near to her old cave. It was some distance from the Faith camp, but it would help add credibility to their story. It was a place as real and believable as anything else. The General’s own maps may even have it marked on them. Her old cave had since been discovered, but it would not be difficult to show Christopher exactly where she spoke of, if necessary. She knew it was a fair distance away, and it would be unlikely that Christopher would have the time or resources to investigate. In response, Christopher sat back in his chair and let out a sigh, breaking away from Nuanni to look at Vindao and Dravven. Both men remained silent, stern and unreadable. It was clearly more difficult for Dravven to uphold his appearance, but the Faith General’s gaze moved on quickly.
”Very well. If his body lays at the bottom of the river, then so does the secret he knows. If what you are telling me is true, then I see no reason for alarm. I thank you for your swift action in this matter.” Christopher rubbed the side of his temple, as if he could ease a pain in the back of his mind, his fatigue showing. Nuanni rose to her feet, quickly mimicked by both Dravven and Vindao. Respectfully, she gave a slight bow.
”We do what we can General. It was just fortunate we were there to act. Nuanni spoke to the Faith general as she had always been taught to speak to officers, with respect and grace. Her own intense military training had been ingrained in her tiniest mannerisms. She continued once she knew Christopher was not about to say more.
“It has grown late. We will leave you to your matters. ” Nuanni said, her voice calming. Christopher smiled, and nodded, thinking the same thing himself. The three guests left the tent and made their way through the camp. Nuanni did not pause, though she knew Dravven trailed behind them. Vindao stayed just to her left, a few steps behind. She was not concerned, nor hardly acknowledged the lie she had told. In her mind it was a simple matter. In order for things to continue running smoothly, the minor omission of Teodor’s escape and the dragon pact was for the best. To expose the truth would only further complicate matters. She had no doubt it was better this way, though Dravven was not yet convinced. She heard the heavy footsteps of the knight catch up to her, and she heard his sharp intake of breath before he spoke. Before the words could leave his lips, she had stopped and turned to face him. Her action had caught him slightly off guard, though he was unable to pause before he spoke.
”What now?” Dravven asked quietly, clearly not used to such skullduggery, and hesitant to listen to anything the blue would tell him. Nuanni had anticipated his worries, and was ready to ease his mind.
”Do as you will. Train, prepare, rest… do what you like. There is still much to be done if you will help turn the tide of this war. Your action this day has spared many, but you have more to do. The war is not yet won.”
The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender.
Elite Dragon Knight of the Fluirin
Vindao_Nuanni
Stablehand

Postby AngelEyes » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:46 pm

Couldn't have been written without Rifter.

On the far side of the room Angel spied him sitting in a chair his head hung over a table apparently reading a book, the sight of which was lost to her.. The room was much the same as it ever was, vacant, but for a few pieces of furniture. There was a life to the building that seemed almost ethereal, brightening with continuous motion unseen to the naked eye. She dared to take a few steps closer to him, her footsteps falling hollow on the wooden floorboards. "Mika..." her voice shook with emotion at seeing him again. This man alone had been the one man whom had done everything she ever dared to ask. He never wronged her, promised her things he could not deliver, nor did he lie to her. He had always said the things he meant, and always held open his arms and his home to her. If she had faith in any man it would be this one. So when he didn't respond to her, she stepped a few steps closer, reached her hand out to touch his shoulder, and voiced his name again. "Mika..."

His head turned to see her hand, more so he transfixed himself upon it, cocking his head questioning its sudden appearance. His eyes traveled up the length of her arm, past the child that lay across her bosom, eventually landing on her face. She smiled in recongnition, her lips broad across her face, her eyes aglow with the magical touch she felt within his home. He cranked his body turned it to face her, his face had gone pale and his jaw slacked hanging slightly open. "Am I dead...?" he asked in utter disbelief at seeing her.

She laughed at him, her hand reaching to cradle his face. "No you are most assuredly not dead." He pinched her hand, watched her reaction, then pinched himself for good measure. It was painful he realized, he could not be dead.

"Then..is it really you?" His mind told him it couldn't be, she was destroyed with the rest of Faith Hills, this was his punishment for failing her...for failing them all. Though he could feel the warmth of her touch, see her reactions upon her face, he could not bring himself to believe she was there before him.

"Yes, Mika it is really me." It was that instant he realized having her before him wouldn't be torment, seeing her again, seeing her safe was a joy, something unexperienced in all these years or texts he'd been reading.

He embraced her with all the greatfulness he felt in his heart. He didn't know what brought her to his door, but he was thankful for it just the same. The child wriggled between them bringing them briefly apart. "What has happened, where have you gone, how did you escape the fall of Faith Hills."

Her happiness though brief had been officially cut off for the moment, bringing the answers to mind. "You are right, the capitol has fallen, but luckily we were in Freeport when it happened. Luckily we have lived there for sometime safe, until recently..." Her words ended abruptly not yet ready to share the Flurin with her friend. "And you Mika? How have you known about Faith Hills."

"I believed you dead. I dreamt it, so many strange dreams." His mind wandered reminiscently, remembering the dreams he had so often had. "And now Angel, what has happened now? You spoke...until recently? What does this mean? Do you need me? Is that why you've come?"

"I've come to help you. If you'll let me." Her words were soothing, bringing his trail of questions to a brief halt. Their eyes connected and deep within them she saw the familiar blue flame.
AngelEyes
Stablehand

Postby Rifter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:31 pm

(ooc) I didnt want to wait anymore for my alts to be fixed so here is the post from Mika.(/ooc)

His eyes transfix on hers as he takes in the sight of her. It couldn’t be, but here she was before him. What could have happened to her to create the perplexing and troubling look in her eyes as he stares into them? Oh to get lost and go back to a time when things were simpler.

Then it registered, "did you say your here to help me? I have long failed you, thought you dead and you have come to aid me, for some reason that just sounds wrong. I must do something to deserve your help if for no other reason than to show you my not helping you was not on purpose. I simply didn’t know help was needed, nor did I know how to render it as I am. The time that has passed recently seems surreal, especially now that you have brought me news. Does anyone else still live, your husband Vaalic, Queen Somber, prince Aramis, that strange man Shadowrune?"

So many things were swimming through the confused mans head and this vision had come to help clear them. He had failed her miserably and her eyes have taken on such a burden and so many troubles, yet she finds time to come and offer to help him. As she looks at him thinking of her answers he comes to his own thoughts once more. "Where are my manners, can I offer you drink and food, and for your little one. I imagined he would be older now, or is this your 2nd, or perhaps even 3rd with Lord Vaalic?

Watching her carefully and waiting for a response a look crossed her face as if someone had just told her everything she ever cared for was gone.
Rifter
Stablehand

Postby Killean » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:54 pm

ShadowRune found himself sitting upon the roof of the palace once again, his eyes closed, his mind numb from running a million words through his head. If one was to see him now, you would see a calm possessed by those of the insane lament, a state of peace much like the eye of a storm. Over and over in a never ending loop one scene played out in this mans thoughts,
I never have control! I never have a choice! He's right. I never did.
No one does. Our path lies before us... All we must do is walk it. Everyone has control of some sort... Why don't I?
I know where my path leads now. I can almost see it, my path, fading into the darkness...

For hours he remained like this never moving, almost never breathing, until the morning sun rose and Shadow stood up in an instant grabbing his head and screaming, "Why?!" Shadow stood silent, his mind completly blank. As if in answer to his plea a voice spoke in the back of his mind saying what he should have known all this time, Angel. Without any hesitation Shadow dropped from the ceiling to the ground and hurried into the palace, quickly making his way to her door. Upon entering he was not prepared for the surprise that awaited him, an empty room. With inhuman speed Shadow was again outside her room and grasping the throat of a guard outside.
"Where is she?" He snarled, his grip tightening with each word.
"I.. havn't... seen.... her!" The guard replied as best he could.
"We have been keeping a good eye on the door sir, and she hasn't left her room!" The other said hastily. Shadow released the man from his iron grip making him fall to the ground coughing. Slowly he entered her room once more, walking over to the crib and placing a hand on it, all the while staring out the window to the amber horizon.

"I must know. She must know! Where are you Angel?" Shadow spoke in a whisper, a form a sadness barely heard within the cold creature. Without him noticeing, two of the three men walked into the room but did not approach any closer then a foot from the door.
"Excuse me sir?" The first shyly asked for Shadow's attention. Shadow solemnly turned around with such a pathetic and lonely face which made the guards even more nervous.
"Umm, you see, that is, w.. we..." The other man paused unsure of how to procede, luckily the first chimed in soon after, "We, uhh, overheard the lady talking to herself a while ago and he" He signaled to his partner with a nod of his head, "was growing concerned that she had lost her mind."
"Yes. For a good while she seemed to be telling a story about what happened before we arrived, and then after until now. It sounded as if she was talking to another, but we heard no other voice. She talked about a destroyed city, a man named Myka, about his home she thought was destroyed, and that she must leave to speak with him." He said, and this tale cause Shadow much confusion, but it also instilled much hope.
"Thank you..." Shadow simply said and stepped out of the room. In an instant Shadow went into a stealthy and quick mode and made his way out of the palace. Once outside he forgot about trying to hide and ran full tilt for the city exit to the east. Upon reach the gate, which was closed, he forewent any hesitation the guards there might place on him, and ricocheted off the wall, to the closest building and then to the top of the wall. Just barely making it to the edge Shadow threw himself off the other side and landed gracfully on the ground at least a dozen or more feet below.
I must know why Angel! You must know why!
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Postby Khellandros » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:09 am

Khell had been lying on the makeshift bed in the medical tent for some time. He had drifted in and out of sleep several times, losing all sense of time. The pain he felt was the same constant throb he was beginning to grow accustomed to. It was only when he moved that he felt the sharp needle-like pain of his wounds. With every aching twitch of his muscles he thought about those responsible for doing this. Never before had he felt such pain, and Khell couldn’t help but feel the urge to inflict some form of revenge on his captors. Still, he was grateful to those that went out of their way to help him. Jasmine especially had been in his thoughts. Since their escape she had been there for him, and he couldn’t think of a way to thank her. Jurret had also done so much to ease his pain. Khell knew very little about the man’s work, but he knew better than to question his judgment. Jurret had proven himself more than capable of easing the young elf’s pains. When Jurret had begun to re-set his bones, Khell felt his senses go numb with pain. The excruciating burning sensation beneath his skin was made worse only by the sound of the bone cracking back into place. His head swam, as Jurret concluded his mending, and before Khell had realized what had happened a sense of tranquility fell over him, and for a few moments the pain he had been feeling was only a distance memory. When his senses returned fully he felt stiff, but no longer in pain; a miracle in itself. He still felt weak, but so much better than moments before. Khell hardly had a chance to thank Jurret before the healer laid down to rest. Jasmine was by his side, and he offered her a slight smile before his weakened state slipped back into rest.

When his eyes opened again, she was gone. Slowly, Khell pushed himself up, surprised to feel only a tenseness, and not mind numbing pain. Looking around the medical tent he quickly spotted her on the far side, speaking quietly with the doctor. He let himself relax somewhat as his hands moved tenderly across his ribs. Looking beneath his shirt he could still see the dark discolored bruises, but the small amount of pain they gave him was almost welcome in comparison. Sliding off the makeshift cot, Khell got to his feet. He felt energetic for the first time since his escape, and he knew he owed Jurret for it. Khell remembered Jurret’s warning, and didn’t intend on overexerting himself, but he wanted to be doing something. Jurret was lying on the cot beside him resting. Walking across the room the doctor looked over to him as he approached. Jasmine turned, and offered him a smile as he made his way over to them.
”How do you feel?” She asked, noticing the relative ease in which he was walking.
”Like I’ve been blessed with a new body.” Khell laughed, his spirits the highest he could remember for quite some time.
”You’ve both been asleep for quite some time… I was wondering when you would stir. It’s good to see Jurret was able to help you.” The doctor commented, as he looked from Khell, to the sleeping healer behind him.
”Yes, I owe him a debt of gratitude. I want to help however I can.”
”Well, there hasn’t been much activity lately, thank the gods. Not much that needs to be done right now.” The doctor answered.
”Now that’s not entirely true.” The voice came from behind them, and the three turned to see Jurret still lying on his cot, his eyes open. Sitting up, the healer got to his feet and began walking towards them.
”If you want I could show you how to mix a basic healing balm. We won’t be able to make enough of the stuff in the coming months I’d imagine.” Jurret offered as he wiped the last pulls of sleep from his eyes. Khell smiled, and Jurret took it as a yes. Jasmine moved in closer to listen as Jurret began to speak.
Until lions have their historians,
tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
Khellandros
Stablehand

Postby Killean » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:39 pm

"The most important thing to remember about making healing balm is the way how you test it, after all you don't want a balm that is too weak, or too strong. There are two sane methods of how to test the balm, one of which is the way I prefer, and that is to take a finger full and rub it on your tongue. The other and more difficult method, or so I find, is to pay close attention to the smell of the herbs being ground." Jurret explained as he gathered all the materials needed. A few dozen herbs, some water, and his grinding utensils.
"It's very simple, you just grind some of the herb with the pestle, add a bit of water and continue." He said as he demonstrated grinding the plant into the bowl, which was easy enough considering the fact that the plant was dry. Adding some water Jurret continued to grind, which caused the dried substance to thicken almost instantly.
"At this point in the process you will notice the smell of the balm the most." Jurret said, stopping what he was doing to hold the bowl up for the two to take a smell from.
"Smells like something is burning." Jasmine exclaimed, her nose twitching with every breath she took near the bowl.
"Yes, that is the smell you have to remember as you mix, because it get awfully faint when it's close to the final strength. As for the other method," Jurret placed the bowl down, scooped just a tiny amount on his finger and rubbed it on the top of his tongue. Before he could even get his finger out of his mouth his face cringed, and his eye began to water.
"This is also the strongest it will get for taste, or lack there of. If you want to get someone up in a hurry, just place a bit of this on their lip. And before you even get the chance to move your hand away guaranteed they will be awake." Once he finished cringing, he pushed the bowl forward.
"Try it if you dare, and don't worry, it doesn't burn or anything."

Reluctantly Khell dipped his finger in slightly, and slowly moved it up to his lips. At first he didn't feel anything, until his tongue lashed out and rubbed the balm on his lip. Instantly he slammed his fist on the table and cringed slightly less then Jurret had.
"What's wrong?" Jasmine asked, concerned.
"This is beyond bitter!" He replied, calming down a little now. Jurret offered some now to Jasmine, however she was now quite adamant about not trying any after Khellandros' reaction. So Jurret picked up the pestle, added more water and continued to grind.
"One way to do this is to continuously add water until the balm is really soupy. That is when it's at its weakest smell and taste. From there, you add bits of the herb to strengthen it bit by bit until you get the desired strength. I on the other hand like to work the opposite way, as it wastes fewer materials to make a batch. However that is entirely up to you how you do it."
After a couple more times of adding small amounts of water, Jurret tested the balm one more. He cringed, but it wasn’t as severe this time.
"Perfect. Give this a taste and smell." He said giving the bowl to Khell. First he smelt the contents, and as Jurret said the burning smell was extremely weak. Again Khell hesitantly took a small amount on his finger and tried it. He didn't cringe, and almost smiled because the bitterness was much more tolerable. Giving the bowl to Jasmine, Jurret could not help but chuckle seeing her expression jumping from the bowl to Khell. Going for no guts and no glory, she took a small amount and rubbed it on her tongue, instantly cringing as much as Jurret had.

"And that's all there is to it really." Jurret spoke with a smile.
"How can you stand tasting this stuff?" She asked, still a little more then appalled at the taste.
"You know I never expected healing practices would be this bad when I first started out. As time passed I figured just so long as I can heal the injured, I am willing to make little sacrifices, which includes tasting one of the worlds worst concoctions." He chuckled, then sighed as his mind wandered.
"What happens if we don't mix it right?" Jasmine picked up after the brief silence.
"If it's too weak then it won't do anything, but by too weak I mean the balm has so solidity, almost pure liquid. If it's too strong, like what I initially did, then it won't spread over a wound easily and more then likely cause great discomfort." Jurret answered with a frown.
"A balm that stings is still better then the old method of using the hot stick." Geran chimed in from the corner.
"There I won't argue with you Geran. Definitely a lot better than the old days." Again more silence after Jurret spoke. It was so quiet, that everyone could here the protests his stomach were shouting.
"Would you like to go get something to eat Jasmine?" Khell asked, in turn she looked over to Jurret, "Care to join us?" With a nod, Jurret stood.
"Maybe we can also see what Warren was so upset about this morning." Jurret said following the two out of the tent.

I must know why Angel! You must know why! The dark one thought again, ripping through the air at an incredable speed down the path.
It's going to take me a full day to get to Faith Hills running like this... I hope shes alright... With those last four words his run came to a dramatic halt.
"What if she isn't? That city has been ruined for almost a year and I'm sure there are dozens of bandits using it as there home. She could be in danger!" Shadow said, his train of thought changed. He now began to run to Faith Hills with a new purpose. No more self-centered want, just a genuine need to save her and the child, as he said he would.
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:40 am

Vaalic had remained with Strife and Christopher for a short while, listening to their conversation but having little to contribute. The day was still relatively young, and there was much to be done. Finally, Christopher offered to show Strife to his new camp residence and Vaalic took this opportunity to part ways. The sky had cleared up considerably, and though the ground was still soaked, he no longer had to worry about the rain. Vaalic knew there was a great deal to organize and plan, especially now that Somber’s departure was immanent. Their assault on the Flurin slave mines would be in a mere two weeks, and Vaalic wanted to be sure the soldiers were ready. He knew they would wait until the Flurin sent a supply caravan to re-stock the guards in the mine, and Aramis would be instrumental in giving them the warning for this. The supplies would give a reasonable boost to their own supply stock, at least for the time being. To co-ordinate the attack on the caravan and the mines would be a challenge, but one Vaalic intended to spend a great deal of time preparing for. As for now, he had no pressing matters and he would take the small reprieve. With the pace they had been going, he had very little time to himself and it was beginning to get to him.

Vaalic made his way to the river, where he greeted a small group of women that had come to gather water. He did not stay to talk, but rather followed the river’s edge a short way down until he was just out of sight from the common gathering point. It was quieter here, and he let his mind relax. He would have at least a few hours before he knew he should return. He remained standing by the running water, watching it flow roughly downstream for a few moments before he drew his sword. Sitting down on one of the large rocks that lined the river’s bank, he crossed his legs and took out the small whetstone he carried with him. The edge of the river was relatively calm but muddy, though from his small perch atop the stone Vaalic had no trouble reaching the water. Taking his time, he examined his blade, taking in the sharp angles, and turning it to catch in the light. The edge was still lethally sharp, yet he would not deny himself this simple pleasure. Reaching over he dipped the stone in the water, before gliding it across the edge. The coarse grind of stone on steel echoed slightly, but was easily lost in the sounds of the river. He let himself become consumed in his task, honing the blade to deadly perfection. He did not rush, and made every stroke with careful precision.

His time by the river had moved swiftly. Nearly an hour passed before Vaalic was finally satisfied with his result. Looking his sword over once more he smiled as he tested the edge with his calloused thumb, pleased by the difference. A stick was snapped a stone’s throw behind him, somewhere behind the concealment of the trees. In the next heartbeat he had turned and found his feat beneath him, his hand gripping his sword expectantly. He had grown so relaxed that he had forgotten where he was for a moment, and he let his blade fall easily to his side when he spotted Hugh; Aramis’ guard. Vaalic smiled in greeting as he sheathed his sword. Why Hugh had been walking through the forest and not the more open area by the water’s edge Vaalic didn’t know, until he spotted Aramis step out a short distance away, much closer to where he had been sitting than Vaalic would have expected. The prince had nearly come up on him without his realization.
”Not bad Vaalic, I almost had you this time.” The prince said with a smirk. It was the second time in the last day that the prince had gone unnoticed to him, and though it made him uneasy, he was impressed.
”As always prince, you carry yourself well. You’ve gotten quieter.” Vaalic answered as both Aramis and Hugh made their way towards him to talk more comfortably. Though he was no longer trying to slip past unnoticed, Aramis seemed to glide across the ground when compared to the heavy footed guard that followed him.
”It’s a necessity. Among other things, it has kept me from the hands of the Flurin this long. You might be surprised what I’ve picked up over my time in the city.” The prince said more solemnly, though a slight smile edged his lips. Vaalic could tell Aramis wanted to say something, but the young prince was hesitant. After another moment he turned to his guard and respectively asked for some space. Vaalic took note of how Aramis treated Hugh as a friend, not a servant. It seemed to be a trait reserved for only very few of the nobility and in fact Vaalic had ever only seen the Queen and the prince treat everyone with respect. Hugh was out of sight and earshot shortly after, as Aramis turned back to talk with Vaalic.
”What brings you wandering along the river?” Vaalic asked, genuinely curious.
”I heard you were here.” The prince answered flatly before continuing.
”So, my mother… is she really going?” Aramis asked, concerned. Vaalic nodded, though he understood the prince’s unease.
”It is something she feels she must do. It will be dangerous for them, but I have full confidence in Jake and his abilities, and she is not without her own strengths. It has been her resolve and determination that has carried us through very dark times already. Besides, she may very well be safer away from here. There is no telling how things may go, and should the Flurin manage to route our camp, it would be better for her to be far, far away.”
The last was not a thought either of them liked, but it was one they would have to consider. Aramis gave a slight nod of understanding, though he did not speak at first. After a moment’s though, he continued.
”It will be strange to not have her around.” The prince’s words came with a little more trouble, but his voice did not waver.
”I wish we could send more soldiers with them.”
”Their survival depends on their ability to remain unnoticed. The more soldiers that accompany them the more it may hinder their chances, but I agree. It is a great burden and risk they are taking upon themselves.” Vaalic’s words held the confidence of one who has repeated it to themselves countlessly.
”What can they expect to accomplish? They are only two against a nation.” Aramis spoke as much to himself as to Vaalic. It was a question Vaalic had also asked himself of late, though he had found an answer to ease his mind.
”They do not go there to defeat an Empire, but rather to disrupt it. Somber hopes to draw the Flurin’s attention away from us here, at least for a short while until we can establish a better foothold. They may only be two, but there can be strength in such small numbers. If you think being small is ineffective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.” The prince gave a small smirk, but did not look convinced. Still, he knew there would be no changing his mother’s mind.
”If anyone can make a change it’ll be her.” Aramis conceded finally, before reaching into the small bag he kept strapped to his side.

He took a moment to find the object inside. Taking it from the bag, he handed it over. Vaalic took the relatively heavy object and turned it over in his hand, examining it. Overall it was no more than a half a foot long, with a polished wooden handle consisting of over half its length. It was cylindrical in general shape and over an inch thick, though the wooden handle tapered down to nearly half the width before giving way to steel. The steel half of the object continued to taper until right before the end, where a coin sized disk had been attached. Upon closer inspection Vaalic noticed the coin-like base had an intricately carved design etched into it: a dragon holding a double edged sword. The detail of the etching was exceptional, and it was the only one of its like Vaalic had seen.
”It’s the General’s signet seal of office. I’ve been carrying it with me since I acquired it, and even used it to forge documents once or twice. The Flurin soldiers recognize it as a General’s insignia. I thought it might have its uses when they get into the Flurin territory.” Vaalic looked up from his examination.
”I’m sure it will. Why not give it to them yourself?” He asked, seeing that Aramis was using him as a middleman.
”I’ve already said my goodbyes, and I think it’ll be hard on her to do it all over again. Besides, I’ll see them when they get back. Hugh and I were just about to head back to the city. I thought you should have it.” Aramis answered without much enthusiasm, and Vaalic had no desire to press the point.
”I’ll make sure she gets it. Have a safe journey back, and may fortune be with you.”
”And you Vaalic. We’ll talk again soon, once we get those birds comfortable with their rout.”
”I’ll be looking forward to it.” With a firm handshake, Aramis made his way back up the river to where he knew Hugh would be waiting. Vaalic fingered the signet as he watched the prince go, before he too made his way back to the camp.
When a Greater evil unites, the good must come together;
else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a useless struggle.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby Ruakha » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:29 am

The storm had ended relatively abruptly, and the General had been getting reports almost hourly on the damage done to the city. The strong winds had destroyed a few roofs, and several streets had been flooded, but the damage was still minimal. It was the newly constructed refugee camp that had taken the worst of it. Their makeshift lodging was in some cases unable to stand against the unusually powerful wind. Ruakha had left his state room and was now riding through the streets of Freeport on his powerful charger: a tall black battle horse. A set of twelve guards accompanied him as he rode openly through the streets. His keen eye scanned the surroundings, taking in the water damage the storm had caused. It was mostly superficial damage: leaves, broken branches, flooded roads and wind thrown objects that had been left outside. In truth he cared nothing for what had happened to the city. There had been nothing destroyed that had affected him personally, and he was actually in a pleasant mood. With the exception that traveling through the city made him uneasy. Ruakha continued to scan the shadows; paranoid there may be assassins lurking.

His personal guards had been hand picked. They were men of aspiring ambitions, and their affiliation with the General would undoubtedly help bolster their careers. Still, they were only twelve men. He almost laughed then. How unlike a conqueror he sounded: afraid to walk the streets of the city that was by law of conquest rightfully his. He knew the majority of the citizens had been cowed to order, but there were always those that would defy the natural order of the world. He was their new master, and it would be only a matter of time before they came to realize it.

It was not long before the General reached his destination: the dockyards of Freeport. There were three ships still in the harbor, though only one held his attention. It was a moderately sized trade ship that flew the colors of the Flurin high. The ship had already made port, even with the haste he had made to get here upon hearing of its sighting. As he came closer the General could see the ship’s crew on the docks. It took him a few moments of scanning before he spotted the captain. As he came closer the general notice the captain was talking to someone. Upon further inspection Ruakha realized it was the Lady Vental. He was put off at first; not knowing how she could have possibly gotten here faster than him, but was pleased to see everything was under control. Both Vental and the Captain turned and saluted as the General approached them, dismounting from his horse.
”Greetings General.” Vental said as she finished her salute. The Captain looked the General over appraisingly, but remained silent. Ruakha didn’t seem to notice the look, and returned the salute quickly.
”Greetings to you both. I trust your journey was pleasant Captain?” The General asked in uncharacteristic cheerfulness. The change made Vental raise a curious eyebrow, but she said nothing. The Captain however seemed to be in a foul mood, and still held a scowl on his face.
”Nae, General. The waters in these parts are dangerous and unpredictable.” Ruakha nodded, as though he understood the Captains troubles, though he knew nothing about the sea, or its waters.
”Captain Scrive has come for the tribute promised to the Emperor. I have already sent for the wagons, they should be here shortly.” Vental added when no one else seemed ready to speak. Ruakha’s smile dropped, and he almost cursed aloud.
’Sent for the wagons?’ He felt like shouting. ’How could she have arrived so early to have sent for the wagons? I only just received the summons!’ The General was growing irritable. Vental had done right, but the fact that she had clearly been informed of the Flurin ship’s arrival sooner than him was something that gnawed at him. Still, he was in the presence of a fellow Flurin officer, and he could not let his displeasure show.
”Excellent. The mines have been very productive. I believe the Emperor will be pleased. Do you bring news from the Empire?” Ruakha asked expectantly, his anticipation only thinly concealed.
”Aye, I have news for your army, and for you personally.” The Captain paused a moment, giving Ruakha a chance to cut in.
”Out with it. Lady Vental is one of my officers. You can speak in her presence.” Vental’s jaw clenched, biting back words better left unsaid. Still the Captain looked between the two of them before speaking.
”I knew this already General. It was not the Lady’s presence that gave me pause…” The Captain reached to his side and retrieved a scroll case. Handing it over, the General took it expectantly. Quickly he broke the wax insignia seal that had sealed the parchment and began to scan its contents. At first he read quickly, but as the words sank in he began to slow, until finally he finished the letter. Looking up to the Captain, Ruakha crumpled the paper between his hands, crushing it into a brittle ball.
”General?” Vental asked, seeing the Generals grim and angry expression. Ruakha did not even glance in her direction as he spoke.
”The Emperor has refused my request for reinforcements.” His words were eerily calm, and though he did not look at her they were meant for Vental.
”We are besieged! All I need is a few more divisions to break this stalemate! Surely the Emperor can understand that.” Ruakha’s words were now filled with anger, and directed at the Captain. The mariner stood his ground, matching Ruakha’s stare.
”I know only little of this matter General. His lordship believes you were given more than ample troops: ground and otherwise to eliminate any resistance. I would suggest making full use of the resources you have.” The Captain stood tall, almost arrogantly over the General. He would have struck the captain then, had Vental’s arm not stopped him. She grabbed his arm in a subtle gesture, pinning it between them as she addressed the Captain.
”Thank you for the news Captain. We will do as the Emperor sees fit.” Ruakha broke away from her grasp and took a few steps away from the two. He began to pace the dock, taking the few moments to cool his head. Even as they spoke the first wagons of ore were arriving on carts. The ship’s crew was already beginning to load the heavy cargo aboard. After a moment Ruakha returned, pulling his own scroll case out to hand to the Captain. The mariner took the rolled document, but did not open it. He knew it was reports meant for the emperor, and it would be his head if he were to read them.
”General, there seems to be an oversight. Your reports are tied with a strand of ribbon. You have forgotten your seal.” The Captain pointed out simply, looking over the tied document. The General had anticipated the concern, and he knew answered would be needed, but not yet.
”You have your orders Captain. Deliver the document intact.” Ruakha said before he turned to leave.
”There is one more thing, General.” The Captain said, getting Ruakha’s attention.
”I bring news from your wife, Lady Valerie.” He had the General’s full attention now, though Ruakha was suspicious.
”She wished me to tell you, she has had a child. You have a son and his name is Makaial.” The Captain spoke with the same tone he would have used for a battle report, though Ruakha didn’t notice. A large smile crossed his lips, though it lasted for only a few moments before it faded.
”Thank you Captain for the news and your report. Now, if you will excuse me I have pressing matters to attend. I trust the Lady will have no objections overseeing the loading and the receiving of supplies?” The General said, shortly before he turned and made his way back to his horse without giving them a chance to answer. He knew Vental was more than capable of taking command here, and the meeting had left a bitter taste in the Generals mouth.

He noticed that his own guards had since begun to talk with the guards Vental had brought with her. Between the two of them they had taken the most promising bodyguards, and Ruakha knew them all by name. He thought nothing of it until he spotted a man he did not recognize. He was a large brute of a man and wore the mark of one of Vental’s men. He was larger still than the strongest man Ruakha had recruited. It was then that the strange guard noticed the General’s intent stare, and matched it. The General saw something there that he couldn’t place, but it made him uncomfortable. Turning away, he spurred his horse into motion, his guards rushing to following just behind.

Ruakha rode at a dangerous speed back through the city, pride, anger and jealously corrupting his thoughts. He was furious at his denial of reinforcements, and he knew it could well be a long while before anything was fully resolved. He was pinned behind the walls by the damn Faith army that had been hiding like snakes in the grass; difficult to spot, and deadly swift. His problems were not limited to those outside his city. Even within his precious walls there were those that plotted against him. He wanted to know who they were, where they lived and who was leading them. They were all questions necessary to ending their pointless resistance. It was to his prison that he now rode. Among the reports he had received from the storm, one had been a dispatch from one of his patrol units. They had been ambushed by more Faith cowards, but had managed to fight them off. They had counted three soldiers dead, no less than five rebels slain with two that were taken wounded but alive.

Entering the prison, the General quickly found where his prey was being held. Their cries of anguish could be heard from well outside the prison walls. A reminded to those within earshot the consequences of crossing their masters. Opening the door, Ruakha took in the scene before him. Two young prisoners were chained to the wall, their cries of pain caused by their inquisitor and a hot brand. Their faces had been seared and scarred. The smell of burning flesh was thick enough to taste. There were two inquisitors present, and the guards posted at the prison had over doubled since the last escape. There would be no help coming for these unfortunate souls. They belonged to him now. Ruakha looked at the two terrified and trembling men, and smiled.
”What have they told you?” He asked of the inquisitor.
”Nothing my lord.” The inquisitor said even as he put the brand back into the fire for heating. The room was as large as four prison cells, and recently filled with the most effective tools of information gathering. It was far too small for their needs as a whole, but it would do nicely for just two men.
”Put this man on the rack. Stretch him until his arms are pulled free. As for the other, continue with the brand, and break the joints in his arms.” Ruakha was pleased to see the prisoners cower at the sound of their soon to be torture. The younger one, a boy just into adulthood was in far worse shape, as he began to sob. The older man did not meet the Generals gaze, and seemed dead already.
”Give them a chance to speak as you go. For the first one of them to give me the name of their leader, stop the interrogation. For the one that refuses burn out his eyes and cut out his tongue. I want him left here as a symbol for the others we bring in. I want that one to live a good, long time.”
”Aye General.” Ruakha stayed to watch as the inquisitors struggled to get the kicking and screaming young boy onto the rack. Within minutes the blood curdling screams of both men echoed through the halls. It took only a few moments before the boy finally cried out.
”Aramis!” The General gave a nod for the interrogation to stop. Stepping closer, he moved to within a breaths distance of the tormented boy.
”What was that boy?” The other prisoner shouted for his partner to remain silent, but the boy was defeated. He could go no further, and the General knew it. After several deep breaths, the boy tried again to speak clearly.
”Aramis… the prince… he leads them.” With a nod to the other inquisitor, the other prisoner’s wails overpowered every other sound as Ruakha’s wish was enacted. With the severing of his tongue the screams lessened, though only somewhat. The boy on the rack was weeping openly now, as the General undid the restraints himself.
”You have done well boy. There is no shame here. You are under our protection now. Will you tell us where your prince hides?” Ruakha asked, his hopes rising. Hesitantly the boy nodded.
True power does not come from wielding a sword.
Rather it comes from influencing those that do.
Ruakha
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:17 am

Meanwhile, behind the walls of Freeport, a group of men had come together. One man in particular stood out from the rest, his long hair bleached white from age. The thick creases on his face seemed to be a testament to his long vanished youth, coupled with several uncomely scars. Of the men that had gathered in the cramped candle-lit room, he was clearly their senior, though he held no rank amongst them. To most the elder looked like an old, tired and crippled beggar. His left hand had been cleanly severed at the wrist, and his cloths were tattered and torn. Still they were an improvement from what he had grown accustomed mere days before. He now carried a Flurin issued sword by his waist, though he cursed their name at every opportunity. Time had gone swiftly these past few days, with little time reserved for the sleep he knew was necessary. Domianos could not say the name of a single man present, but he called each on of them brother. He had been a prisoner since the day he had challenged the Flurin guards, and was enjoying his new found freedom. With his escape from the prison he had soon found himself wrapped up in the prince’s underground force. The Flurin blood that had stained his blade when they took him in made him comrades easily, though he had again proven his dislike of the Flurin at every opportunity. Unlike some of the others he had escaped with, Domianos was the only one with anything resembling skill. Even with his missing hand he was a formidable swordsman, and even with age ailing him, he was still more than a match for any Flurin soldier he had met thus far.

Domianos remained standing even as some of the others sat down wearily, resting their back against the walls. Blood stained his hands and he had no desire to wash them clean. Tonight had been a night of poor judgment and failure. They had been given a report stating that a Flurin patrol was only a few city streets away. Every man present, Domianos included, went out to ambush the unaware soldiers. It was a tactic he was growing more used to. The Flurin patrol was told to have merely five soldiers; too few to matter against the twelve men that had gone to meet them. The Faith rebels had waited for the soldier to walk nearly upon them before they sprung from the alleys with a flurry of steel and challenges. The soldiers were not startled as they should have been, but rather met the charge readily. That was the first indication that something was awry. Still, Domianos fought, sending his blade piercing through the artery hidden within a young Flurin’s armpit as the boy raised his hands to strike. The wound was fatal, covering the already moving swordsman in a spray of blood, even as he moved deeper into the fray. Before the fatally wounded soldier had hit the ground more shouts were heard as Flurin soldiers seemed to swarm the streets and come from behind the doors of the homes. The Faith rebels quickly found themselves surrounded and outnumbered. Two allies were slain within moments of the trap being sprung. The momentum the Faith men held was shattered, as their only though now was escape. Two more Flurin soldiers were killed while Domianos and the others tried to wedge through the encircling enemy. Many of the Flurin soldiers were wounded in some way, but nothing that appeared serious, yet three more Faith soldier had fallen to Flurin blades, and two others were too wounded to escape. In desperation the remaining five Faith rebels managed to break through the tightening noose that had been drawn and run to safety.

Several hours had passed since the event and even still, within the protection of their safe house no one had said a word. They had given the time to reflect on those they had lost. But most confusing was how they had been baited into the trap. It was something none of them could have anticipated. Finally, one of the men broke the silence.
”They are growing wise to our tactics. Soon they will expect our every move even before we think it ourselves.” The pessimistic tone was echoed by the nodding of several heads. Domianos however had not been spending their time in silence wallowing in pity as the others seemed to have been doing. Instead he was calculating, considering and rationalizing. Patience had not been a gift bestowed upon him in old age, and if anything his long years had shortened that fuse. Still, he knew better than to rush forward like a fool. He was a simple man, and understood the idea of revenge and retaliation.
”Then we will grow wiser.” He answered the defeated soldier finally. ”If they think of our next move, we will have another to flank them. The question is, can we figure out what’s going on inside their heads?” The others looked to him with more than a little confusion evident on their features. The man who had passed for their leader had been slain in the ambush, and Domianos reluctantly found all eyes looking to him. It was true he had more training and experience than any of these boys had years in their life, but he didn’t want to lead. He had a taste for it once, but now he wanted nothing more than to find his peace. Still, he had to finish his thoughts.
”It is true they got the better of us. Their trap was cleanly set, but poorly implemented. We’re still breathing, which is not something they were intending. Several good men were left out there and that was something that couldn’t have been helped. I could still hear the calls from at least one of our own when we were finally free.” One of the soldiers spat on the floor, his eyes burning into the elder swordsman.
”We were all there old man. Spare us the retelling.” Domianos met the man’s stare without so much as a raised eyebrow.
”I do not make mention of it to keep the wound fresh. We left a living man behind, and there was no one that could have done otherwise without sacrificing their own life. What I say is that the Flurin may have at least one of our number captive, if he did not die before they could stop his bleeding.” The soldier standing beside Domianos pushed himself up from leaning against the wall.
”By the gods, he’s right. Damian was still alive last I saw. If he still lives they will torture him. He knows the location of our safe house here.” The panic in his voice was easily met by the others worried looks.
“We have to go. We’re not safe here.” The man’s voice held authority and his thoughts were quickly agreed upon, though Domianos stopped them before they could get out the door.
”Wait, and listen. I have a plan for revenge.” His words stopped the men in their tracks, buying him at least a few moments before they tried to go again.
”If he lives they will undoubtedly gain knowledge of this location. I say we do not run. Rather, we set a trap of our own.”

Domianos’ plan was quickly agreed upon by the revenge drawn rebels. Within a half hour they were prepared. Another ten men had been recruited for the plan, with the majority helping to ready the trap. It had been something Domianos had seen used years ago, and hoped it would work as well. It was not until another hour past before their hopes were met. Faith soldiers lay in wait outside, surrounding their former safe house from a respectable distance. The marching of boots was not what alerted the awaiting rebels, but rather the silent movement as a rather large, armed group of Flurin soldiers. Domianos counted twenty armed men, and he quickly picked out their leader. He was a small, but stalky man who was giving silent orders through hand gestures. He was ordering half his men to enter through the back, while the rest broke down the front.

Domianos waited in impatient silence as the Flurin soldiers got into position. A single candle burned inside to give the impression the building was occupied. After what seemed like countless hours, but was in fact only mere seconds, the Flurin advanced. The doors at the front and back of the building were kicked down simultaneously as the soldiers rushed in. Within seconds two thirds of the soldier had entered the abandoned building, with the remainder watching the exits for those that would seek escape. With a single wave of his hand, Domianos signaled the men hiding on the neighboring rooftops. Three archers were in position, and had already lit their arrows before the signal was given; sending their flying torches now onto the roof and through the windows. The cries of surprise from those within the building were echoed by the sudden crackling flames that engulfed the inside of the wood planked home. Domianos smiled to himself as he pushed himself up from his hiding place. It had taken a full barrel of oil to soak down the inside of the building, but the agonizing cries from the Flurin soldiers had made it worth the trouble. Shouting a challenge Domianos ran forward toward the soldiers waiting outside. His example quickly followed by his brothers. This time the look of surprise and fear was real, as his steel met theirs. The archers on the roof rained arrows down upon them, though their precision shots were not aimed at the fighting Flurin, but instead at the flame engulfed men that came screaming in anguish from the blaze. Their arrows struck home quickly, silencing the cries in a generous show of mercy. It had been on Domianos’ order that they extend this courtesy. He understood the dying of men; it had been his duty and profession for years, but he also knew mercy for his enemies.

Domianos’ sword clashed against the Flurin Captain’s blade as the man stepped to get around the veteran. Domianos moved to match his enemies step as he parried a quick thrust. The captain came again with a lunge, but instead of using his sword to block the blow Domianos took a step to the side and in. Closing in past his enemy’s guard as the Captain still moved forward in his lunge. Domianos brought his knee up hard into the Commanders stomach before his lunge had completed, doubling the man over. Stepping aside again, Domianos moved behind the Captain in a step, even as the man moved to turn. Without a second of hesitation he brought his blade up with his one good hand and drove it down, running it through the man’s back and out his chest. A cry of surprise and pain escaped the captain’s stunned lips, made louder as Domianos twisted and pulled it free, kicking the man off with the heel of his boot. The Captain fell to the ground squirming and holding his wounded before finally succumbing to rest. The fire still burned behind him, as Domianos stopped to look around. Not an enemy soldier had survived the onslaught, and his men had only received a few superficial wounds. The rebels let out a cheer as they surveyed the carnage before them. Domianos knew these were soldiers, not mere men who had taken arms, and cheered with them; the thrill of the fight still burning in his blood.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby Jasmine_Eclipse » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:06 pm

The three of them made their way out of the medic tent, and stopped outside. The storm had cleared up and the sun was trying to shine through the clouds. They briefly looked around the camp for Warren, but he was no where to be found. Jasmine’s stomach was growling, and the pungent aftertaste of the healing balm remained in her mouth, giving her more of a reason to eat and flush that taste out of her mouth.
”Let’s get something to eat first, I’m starving and can think better on a full stomach” Jasmine smirked, as she started walking towards where the aroma of stew was coming from. Khell obediently followed right behind her, with Jurret protesting a little. The three got in the lineup for their usual bowl of stew with mysterious meat again, which was happily accepted by the hungry fighters. They sat down on the ground off to the side, with Khell sitting right beside Jasmine again. Jurret looked at Jasmine and Khell carefully for a while before speaking up,
”If you don’t mind me asking, how did you two meet each other?” he curiously asked, interested in how the two became so close with each other even as being different races. Jasmine briefly stopped eating and looked over at Khell who sat there silently. Jasmine took that opportunity to speak,
”Well, it was actually by coincidence. We both have been traveling and exploring the world, going no where in particular. We met on the outskirts of Freeport and just so happened to come across each other on our travels. Khell made the initiative by helping me fight some ghastly thieves that thought they could take advantage of me. she smirked, thinking to herself how she loves men’s’ shocked reactions once they find out that she isn’t a helpless woman that she may appear to be. ”Then we have traveled together ever since, and it seems to be that we have to rescue one person or the other all the time.” she winked at Khell, indicating her last rescue of breaking him out of the prison. Khell smiled and nodded his head, ”I will repay you, when you get kidnapped next I’ll heroically come and save the day.” he grinned while Jasmine playfully punched him in the shoulder. The two of them started to fight each other teasingly, when Jurret coughed uncomfortably. They stopped and faced in his direction, with Jasmine slightly turning pink from embarrassment. She looked down and began eating her food again.
””So if you two were outcasts, how did you meet up with the Faith Army? he inquired, appearing to be interested in their involvement with everyone.
”We met up with Vaalic when the dragons first appeared at Freeport. We agreed to help him and the townspeople out and we have been with them ever since. Well, except for a brief moment when the group got split up when the Flurin soldiers found us and sent some of us to prison. Jasmine managed to escape and she met up with the Faith army that was stationed in Freeport, who took her to meet Christopher. Then they broke the rest of us out the prison which leads us to how things are now.” Khell answered, finished his food. Jasmine soon followed suit and so did Jurret. They returned their dishes to the tent and began walking again.
”Let’s look for Warren, he has to be nearby.” Jasmine spoke up, and Jurret nodded. The three of them went in the direction of the forest, where most people go to get away from the camp for some peace. They wondered around outside the tents near some dense trees. Minutes later, they found a man lying down near a small fire by himself. They slowly walked up him from behind as Jurret took the lead, approaching his friend.
””Warren?”
There is little in this life that could be said about all things.
A way to view life: in the height of victory, or in the depths of defeat.
"This too shall pass"
Jasmine_Eclipse
Stablehand

Postby TheSartek » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:26 am

The battle raged for hours. Blood trickled from an open would on his forehead. He had just won a great victory. But for what? He walked down from the grassy hill he stood atop. Bodies littered the ground before him. He could still a few clashes of swords. He lowered his head, thanful it was done. What was done? He brushed off the uncertainty and headed toward his base camp, his officer's would be reporting in. He arrived and through the tent flap open. What? Something wasn't right.......GOBLINS!!

He rode along side a shadowed form. He wasn't sure who it was but he knew he didn't trust him. Or was it her? They were headed towards a town. He pulled his vision from his riding compaion and looked ahead. He could see the buildings of the town clearly now. He had never been here before, yet it seemed so familiar. What was it's name? Free.....

He was atop a vast cliff. So vast, he could not see the bottom. A woman was next to him. He should no her name but couldn't bring it to mine. She seemed flustered as she looked over. He heard noises from behind him. Something important had just happened. The woman was urging him to jump. Yes, they must flee, this was the only way. Without another thought he jumped....WAIT!

Sartek awoke with a start. He knew that was his name because it was engraved on his dagger but nothing else had come to him these past months. He felt a gentle hand on his shoulder, "Are you alright dear?"

"Yes, Mrs. Luhahn. Just a dream."

"Another one of those nitemares?" She always seemed to be there when he awoke from one. Her and Jeb had taken him in when they found him wandering the shores of the near by river. Mrs. Luhahn had stayed by his side as he fought the fever and tended his wounds. Wounds he still didn't know how he got. She cared for him like the son she couldn't have.

The same one he thought. "No, just a dream ma'am. Just a plain old dream." He crawled from his bed and wrapped a cloak around his shoulders. "it's time for me to get to my morning chores anyway." She nodded and left the room as he began to get dressed. he had been helping out with chores around the farm for the past several months. He owed to these kind people who had saved his life. But he knew he must leave soon.

Nothing he had done since regaining his health had helped to restore his memory. It was obvious that the answers he sought about himself would not be found here. he just had to find a way to tell that sweet old lady he leaving.

Later that day, as he came in for lunch, Jeb Luhahn returned from his trip to the store. Jeb suspected his desire to leave. He had even mentioned it to Sartek. But he weakly denied it. He hadn't been able to look Jeb in the eye since. He detested lieing to the man but didn't want to hurt these people unless he had to. "Well, I wasn't able to get everything today. Got two barrels of cider that needed lifting," Jeb was saying. This struck Sartek as odd, Jeb was as strong as any two men in the nearby village. Though he was old and complained of back problems, Sartek had seen him polle a fishing boat halfway onto shore with his bare hands just last week. "So, you up for a little trip Sarty?"

"Sure, anything you need."

"Ok then, be ready before dawn int the morning. You got along day ahead of you." He shot Sartek an odd smile and Sartek merely nodded. If Jeb wanted his, he would give it. Most likely he just wanted to have another talk, to see if he could help Sartek jog anything. Sartek let out a small chuckle as Jeb left, he always enjoyed his talks with the older man, even though nothing was accomplished, Jeb had a great sense of humor and kept him laughing. He returned to his work outside with a smile.

He awoke the next morning, nitemare free thankfully, and dressed quickly. Mr. Luhahn was laready waiting outside for him. "Time a wastin lad" he said with a smile. Sartek noticed a sword in the back of the cart as he climbed in. Odd, he never brings a sword to town. Sartek pulled his eyes away and seated himself as Jeb urged the horses forward. To his surprise, Jeb said nothing as they travelled, he just sat there with a far-off look in his eyes. Sartek wanted to ask what was troubling the man but didn't wanted to disturb a thought Jeb might be having.

The journey continued in silence until they had almost reached the town. They were a few hundred feet away from the first buildings when Jeb abruptly brought the cart to a hault. "It's time lad."

"Time for what?" Sartek was unsure if he had forgotten something he was supposed to do.

"For you to go."

"Go where Jeb? Do you not wish for me to be around anymore?" Sartek was stunned. He knew that one day he would leave but he figured it would of been by his own choosing of the when.

Jeb gave a small laugh. "Of course not. But it's what you want and more to the point what you need. Don't get me wrong, me and the missus would love for you to stay as long as you want. But you can't hid anything from me." he gazed and Sartek intently, "You need to find out who you are and me and Keri are the only thing stopping you from going. If I left it up to her, you wouldn't go, that's why I had you come along today."

"But.." he couldn't think of anything to say. This was what he was longing for. "But what about you and Mrs. Luhahn?"

"Don't worry bout us. We'll be fine." He reached back into the cart and pulled the sword Sartek had seen and a filled backpack out. "Take these, it's a dangerous world out there and something tells me you'll need this." Sartek slowly took the items he was handed. Curiously, he belt already had a loop to hold a sword and from practicing with Jeb he knew that this was one thing he had 'always' been good at. "Oh, by the way..." Jeb reached into his coat pocket and produced a small purse. "Now it ain't much..."

"No, I couldn't" Sartek protested.

"Of course you can. it's a final gift, to help you on your way." Jeb stuffed it into Sartek's hand as tears started to form. "Now get goin, the day ain't gettin any younger."

Sartek climbed down from the cart but paused. "Wait, at least let me help with them barrels before I go. Jeb just smiled and shook his head. Sartek had known there were no barrels but wanted to spend a few more minutes with him. "Tell Mrs. Luhahn thank you for everything. And I'll be back to see her when I find something." jeb nodded and reined the horses on. tears began to fill Sartek's eyes now. He would miss the kindly old couple but Jeb was right. He needed to find himself, no matter where that led.

Well, where to start. He looked as the sun passed overhead. North is as good of direction as any. With grim resolve he set out, not knowing what lie ahead.
~SARTEK~
The noise you heard in the bushes
TheSartek
Peasant

Postby Khellandros » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:03 am

As Jurret approached Warren, Khell slowed his pace, hearing the slight tension in the healer’s voice as he spoke the mages name. Jasmine slowed, matching Khell’s speed. Her eyes lingered a moment on Khell’s slight frown, and she seemed to become aware of his concern. Without saying a word, Khell moved away, urging Jasmine to follow him. The pair did not go far, walking only far enough to leave the two friends alone. Khell could still see Jurret as he sat down beside Warren and began to speak. He knew it would not be difficult to listen in on their conversation if he had wanted, but he offered the two more respect than that. Jasmine seemed confused, not fully understanding Khell’s motive. The elven hunter spoke to answer the question her expression was asking.
”What they have to say does not concern us.” Khell’s answer was taken with little more than a raised eyebrow and a shrug. Even from their distance Khell could see the two friends speaking, their actions becoming more animated with hand motions. It didn’t take much for Khell to understand the two had much to talk about. As it was, Khell had been thinking about what he could do. His injuries had hindered almost every aspect of his life since his rescue, and he was growing restless with his own inactivity. It was not like him to sit idle, and especially not when he felt weak. If anything he had always pushed himself into some action, even if it was against his own best interest. Those thoughts had been running through his mind, just under the level of his awareness. Still, he felt their pull on him.
”Will you walk with me?” Khell asked Jasmine after a few moments of silence. She had seemed almost surprised to hear him speak. Her eyes had been directed at the treetops above them, though her ears had found themselves drifting. Whether it was intentional, or accidental it didn’t stop her from blushing slightly in embarrassment. Khell pretended not to notice.
”What of Jurret and Warren?” She asked, unsure if they would object to their disappearance. Khell merely shrugged, with a slight smile on his lips.
”Sometimes friends need time to talk. They may be some time yet, I don’t think they will mind.” Jasmine offered a slight smile in return and nodded. The two began to walk into the forest moving slowly. Jurret had done miracles in advancing the mending of Khell’s wounds, but it would still be a short time before he would feel himself again. Still, it was a vast improvement from what he had endured earlier. Khell felt more stiff limbed than pain, and could walk more easily now.

As the two walked through the forest they didn’t speak, but just walked side by side. It was a comfortable silence they shared. Khell’s attention was drawn to every tree, and every branch they passed. After a few minutes, Jasmine noticed this and began to watch him more carefully. Finally, once her curiosity got the best of her she spoke up.
”What are you doing? You look like you are studying every tree we pass.” Khell brought his eyes to meet hers, and allowed himself to laugh.
”I am.” He said simply, as they continued to walk. Jasmine, with her curiosity still not settled, pressed again.
”What for?” Khell had been waiting for the question, and slowed to stop beside a large oak tree. He pointed up to the branches hanging down above their heads.
”You see that branch there. It is about as thick as my fist at the base, and tapers off fairly quickly to its end. It is too short for what I need. I am looking for a branch or tree that is at least double that thickness, and long enough to stand from toe to shoulder, keeping a similar thickness the whole length. These are old growth trees, so I am not expecting it to be too difficult to find what I’m looking for.”
”What do you need it for?” Jasmine asked, more than a little confused at his request.
”When we were taken captive, we were stripped of all positions. I’m going to make a new hunting bow to replace the one that was taken from me. Once I feel better I’ll be able to bring down deer or Flurin all the same.” The bitterness was clear in his voice when he spoke the Flurin name, and he made no effort to hide his contempt for his former captors.
”We are camped here with the Faith army. I am sure it would not be any trouble to get a bow from them.” Jasmine reasoned, knowing it would be difficult and time consuming to construct a hunting bow. Khell only shook his head at the suggestion.
”No, this serves two purposes. I will be using the weapon to take life, and by creating it with my own hands I am putting something of myself into it. If it fails me, I can blame no other, and if it aims true there is no other who can claim my prize. It has been a custom taught since I was a child, and I respect the traditions of my elders.” Jasmine looked as though she were about to speak, but then paused. After a moment she finally spoke her thoughts.
”In that case, why are we just standing around. Now I’m interested in seeing what you can do. You will have to explain exactly how it is you go about making a bow. I haven’t the slightest idea where you would even begin.” They both smiled and laughed; the simple act of having something to do raising their spirits.
”Of course. We begin by finding the right wood.” Khell began as they started to walk again. This time Jasmine’s keen eyes were studying the trees as well as listening to what Khell was saying.
Until lions have their historians,
tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
Khellandros
Stablehand

Postby Khellandros » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:04 am

[double post]
Khellandros
Stablehand

Meanwhile, in Freeport

Postby Vaalic » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:39 am

Since the ambush of the Flurin soldiers and the command Domianos had taken, he found his fellow soldiers regarding him differently. Most called him sir, though he had no real title or authority. They had all seen him as he appeared: an old man, easily the age of their father’s father, but since the skirmish they saw him as he used to be. A battle hardened soldier and captain. The respect he was being shown was something he had grown unaccustomed to since his time of service. Still, he accepted the acknowledgement from the men. After the short but bloody battle, the Faith soldiers had all retreated back, making their ways to a number of different safe houses around the city. They broke up into smaller groups to help aid their escape.

No other Flurin soldiers challenged them as they made their way to a small tavern. Domianos didn’t even notice the name above the door before he was pushed through by those trailing behind him. The room was deserted, with the exception of a broad shouldered, bearded man leaning back on his chair against the wall. His eyes were closed, and the slight snores he gave off made a compelling argument suggesting the man was asleep. The four other soldiers with Domianos closed the door behind them. Three men went behind the counter to pull up a small hatch that led to the basement while the third nudged the sleeping man’s chair with his foot to wake him up. Domianos watched as the sleeping man nearly toppled from his seat in a startled awakening. Before long the man who Domianos believed to be the tavern keeper was on his feet. He didn’t say anything as he looked both men over. Their cloths and hands were bloodied from the night’s activities, but the tavern keeper seemed unsurprised.
”Well, down to the cellar with the two of you. Better clear yourself up. A Flurin patrol was already in once tonight to search the place. No telling if they’ll be coming back around.” Domianos nodded, and made his way behind the counter and down the steps to the cellar. By then the other men had since lit a single lantern to shed some light on the table. Blankets were thrown against the far wall, offering a safer place to rest than an unfriendly common room. Domianos seated himself in one of the chairs around the table. Soon all five of them were seated somewhat comfortably in the keg cellar for the tavern. One of the kegs was opened, and they shared a drink over a small toast. A bowl of water was brought down, giving them all a chance to clean the blood from their hands and face. They were in relatively high spirits, as the days victory had gone to them.

Domianos sat back and listened, choosing to say little as the younger men around the table discussed their part in the raid. Domianos smiled, content with his drink as he listened to the reenactments from the other soldier’s point of view. He knew their stories were somewhat exaggerated, though he was used to hearing men speak of their victories in such ways. He enjoyed the re-telling, even the somewhat questionable areas, and all the more that he was amongst soldiers again. This had been a life he had missed. Soon their discussion of one victory went on to others, and the hours rolled past with the ale flowing freely. With the lightheadedness of the ale dulling his senses, Domianos almost forgot where they were. That realization came crashing back when the hatch to the cellar was thrown open.

Startled into action and to their feet, the five men drew their weapons and faced the steps. Hearts pounding heavily in their chests, they waited as two men stepped down into the cellar quickly. Domianos lowered his weapon, seeing these men did not wear the signet of the Flurin, and were not carry naked weapons. The first man down the steps was a tall soldier, who had to lower his head slightly to keep it from scrapping the wood planked roof. It was his companion that Domianos found more interesting. It was a young boy, somewhere in his teens, though his stride was one of light footed confidence. The sharp features of the boy’s face was covered with dirt from travel, and his cloths looked little better. The youth looked over the men standing around, his gaze stopping on Domianos for a long while; long enough for an uncomfortable silence to form. The boy said nothing as he locked onto Domianos. The boy’s piercing stare was not intimidating, but more a mixture of curious and cautious.

”No need for alarm. I’ve just come to share a drink.” The boy said finally. His tall companion studied Domianos, his expression stern. The table they were seated at was large, but could not accommodate so many. One of the men stepped aside immediately, offering his chair to the youth. The young man took the seat and poured himself a drink. Domianos sat down as well, regarding the curious youth from across the table, as the other men found their seats.
”You’re a new face around here. What’s your story?”
The boy asked after taking a drink, his eyes fixed again on Domianos.
”Same as you. I’m just a man having a drink in one of the last free taverns in the city.”
He said with a smile. Even through his light haziness he noticed the uncertain glances the other men were giving one another. He had a thought that all of this was somewhat unusual, but he was unable to place what or why. He knew the place they were at was a Faith safe house, and it was safe to assume this boy was a member of the resistance. Still, there was tenseness in his posture and voice.
”Of course.” The boy said finally, giving a slight smirk at the response. Domianos finished his glass before he put it heavily down on the table.
”The name’s Domianos; former captain of the King’s guard.”
It was then one of Domianos companions spoke up.
”He organized an ambush for the Flurin. They didn’t even know what hit them.” The man spoke with an enthusiasm born of too much drink and excitement. The youth leaned back in his chair and regarded them both with interest.
”Is that so? Tell me about it.”
The boy asked, and when Domianos didn’t speak up immediately, one of the other men began to relate their tale of losing men, then the preparation and execution of the trap they themselves set. The story took until the end of another glass, and Domianos watched the boy’s reaction to the story. He noticed the youth was more interested in what was being said than curiosity would dictate. He also noticed the story was told with fewer embellishments. Once the story was finished they sat in silence for a moment, before the youth finally spoke.
”Well, it would seem I owe you all my thanks. It sounds as though you handled yourselves and the situation admirably.”

”Your thanks?” Domianos asked, more than a little confused at the statement. The youth gave his sly smile again and shrugged.
”Please understand, times have been difficult. I had to know I could trust you, and from the sound of it you are a welcome addition to our cause.”
It was then that the tall man that had accompanied the youth spoke up.
”Introducing his highness, Prince Aramis.”

Domianos looked between the tall soldier and the youth before the information finally set in. The prince merely shrugged again. Notably stunned by the news, Domianos fell to one knee and bowed his head. Of course, he fit the description of the prince, though with the rough clothing and dirty face he hadn’t seen it before. The youth was about the right age, and the obvious respect the others were showing was another indication.
”My prince… I…” Aramis interrupted before the elderly soldier could finish.
”Please, stand up. I may be prince, but I’m not at court. Besides, if everyone bowed every time they seen me I’d be targeted before their knee touched the ground.” Slightly embarrassed and feeling even more light headed, Domianos rose and sat back down.
”So, Domianos, tell me a little about yourself. I have already heard you are a capable fighter, and not afraid to take charge.” The prince asked with genuine interest. Domianos paused a moment, unsure what to say.
”There is little to tell my prince. I was a captain in your grandfather’s army. I lost my hand to bandits and was forced to retire. I have since trained young men to wield a blade, up until my imprisonment by the Flurin. Since my release I have done whatever was necessary to undermine their control on our city.” He said simply, uncomfortable talking about himself to his prince. Aramis raised an eyebrow, but showed little other emotion.
”If you are up to the task I will be counting on your service.” ”Of course. He answered hardly before the prince himself finished speaking.
”Good, then listen closely all of you. I have just returned from our allies outside the wall. We have a course of action to set in motion.” Aramis began as the cups were filled. The preparation for the attack on the mines would require co-operation from the forces within the city as well as those on the outside. It would be a challenge they would raise to meet.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby Killean » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:30 am

Double Post... These things are getting too long.
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Postby Killean » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:32 am

Shadow's thoughts remained silent for a good while, he just paid attention to the path ahead of him. And yet he could not help but wonder, what of Angel? Was she safe? Was she still alive? If only the gods had not cursed him, he thought, she would be safe, she would not have to feel pain. What had ShadowRune done in the past to deserve such a cruel fate dealt by the gods? He sought back into his past trying to find the answer to this very question, but the deeper he crawled, the more his head hurt. The more he hurt, the louder the grieving lament of hell echoed in his ears. The louder the wails, the more he craved for blood to spill.
"No! I mustn’t! I must be in control for Angel's sake! I will no longer be the root of her sorrow." Shadow growled this aloud so that all may hear. Stopping for a brief moment he closed his eyes and willed the pain and sounds of suffering to vanish. They did, in time. Opening his eyes he could see the forest, which was the midway point between Faith Hills and Freeport.
The last thing I want to do is lash out at Angel. If you must think, then think about her, and her only, He thought briefly to regain control of what he was thinking. The image of Angel sitting down in her chair, rocking Kayin to sleep showed in his mind. With a grin of comfort, Shadow began to run once more.
Angel, please be safe. I promise I will protect you one way or another, forever.
Such a feat seemed impossible these days. The only way Shadow could do this was with a plan, but his thoughts and actions are under scrutiny by all of hell. The only saving grace on his side is his instincts, his well trained sense to think without thinking. Any plan he formulated was still uncertain as hell now knew Shadow will do anything to protect Angel. Not even if they dispensed all the pain in the world would he stop.

Angel averted her eyes from Mika, her gut twisted on the spot and felt as though someone struck her. Looking into the eyes of her child she found solace, the pain did not feel as severe.
"I, She stuttered not sure how to proceed. The truth was easy, but it still was painful.
"Are you alright?" Mika questioned unsure of the sudden change in Angel.
"This child you see in my arms is not of Vaalic," She blurted sternly. With wide eyes Mika took one glance at the child, clearly now seeing no resemblance to the Vaalic he knew, he too looked away.
"I'm sorry. I know it is not right to pry, but may I ask what happened?" Finding a weakness in her legs Angel found a place to sit before she looked back to Mika. Over the course of the remaining day and night she told Mika the story of her kidnap, and sudden voyage across the ocean to an unknown land. Vaalic's triumphant victory over the evil in the land, her return home and the Flurin attack.
"In return for the safety of me and my child, I offered to point out any of the rebellion that they show me. Something completely unexpected happened though. ShadowRune. His life has been returned to him, but at a great cost to his soul, and not even by his own free will." Angel paused, words spoken by him only days before rung in her mind, "I never have control. I never have a choice," She spoke softly.
"What is your path Shadow?" She again spoke softly, looking far into the distance. She looked to Mika, her eyes feeling heavy.
"I'm sorry. Can I rest here for tonight?" Angel asked.
"Certainly," Mika replied getting up and moving over to his bed. During this time he had not used it much, and many books were piled on it. Quickly he cleared the bed and offered it to Angel.
"I'm afraid that when I wake, you will be gone, and this pleasant dream will end." Angel held her hand against his cheek after placing Kayin down.
"Mika, this is no dream." And with her soothing words, Mika's eyes drooped, now feeling heavy. Both lied down, Angel next to Kayin on the bed, Mika close to the bed on a blanket on the floor. Before the two drifted away, Angel turned around and looked at Mika over the side of the bed.
"Tomorrow I think we should leave here. You have been isolated for far too long." With her words, and Mika nodding every so slightly, both fell into a blissful slumber almost immediately.

It was early afternoon before Kayin's stirring woke Angel. Barely opening here eyes, she looked at Kayin who was playing with her hair, and smiled.
"Hello you," She whispered and giggled when Kayin threw her hair away. Kayin cooed in answer to her, a one which Angel could tell was leading to a larger fit. Sitting up Angel partially revealed her breast and pulled Kayin to her chest, which he gleefully began feasting on. Because Angel started to move about, Mika breathed in deeply as consciousness was returned to him. Yet he did not open his eyes quite yet.
"Angel?" He called out in a whisper.
"I'm still here," She replied back. Now his eyes opened wide in the direction of her heavenly voice. He wanted to scream "It's not a dream," but knew it to be unnecessary, or in case he was wrong. Angel reflexively moved to an angle so as not to be shown, Mika too averted his body away from her.
"Good morning.” Mika rose to his feet walking over to the fire pit and began to pile logs on to start a fire for cooking. After making the fire he started to rummage around for a clean iron and the rabbits he hunted earlier.
“I’m sorry I don’t have much in the way of food, only some rabbit. I haven’t been out much to hunt, and my last crop was ruined by the fire rain,” Angel placed Kayin down on the bed and placed a hand on Mika’s shoulder, comforting his stress.
“I am more then grateful for anything you can offer. Thank you Mika.”
Mika held her hand for a brief moment and then let go to start preparing the rabbit to be cooked. He remembered then what Angel had said to him before they drifted to sleep, and was curious as to what she had planned.
“So where are we to go today?” The question caught Angel off guard as she was humming a tune to Kayin. She had to think about this one, as a few options might be difficult or impossible. She first thought about returning to the Flurin, but they might end up killing or imprisoning Mika. Another option was to seek out Vaalic, but Mika would want Angel to accompany her, and so long as Vaalic and the rebels were fighting, she did not want to have part in it. The last option would be to have Mika join the resistance in Freeport, but first they would have to get passed the rebels, then the Flurin to achieve this option.
“A while ago some men were scouring the farms for survivors and was urging them to head for the royal palace. Princess Sarah is trying to rebuild Faith Hills.”

It was as good as any plan, to head for the palace and join Sarah. There they would be safe, there they would be away from any fighting. Both finished their meagre portions of meat and rested for a few minutes before they began the journey. Not knowing what to expect and not willing to take a chance, Mika grabbed a small blade he had stored in a box. It had been a while since he had seen it, even longer since he had used it. With it and a few traveling supplies tucked away on his belt, Mika ceremoniously took the first step out of the cabin. With Angel and Kayin close by they began their hour long trip for the capital city.
“When was the last time you saw Vaalic?” Mika asked after a while of silence.
“Three days…” She answered quietly, which surprised Mika wondering why she was not with him to which she replied, “I still love Vaalic, but as long as he fights, and feels repulsed by my child, I have no place by his side.”
Angel began to sob quietly as they walked, Mika’s attempts to comfort her failing. Both remained silent as they journeyed over the slight hills.

Just as they passed an abandoned farm Mika pointed ahead to the horizon, the half destroyed walls of the city finally appeared. Before when they stood tall, most of the farmers surrounding the city could see them from their homes. Now you can barely see them from the distance, and hardly give the hope and sense of protection they used to.
“No… What happened?” Angel gasped at the sight. The last she was here the city was still standing, and the destruction done to it was beyond words.
“Beautiful ain’t it?” A voice came from behind the two. They turned around with a gasp, and saw a young man, his face black with soot and scarred horribly.
“Me an’ d’boys weren’t allowed to stay, so here we are, scourin’ the outskirts like mangy dogs. Ain’t that right Kackio!” He called out to someone behind him, a shadow behind a barn close by waved back. He and two others stepped from out the darkness each brandishing a bow pointed at Angel and Mika. The leader walked closer and pulled out his blade, pointing it at Angel’s child.
“Now hero, I’d suggest you drop your blade, and hand over any food you got before this little lady gets hurt…” Mika slowly move his hands to the scabbard and untied it from his belt.
“Angel!” Came the shout from ShadowRune as he came out from nowhere and charged between the bandits and her, his arms held out wide to try and shield her.
“Make peace with the creator now, for you shall all die for threatening Angel!” Shadow snarled. Angel moved closer behind Shadow and held down his blade as he tried to draw it.
“Shadow, please, no, they are only looking for food,” she said as fast as she could to stop any aggression. Her movement however startled one of the archers, he let one of his arrows loose into Shadows neck, the blood splattering on Angel sent her back on her butt screaming. Mika and Angel both shouted in unison “Shadow!” As quick as he could Shadow removed the arrow and threw it away, everyone wondering what kind of creature this was that can take an arrow to the neck, then calmly remove it and regenerate. The bandits scrambled away at their earliest convenience, Shadow turned around to the shocked faces of Angel and Mika.

“What?” was all they could say for a moment.
“A demon from hell I have been reborn, with it comes power to live, and eternal torture of pain and pointless bloodlust, and can only end with my death and the promise of suffering. So long as I am still among the living, my bloodlust will be for those who would do you harm Angel.” After a moment of hesitation, Angel accepted Shadow’s hands to help her to her feet, then handing Kayin back.
“But, how did you know where I was?” Angel asked.
“The guards outside of your room heard you talking to yourself and that you mentioned Mika’s name. I had no idea if you would really be here, or even where Mika’s cabin was. So I followed the path to the city and I found you.”
“How did you make it here so fast? Freeport is almost a weeks walk away.” Mika asked, retying his sword to his belt.
“Only a day and a half if you run without resting.”
The three began to walk towards the city again.
“So what’s at the city?” Shadow couldn’t help but ask.
“I’ve heard that Princess Sarah has gathered the survivors of Faith Hills and they have begun to rebuild the city.” Mika relayed what he said to Angel to Shadow. Angel looked nervously at Shadow, thinking that he would not let her go. Shadow looked into her eyes and saw the same look she had so many years ago, but this time it pained him to see those eyes. He looked down to the ground, not wanting to look any more.
“Angel… I won’t force you to return to the Flurin. I will not imprison you against your will. If being here is what you wish to do, I will support your decision.” He said, then looked back at her. She peered deep into his and saw his sincerity, she saw a totally different man in there.

They all remained silent until they came to the city entrance. Shadow stopped just as the other two walked past the destroyed gate. Angel then Mika stopped as well and turned around to see Shadow looking around.
“What’s wrong?” Angel asked.
“I will not be welcomed openly here. And that will not help you two in getting entrance.”
“What will you do then?”
“I will stay hidden for a while and make sure you settle in, then I must be off, back to the Flurin. If I am gone for too long Ruakha will panic and doing something stupid, which could be bad for many.”
“Shadow… I…” She stuttered, a little sadness in her voice.
“Angel, you must forget about me. I have cause you so much pain. When I am free from the Flurin I will return and protect you from the shadows, even while you are next to Vaalic.” Shadow said, slowly climbing onto the crippled rooftops, then waiting for Angel and Mika to start moving again. As soon and both looked away from him, Shadow hid himself so the two would stop looking for him and give away his position. Soon enough a few men from the inner city found Angel and Mika. They confiscated Mika’s blade and escorted the two to the main palace. Shadow followed the two as close as he could, a large rebuilt block home a few hundred meters away from the palace wall. There he lied down looking out in the palaces direction, there he would wait for Angel to appear again, so he could see if she was going to be alright here. The remaining day and night passed with no sign of her or Mika. Obviously they were going in to be questioned, and once word got to Serah of her mothers friends they would be welcomed by her. As hard as it was for Shadow these days, he tried to imagine what was happening on the inside. He could see Serah inviting them to a well prepared dinner, than they would travel to the inner garden and sit, talking to each other about what had happened the past while. Then Angel and Mika would be shown to the spare quarters, where they would be treated as royalty. Shadow didn’t know about Mika, but Angel sure as hell deserved such respect and comforts.

The sun had fallen, than it rose in what seemed like a few minutes to Shadow. It was close to high noon before he caught glimpse of Angel, Kayin, Mika, who he could only assume to be Princess Sarah, and a couple armed guards at the palace gates entrance. It was then Shadow thought to himself that she was safe, she was home. Before he left however, he wanted to gain her attention and say goodbye. Slowly and quietly Shadow crept along the rooftops following the small group as they toured the rebuilt parts of the city. When the best opportune time arose Shadow signalled Angel by throwing a small pebble at her back lightly. Angel turned around to see what hit her and saw Shadow standing in an alley. Quickly she looked over at Serah and Mika, they were busy talking to each other, and the guards seem otherwise occupied watching the citizens. She quietly walked over to the alley.
“Your off then?” She spoke softly.
“Yes. I just wanted to say good bye, that I will miss you and Kayin, and I swear I will return to protect both of you as soon as I can.” What Shadow said struck a cord in Angel, and she now realised WHY. Why Shadow came to her, why he would bring his problems to her, why he must have felt solace around her and Kayin. Shadow might not see it, and it took forever for Angel to see it. Shadow was acting like a father, like a husband, protecting his family, always wishing for them to smile. It seemed so clear now to her, thoughts and feelings flooded her rationality as she looked back at Serah and Mika, then back to Shadow.
“I want to go back with you.” She said, stepping into the darkness of the alley.
“Angel, no.” Shadow urged.
“Please! You said you will respect my choice. I want to stay close to the one who said he will protect me and my son.” Shadow gritted his teeth at her stubbornness, and in the end conceded to it.
“Stay close, try to be quiet.” He said and began to lead her through the alleys away from the civilized parts to the edge of the city. Hiding behind part of the broken outer wall, Shadow climbed up and peered over the top to see if anyone was following them. The coast was clear, and he let go of the wall.
“When she went missing I kind of thought you took her.“ Mika was there, and Shadow didn’t even notice him following them.
“I didn’t take her.” Shadow began, “I asked him to take me with him.” Mika stood down from his guard, but was now curious as to why she would do such a thing.
“Shadow has promised to protect me, and I can think of no better place to be than near him.”
“Then we had better be off before any guards see us. We can get the remaining food and water from my cabin to start us off.”
“I don’t need to eat or drink, so will the water last until we reach riverend?”
“It should.” And with that, the three made the journey back to his cabin. There they gathered the remaining rabbits and a few flasks of water for the trip back to Freeport.

The weeklong journey was finished; Angel, Shadow and Mika made it safely to Freeport, and could see it in the distance. The plan was this, Shadow would walk in with Angel by his side, and Mika bound looking like a prisoner. Shadow would escort the two into the city, when it was safe they would untie Mika and let him enter the city, where he would try to find the rebels and join them. Then Angel and Shadow would go back to the castle. Shadow loosely tied Mika’s wrists behind his back and they proceeded into the city. As expected, the guards stopped the three, however hesitantly as they recognized ShadowRune.
“Sir, General Ruakha has been looking for you. Who are these two?” The guard spoke cautiously.
“This is Angel, a privileged prisoner under my guard. This fool is the one who attempted to kidnap her. I am taking him to the dungeon.”
“Prisoners? One of us will help you bring them to the palace.” He commanded and called over one of his fellow men.
“No. I will escort the prisoners alone. I do not need you mortals to hold my hand,” Shadow snarled at the guards advances. The man was taken aback, but he stammered his orders dreading each word he spoke.
“Bu, bu, but, but sir… We we we are under orders to escort prisoners to the jail.” Shadow slowly advanced on the guard, looking straight at his face with a neutral look and bloodthirsty eyes. Naturally the guard wet himself and cried for Shadow not to kill him.
“I won’t kill you, if you forget we were even here…” Shadow said softly, trying to make sure Angel did not hear him. Spinning on his heels he walked back to Angel and Mika and they all continued into the city, with no guards in their wake.

“They fear you so much, alone you could stop them.” Mika was amazed at how easy Shadow made the mans courage buckle.
“I could, but there is a chance Angel will be harmed, and in the end I would end up dead,” Shadow said looking at Angel. Taking a quick look around, the area they traveled to was void of any stares, so Shadow released Mika.
“Mika, if you see him, please tell him, ‘he is in my thoughts and dreams.’”
“And be sure to say hello from me,” Shadow added to Angels comments. They made their quick good-byes and parted ways. With haste Angel and Shadow arrived at the palace. Apparently news traveled quick and Ruakha was standing in front of the palaces giant doors waiting for him. Both could tell right away that he was not the happiest person in the world at the moment.
“Where the hell have you been?!” Ruahka shouted at the top of his lungs. Shadow calmly looked to Angel, “Angel, please return to your chambers, I shall be with you in a while,” to which she nodded and did as she was told, a faint smile on her face. Once she was gone from sight, Shadow charged Ruakha, grabbing his armoured uniform and slamming him against the palace wall, feet dangling.
“I am NOT in the mood to take any of your abuse today Ruakha! So I suggest you remain civil in my presence or you will regret it," Shadow spat in the generals face then released him and turned away.
“There is nothing you can do to harm me Rune!” Ruakha replied, his face turning red and many veins showing from the anger. Shadow snapped around to face Ruakha, a crazed look in his eyes.
“Nothing?! How about I kill all your soldiers? How about I start killing the people in the city under your orders to start a revolt? How about I do the same in other countries and have them join the rebels? Trust me Ruakha, I might not be able to harm you, but I assure you others can!” Ruakha’s breathing climaxed then, and he calmed himself down in a hurry. It was clear that his grasp of Shadow’s leash lessened, and frankly it was frightening to him.

“I have a job for you…” The generals voice was calm and silent as Shadow had requested. Folding his arms, Shadow gave Ruakha a bored look waiting for him to continue.
“We have an informant with the rebels, but we cannot get to him to gain any information he has. I want you to get him someplace safe and find out what you can, then I want you to imprison him as though he has been caught for questioning.”
“Is that all?” Shadow asked, the bored look spreading into his voice. Ruakha nodded his head, “He is going to be in the town square, I want you and a few of my men to harass him. He will fight back, that is when you will take him in.” Ruakha gave Shadow his orders, and in a flash he was gone. Facing one of the soldiers with him he spoke in a very suspicious tone, “I want to know the whereabouts of him at all times.”
“That won’t be a problem sir. After all the rumours of him killing our numbers, we all try to keep each other informed so we can stay as far away from him as possible, or at least to stay out of his way. For the most part, he stays close to the chambers of that woman. He has also been seen in the library and interrupting Lady Vental’s council meetings,” The soldier reported.
“It warned me of Angel… But what is he doing associating with Vental? Ruakha mused. “I want anyone who spots ShadowRune speaking with Vental, and Angel, to report back to me what they speak of.” Saluting General Ruakha, the soldier entered the palace, while Ruakha remained outside, staring off into the distance where Shadow had gone.

Picking up what stray soldiers he could find, Shadow proceeded to the town square. Shadow hadn’t the foggiest what the informant looked like, lucky for him one of the guards he gathered did. Through the heavy crowds on such a beautiful day the guard tapped Shadow on the shoulder and pointed to a group of men who were leaving a small house. Shadow pushed the guards ahead of him urging them to advance. According to the plan laid out by Shadow, one of the guards shouted that the men stop. All did, and turned around to face who had barked the order. Two men in the back as soon as they had seen the Flurin uniforms, turned around and dashed for the alleys. Two of the guards with Shadow immediately ran after them, as the rest including Shadow surrounded the remaining three.
“What do you want? We’ve done nothing wrong!” The informant cried defiantly.
“Our informants have tipped us off that you are part of the rebellion. You will proceed to the palace with us, or you will be killed,” Shadow spoke loudly, clearly, and without remorse.
“You will never take us alive Flurin scum!” The informant shouted, then all three men pushed their way passed the soldiers. Shadow dashed for the informant and dragged him to the ground by his hair.
“I am under orders by Ruakha to gather the required information about the rebels. Speak it now quietly and then attack my groin and escape.”
“The main rebellion forces are planning a full attack and liberation of the slaves of the Censillia mines in two days. I don’t know any numbers, but guarantied to be many,” The man whispered back to Shadow, and then did as he was told. Shadow was hardly phased by the blow but did his best to act like he was in pain. The informant stood up quickly, kicked Shadow in the stomach and ran off into the alleyway. Shadow remained on the ground for a good minute, and slowly got up once the other guards returned, one with a prisoner.
“Where is the prisoner you captured?” The guard shouted, acting angered.
“He assaulted me and got away,” Shadow quietly spoke back.
“Idiot! Get up fool. At least this wasn’t a complete waste of time,” the soldier laughed, slapping the man they captured.

Once Shadow had arrived back at the palace, Ruakha told him to wait in the dining room. He was going to call Vental and the war council together to strategize what to do with the news Shadow had to report. A few minutes had passed, a couple men, the general and Vental entered and sat down.
“Rune, report.” Shadow pushed himself off the wall and began to pace around the giant table.
“Now I am not one to make big speeches, so I will make this brief. For all of you probably have lots to do, and the last thing you need is for someone to avoid the subject at hand. So in as few words as possible, I shall report to you. A dire report to be sure. It just saddens me to have to say it at all.”
“Hurry the hell up Rune!” Ruakha shouted, getting very annoyed with ShadowRune.
“That I will Ruakha. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the rebellions plan… Quite the intelligent plan too. Why it is so smart I’m surprised I didn’t think of it in the first place.” Ruakha growled, standing up in a hurry pushing his chair against the wall.
“That’s it!” The General shouted drawing his long sword from its sheath and hurled the blade across the room straight into ShadowRunes chest. Shadow flew back and just barely missed the wall behind him. Climbing back to his feet, he stared at the sword in his chest, and then back to Ruakha who seemed very pleased with himself at the moment.
“The main rebel forces are planning an all out attack on the Censillia mines. Numbers are unknown but said to be many. The attack happens in two days,” Shadow reported, then pulled Ruakhas sword from him.
“I knew it, they plan to attack the largest mine where there is over a hundred able fighters.”
“Enough to cement their position outside the city,” Vental added.
“We must prepare all the troops we can and protect the mines!” Ruakha pounded his fist on the table demanding action.

“Are you an idiot Ruakha? The moment they see you fort the mines, they will change their target or cancel all together.”
“Rune is right, they probably have scouts all the way from here to the mines. The mine is already sufficiently protected with forty armed men, and two of my sorcerers. With them, and a small group coming from behind blocking the mine entrance, they will be destroyed.” Ruakha scoffed at her and Shadow, pulling the chair up from behind him to sit down again.
“If what you say is true, we can’t send anyone from here to help without being seen. So much for your plan.”
“Her plan will work, if I lead the small group. Before I became what you see today, I was a well known spy and assassin in this land,” Shadow spoke, his a wolfish grin crawling up his face as he leaned on the table at Ruakha. Vental too turned to Ruakha with her eyebrows raised, as if she was saying I told you so. Sighing Ruakha stood up, the rest of the council doing the same.
“Captains, I want you to find five of your units stealthiest men and have them report to ShadowRune. Vental, I want one of your sorcerers to accompany them as well. Rune, I warn you now. Do not kill any of these men, and no tricks either, or I will destroy this stone I swear I will!” Ruakha pulled out Shadows soul stone and held his fist tight on it. The council left the room, leaving Shadow alone.
I eagerly wait for the day you lose that stone Ruakha. I have some of the best tortures straight from hell to apply to you. Just you wait.

Some time had passed and Shadow remained in the dinner room, waiting for the soldiers and the sorcerer to report to him. To his surprise, the first visitor was Vental. She quickly moved close to Shadow and spoke quietly.
“We must be careful. I just got word that Ruakha has ordered his men to keep tabs on your location and what you say. But don’t worry. Once you get back from the mines we will move on him.” Shadow nodded his head, and smiled. “You may rest for the time being ShadowRune,” She spoke in her normal tone, “The sorcerer I have order to you, Falk, will join you tomorrow evening in the courtyard as will the rest of the soldiers. Understand?”
“I understand.” Shadow answered.
“And Rune, remember, no tricks.” After that, she casually walked out of the room. In all this excitement, Shadow had completely forgotten about Angel. Running out of the room as fast he could, and dashed all the way to her room; which oddly enough was not manned at the moment, and gently knocked on the door hoping she wasn’t asleep.
“Angel, may I come in?” He said after he heard noise coming from in the room.
“I was hoping you would have come sooner.” Shadow entered the room, closing the door behind him gently, turning back to Angel with a smile.
“I apologize my dearest, for I was busy insulting Ruakha, planning with Vental, and scouring the city for information on where to find your husband.” Angel had her back to Shadow, as she was rocking Kayin’s cradle. She placed a finger up to her lips motioning for Shadow to be quiet as Kayin was almost asleep. Shadow nodded his head in compliance to her wishes.
“He would not have gone far. All he requires are within these city walls. Whom is Vental?” Shadow as quiet as a soft breeze moved up next to Angel.
“Vental is Ruakha’s second in command. Well, soon to be fully in command. But you never heard it from me,” Shadow said quietly with a wink, very happy when he thought of Ruakha losing power.

“What is there to gain from killing Rhuaka, I would think it easier to control him no?” Both of their faces were close to each other. Close enough that they could feel the others breath so as not to wake Kayin.
“Ruakha does not deserve to live. Besides, Vental has promised me land if the Flurin win, and she has promised me you and Kayin.”
“I don’t understand.”
“Vental said that once Ruakha is finished, she will have no more need for you. Since that is so, I have bargained with her to release you and Kayin as prisoners, and to be placed under my watch for protection.” Her eyes opened to Shadow with curiosity, and intrigue.
“You would do that?” A note of surprise in her voice that did not elude his ears. It was comforting that she believed his willingness to protect her, a little wounding that she was surprised. With a nod of his head, he walked over to a chair next to the bed and placed it behind her. She accepted the chair with a smile, this man next to her providing a troubling yet fond feeling. Indeed she did believe his words of want nothing but her safety. However unlike Vaalic; who always wanted to protect her, ShadowRune knew he could protect her.
“Thank you,” was all she could think of saying.
“Don’t ask me why though. I am still trying to answer that myself, with no luck so far.” Looking away from Angel, Shadow stared down at his feet and yet he was staring beyond that.
“If only that bitch in hell could hear me now, I’m sure she would have a fit of apocalyptic preparations,” Shadow snickered, but it was drenched with doubt and worry. Angel looked to him concerned, her face asking why hell would oppose him.
“The ruler of hell spat me back up for the purpose to kill, not to share my feelings.”
“And what is your bidding? Who is it you were sent to kill?” Shadow looked away from her, ashamed to speak a truth that he did not know to be correct.
“Ruakha has found out that the rebellion plans to attack a mine. I am under his orders to go there and eliminate all who oppose the Flurin.”
“That is Ruakha’s bidding, what is yours?” She him again in a louder tone.
“I was given to the Flurin by hell, to kill any who stand in their way. But I have killed enemy and ally alike, only because I am spawn from hell and thirst for blood. For now, I must do as I am told and designed for, my life forfeit if I resist.” Quietly Shadow pulled the two books about demons out and handed them to Angel.
“And if I die then I can no longer protect you and Kayin. Read these later, they will describe to you a little about what I am.”

Angel took the books from Shadow and placed them on a table next to the crib. There was another thing that bothered her at the moment, regarding this Vental.
“When Ruakha is no longer a concern, can’t Vental use you as he?” Shadow smiled, her concern pleasing to one such as him.
“She cannot under penalty of death. A curse has been placed on us to prevent any treachery, and yet the agreement was such that I could leave her services at any time.”
“And you trust her?”
“With that spell we have no choice but to trust the other. But I’m not worried, neither should you.”
“I understand,” She said with a nod of her head, “that’s my girl,” Shadow said lightly patting her on the shoulder. But just before he was about to stop, a severe pain crawled up his finger tips all the way to his forearm in a second. He retracted his hand from her shoulder and growled with his eyes closed tight.
“What is it? What’s happened?” She said in a panic. She reached out to him, but Shadow withdrew from her. The pain slowly crawled its way into his shoulder, then chest, forcing him to talk tiny short breaths.
“I.. I don’t… know…” The pain suddenly combined all into his back, which arched and sent him straight to the ground writhing in pain. He was growling severely, but he tried to stay as quiet as he could thinking of Kayin.
“Shadow!” Angel rushed out of the chair, getting down to her knees. She softly grabbed Shadows face and tried to move it to face her. “Look into my eyes…” Panic was now lost in her voice. With much difficulty, and with her help, Shadows pain wracked face was guided to hers.
“Good… Now with me… Deep breaths… You can overcome this…” And just like that, the pain had vanished and Shadow felt as though nothing had even happened. With Angel’s help Shadow stood up, a little more then confused. The answer to his confused question came in the reply of the room getting dark, Angel this time was also enveloped by it. Both looked off into one corner as if compelled to, a presence is what they felt and did not want to turn away. A figured robed in a dark red cloak faded into existence.
“We warned you not to continue. This is just a little taste if what she will do. And you know how severe it can get.” Its voice echoed hollowly until it and the darkness just suddenly ceased to be.

Almost in defence Angel backed away from Shadow and picked up Kayin, holding him close rocking back and forth.
“I… I… Can that thing hurt us?”” Clearly Angel was a little more than freaked by what has just occurred. Shadow looked deep into her worried eyes and shook his head.
“They are not interested in harming you or Kayin. I told you why this had happened, I was once again given life to kill, not share feelings. Obviously all of hell is opposed to us getting close.” His head was starting to hurt again, the questions leading to the screams. Hesitantly Angel took a step closer to Shadow.
“There must be a reason. Can they truly hurt you?”
“They cannot kill me, but they can subject me to endless torture. But I won’t let that stop me from protecting you, as long as I can.” Angel moved over to her bed and lied down heavily, Kayin silently wiggled in her arms.
“What did they tell you? Have they done this to you before?” Shadow sat down in the chair and covered his face with his hands. He was trying to keep his cool, trying to will the noise to quiet.
“They have, and they told me I am to stay away from you or I will experience pain beyond that of what I had already experienced…”
Both remained silent, Angel studying Shadows dark lumped shape hidden from the light, even though the setting sun was trying to shine on him.
“Shadow, what happened to you?” An earnest query, one which she wanted to hear the answer but feared what he would describe. All wonder, but none really want to know about hell. Shadow moved his hands down his face slightly, Angel now being able to see the reflection of his night seeing eyes.

“Slowly I watched as the sword of Vaalic left my chest. I felt myself start to fall for the ground, but I never managed to touch it. Everything went dark, I continued to fall. Before realising any change in the scenery, I felt heat. Someone grabbed me, screaming for his protection. A huge creature I had never seen before pulled the man from me. It was then that I noticed my surroundings, a forest, burning, everywhere, burning, and bodies shoved through the charcoal branches. Just like poor souls, the man begging for help, I too was thrust upon the burning trees. When the pain was too much I was again given new surroundings. I was given isolation, and a pain in my head that I had to kill myself again and again to end it from getting worse. It would never end, time after time, death after death.” A rarity to this world, even those of other worlds happened then. A tear welled up in his eyes and fell to the floor, which it began to eat away for a few seconds.
“I cannot comprehend … It sounds horrible… What he described to her was chilling, and she felt it creep around her spine. Shadow now uncovered his entire face and leaned back in the chair staring at Angel.
“After death a million times over, I was finally privy to hell. The stories you may have heard about such a place are true. Ever since the moment I woke up in that burning cavern, my mind has been hearing nothing but screams of torture. Every moment that I am awake, I can feel hate coursing through me. I was only in hell for what seemed like a brief moment before the ruler Karie turned me into this atrocity, and gave me to the Flurin as their pet, their tool. So my soul was ripped from me into a stone, which you will read all about in those books.” Angel looked across the room to the books on the table, then back to Shadow.
“Then in those books in the answer to your freedom.” Shadow turned around and looked at the books as well. His head twitched after a second and he snapped around to face Angel with wide eyes of excitement.
“The answers are not with the books. But, they will be with the one who wrote them.”
“Their writers?” Shadow nodded his head, but then a troubled look crossed it.
“Yes, it was written by a cult of sorcerers long since moved on from Freeport. The only problem is, how do I find them, and would they even be willing to help me.” Shadow returned to the lump he started in, his head back in his hands.

“Obviously they will not free you willingly. Do you have an answer to why they wish to keep us apart? There must be a reason, perhaps something they do not wish to be seen or found?” Angel was beginning to calm down it seemed. She rose from the bed and placed Kayin back in his bed, where he began to drift back to sleep.
“I can’t be certain, but I think it has something to do with the ruler of hell. You have helped me regain part of my humanity, and that is something she does not want to happen to her wonderful creations.” Shadow walked over to the window and looked beyond the city walls. The sun had finally fallen but part of the light given from it was still shining off the waters horizon. Shadow lazily walked over to the door, before he opened it her turned around to Angel.
“Tomorrow evening I head for the mines. If I see him, do you want me to tell Vaalic anything?” It couldn’t be helped, but Shadow looked depressed when he asked her this. Angel picked up on this and hesitated in her response.
“Tell him… what I told Mika. I’m safe and I miss him. Tell him that he is still in my thoughts and dreams,” She said with a somber tone, and just before Shadow left she spoke up again, “Shadow? Will I see you again?” Shadow stops and looks around, and gave her a nod.
“In two days I return. Stay safe until then Angel. Vaalic is not the only one who will miss you, and Kayin.” And with that Shadow calmly left the room. Something was different about this time, he didn’t leave confused. He was thinking clearly right now, the truth lied just a mile up the road; home was just around the next bend.
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Postby Ruakha » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:15 am

A loud pounding on the door roused the General from his almost comatose like sleep. Irritably he rolled over, still half lost in a dream. It wasn’t until the pounding struck again that his eyelids finally opened slowly. Sitting up he pushed off the arm that had been draped over his chest. The young brunette beside him rolled over and went back to sleep. Cursing under his breath at the disturbance, he got up, his feet feeling the chill of the stone floor beneath him. He grumbled his wakefulness loudly enough for the knocking to stop, as he felt around in the dark until he could light the small lantern at his bedside. With light in hand he reached over and picked up a small dagger he had positioned beside it. Slowly, still more than a little disorientated he went to unlock and open the door. Standing on the other side was a young soldier, his face grim. He did not seem to be bothered by the fact that he was waking a general, the most powerful man in the city, in the middle of the night.
”This had better be important. It is not something that could wait until morning?” The general said; his tone than enthusiastic at the disruption.
”It is of some importance General. I have come to you at this late hour for two reasons. The first being we were just given word of an ambush set against several of our men. They were acting on information gained earlier today by the interrogation of a prisoner. It was a trap General. Those sent to raid the location were killed to a man. The cowardly rebels must have taken their dead and wounded with them. We could find no other bodies but our own.”
”A trap? Impossible! That boy was broken. He would not have dared lie to me. Do we know who was responsible for leading the ambush?”
”No General, unfortunately we have been unable to locate any witnesses. The night was not a total loss. We did attack a newly discovered safe house. There seem to me more holes for these rats to hide in appearing daily. We have captured most of the occupants. Only two were killed in the apprehension and we lost none of our own men. The seven survivors are being held for inspection, on your order.”
The General took a deep breath, as the information he was being given battled his sleep clouded mind. He still didn’t understand how an entire band of soldiers could be killed, though the capture of other rebels acted as a small amount of retribution.
”As I see it, we have no leads on the ambush, and the prisoners will still be there in the morning. Just what other justification do you have for drawing me from my bed at this hour? You know my orders regarding new prisoners. Have ShadowRune’s pet woman go identify them, then begin the interrogations. Bring the heads of the slain rebels for her to identify as well. Perhaps she will have made their acquaintance.” Ruakha answered irritably. The soldier cleared his through uncomfortably before responding.
”That is another thing General. The woman, Angel, is not in her room. Both her and her child are nowhere to be found.” Ruakha took a step forward into the hall, closing the door behind him. He wanted to curse ShadowRune, though he knew that was no worse a fate than he had already been given. Still, the disappearance of the woman did not sit well with him, and it was Shadow’s duty to keep an eye on her.
”Find her, and ShadowRune. Send them both to me. If her disappearance is without a legitimate excuse and she has tried to escape us I want her bound in chains and whipped. Perhaps a few scars across her back will convince her these walls are not so bad. As for her so called keeper, I will deal with him. I want no more surprises from those two, now go.” The General said before turning around to go back to his room. He was stopped in mid turn as the soldier again cleared his throat. Turning back, Ruakha saw the man’s eyes looking around nervously. His nervous demeanor far different from the calm he had begun with. Anxious to get back to the comforts of his bed, Ruakha waited impatiently for the man to finish speaking whatever was on his mind.
”There is one more thing, sir…” The soldier looked around again, this time lowering his voice to just above a whisper. Ruakha had to lean in to hear the words.
”Earlier, in the barracks, I heard a few of the men talking.” The soldier stopped, and after a moment of hesitation, continued. ”They were speaking treason. I listened to what I could. There may be some who plan to move against you.” The word treason rang in his ears. Putting his hands on the soldier’s shoulders, the General looked him directly in the eyes.
”Tell me who. How far does this go?” Ruakha’s mouth went dry, and he could feel his heart beginning to race. This new development was one he could not ignore.
”I do not know, sir. I swear it. I could not see who was speaking, though I am sure of what I heard. They didn’t say any names, but I don’t believe any of the common soldiers would be foolish enough to plan something like this without solid leadership.” Ruakha let go of the man, who was even more uncomfortable now.
”I must thank you for coming to me with this. If what you say is the truth a promotion will be in order. Find me the men talking of this. Find whatever you can. I will question them until I know its source.”
”Of course General. I will learn what I can.” The soldier said quickly before saluting and making a hasty departure. Now alone in the hall the General went back to his room and found his bed. The night was still long and he needed his rest. The morning would bring more problems than he cared to think about; this talk of treason being his top priority. He had no other choice but to find out who was involved. He knew that solider was right; the common soldiers would not dare attempt anything without leadership. The question then became, who was organizing them against him. He knew it would not be a Faith leader. His soldiers were better trained than that. Lying in his bed, these thoughts raced through his mind. If a faction of his soldiers were to turn against him it would be with a Flurin officer. That meant someone already in the General’s confidences. He knew there would still be those loyal to him, and those that were unaware of what was going on, but he could not be sure who to trust.
Ruakha
Stablehand

Postby Ruakha » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:48 pm

General Ruakha did not sleep well that night. With thoughts of treason on his mind he found himself stirring at every sound, and jumping at imaginary figures in the shadows. The morning came none too soon, and when the General finally rose, his eyes were bloodshot and his head was heavy. Still, he had little choice but to go on with the day. His first action involved finding men he knew he could trust to protect him. He refused to fall by the hand of some would-be assassin. This feat proved to be more difficult than he had first thought. How could he really trust anyone, knowing there were those conspiring against him. He spent the first hours of the morning contemplating this problem. In his conclusion, he could find no one that he trusted unconditionally. In the end he decided it best to remain with his current guards. They had been hand picked, and had served him well thus far. He would have to just watch their actions more closely. He was guarded around the clock now, never having less than two guards with him at any one time. Even now, four men stood outside his door, preventing any unexpected entrances.

Reports were written and given to the General to inform him of the past night’s events. It was relatively calm. Two prisoners had died throughout the night, and another had found a way to kill himself in his cell. It was no matter. That was merely three less he would have to feed. As he was scanning the morning reports, a knock came from the door. Sitting up a little straighter in his seat he reached for the hand crossbow he now kept stationed under his desk. It would only shoot once, but he would still have his sword after that. He made a mental note to brush up on his fencing skills. So much time spent in office reading reports and memos, he rarely had the time to get to the field. The knock came again, only this time the General called for them to enter.

One of his guards opened the door, clearing his throat before he spoke.
“General. Master Lenox requests an audience.” Ruakha waved his consent. Lenox was one of his most useful assets, and the General had no intention of turning him away. Lenox stepped through the door, his tall frame wrapped by comfortable robes. He looked more the scholar today.
“You may leave us.” Ruakha said to the guard, who saluted and closed the door behind him. The General knew his guards were within a few moments of him, and that put him at ease.
“What can I do for you?” The General asked, his hand still holding the crossbow beneath the table. Lenox moved forward slowly, coming to stand a short distance from the General’s desk. Not close enough to reach, but close enough to see every nuance of his movements.
“I have excellent news to report.” Lenox said, his voice even and calm. The General’s eyebrow’s raised.
“You have found the Faith camp?” Ruakha could hardly contain his anticipation. Lenox let a moment pass, seeing every second pull at the General’s patience.
“I would say even more fortunate.”
“The Queen then. You must have finally captured her.” Ruakha concluded with a smug grin. Again, Lenox waited a moment before answering.
“The Queen has not yet been found. I have come to report that Teodor has been returned safely to us.” The General hesitated, his expression confused.
“Teodor? It was reported that he was killed in a Faith ambush.”
“He is alive.” Lenox answered factually. The General knew Lenox had made this report out of obligation, but he couldn’t help but see something else veiled in his words.
“This is excellent news! He is a worthy knight. Is he in good health?”
“He suffered a wound in the ambush, but it was treated and he is otherwise in high spirits. ” The General smiled, though he didn’t feel the slightest pleasure. He had thought Teodor gone, leaving the general to manipulate Lenox whenever he could. It was a difficult task when the two were together.
“I will offer him my congratulations at surviving his ordeal. I am looking forward to hearing his report.”
“There is no need. His report will be written and given to you. He will not be following any more fools errands.” This comment gave the general pause, but only long enough for him to piece the words of his response together.
“His team was ambushed doing routine surveillance of our perimeter. It was no fools errand. He did his duty and served his country. He is a soldier and will go where his orders take him.” The General was growing angry at the insult and Lenox persisted.
“That is where you are mistaken. Teodor is not a soldier. He is a knight. His skills are wasted doing petty tasks for you, and they nearly got him killed. I did not come here just to tell you he returned. I am here to tell you that you will no longer have sway over him. He and I will not be separated again.”
“Do not presume you can state orders to me! You take my orders, and you will do them without question. Is that clear?” The General shouted, causing his guards to enter the room to see what had happened. Lenox did not flinch.
“I am telling you fact, not orders. Teodor will not undertake any mission of yours without me present. We will continue to work for the greater good of the Flurin, but do not cross us. ” Lenox did not wait for Ruakha to respond, and for a moment Ruakha didn’t know what to say. Lenox left the room quietly, the guards moving out of his way before he passed. Ruakha knew he could certainly charge both Teodor and Lenox for treason on this matter. But then he would have to justify the loss of his most valuable asset to his superiors. That was something he knew he could not yet afford. Furious, the General knew he could do nothing.
Ruakha
Stablehand

Postby Jake » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 am

----------------------------------- Kitiara ----------------------------------------

Kit had been wandering around the camp, she didnt really know these people she had been gone so long, there were so many new faces. She had accused the dragon of trying to kill the queen. The dragon who now seemed to be fighting just as hard for the rebellion as anyone else.

Kit had left the group tired of just tagging along or so it seemed from time to time. She needed some clarity of mind to gain the knowledge needed to help her in these times. What had she really accomplished after being away so long? A few new spells? And what good is that if Jake was still running to her rescue or anyone of the others for that matter. She felt such a burden on everyone else it was becoming hard to deal with.
And now with a new elven healer joining the camp she felt even less needed with what she had to give. At the prison brake she had just followed along, making the others do all the real work, she was an expert archor, and yet they relied on one who had never shot a bow before to signal the dragon.

What was she doing here, she asked her self. Was she really helping or just getting in the way? Just another helpless fool that had to be protected ...

"KNOCK IT OFF!! GET OVER YOURSELF." A voice cut into her thought process, and it was her own. Always second guessing herself and afraid to jump in, afraid she was not as good as everyone else. As Kit began pulling herself out of her self pitty and once again gained composure. It was now that she reliaed she had not seen Jake since before the prision break. Her contact with anyone apart from who she returned with was very little if any at all.

So now with a somewhat renewed resolution she set out to find Jake and see how he faired after such a dangerous plan. She didn't even know if he was injured or not. She rushed off in a hasty search to find him.

Sitting by a slow burning fire slumped over was Jake. A women and a few little ones were standing there near by but made their way in another direct away from Jake to leave him be for some reason. Kit raced over to him, stepping right up behind him. But strangly enough he did not budge nor turn to see who it was. Was he asleep?

"Jake...?" reaching out for him with more then just her fingertips only to find Jake was lost in his thoughts. She could sence something was wrong, bothering him.

As she came closer she realised he was sleeping. Her hand touched his sholder. Kit then took quick notice of the small muscles in his jaw tightening. She stepped back. Something was wrong, and she had a feeling that he was dreaming of past events as he has done before with some what frightening results. Surprising him in such a state could even be dangerous right now. She walked around him to look over him.
A gripped hand over a stab wound in his side was a dead give away that he was in pain and probably running a fever. For this she knew she had use. She would use her powers to heal him and discover what troubles his mind within those dreams of his.

Reaching out her hand she touched his shoulder, Jake jumped slightly but did not waken. Kit began chanting calling up her healing powers and even some she did not know of without any idea as to how. Kit felt his pain easing and within a few minutes Jake was healed. But that was just the phsyical. She could sence his fear, she could feel his past again eating away at him.

Jake's eyes opened to see her. A tired face recalling the true reality around him. His eye shifted to her arm and finally her hand on his sholder. He nodded in thanks but Kit was not through just yet. There was still pain within him and it was this pain she wished to heal as well. Her hand lifted to his cheek, her fingers curling around his pointed ear. Jake rested his head in her palm for a brief moment. But then he realised what she was doing.

Jake pulled back, She had an idea that he would. He tried to break free of her touch, but couldn't or maybe wouldnt? Kit held tightly, Jake might be afraid but Kit was ready for it. She had to help him learn how to deal with his proablems and be able to move on one day. Kit could tell that a lot had been happening in his mind as of late. He wasn't just dreaming these things up it was memories. His past that seemed to twist around the one known only as the Dark One.

But what would be making all of this trouble him, why now of all times? Was it the contact in battle or someones death? Kit was determined to not only make him deal with his past but let her help him in the process. Because if he kept running from it, it would always be a weakness and always be there hunting him where ever he may roam.

Kit embraced Jake forcing him to share the visions with her, forcing his hand, while admittently what was hiding inside this man was terrifying to her, she knew he needed her. He needed someone to share this with, as long as Jake felt he was alone in this, he would never overcome it.

------------------------------------ Jake ------------------------------------------

Kitiara's embrace calmed his mind and feelings which clouded him so. Jake would not reach with himself as to why he was having such dreams and illusions. Jake had put his past behind him long ago. But now, now of all times he is haunted more and more. Is it because he is going to Terra's Edge to seek council with Dark One once more? Or is it something else? Kitiara pulled her self in close to him, focus and calm, focus and calm.

She entered his mind, willing to see what he had seen, what he had done. So many lives wasted and for what.

"No I dont want you doing that, not now I am sorry but please not now."

"Let go Jake, I want to see. You should not be alone. I want to share your pain for you can not carry it alone that much is clear."

"You dont know what you ask of me....."

"I ask it of you Jake for you and for my self."

"Please dont..."

"Sleep..........................."

Lifting his face fro the mud, spitting the dirt and blood from his lips. Jake was in shock as to what had just happened.

"How could you do this to me, now of all times! You are the only one to which I trust with a full heart and to say that you are leaving. That you have had enough of my blood lust and evil. Enough of my vengence. A vengence which you shared whole heartedly as much as myself not so long ago."

The pain in his face was but a pin prick compared to the words he listened to. Jake stood and turned to Dark One.

"You have killed hundreds maybe thousands of these people. Yes I wanted them dead and yes I felt the pain and sorrow our kingdom has suffered because of these people. But where does it end. There are very few warriors left to fight Dark One. How many innocent lives do we destroy before we truely archive your goal."

"Innocent! Did they worry about innocent people when they cut down farmers and their childern in the fields, did that care about the innocent when that took my family. They marched to the marry tune of hell demon and drank the blood of brave men and women to toast their grand victory and to the lose of their poor master. They didn't seem to stop and think about what was enough and where it should end when they nailed me to a wall and run me through with this very sword!"
Dark One waved the black blade around and pointed it at Jake.

"You gave your word and pledged you life to hunting these scum down do such a thing shall never happen again. You own me your life time and time again. And yet you call me evil and unjust. Well perhaps I am evil, perhaps I have become what I seeked to rid this world of. But at least stand by my word. And what can you do, you run around with flowers and love letters when there is a war going on. I've seen you! Trying to clean off the guts from your armor that has left you stained the night before and trying to look your best for that women. It is probably her who has turn you against me."

"I'd rather follow that women to the ends of this earth then to follow you into the hells of the next. I dont know you any more. You are but a empty shell trying to fill it self again with something that will never be enough. You are a war monger in a fight against a army that does not exsist any more. you are a fool with blood on his lips like wine and drunk from it."

The rage in Dark One's eyes lit to a flame so bright that his loyal men at arms began to clear room. Dark One reached up and pulled the cloth shroud from his face to reveal his deeply scar textured features.

"Go back to your whore!"

Jake had had enough."Go back to your fools war and die with the scum where you belong oh great ruler, Surrac of Terra!." And with that Jakes hair turned white and his eyes black.

Dark One drew his sword and leaped forward into a charge boots sinking deeply in the mud weighted down by heavy armor and leather bands.

Jake reached out his hand and used his power to snatch a sword from anothers grip and began his own way towards the one he once called friend or even brother.

Frozen in time and space this whole scene was stopped. Kitiara stepped into view, the mud rising up between her toes. Walking in between the statues of time. Walking around each man looking at their expression frozen on their face like a finely carved stone.

Kitiara walked to Jake who was in full stride his sword raised high above his head and his teeth bared for all to see. This was a turning point in his life and through all the hate and anger Kitiara could see that although Jake took up the sword to fight Dark One the fear was there. Jake was afraid, he was frightened beyond all reason....
Kitiara wrapped her arms around his armored body.

"I thought you never used armor" She said into his ear.

"Nor chose to use a weapon in combat"

"What are you really afraid of Jake............"

------------------------------------ Kitiara ---------------------------------------

Jake fought to pull away from her gripping mind but was locked in space and time. A still moment in a ages past. A moment that he wish to forget like so many others.

She felt his sadness and knew he did not want her to see him as he once was so long ago.
Running her hand over the thick breast plat and leather straps and iron pins her wonder became even more drawn. Kit had never seen Jake dressed in such a manor. Never in armor and never with sword in hand let alone running into battle with a lone opponent. He has never done so in the years she has know him during some of the bloodest and hard times Faith has ever seen.
Yet here is a man who saids he never wares armor nor swings a weapon of any kind in battle standing here in full flight racing across a wet horrid landscape calling a battle cry with sword over head and armor plating or all sorts tied around him as if it were his own skin.
Looking now opon his face she did. On a twisted and distorted face. A face not of anger or self control as she has seen him time and time again but of a new expersion.

Fear.... Fear in the face of his enemy. She turned to see what he once seen. What was he afraid of?

"GET OUT WOMAN, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!"

Angrily he shouted in his mind, but this time she was not scared of him nor his past. Kit could see it and now feel it. Jake wasn't angry, he was scared. Scared almost to the point of phsyical and mental paralysis.

" Jake let me help you. Let me know."

Suddenly the scene began to change and movement within it became motion to its fullest. Jake's body passed through Kit as the memory unfolded. Kit watched on. She watched as his hair turned white. She watched as he darted from side to side, his heavy boot sucking pockets of mud up with ever bound. And then as the climax resulted she was drawn in. Thrown into his shoes.

She saw what he saw in those final moments. Kitiata had never raged into a battle field before in such a manor. Of those breif moment she was him.
The same feeling she had when he gave her his powers on the floating island. Kit felt his every impulse, his ever movement. The strain on his body was now hers. She was scared but not of her doing oh no. She was scared because he was.
The climax had began.
She swung that sword as though it were her own. She felt so much power in her viens that the very droplets of rain that fell on her in that moment would hiss befor even touching her skin. She was Jake and Jake was she.

Kitiara saw it now. There it was. She was in the depth of a grand fight. She was doing it all but was doing nothing at the same time. She was seeing and feeling what Jake did in his fight. His feelings and his pain.
But even though a brillant and exotic duel was playing out before all her sences she hadn't taken the time to notice such happenings at all. Kit had looked into and through Jake's eyes and was locked into that very same moment when all this happened so long ago. She was locked now on the eyes of the opponent. Locked on what she was feeling from this being. The fight had come to an end suddenly before a conclusion. Kit and Jake were broken back into reality. Back to the small camp fire.

There eyes fixed to each other. Kit continued to plead with Jake, he was attemting to get away, but her hold on him was firm, and she knew deep down, that he did not want to get away, even though he would never admit to it consciously he needed to open up, he needed to confront and he needed to forgive himself.

Kit drew Jake closer, thier faces almost touching, she could feel him begin to calm down. The anger and the fear slowly melting away, "I forgive you Jake, in the names of all who can not speak, I forgive you. .....

And so does she..."

Instantly he pulled away, the look on his face was instant betrayl, stroking him gently Kit brought him back to her, back to the now.
" This man you call Dark One, he may have forgiven you, those were hard times back then. You were both wraped up in the bloodlust of revenge. But it was you who was able to pull away to see that it had gone too far. If this man is all that you believe him to be, this noble comrad you would follow anywhere, then by now he too will have stopped. And if he has not and is still driven by his lust for revenge then there is nothing you can do about it. He is the man who you seek to meet on your coming jouney I know this now. I wish you to be careful as you approach but I, nor no one else apart from yourself can prepare you for what you are to encounter. And what ever may come of this, I will be there at your side, I will be with you."

Kit watched as Jake's body language had changed, he had closed his eyes, and was curled in her arms just listening to her voice.
It was now that she heard something in the distance out side them both. Looking up Kit realized how strange this must have looked, for while they had been sharing their own kind of comunication she was realizing not hardly a word had been spoken. It had all happened between their minds and anyone watching would simply have seen the two staring at each other continuously not saying anything.

Kit lilstened harder to see if they actually were being watched, she felt Jake flinch and realized that he too must have heard what she had. For a moment they both sat up and listened and watched their surroundings. The camp and the woods, Kit had determined that no one was watching them at all. Which in some ways was a relief. Suddenly Jake started to speak

"Kit I.. I ..."

"shhhh...."

Putting her finger to his lips, Jake's mood had changed, his lips felt so soft... yet firm, so different from the hard exterior he tried to portray, and so different from the frightened man hiding from his past and dreams. He was inviting her, bringing her into him once again.....

The fire stirred anew, feeding off of thier energy..... Jake kissed her and they both sat there by the fire saving the moment for as long as they could knowing full well that it was soon to end and Jake would have to leave her and they both would have to fend for their own.

"Jake!!" a voice called out loudly from behind them...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Double post... though it was invisible until I posted again. hmm.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 pm

The night had begun to grow cold while most of the camp slept in their tents. There was only a small number still awake, and these were the soldiers needed to watch over the camp. The threat of an attack at night was hardly a possibility, but it was still a concern. It was nearly impossible to see anything in the forest after dark for both Faith and Flurin soldiers alike. There was only a limited amount of light permitted within the camp, making it difficult to detect from the skies. It was at this late hour, well past the zenith of the moon that the small group gathered. They had gone to considerable trouble to keep this meeting a secret from the rest of the camp. Dravven held the only torch amongst the group, lightly illuminating their features. Christopher held the reigns of two fully stocked horses, equipped well for the long journey. Vaalic stood quietly around the circle, with Somber to his right and Kitiara to his left. Jake had just arrived, coming to stand beside Kitiara.

It was time now for Jake and Somber to depart for the Flurin lands. It was difficult to say what they could accomplish, but traveling as a pair they hoped to be virtually undetectable. Somber had taken to a disguise for their journey. With the aid of Angel, Somber’s description was common knowledge to the Flurin. As an attempt to counteract this threat, Somber had taken the form of a commoner late into pregnancy. With any luck this change to her physical being would detract from her otherwise noteworthy appearance. Jake’s appearance was relatively unchanged, remaining dressed as a traveler. It would be a long journey for the both of them, and Vaalic hoped to see them both return safely. He planned to do everything he could to ensure they had a home to return to. Though, if the Faith soldiers were unable to hold the Flurin off, he was glad to know Somber would not be here to see it. Now that all six of them had arrived, they were prepared to get underway.

”I have packed everything I think you will need. There is enough food packed on the horses to last you a good while and I have left some money in one of the saddle bags. It should more than cover your trip over sea, with enough to keep you going once you get there.” Christopher said, tightening his grip on the reigns.
”Thank you, I know it will be put to good use.” Somber answered, stretching her back uncomfortably. ”This sack’s going to take some getting used to. It is definitely heavy enough.” She said, rubbing her pregnant belly. Dravven had been the one to construct the apparatus she wore, and though it was little more than a stuffed sack with straps slung over her shoulders and around her waist, it looked believable.
”Well, this way you won’t forget about it. Besides, you will only have to wear it until you cross the sea. They would never look for you in their lands. This is only meant to keep you safe until then.” Dravven answered with a reassuring smile, which Somber returned.

Even as Dravven answered Somber’s comments, Jake and Kit were talking to one another, their tone quiet. Vaalic could not make out what they were saying, and gave them the respect of privacy for their conversation. After a moment, Jake turned away from Kitiara and looked over the rest of the group.

The preparations had been made and they were ready to begin their travels. Jake took the reigns from Christopher, as Vaalic turned to Somber. Reaching behind him, he pulled out the Flurin signet Aramis had given him. Somber looked at it questioningly.
”What’s this?” She asked as she took it and turned it over in her hand, examining it.
”Aramis gave it to me. He wanted you to have it. It’s the Flurin General’s signet seal. He thought it might be useful within the Flurin boarder.” Somber didn’t say anything in response, but nodded. She held on to the seal, and looked back to Vaalic. He hesitated a moment, on the verge of speaking, but clearly pausing
”Come back safe, and try not to draw much attention to yourself. I’d rather see you back in one piece, than have you overthrow an empire.” He said, trying to smile. He still had reservations about her leaving, but she was determined and would not be swayed. She returned his smile, and wrapped her arms around him, giving him a tight hug; pushing her new belly into him. She did not let go, but spoke in his ear.
”I will do whatever I must, but I fully intent to return. I love this land and the people here too much to be separated for long. I fear that if I do not go, it could be lost to me and all of us.” Her voice was above a whisper, and he held her tighter.
”I will miss you.” He said, his voice low. Slowly they released one another, Somber still smiling. Her eyes were brimmed with tears, though she held them back. “And I you. Be safe Vaalic.” She said before pulling away. Slowly she moved to stand beside Jake, taking one of the reigns. Dravven came forward to say his goodbyes to her while Vaalic moved up to stand in front of Jake.
”Good luck. I know you’ll make your presence felt. They won’t see you coming. Just remember this isn’t a one way trip.” Vaalic said, shaking Jake’s hand. Jake’s grip tightened, as he gave a sly smile.
”I’m not that easy to stop. You just make sure you do your part here.” Jake answered.

Within a few brief moments all the goodbyes had been said, and Jake and Somber began walking their mounts through the forest. Dravven had since taken out a fresh torch to light for the pair, keeping the original one for himself. They watched in silence as the two travelers were quickly lost to the midnight of the woods. Once they were gone, Christopher spoke quietly.
”May the gods go with them.” He said as he watched them go. Several moments of silence passed without a word spoken, or any motion to leave. Finally, Christopher turned to the others. ”We have preparations to make. Our attack on the mine is our current priority. It will also be difficult to explain Queen Somber’s disappearance. It will be noticed by the soldiers.”
”As I see it, our options are somewhat limited. We could tell them she has gone to raise support. This could raise morale, but it will also raise questions. Questions we cannot answer, or at least not forever. The other option is to keep up appearances. Keep her tent up and guarded, as though she were still here. If the guards are men we can trust, this could last. It would keep life around here relatively normal, but if it is discovered that she is not here we will find ourselves facing more difficult questions.” Vaalic concluded, looking between the others for their opinions. It was Dravven than answered after some thought.
”I think we need a decoy. Someone to look and dress as Somber does. It won’t fool the troops up close, but at a distance it should instill everyone with assurance. There is also another reason to do this. Whoever we have to act as a double, may have to remain in her role, even if the camp is occupied by the Flurin.”
The others considered the option, and it was Christopher that made the response.
”We could alter her attire slightly. Perhaps give the double a veil to wear. This does concern me however. If our decoy is taken by the Flurin, there is no telling what they will do to her. It will be a great risk for whoever takes on this task. Still, of our available options it does seem to be a more convincing idea. We can keep an eye out for potential doubles, but we should keep in mind the risk we will be imposing on her.” Christopher said, looking between the others gathered in the torch light.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby Killean » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:15 pm

“Warren?” Jurret nervously approached Warren who was sitting in his usual spot staring at the fire. Warren plucked the pipe from his mouth and exhaled the smoke which danced in place. Turning around he watched as Jasmine and Khellandros left Jurret standing alone to speak. Jurret too looked behind him to see their friends walked away, than looking back to Warren.
“You wanted something?”
“I’m glad to see your more rested now.” Warren stood up from his log and placed his pipe away.
“I’ve been awake since you entered the tent last.” In response to Jurret, Warren shook his head.
“You won’t be of any help if you don’t sleep.” Warren turned away from Jurret and continued, “I know you don’t want to hear it any more… But…” Warren turned around to face Jurret, he noticed that Jurret was smiling.
“Thank you Warren for your concern, I truly appreciate it. The truth is that I have been like this my entire life. I only need to sleep every so often, or until I use all my strength healing the wounded.” Warren offered the log next to his for Jurret to sit, which he accepted and the two sat down.
“Why do that to yourself?” This was the first sign of emotion, as far as Jurret is concerned, that has shown in this mans voice and face.
“I don’t like to sleep much. You might understand this from some of the nights during our travel south.” Warren murmured with understanding.

An awkward silence slipped in as they watched the fire, and Warren begun to wonder what it is that could be causing this man much fear to sleep. Of course he didn’t want to pry too far into Jurret’s life, it wouldn’t be right he felt. Briefly Warren looked a little to the left to see Jurret still peering into the fire. He didn’t want to say anything, waiting for Jurret to pick it up again. It took a few moments, but sure enough Jurret did.
“Anyways, what did you need?”
“Ah, yes, the request I had for you. With all things considered here, I may soon be ordered to fight sword to sword. I had hoped you and I could train a little.” Jurret was taken aback by Warren’s request. Such a simple thing caused him to leave so suddenly when he saw that Jurret was not alone. Just before Warren got embarrassed Jurret nodded his head.
“Of course Warren, but you could have always asked to join one of the many, I’m sure, training regimens around camp.”
“I am aware of this. However you and I are one and the same, wielder of arcane knowledge which surpasses our simple combat expertise. You are the only other one here who understands how we fight.” This was the way he trained in the caster academy, which did not join forces with the royal guard. They however had to train to work around the battle casters, but stay out of the damage control.
“I understand. Unfortunately here we don’t have two separate forces. You and I need to learn how to fight cohesively with those we plan to cast around, which is one of the most important lessons I learned in the academy.” Warren saw the logic in Jurret’s argument, to which he agreed with a brief nod.
“However I think that you and I should team up and try not to separate unless necessary.”

Before Warren and Jurret decided to find a group to train with they were going to get something to eat. Again they were given a bowl with meager portions of rabbit, and Warren was beginning to wonder if they had anything else. Regardless of the meal choice, the two sat down near a fire and tried to enjoy. As Warren slowly dug in, Jurret stared into the bowl and played with the meat. He was actually straining his ears to listen in on a conversation of Vaalic and Dravven as they walked by, something caught his attention.
“… train with you while in your Dragon form. I think it would help us a lot.”
“I don’t think it’s necessary though. Besides what if Lenox is scouting the area and he sees a disturbance in the woods.”
“That’s why we train a few days outside of the camp.”
“And what if he does attack? Being on the ground he can easily pin me, and we will lose a fairly large contingent of soldiers.”
“If we can train with you, then…” Their conversation could not be heard beyond that. Looking over to Warren, Jurret noticed that he was looking at him with a quizzical look on his face.
“Eavesdropping now are we?” Jurret’s face turned a bright red and he shook his head, denying his actions, and looked away. Warren hummed ‘Uh huh’ with an eyebrow raised, but looked away to end Jurret’s unease.
“Dravven has been acting a little strange lately… Wouldn’t you agree?” Warren held the bowl up to his mouth and finished off the last of the broth. When he finished he asked Jurret to repeat his question, to which he did.
“Perhaps. But than again you and I haven’t known Dravven for very long.”

Just a moment before Jurret was going to argue the point, a shadow covered the two in the shape of Commander Christopher.
“Gentlemen, hello, I’ve been looking for you. Please, would you walk with me for a moment?” Chris motioned with his hand that he would really like to talk with us on the move.
“Yes sir.” Jurret got up, his face stern as a royal guard. Warren stood as well but at a leisurely pace, as a magic caster would. They began to walk once the two placed the bowls with the other dirty ones. Christopher was silent for a moment, making sure they were away from the cooking fires.
“I would first like to start off by saying that I, and the people of Faith, are forever thankful for your services. As of now the.. escorts.. I assigned to you will be called off. Both of you have proven yourselves to be true to our cause.” Warren’s brow raised as if to say ‘at last’. Jurret returned a brief nod and a smile.
“It is I who must thank you and the people of Faith for the honor and privilege to help protect that which we hold dear.” With the pleasantries out of the way, Christopher was now free to give Jurret and Warren their orders.
“Yes. We are planning an assault on a location which holds several prisoners which can help our cause. The officer in charge has requested that you join their team Jurret. Your expertise with the healing arts can benefit the team greatly.” Warren interjected, “And my purpose?”
“I apologize. Although you were not personally requested, I would like you to join Jurret as you two seem to have a rapport that should not be diminished.” Warren briefly nodded in response, his words from before stand true.
“Vaalic would like both of you to visit him soon by the operations tent. He has a few things to discuss with you Jurret before they leave for training.”
“Yes sir. Thank you.” Jurret saluted the commander, and they parted ways. He then turned to Warren with a big smile on his face, pleased that they didn’t have to look for a group to join. Warren rolled his eyes and began the trek to the opposite side of the camp with Jurret next to him. The two saw Vaalic conversing with a soldier just outside the tent. Vaalic noticed Jurret and gave him a short wave and motioned with his finger to come over. Increasing his speed Jurret marched up to Vaalic and stood at attention waiting for his conversation to finish. When the soldier left, Jurret saluted Vaalic, who immediately looked uncomfortable with the fact that Jurret was doing so sternly. Warren shook his head, a little embarrassed for both of them.
“Something’s crawling on your back.” Warren whispered this to Jurret as he passed a little ahead and stopped, looking at Vaalic. Jurret put his hand down and tried to look over his shoulder but couldn’t see anything. He stretched a little harder, even as to start spinning around. Warren began to rub his beard, a smirk crossing his face. Vaalic was a little confused, first because of the salute, now because Jurret was spinning around in circles trying to look at, and brush his back.

“Did I get it?!” Jurret sounded worried as he showed his back to Warren. He chuckled and shook his head in response.
“There was nothing ever there.” He continued to chuckle. Jurret was smiling, but he turned around and punched Warren’s shoulder.
“I’m sorry, Commander Christopher mentioned that you would like to speak with us.”
“Yeah. I’m planning a training exercise. I’d like you two to join so we can get a few tactics down.” Both nodded, Vaalic pointed to the northern exit.
“I just need to find a couple more volunteers. As soon as I do I will meet you all at the northern entrance.” Jurret was a little confused, why do training outside of the camp?
“Why are we leaving to train?” Vaalic smiled, apparently he had a big trump card to play.
“We’re going to train with Silver once we leave the general area of the camp. It should help us if we have to fight any more dragons.” That was, to say the least, a surprise to Warren. Jurret however put the pieces together before he ever mentioned ‘dragon’.
“Umm, a lot of people are going to get hurt, even killed if you fight Dravven as a dragon.” Vaalic nodded cause he knew that might be the case.
“The dragons name is Silver, and that is precisely why I’m asking you to join along with us for this exercise and mission. Don’t worry, I know you will be a great asset and will keep us all relatively safe.” Vaalic patted Jurret on the shoulder and walked off doing his duties. Jurret looked to Warren who simply shrugged his shoulders, they then walked for the northern entrance.
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Thu May 04, 2006 10:12 pm

With Somber and Jake’s departure, the gathered group had disbanded for the night. It was late and the morning would come much too soon. Both Christopher and Vaalic however, were not yet done for the night. Returning to Christopher’s tent, the two men continued the discussion they had been having over the last few days. Unlocking his chest, Christopher took out a map and laid it across the table, using a candle stick and knife as paperweights. Vaalic moved around to stand on the same side of the table to view the map. The location of the camp was marked here, though its marking looked like a common hill. The unusual peak was the only thing that gave its true meaning away to the two men. It was just one of many safeguards used in the event the map was ever stolen or copied. They had been discussing their approach for the mine attack, though the exact tactics they would use had yet to be determined. The single candle was the only light in the dim tent, and it flickered slightly. Picking up their conversation where it had been left, Vaalic began.
”I have talked to Dravven and he supports our idea. Lenox is still one of our greatest threats. That green lizard could annihilate this camp if he were to come across it. We have Sil and Nuanni here to help combat that threat, but as much as I trust Sil to handle the situation, I do not want to put him under that kind of pressure. I was able to find nearly fifty men willing to join this special force. We will be leaving in the morning and will be heading here, ” Vaalic said, pointing to a large hill range, a day and a half’s march away. ”This should be far enough from our main camp to keep the location hidden. The area is covered in hills, and we would be difficult to spot, unless Lenox flew directly overhead. Sil will help teach us how to combat a dragon, should it come to that. The men that are involved understand the risk. I expect us to be gone for one week. We will be back in time to finalize whatever preparations are needed for the mines. ”

Christopher nodded, understanding the potential benefit of having soldiers prepared to combat a dragon. ”This is a dangerous task we have set for these men, but it should help us prepare for the worst case scenario. On that same note, I have sent several scouts into the surrounding area to look for alternate locations for a camp. It has been a concern of mine for some time that this camp would eventually be discovered. We are too many in too small an area. If even a few of these scouts find suitable location we could offer protection to the men by dividing into smaller groups. For this to work, we will have to keep near enough to communicate quickly and effectively with the groups to conduct organized strikes, but by spreading our presence more thoroughly through the area we will also be limiting the chances of our entire force being annihilated in one foul incident.” Christopher reasoned.
”It could prove to help secure our position in the area, but if any one force is discovered they won’t stand a chance. If we separate our forces like that we will need contingencies, but it will defiantly make us a less noticeable target. It could also benefit us to make our force more mobile.”
”Mobile? How so? Our Calvary numbers are limited, and it is difficult to move riders through forest this dense.”
”Not Calvary… the women and children. When Freeport was taken the soldiers evacuated with their families. At the time it was the safest thing they could do, but keeping them here now puts them in jeopardy. If we are discovered I would not expect the Flurin to spare a soul. If we have to relocate, we can not expect the women and children to keep up with a soldier’s march. It is our duty to keep them safe, and it is for that reason I would suggest we send them somewhere more secure. We have been given news that Princess Serah is currently rebuilding the fallen city. If we send the families to her with armed escorts, we will help everyone. The Flurin control does not go beyond Freeport, and they will be safe there. The men would know their families are safe, and we will gain our mobility. Besides, if Serah intends to rebuild what was left of Faith Hills she could use the help. It is something to consider.”
”That would be a big step, but I see what you’re getting at. I will consider it and let you know by the time you return.” Christopher said, not taking such a large decision lightly. Vaalic nodded; satisfied with waiting for an answer.
I will leave you to those decisions. We will be leaving before sunrise tomorrow. By the time we return we should be well prepared to deal with whatever may face us at the mines.”
”I hope you are right. Give Sil my thanks for his part in this. I will likely not see him again before you leave.”
Vaalic nodded his understanding before leaving the tent. He knew this coming week would be like nothing many of these soldiers had ever been through. They would be working from sun up till sun down. The concept of fighting a beast so large and so powerful would take time to learn, and he could hardly expect these men to master Sil’s teachings in a week. Still, it was all the time they could spare, and all their lives may well depend on how well they pick up his teachings.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby Vindao_Nuanni » Wed May 10, 2006 1:54 am

The camp of the Faith army had always held some level of activity, both during the day as well as throughout the night. This was something Vindao had taken note of on a regular basis. He knew the number of guards along the perimeter, the hours of their shift changes down to the route the replacing guards took to relieve their comrades. These details were insightful, and useful in the hands of some, though Vindao merely did this out curiosity. He had no real use for this information, though if he and Nuanni ever needed to evade detection while leaving the camp he knew for certain they could manage it.

This morning, with the light of dawn approaching, there was a change. The usually quiet, slumbering camp was active. At least a part of it was. Vaalic had gathered a group of fifty men with the intention of teaching them to combat a dragon. Nuanni had laughed openly when Vindao had mentioned the idea to her. It had been the first time in weeks that she had smiled. The thought of a few mere soldiers taking down a dragon such as Lenox seemed as likely as overthrowing the gods themselves. Still, Vaalic had asked for their assistance, and Vindao had accepted on both their behalf. Nuanni had been resistant to the idea at first, until Vindao had helped convince her. This idea of Vaalic’s could work to all their advantages. Vaalic wanted Nuanni’s insight into the Flurin training of their dragon knights, but at the same time he would be training a force willing to combat the beast. Nuanni knew she could limit the information she gave to them. In fact, by helping to teach them how to combat a dragon from land, she was teaching them her own weakness, and that was something she would never allow. Still, there was some information she would be willing to part with. In the unlikely event they should succeed in subdoing Lenox, the last major threat to both Vindao and Nuanni would be eliminated. As it was she was somewhat interested to see what the silver would suggest as battle tactics.

The group met on the outskirts of the camp, and soon their expedition was on its way. Nuanni was not pleased she was still in her human form, and though she had never cared for it much in the past she was becoming more comfortable. Both Vindao and Nuanni were seen with a mild sense of suspicion and fear. They were, in a sense, the enemy walking amongst them. Their disloyalty to the Flurin was all that kept the Faith soldiers from following the vengeful looks they gave. Vindao knew that most of the soldiers did not see their betrayal of the Flurin as a sign of loyalty to the Faith Army. In fact, everything they had done to benefit the Faith soldiers was viewed with suspicion. Vindao cared little for the common soldier’s opinion. Truth be told, he was not loyal to the Faith Army, or the Flurin for that matter. His priorities were placed high above countries and emperors.

The hike was long, tiring, but not treacherous. As Vaalic had told them, it was a half a day’s march to where they would make temporary camp and begin the lesson. Throughout the hike Vindao and Nuanni traveled away from the soldiers. Nuanni was vulnerable, and it was Vindao’s suggestion that they travel parallel to the group rather than amongst them. This brought more suspicious glances, but nothing Vindao was unprepared for. As they marched Nuanni took stock of the marching column.
”The men chosen for this are well suited. They all appear to be veteran soldiers. It is less likely they will be unable to control their fear. Still, the arrow’s they carry are far too dull. They need thicker barbs if they expect to pierce dragon hide.” Nuanni commented, scanning the rows of men and their equipment.
”Well then you tell them what kind of arrows to use.” Vindao answered quickly. She let a small pause pass before smiling. That was something she would leave for the silver to mention if he desired. She watched as the soldiers began to set up the temporary camp. She could see Vaalic and Dravven talking, but they allowed the two their privacy. The training for everyone else would be coming soon enough, and Nuanni wanted to know exactly how to counter this new initiative the Faith army had taken. It had been the main reason for her joining the group. By learning how the soldiers would combat a dragon, she would know how to counter their training, should it come down to that. She was realistic in her expectations of the Faith army. She trusted them as much as they trusted her. Well enough, but with suspicion.
The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender.
Elite Dragon Knight of the Fluirin
Vindao_Nuanni
Stablehand

Postby Senken » Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 am

The camp was alive with heavy steps and quiet chatter. The smell of bread and wild bird was rich in the air as women prepared the early meals of the morn and boiled meat for later in the day.

The laughter of children and humbel running patter around the tents a they played seemed to give this place a feeling of peace and home that no battle camp should ever process.

Senken was awake in his tent listening to the outside happenings around him. Deep in thought as to his next move to forward the grand plans of his masters. But all was not well.

The rebels were becaming more and more confident even if unhappy with their quality of life being stuck out in the wilderness.

Vaalic and his fellow criminal scum were deep in plots against the new Flurin city of Freeport. Their efforts to disrupt the empire's hold on the southern capital of Faith is fruitless or at least so Senken as thought.

The uncovering of their plans during the night to send Jake and Somber to the empire it self while Vaalic mounts gorilla attacks here in their homeland to weaken the supply routes to Freeport gave Senken for the first time a deep feeling of concern. And now even as Senken sits in his tent, he is confronted with the prospect that Vaalic and his peoples are even training their ground forces to fight dragons with the aid of man named Sil and the traitor dragon Nuanni.

The time has come. Senken must act now. He must bring word of these things to his masters. But he must first escape the camp and track down Somber and her guard before they get too far for Senken to track them.

Somber is the key to making this all fall apart. Her head must be returned to Freeport and displayed for all to see.

This will kill the rebellion in more ways the one. Or at it's least will break the spirits of her followers far and wide. The Flurin empire will be victorious and the rebellion in ruin. Her death will make it all the easier to force the transition of new government and then spread it's power across Faith.

"She must die"

Senken gathered his clothes and left the tent.

It did not take long for him to find a gap in the guards patrols. Most of them wondered the grounds and the edges of the camp in a day dream. Senken slipped into the woods unnoticed in broad daylight.

Traveling through and around the camp until he found the blood stained grounds at the foot of the tree to which he hid his sword. He leaped up the tree limb to limb until reaching his goal.

Senken disguarded his rags and dressed himself back in his traditional kimono and woven hat and finally the added the placement of his sword at his side. Alonging for completness was again restored and he was whole.

"I will stand in the rain of her own blood and cry the tears of joy before the heavens."
Senken
Stablehand

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner