A Land in Chaos 4

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Postby Killean » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Post 5 of 5 - Written by Killean and Vaalic

Shadow stood his ground, his chest puffing in and out with each labored breath. He held out his hands and allowed his blades to materialize within his grasp. Once the blades appeared, Shadow didn’t move. His vision was trying to adjust to the tunnel directed straight at his pray. Without any sign Shadow snapped low to the ground and leapt forward. With each stride he pushed himself far off to a side trying to make his movements unpredictable. Once Shadow got close to Vaalic, who was steadily backing away, Shadow didn’t outright strike. Instead he pushed himself to Vaalic’s side, and then lunged towards him. Without a blade for protection, Vaalic only had his metallic bracers for protection. He only managed to stop the first blade from striking his neck; Shadow’s second plunged into his side. The gash was not too deep, stopped by ribs that were not broken in the fight before now. As Vaalic stumbled backwards holding his side in pain, Shadow rolled back and landed in his low crouch ready to leap forward.
Shadow hesitated for a moment to stare at his swords which were illuminated ever so slightly. He watched as the blood from Vaalic’s wound began to move by itself on his blade. Slowly it crept up his blade, over the crossguard, and covered his hand and seeped in. When all the blood had vanished, both blades stopped illuminating and began to bleed. As it gathered and eventually dripped to the ground, the blood seemed to combust into flames which burned for a few moments.
Such an evil gift, Shadow thought for a brief moment.
Without further delay, Shadow’s vision was affixed on Vaalic and he charged forth. Vaalic saw that Shadow was readying to uppercut slash him, so he waited for as long as he could and then placed his bracers out in front to block the blow. Vaalic was too weak to repel Shadow’s blow, but he managed to redirect it somewhat. The blade sliced cleanly up the right side of Vaalic’s shoulder and across his collar bone. The wound was ghastly and began to bleed heavily, though it had been a better result than having his jaw cleaved in two. Shadow continued his assault, getting low to the ground then thrusting his other sword through Vaalic’s armor and his gut. Everyone clearly saw what should have been a fatal blow, a sword straight through the man’s body and poking out the opposite side.
Vaalic gagged as Shadow slowly pulled his blade out of him. Shadow’s demonic side had almost taken him over fully. Proof of this point being the sickening and euphoric look of delight on his face as blood gushed out of the wound. No longer able to hold himself up, Vaalic took one last step backwards and fell down on his back. He tried with all his might to pull himself away, but every move he made caused pain to wrack through his body. Shadow closed the relatively close gap after seeing Vaalic try to move away, and stabbed one of his swords through Vaalic’s lower thigh and deep into the ground. Vaalic was unable to cry out in pain, but began to cough up thick blood instead.
Shadow straddled Vaalic and sat on his stomach, paralyzing him with pain. Shadow pulled off one of his gloves and wiped the gathering blood from Vaalic’s eyes. For one last time, Shadow wanted to stare into those hateful eyes. The moment passed, and Shadow began to raise his remaining sword over his head to give Vaalic the final blow.
For the first time in his re-life, Shadow was given a moment of silence. A moment where the cries of hell ceased to be, and his mind was clear of all vile thoughts. This brief moment was all his conscience needed. Shadow saw through the eyes of the man below him, to a women close behind filled with sorrow. If he continued with what he was going to do, then he would be robbing Angel of the smile he swore never to again erase.
You want change. It happens now, with he who you despise most. There is a healer here, so just walk away. Shadow’s thoughts came, and then soon after so did the howls. They demanded he continue, they demanded this soul. Shadow closed his eyes and took slow breaths. He tried with every ounce of his strength to fight back. Shadow’s hands began to quiver, and arms wavering under the weight of the demonic blade.
“Nooo!” He shouted from the bottom of his being and dropped the sword beside him. Shadow got up as quick as he could, allowing Vaalic to once again move. As his last act of compassion, Shadow grabbed the blade stuck in the ground and pulled. The sword felt as heavy as a small boulder, but with the help of his adrenaline Shadow pulled the sword free of the ground and Vaalic’s thigh and threw it off to the side.

The noise was deafening, even to the point of severe pain. Shadow’s face was flushed and sunken in. His eyes could not concentrate on a single thing. All the soldiers wanted to move in to pull Vaalic away but they dared not move towards the demon. They watched as Shadow started to stumble about, mumbling to himself. Shadow whimpered and closed his eyes again. When he opened them his head darted around looking for the direction of sanctuary. He recognized the direction he had arrived from and bolted off immediately.
As Shadow stumbled through the fields of grass and tree’s, the pain and confusion slowly faded. His resolve was fighting a war for control of his mind, and the moment it slipped he would envision what he had and control was yet again established. The more control he gained, the more the moans turned into growls promising torture if compliance was not had.
Never again will I allow the endless pain of death to rule me. I do not care how much pain my curse brings to me. I will never soil these hands with innocent blood again. Shadow thought, knowing that his thoughts would be the catalyst to something bad. And it was, as he watched the world of color disappear in a thick fog of black. Hearing a growl from somewhere behind him, Shadow knew he was being hunted. The next question was, by what, and what could Shadow even hope to do against it?
Shadow was out of time. Something leapt from the darkness and drove its claws deep into his back, pushing him forward to the black ground. The creature continued to rake into his back, and seemed frustrated that his wounds continued to heal. Nevertheless, it assaulted Shadow for nearly a minute before he had the strength and will to throw the creature off. Shadow opened his eyes as the pain subsided, and he could see that the world had reappeared. But now it was accompanied by several large wolf-like shadows with crimson eyes, staring back, and growling menacingly.
When one of the shadows twitched; hesitating to charge, Shadow started running immediately for the forest. This set all the demonic wolves in motion, snarling and growling as they closed in. Shadow’s luck held out as he faked a leap and then slid along the ground in the splits, while the creature charging at him from that direction jumped over. However the wolf’s rear foot clipped his shoulder causing him to spin to a halt. Shadow scrambled to his feet as fast as he could, just barely staying ahead of the creatures snapping maw.
A howl issued from behind Shadow which he knew all too well. The hunt was on, and this was not the time. Shadow could barely concentrate on the peace he had found, and already he was subjected to live with his worst enemy, his instinct. The moment Shadow entered the wooded area, he jumped up to a branch and swung himself up into a tree. He watched as two wolves flew past where he would have been, and then they disappeared as soon as they hit the large oak that was in their path. Shadow looked around for a path through the trees as the branch he was sitting atop, began to complain about the added weight. As he looked behind his tree for any paths there, he heard it growl at him.
Shadow moved himself back as far as he could from the base. As he half suspected, a shadowy wolf appeared suddenly flying at a great speed towards him. The wolf plowed full tilt into Shadow’s chest; the two fell from out of the tree. This was it. Shadow was pinned to the ground by the large creature and there was nothing he could do, except scream in pain as it and the others clawed and bit into his flesh.

An arrow flew through the brush and harmlessly passed through a wolf whisking a bit of its dark smoggy body away, ending with a large thud as it stuck into a root. The wolves stopped their assault and looked at the intruder. They all growled in unison and ran off towards separate trees and disappeared as they did before. The unknown archer was on high alert. Never had he seen such things before.
When the creatures made no sign of returning, the archer moved slowly towards Shadow who was lying on the ground, still recovering from all the wounds.
“Are you okay?” The man asked stopping when he saw Shadow move and groan.
“I’m fine.” Shadow replied quietly, looking for the source of the voice. He saw the archer, and his outfit. It matched the rebel soldiers of Faith Hills.
“Who are you?” The sentry asked with an edge of caution. Shadow slowly got to his feet and turned away.
“No one important.” Shadow began to walk away. The soldier was not too eager to stop the dark elf from leaving, but his conscience nagged him to.
Thankfully the soldier didn’t make any fuss with Shadow wanting to leave. Once he cleared the brush, Shadow continued his all out run again for Freeport.
I don’t want to return. But even if things could change, I don’t think my life is long enough to repay what I have done. How do I know this isn’t just some kind of dream? A cruel joke sent by hell giving me false hope? I can never have this freedom, because I have no choice but death.
Shadow’s mind was in chaos, a never ending loop of self pity, self loathing, and harsh personal judgment. He didn’t even realize that his body carried him throughout his entire inner monologue, straight up to the palace gates. In his mind he heard the church bells, crying out, ‘Sanctuary! Sanctuary!’ Shadow carefully picked his way inside, avoiding all contact and sight.
There were no guards around her door, this late at night. Shadow wasn’t even sure if he should have entered, not knowing if she was sleeping. He also felt too ashamed to even see her now, knowing how close he had come to destroying her happiness again.
No, Shadow thought, I must face her and confess my sins. I must tell her I almost destroyed her last ray of light. Slowly and quietly he opened the door to her room and stepped in. The dying fire’s light silently danced over the moonlight illuminating Angel, who was fast asleep in her chair. One arm was hanging on the cradle that stood beside her, the other holding one of the books he gave her, open on her lap.
Shadow hesitated for a moment, which was long enough for Angel to feel his presence. Before she opened her eyes, she called out, “Shadow?”
“Angel, I…” Shadow began, then looked away. Angel brushed the hair from her eyes and wearily placed the book on the other chair. She stood up and cautiously took a step or two towards the dark figure. Angel wanted Shadow to show her his eyes, so she could understand his story before it was spoken of. She could only dread the worst because Shadow couldn’t even look to her.
“I… I couldn’t do it…” He stammered, clenching his eyes closed. Angel could only hope that he spoke of Vaalic. She found and grabbed onto the love she had for him, wanting Shadow to quit with the suspense and tell her of his fate.
“What couldn’t you do?” Shadow gathered his bravery and looked up to face her. He had faced many situations in his life that called his brevity into question, and never had it let him show fear. Now, however, it could not help but falter. He felt nothing more then a lost child looking for comfort. Studying her for a moment, Shadow saw the desperation in her eyes which her neutral expression tried to hide it. Somewhere deep inside him was hurt when he saw this. Angel on the other hand could gather nothing from seeing into Shadow’s eyes. They always looked sad, filled with a great pain that no one should ever have known.
“I couldn’t bring myself to finish him.” “Is he okay?” She began to worry. Vaalic would fight unto his last ounce of strength, and would be on the ground barely breathing before Shadow could administer the final blow.
“He will be. There was a skilled magical healer present, and I believe that he will have been saved immediately.” A wave of relief flew through Angel, that Shadow clearly saw.
“Tell me what happened.” She said and moved closer to him. Shadow closed his eyes to recall what had transpired. He desperately wanted to forget the encounter, but not the aftermath.
“As I was over him, my blade held high ready to strike, I realized that a moment for change was upon me. And so I threw the sword away.” He opened his eyes again and looked to hers for answers. She finally saw a change in his eyes. He was confused. And so she knew what she had to ask this tortured man.
“Do you feel you’ve done the right thing?”
Yes… his thoughts echoed, “I don’t know. I feel as though I have been living for the wrong reasons.” Angel smiled and finished closing the gap between the two. She placed a hand on his folded arms and looked to his face. She casually brushed a stray strand of hair from his face, to which Shadow reacted by backing up an inch into the door behind him. Her touch was so alien to him.
“You feel. That is what’s most important. For whatever reason, good or bad, you have the change you want. And for that I am glad.” As Shadow stared at her, and the last word she spoke registered, all the noise in his head gradually went silent.
“I don’t know where to begin.” He said in a tiny voice.
“You do.” She replied clasping his hand for a moment. Letting go she moved back to her chair. Just before she got to it, she looked over her shoulder, “But give it some time to show itself to you. Just never let go of what you feel.”
Shadow felt ill. He looked at the ground and moved his folded arms down to his belly.
“Good night Angel. And thank you.” Angel smiled again, “Good night ShadowRune. You are always welcome here.” And thus Shadow slipped out of her room, as a changed man.

This creature fighting Vaalic seemed familiar, in a way, to Jurret. The only question he kept asking himself was where he saw this ‘man’ before. The answer then couldn’t be more obvious as he sought his past. This was the infamous assassin elf of Twin Peaks. Jurret had the displeasure of hunting him once, but he couldn’t sacrifice his party then to bring this monster in to be judged. And as he watched the assassin move and act, Jurret was thankful he pulled out when he did. This was no mere elf; it was an unholy creature not of this world. Its funny though, he never felt a demonic presence in him before. Perhaps after he vanished, he was killed and turned into this vile affront to life itself.
Whatever the reasons were, Vaalic was doomed to failure. Jurret wanted to help him, but the howls he and everyone heard was filled with a powerful magic, and prevented him from even considering moving forward. When the creature pinned Vaalic, the howling stopped, but none dared to move in. The assassin stumbled about in a stupor and then simply ran off, leaving Jurret confused. Regardless, there was a man’s life hanging on by a thin line, and Jurret had to save it.

The group closed the circle once the demon was gone from their sights. Jurret had to violently throw soldiers and slaves to the sides to get to Vaalic. The moment he got up to Vaalic he pulled his sword out and stabbed it in the ground propping it against his self. He pulled off his beautiful cloak; given to him by his parents before he left, and proceeded to cut it in half on the sword.
“You!” He shouted and pointed to a random soldier. The man thoughtlessly stepped forward, waiting for Jurret’s word. “Take this, fold it up, and press it hard over the wounded leg.” He handed half the cloak to him.
Jurret repeated this to another for the wound on Vaalics stomach. When the soldier pressed down Vaalic writhed, but he could barely scream as his life was nearly gone. Jurret was quick to move to Vaalic’s shoulder and collar bone, where the wound was critically deep. Lifting Vaalic’s head carefully Jurret moved his knees underneath to help support it.
“Vaalic, keep fighting, Vaalic. You’re going to be alright, just don’t give up!” Jurret shouted to the incoherent man.
Placing his hands on either side of Vaalic’s neck and shoulder, Jurret closed his eyes and began to chant silent words of prayer. With these kinds of wounds he needed more then just strength of will and magic, he needed a boon from his goddess. Jurret’s hands suddenly illuminated as the wind typically picked up around him. As the ceremony grew to a crescendo, Vaalic’s body joined in the bright illumination. Those among the rebels who worshiped the elven goddess of life, Solyen, saw the kind of power Jurret was channeling through him. Even though the image was vague, they could see what appeared to be a female elf with flowing golden hair hugging Jurret, channeling her power through him.
The show ended with a thunderous crack that sounded like it could be heard for miles. The light surrounding Vaalic slowly vanished like a piece of smithed metal cooling in the air, going the slowest around the wounds that he just had a moment ago. Jurret carefully lifted Vaalic’s head from his lap and placed it on the ground. He slid himself on the ground away from Vaalic by a foot or two and then attempted to stand on his feet. After stumbling for a bit, then using a couple soldiers as props, he managed to drag himself to his feet. They had little time to spare here, so some of the soldiers found items to carry the wounded, and they managed to coax the delirious Jurret on to one. The two forces, both Faith and Flurin were at a standstill. They eyed one another suspiciously, but with each commander either incapacitated or gone there was no order given to resume the battle.
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Postby Ruakha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:55 am

It had been two days, and for the General of the Flurin army they had been spent in preparation. He had rarely slept in that time, and his soldiers and servants were beginning to feel the force of his temper and exhaustion. Several soldiers began to voice their concern over the General’s new found mood, though their voices were never above a whisper. Ruakha was never seen without his bodyguards, and he received reports whenever anything of consequences presented itself. Still, the task of organizing and mobilizing his army while keeping civil obedience was trying on his nerves. He was still waiting to hear news from those he was expecting. Vental had since begun her investigation. The General had believed Caamar to be the most likely one to betray him, and Vental had been questioning him for most of the day. She had yet to extract a confession, but the General knew one would be forthcoming. The spy he had sent to help unearth the conspiracy had yet to return with any information. The boy assassin Senkin remained unaccounted for, but the General allowed him the leniency of doing exactly what his reputation suggested he could. ShadowRune had been deployed to the mines, and as of yet there had been no word of his success. He expected to hear word back from that front very soon. In the meantime, Ruakha intended to check on his next concern. Vental had spent a full day in Caamar’s company and he would check her progress.

With his bodyguards walking in close formation around him, General Ruakha made his way through the streets of Freeport. His approach was uninterrupted and he soon made his way into the warehouse districts near the port. His destination was a common building and strictly not military. Vental had confessed to the General that she had chosen this location because it could not be tied back to either of them. If her interrogation proved to be too much for Caamar, she would leave his body here. The credit for his interrogation and death would be given to the Faith soldiers within the city. General Ruakha motioned for one of his protectors to open the door. Dutifully the soldier complied. The door was locked, but was soon unlocked as the soldier became more aggressive in his approach. Once the door had been opened Ruakha took in the room before him. The room was barren without a single chair or table to be seen. There was the distinct smell of someone cooking and of burning meat. Several men were standing in a circle, and each turned to the sudden entrance. Three of the men went so far as to draw their weapons or aim their crossbows before they realized who had come in.
“General!” Vental exclaimed as he stepped through the door. She moved around to stand in plain sight of her superior. ”This is a surprise. What brings you to my office?”
The General’s bodyguards came to stand around him, as Vental’s flanked her. Ruakha noticed curiously that the large warrior Vental had recently recruited was not present. Although he wondered as to the man’s whereabouts he had come for a much more specific purpose.
”You know full well why I’ve come. Where is Caamar, I want to speak with him. Has he told you anything yet?”
Ruakha caught the side long glances her bodyguards exchanged, but waited for Vental to respond.
”I have good news. Your instincts have proven to be a vital resource General. Caamar did confess to his crimes, and has given me several names to follow up on. He was not alone in his conspiracy, but it will end with him. Unfortunately, my questions became too much for his body to bear and he unfortunately surrendered to his wounds no more than a half hour past.”

The General hesitated for a moment. He had suspected his old comrade of these actions, but to learn of their truth was stunning. Ruakha had not adjusted to the news before the thought of his death came to mind. Caamar was a high ranking official in the Flurin army, and his absence would be noticed without question. He would have a cover story written before his evening dinner.
”Take me to him.” The General said, even as his thoughts lingered on what had been done. He was no stranger to torture or death, but to have it done on a former ally was not the same. He knew that this was something the Emperor would look down upon, and so he intended to keep the burden from his monarch’s mind. Vental readily showed the General the way into the next room. The faint odor of burnt meat became the rancid stench of seared flesh. The smell of it made his stomach turn, but he remained poised and in control. Caamar was unrecognizable, as he was now little more than a charred skeleton tied to a partially incinerated chair. His eyes had been burnt from the sockets, and his head had been thrown back with his mouth still wide. Ruakha could only imagine the torment he had gone through, and briefly felt a pang of regret. Even though Caamar had proven to be a traitor, he had served the Empire well and deserved a better end than this.

Ruakha knew Vental to be ruthless and fully capable of such a despicable act, and he knew it had been done by his order, if not directly.
”We began with a light beating to warm him up. Of course he insisted on having us all skinned alive and would not confess. We moved onto the fingers next, then the teeth. It was the brand that eventually loosened his tongue. He confessed to plotting to overthrow you, which meant killing us both. He gave me the names of several captains that had agreed to his plan. He intended to have it done quietly. Poison was his choice, though he didn’t say which.” Vental explained with such infuriating calmness the General felt like striking her. The sight of his former comrade was beginning to make him sick, though he could not seem to look away.
”A brand does not do this to a man.” The General said simply, finally cover him nose and mouth in an attempt to filter the smell. Vental watched him for a moment, her eyes cold and uncaring.
”No, it doesn’t. Once I had the information I needed I had no further use for him. I couldn’t let him go. He found his end like a coward; begging and groveling for his life. We doused him in lamp oil and set him alight. The fire will purify him. The smell was a little much at the time, but one does get used to it.” She said, watching the General’s disgusted look without the slightest sign of sympathy.
”He was a comrade and a friend, however misguided. He deserved a better death than this. Why could you not have just cut his throat?” Ruakha asked more calmly than he felt. Vental returned his stare evenly.
”He may have been a comrade, but he was never a friend. He was plotting to kill the both of us, and I would use him to set an example. Think of him as an assassin, not as the man you shared a keg of dark ale with. Now, if you’ll excuse me General I have further leads to follow. These will be far less memorable, but my point will be clear.” Vental walked past the General and out of the room before he could find the thoughts to stop her. In a moment the General and his guards were alone in the room.

Ruakha did not move for several moments; his eyes locked on the burnt remains. His guards waited patiently, though he could tell they were eager to leave this place. The smell would surely stay with them all for several days. It was at the same moment that Ruakha intended to turn away that the light from the sun seemed to fade from the doorway. It was as though the sun had been eclipsed. Before the General could make sense of the strange turn of light he heard the hissing speech behind him.
”Tonight, a balance has been broken.” Ruakha heard the rasping words and spun to face them. Alone, sitting on hunched legs was an imp, his wings folded over his back. The ugly little creature regarded him with a smile filled with needlelike teeth and eyes that seemed to be completely black. The General’s protectors stepped forward, their weapons already drawn to form a protective wall before him. The imp ignored the aggressive maneuver and spoke directly to Ruakha without a hint of fear.
”The demon you control has changed… He has turned from his destined path. He is attempting to impose his own will on that which he must do.” The imp sat up, rising to its full height.
”I have heard nothing of this. What has happened?” Ruakha asked, suddenly concerned. He remained behind his protectors, though he could see the imp easily from between them.
”ShadowRune has chosen to spare the life of a hated enemy. It was a choice that was not his to make. We have tried to break him, but he has proven more resistant than we could have thought. He has grown a weakness… a fondness for the woman with his child. You must exploit that weakness. Use both the woman and the child over him. He will resist, but you have his stone and he can not harm you. If he does not surrender himself, slay both woman and child. We will hold them for ransom on the other side.” Before the General could stammer a reply the imp vanished in a cloud of smoke.
True power does not come from wielding a sword.
Rather it comes from influencing those that do.
Ruakha
Stablehand

Postby Khellandros » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:48 pm

With Jasmine’s success in reaching the sweet air of freedom, several of the other soldiers took strength from her example and began the treacherous climb. Each man went one at a time. Jasmine had secured the rope on her end, and Khell and the other solders made sure the rope was tight on their end as well. As the soldiers slowly climbed the cliff wall, the rope was there as a slight safety, should they fall. Khell waited and watched as one soldier after the other made the climb. Each one had substantial difficulty near the end, when the wall leaned back. Two men needed the help of the rope, when their hands had given out, but thankfully there were enough men already on the top to pull them the rest of the way. Otherwise he would have to slide down the rope and begin again. It took some time, but eventually the soldiers made it through. Some of the larger men were forced to remove their armor in order to slip through the narrow opening, but no one got stuck. Things became more difficult when it came time for the slaves to go. Khell continued to hold the rope along with three other slaves, but he knew that soon it would do little good. Without others to help anchor him down Khell knew that it was likely he would get pulled off his ledge by the weight of the one falling, if it came to that. The malnourished and beaten slaves had a considerable amount of trouble making the climb. Many could not make it more than half way up the cliff before relying on the rope, and the strength of the soldiers to pull them up.

The progress was slow, but it was still progress. The torch was beginning to grow dim and Khell realized that he may be doing his climb in the near dark. That thought was something that troubled him. They had nearly all of them out when another slave woman attempted the climb, but faltered almost immediately, leaving it to the soldiers at the top to pull her up. She was hanging suspended and dragged slowly when the progress was halted. She dangled perilously for a few moments, and the others began to voice concern. Khell tried to strain to see or hear something, but there was no hint of anything above. Then, with a sudden gasp the woman fell, or rather was left to plummet down. Her terrified shriek echoed through the cavern, and at first Khell thought the rock had cut her rope. He and the others that remained braced themselves to catch the weight as it fell past them. He only hoped that they would stop her before she hit the unforgiving stone far below their own ledge. Khell gritted his teeth in the same moment as the woman fell past him and his eyes locked on hers for less than a moment. Even such a short time was enough for him to see the terror in her eyes. Then, the rope grew taunt and dragged Khell and the others forward several steps. The force of her weight combined with the momentum of her fall was nearly enough to pull them all off the ledge after her. Khell’s foot stopped, half over the precipice. The woman was sobbing uncontrollably as she clung to the rope for dear life. They had stopped her in time, though only barely. It was then that Khell realized that the rope had not been cut, but rather released. Before he could find the answer to that question he saw someone come through the opening at the top. Khell and the others were already beginning to pull the woman up when the man’s face looked down on them.
”What the hell happened?” Khell shouted up at him, his voice not concealing the outrage he felt. In response the man raised a bow and knocked his arrow.
”What the hell?” Khell’s question had not even finished before the arrow was loosed. It flew straight and impaled the slave holding the rope behind him. The man had not seen the missile’s approach and it struck him nearly in the center of the chest. Instantly he fell, clutching the shaft of wood and feather that had somehow materialized so painfully inside him. The moment the man released the rope Khell was pulled forward. Without the additional strength holding the rope it became more difficult to keep his own grip. Khell’s hand was still cut and the blood ran across the rope as a short length ran through his faltering grip. He cursed loudly as he tried to hold tight, even as the mysterious man above knocked another arrow.

Khell couldn’t say what was going on, or where his allies had gone, but it was obvious that the man above him was his enemy, and unless something was done they would be slaughtered like fish in a barrel. The only saving grace that Khell could see was that the opening his enemy was firing from was exposed, and only large enough for the one lone man to crouch. He would not have to worry about multiple archers, though one could prove deadly enough. It was then that the remaining slaves realized what was happening and saw the hunter perched above them. In terror they retreated back into the caves. Those that had been helping Khell with the rope let go and turned to follow the panicked group. Without the aid of the slaves the rope began to slide through Khell’s hand, staining the coarse hemp red with each passing foot. The archer let loose another arrow, taking down a slave as the man’s back was turned trying to push past the rest. The hopeless man writhed on the ground in pain, but his companions did not so much as glance in his direction in their haste to reach the concealment of the stone walls. With a cry of frustration Khell felt the rope slip further, until his hand could no longer grasp it. His stomach sunk as the rope was fully released, and he let the woman fall. Her terrified scream was renewed, only to be silenced suddenly by the stones beneath her. Khell could not bear to think about what he had just done, and what his failure had cost.

Instead he reached for his bow and drew his own arrow. The hunter had already knocked his next arrow and was leveling his aim at Khell. Without the time to aim properly Khell let his arrow fly. His shot was poorly aimed but reached near to the hunter. The arrow’s arc from below had startled the hunter into letting loose his own arrow prematurely, and both shots clashed harmlessly off the stone. They had both missed, and were now both on even standing. The next two seconds was a matter of life and death for those two men. Khell’s hand pulled his next arrow free even as he was raising his bow to aim. The hunter was doing much the same, and for Khell he knew this would be the only shot he had. Both men knocked their arrows nearly in unison and drew back. Khell lined up his shot on the difficult incline, while the hunter had the advantage of higher ground. Both men let their arrow free at the first moment they believed they could make the shot. Both arrows flew through the air with one crucial detail of difference. In his haste the hunter had knocked his arrow improperly, and as the shaft slid past the bow it stripped the feather from one side, sending the arrow spiraling out of control and down the chasm. Khell’s arrow however had flown true and the sharp barb buried itself just off center of the hunter’s forehead. The arrow was almost certainly fatal, but the hunter fell forward as his body went limp, sending him plummeting soundlessly to the bottom of the chasm.

Khell allowed himself a brief cry of success before he knocked another arrow. He leveled his aim back at the now empty ledge, waiting for someone else foolish enough to try and take the position. His hand burnt and throbbed, but he tried to push that from his mind. After a few moments of silence Khell could see no one moving onto the ledge. The few slaves that had remained down here had vanished back into the caves, and Khell did not intend to follow. They had made their choice and he was about to make his. Strapping his bow securely onto his back Khell cut a strip of cloth from his shirt to bind the wound on his hand. He intended to make the climb, and he didn’t want the stone to become blood slick.

After a moment to steady his nerves Khell began. He had no rope to secure him and no one to support him should he fall. He never felt more alone, though he knew that if he failed he could blame no one but himself. Something had happened to his allies, of that he was certain. He could not believe that they would just abandon him here, and he knew that Jasmine at least would have remained. He prayed for their safety as well as his own as he made the climb. His movements were slow, controlled and thought out. Khell used his legs to push himself up more than his hands to pull. Although his progress was slower than most, he had managed to reach the incline. Here he paused and tried to plan his path. It was only a few feet away, but he had seen a good number of people lose their grip in the attempt. He did not have the benefit of a second chance. His arms burned and his hand still throbbed, but he kept his thoughts on the short distance he had to go. He had come so far already; he could surely go a few more feet. Then, before he had time for his doubt to demoralize him, he began. It was difficult for him to keep his grip, but he held on. His fingers ached and threatened to take rest whether he allowed them to or not. As a youth Khell had spent a great deal of time in the wilderness, running, swimming, climbing and hunting. He had never attempted anything like this, but in those days that now seemed so distant he could remember pushing himself to greater heights. The only difference was that back then he had been looking for a challenge, while now his very life depended on it. With one final surge Khell strained his muscles to act as he forced himself up the last few dangerous feet. With a gasp he grabbed hold of the upper ledge and rolled himself onto it. He gave himself a moment to lay there and catch his breath. His aching body accepted the rest gratefully, but all too soon he forced himself up and out of the hole. He drew his bow and knocked an arrow. The sight he found just outside was startling. The bodies of three Flurin soldier lay abandoned on the ground, their weapons still clutched in their lifeless hands.

A child could follow the path the fight had taken into the trees. Khell followed the path at a fast jog until he could hear the sounds of the conflict. Soldiers shouting orders and the sound of steel clashing against steel attracted him. Finally Khell came upon the skirmish. The Faith soldier’s had moved to the high ground atop a hill and had rallied together. They formed a tight circle at the top of the hill, claiming it as their own, while the small Flurin force had surrounded them. Though the Flurin soldiers outnumbered the Faith it was not by a substantial amount, and with the more defensible position it was clear that the Faith soldiers did not intend to sell their lives cheaply. The slaves too weak to fight were kept protectively in the center of the circle. He could see Jasmine there, working to keep a soldier from advancing. From his concealed position hidden in the thick growth of some of the smaller trees Khell drew back his bow and took aim. He may not be one of the soldier’s atop the hill, but he was more conformable here in the forest. At the very least he would give the Flurin soldiers something else to worry about.
Until lions have their historians,
tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
Khellandros
Stablehand

Postby Vindao_Nuanni » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:54 am

The attack on the mine had been launched and the Faith forces had managed to break through the barricades. The slaughter had begun, and both Vindao and Nuanni remained on the peripheral. Their position had been held at the tree line around the fortification with their attention aimed to the skies. They were not alone here. The fifty men chosen and trained to combat a dragon from the ground remained there with them, the Dragonsbane force. Nuanni could see the envious stares as the veteran soldiers watched their brothers charge to battle. These dragon slayers were to be held in reserve and were meant to come to attack should Lenox arrive. The battle raged behind the wooden wall of the compound and both Vindao and Nuanni waited impatiently. They were unaccustomed to waiting. They had been trained to be the spearhead of the army; the first to reach battle and the last to leave. Finally Vindao turned to his partner.
”Our place is not down here. We should go up and take the better position.” Nuanni nodded her agreement.
”I was thinking the same thing.” Nuanni said. Without another word they moved away from the cover of the forest and into the more open field between the forest and the encampment. With a conscious effort Nuanni began the process of returning herself to her natural form. Within moments and through a bright flash of light her transformation was complete. No sooner had the blue dragon come into its full presence that Vindao had begun to climb her side and strap into the harness she wore. With a powerful push from her legs both dragon and rider were launched from the earth, and sent to climb higher above the tree line. Nuanni climbed higher and higher, her view of the compound expanding. They had flown too high for arrows or sorcery to effectively reach them. They watched the battle commence. The fight appeared to be brutal but swift, and before long the Faith soldiers had taken the outer compound and began to move below ground.

Still, Nuanni knew they were to be held in reserve. There was no sign of Lenox, and that at least was a blessing. Nuanni circled above the compound like a vulture, watching the destruction below. She then spotted something suspicious. A group of soldiers had evaded her notice and had somehow managed to reach the inner circle of the compound. Vindao had been the one to point out the enemy’s startling appearance. There was some other force at work, and Nuanni suspected sorcery. She would have seen such a group by any other means. The new Flurin force took the Faith soldiers by surprise and soon incapacitated or killed those that had been left behind. Nuanni’s eyes narrowed and she dove, her talons open and ready to strike. She dropped several hundred feet before Vindao shouted to her, his voice hardly audible through the rushing wind.
”Remember the pact!” His words reached her and immediately her decent leveled. She circled the clearing again, only this time from a much closer position. In the heat of the moment she had forgotten the pact between the dragons. They had all sworn to remain neutral in the conflict, and although it was an unprecedented agreement it was one that limited the threat Lenox posed. Frustrated, Nuanni let out a growl as she watched the Flurin force prepare an ambush and wait for the Faith soldier’s return.
”Our force will not be prepared for that ambush. We should warn them.” Vindao suggested, as he watched the enemy conceal their position from the eyes of the ground. Their plan, however, was transparent from above.
”Agreed. We have no way to contact those within the mines. They will be the bait required to spring the trap. We will order the Dragonsbane force to wait in ambush around the compound’s walls. When our main force returns they will be ambushed by this new Flurin presence. Once that battle begins we will order our reserves through the gates. That will pin the Flurin soldiers between two forces of reasonable size. They will be forced to split their attention between the two fronts, and that distraction alone will give us the advantage. They will lose their avenue of escape and we can cut them down to a man.” With a plan in mind, Nuanni moved away from her position above the compound, and carefully descended to land well outside the wooden walls of the fortress. She wanted to keep her presence secret from the soldier’s hiding inside. Once on the ground, Vindao dismounted and approached the soldier’s of the Dragonsbane force. They still regarded him with a great deal of suspicion, but neither did they wish to make an enemy of him.
”There has been a complication.” Vindao began. He went on to explain the situation with the new force, and how it had acquired the outer compound. When he explained the enemy’s plan to ambush their comrades when they exited the tunnels, nearly half of the men began to move as though they would neutralize that threat single handedly. It was only after harsh words and reprimands that Vindao managed to control them long enough to finish. He explained Nuanni’s plan, and how they wanted to ambush the Flurin ambush. After some brief discussion the plan was accepted.
”Captain, I want you to move your men up to the base of the outer wall. The enemy does not have any scouts watching their back. As far as they are concerned they have already taken down their only threat outside the mine. I want the force split between the two sides of the door. No one is to move until I give the command. Nuanni will be the one to give the signal to attack. It will be impossible to miss. Just remember, this new threat is responsible for either capturing or killing Dravven. It is unlikely they have left him alive unless they realize who he is. If he has been captured, you can expect him to be tortured for information. That is his fate, should you fail to kill them. Is that understood?” The Captain had turned slightly pale at the mention of Dravven’s possible capture or death. Still, he confirmed his commitment and ordered the men to begin moving. Once Vindao was satisfied the men were on their way he returned to Nuanni.
”Will they obey us?” She asked, watching the men prepare themselves to move.
”I believe so. They will wait for your signal to attack. If they grow impatient and try to attack the ambush before the other force has arrived I have no doubt they will be slaughtered. We will just have to wait and see.” Vindao said as he re-mounted her and strapped himself in. With another powerful push they were airborne. They would not have a hand in the conflict directly, but they would have a great view to watch it play out.

It did not take long for the Faith soldiers to move into position. They lined the wall around the broken remains of the entrance, waiting for Nuanni's signal to attack. The swift blue dragon made lazy circles in the air, intently watching the scene before her. It was some time before there was any sign of movement, then the first Faith soldier emerged from the tunnel. Nuanni could see the reflection the sun gave off his still bloodied blade. From such a distance it was difficult to make out even that detail.
"Shall we send them in now?" Vindao asked as he watched several more Faith soldiers enter their sight.
"We wait for the main force to engage. We need them thoroughly distracted, else we lose our advantage." was her reply.
The pair watched with growing interest as the Faith soldiers poured through the bottle neck of the mine entrance and back into the open area, while the Flurin soldiers revealed themselves and prepared to attack.
"Why have they stopped? They just lost their advantage of surprise." Vindao exclaimed as he watched the flawed tactics. Even though they were his enemy, he couldn't help but shake his head at the mistake.
"I can't say, but they appear to be at a standoff." Nuanni said curiously as she slowly spiralled lower to get a better view. With her drop in altitude she could more clearly see the defining features of the soldiers. She watched as the Faith column parted ways to let a single man walk forward.
"It is Vaalic, and it appears he has challenged the Flurin leader."

When the duel began both Vindao and Nuanni could not take their eyes off the spectacle. Nuanni was more amazed that the soldiers did not take up arms against one another, but rather they were content to stop and watch the two leaders duel. Nuanni hardly blinked as the two men exchanged blows. She had considered giving the signal to attack, but then thought better of it. If the two forces had come to a temporary truce while the outcome of the duel was decided, then who was she to provoke hostilities. The fight continued for some time, but in the end she watched Vaalic fall. There was a momentary sense of disapointment when the swordsman did not stand again, but that was soon forgotten when his opponent suddenly fled from the compound.
"What is he doing?" Vindao asked as the man seemed to sprint to the gate. It was something that neither of them expected, and before they could offer any warning to the men on the ground, The Flurin leader ran through the gate and straight past the waiting soldiers without missing a step.

The sudden appearance of an enemy soldier sprinting past them had caught the entire group by surprise, and before Nuanni could do anything the soldiers rushed in, ready to help their comrades. Their battle cries died on their lips when they saw the two forces standing neutral, while the body of one man was being tended by a healer. The Flurin could now see their unfortunate situation. It was clear to Vindao that should the Flurin choose to fight, the battle would be extremely close. Each side would lose many good men, with little to nothing to show for it. It appeared that the remaining soldiers on both sides had come to a similar conclusion. With the leaders of both forces either fallen or fled, there was no further incentive to throw their lives away. Nuanni watched with renewed interest as the two forces remained deadlocked. Neither one willing to make the first move of retreat. Tension was still high, and the slightest thing could send the field below into a killing ground once again.
The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender.
Elite Dragon Knight of the Fluirin
Vindao_Nuanni
Stablehand

Postby Domianos » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:30 am

The weeks of preparation had finally paid off. Prince Aramis had guided the plan personally, and Domianos found himself spending a large amount of time with his prince. His discomfort was strong at first, as he feared to say or do anything to offend the youthful heir, but that soon faded. Before the end of their weeks of planning Domianos had finally come to terms with calling his prince simply Aramis, at the constant request of the prince. Small raiding parties were routinely sent to ambush the Flurin patrols around the city, but Domianos was held back from those conflicts. Instead he had stayed with Aramis and a tight group of his tacticians and captains. Evidently Domianos’ insight into their tactics and plans had been something Prince Aramis had drawn on. The attack on the mines would be an effort from both the forces within the city and those on the outside, though it was only the first step in their plan. It was true the pivotal point of their plans would be dictated by the actions of the Faith army outside the walls, but Aramis intended to do everything he could from his side to help facilitate his allies. Domianos had been busy the past weeks studying the city maps, Flurin patrols and habits. Aramis and his men had managed to plant moles throughout the city, and though Aramis did not have access to the royal treasury, the gains they procured while raiding the Flurin patrols had thus far paid for whatever information needed buying.

The day had come and the Flurin caravan had left the city gates. Aramis had let them go, quickly dispatching a runner to take the information of the caravan to the Faith Army. A runner would be faster and more reliable than the pigeons, and the prince wanted to Faith army to be prepared to move. They needed to catch the caravan before it reinforced the soldiers at the mines. The caravan had been gone for several hours before Aramis began the most dangerous part of his plan. With the attack on the mines inevitable, Aramis set his sites on their target. The Flurin force had been fortified well in the city. So well as a matter of fact that the Faith army outside could not risk breaching the walls and facing them head on. Aramis’ force numbered no more than eight hundred, scattered throughout the city and of those many included merchants, spies and thieves. The number of soldiers still loyal to him numbered only five hundred. With such impossible odds, his strikes against the Flurin oppressor were always swift and decisive. Aramis was not interested in a fair fight, and Domianos agreed with his tactics. They could not afford to throw away Faith lives. It was this day that the tactics would change somewhat. Aramis’ plan was bold and potentially dangerous to those involved.

Through the weeks Domianos had earned his prince’s trust and respect. It was for that reason that he was re-instated officially at his old rank. Domianos was now a Captain once again, and ready to prove himself worthy of the task. In the harbor there were now four ships docked; one more than they had initially planned for, but the plan was quick to adapt. The mission Aramis had tasked for them was to raid the four ships in the harbor. His intention was to destroy the ships, and loot whatever they could. The destruction of the Flurin trade ships and the loss of the mines would effectively halt the revenue stream they all knew the Flurin army had been sending back across the sea to their homeland. Without the financial support of the mines, and with the destruction of the ships Aramis hoped to cut off the Flurin General’s ability to fund his army. An unpaid army was bound to turn in upon itself, and it was that dissent that the prince was striving for in every mission.

Domianos sat around the table with the three other captains and his prince. They had just finished going over the final details of their plan, and everything seemed to be in order. The attack would take place as soon as the sun began to set.
”I don’t need to tell you that this attack must go flawlessly. If the Flurin learn of our plan too soon or raise an alarm we could find ourselves trapped on those ships without a means of escape. It is certain that the attack will draw alarm if it not prevented quickly, but as long as we are fast and efficient we should be able to destroy our targets before their reinforcements can arrive. Are there any questions? ” Prince Aramis asked finally, looking at each of his Captains sitting around the table. No one spoke up and the prince stood, satisfied with their answer.

Domianos waited near the docks as the sun finally began to descend. He had been given thirty men in all to command. The ships were docked in the harbor and only had skeleton crews manning them, while the rest of the sailors took leave in port. Domianos and his men were dressed now as common laborers; a common sight in the docks district. As they had hoped their passage through the area had been unnoticed by anyone who cared. Domianos could see the other soldiers move into position similarly disguised. The planks to the ship were narrow, forcing the soldiers to go up single file. It was by far the most dangerous point of the mission. They would have to enter in single file and leave in the same fashion. Four of the men in Domianos’ group carried large kegs filled with oil, but he knew they would have difficulty getting onto the ship.

Each Captain had been given discretion in his approach to boarding the ships. Domianos had already spoken to the other men, and noted their very different approaches. One captain intended to have his men come from the water and scale the side of the ship with hooked gloves and boots. It gave them the ability to climb as a unified group rather than single file. Domianos had believed the method too dangerous, should one of the men make too much noise. The second Captain had intended the use of brute force, charging the plank with his men to secure the ship quickly, and hopefully before the warning bell could be rang. His first priority would be to secure the bell, then dispatch the crew. The third Captain intended to disguise his men as slaves to be transported back to the Flurin lands for a profit. It was well known the Flurin traded in flesh, and it was a strong possibility the captain of any one of these ships would be willing to take on a slaver and his cargo, for a price.

Domianos’ method had been less direct. A half hour before he intended to attack he had gone to the red light district of the city. A place he was not altogether unfamiliar with. With the money he had stolen from murdered Flurin soldiers he hired several women and lead them back to the ship. They were to tell the sailors unlucky enough to be denied shore leave that they had come by request of their captain, and that no compensation was required. Domianos and his men then waited for the few sailors that remained on the ship to become thoroughly distracted before they began their attack. With as much stealth as they could muster without looking suspicious Domianos led the way up the plank, his sword hidden under a thick cloth. He made it to the deck unhindered and quickly fanned out to give his men an opportunity to get aboard. So far his plan had succeeded.

There was not a sailor above deck, and Domianos and his men took the first floor of the ship in moments. The sound of women’s laughter could be faintly heard from the open door than lead below deck. They needed to get the kegs to the lowest level to do the most damage, but Domianos wanted to deal with the crew first. Again he led the way down the steps that lead below deck. The sounds of the women at work gave away the enemy soldiers position easily. Domianos had been on ships before and knew that the crew’s quarters were a large communal room. He stood at the closed door with his soldier’s right behind him. Without a word he turned and gave them a nod, which they returned; the signal to continue. With a shove Domianos knocked the door open his sword in hand. He rushed into the room and in a moment surveyed the scene.

There were twelve sailors here, and each was unarmed and unclothed. The women screamed at the sight of the Faith soldier’s weapons, but it was too late. Domianos moved for the closest soldier as he hastily tried to detangle himself and reach for his sword. The unfortunate man failed to find his weapon before Domianos plunged his sword into his spine. The whore screamed again as the blood began to spread across the filthy blanket. The Faith soldiers moved quickly and effectively. Only four Flurin soldiers managed to reach their weapons while their comrades were butchered helplessly before their eyes. The four that remained could see the hopelessness of their situation. Four soldiers vs. thirty made impossible odds. Before the Faith soldiers could move in to finish them the first soldier threw his sword away and begged for mercy. The other quickly followed his example. The Faith soldiers moved in nonetheless to finish the kill.

”Stop.” Domianos commanded his voice firm but not raised. The soldiers hesitated a moment, until the one in the lead spoke.
”Sir, these men are Flurin dogs. They do not deserve our mercy. If we let them live they will take up arms against us tomorrow.” The soldier protested, though he stayed his hand while he spoke to his Captain. Domianos could see that the other soldiers were generally agreeing with the idea. Still, Domianos shook his head.
”No. They have surrendered and as much as I hate them, I will not kill a man begging on his knees. However, I do understand what you are saying. We can not allow them to rejoin the fight against us. Tie their hands and feet, and then gag them.” Domianos ordered, and reluctantly some of his men obeyed. Within moments the prisoners were tied and gagged.
”I still think this is a mistake. We must eliminate every threat we can.” The Faith soldier persisted. The prisoners had since remained low on the ground, afraid even to meet the eyes of their captors. The women were herded into a corner and kept under guard while eight men went below deck to spread the oil. Domianos remained in the crew’s quarters while the other completed their mission.
”We will, but it will not be their death. Break two fingers on each hand. Ensure that they will not hold a blade again for some time. Then bring them and the women with me above deck.” The soldiers hesitated a moment as they considered their orders. Domianos turned and walked back to the upper deck.

The sun was fully gone from view now, and the harbor had been plunged into a deep darkness. He could hardly see the other ships, but there had been no signal bell rung, which was a very promising sign. Domianos could hear the gagged cried of pain from the prisoners as his orders were carried out. Then, the prisoners and women were all brought to the upper deck at nearly the same time the other eight soldiers arrived.
”It’s done. The fire is set. We should leave quickly.” One of the men reported. He looked at the mangled fingers of their prisoners passively..
”Cut the binds from their wrist and ankles then throw them over the side. It isn’t a far swim to the dock, even with a broken hand. That will give us enough time to escape before they can raise an alarm.”
”What of the women sir?”
”They leave the ship with us. Once we’re on the dock leave them to go their own way. They have served their purpose and I have no quarrel with them. They’ve been through enough already.”

The soldiers began to go about their tasks as the first tendrils of smoke came floating from below. Domianos knew it would not be long now before the flames devoured the base of the ship and sent it to the bottom of the harbor. The still naked prisoners were untied, and then unceremoniously throw overboard. Domianos was now the last one to leave the ship, his men leading the women down first. Once on the dock he turned to the still cowering women.
”I thank you ladies for your service to the cause of the resistance. I suggest you find your way home before the captain of this ship comes around looking for answers.”

The crackle of fire could easily be heard now, and Domianos could see the other ships were in different stages of flames, though each one seemed to have accomplished its given task. The women took the first opportunity to turn and run, their arms trying to conceal themselves as they ran barefoot through the street. Domianos felt slightly guilty for the way he had used them, but then he had achieved his goal without losing a single man, and that was something more valuable to him. With a wave of his arm Domianos signaled for his men to follow him as they disappeared into the streets. The sounds of shouted alarms and calls of fire came from behind them. No one looked back. With the Flurin ships burning in the harbor the debris their huge hulls would leave would make it impossible for more ships to dock. Freeport was now no longer open to sea trade. The Flurin would be forced to spend their resources clearing the ruins away before they could re-supply.
There are always battles to be fought.
I'm just looking for one worthy enough to die in.
Domianos
Stablehand

Postby Strife L. Leonhart » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:09 pm

He moved cautiously as he made his way through the mine. He soon came upon a large opening that was littered with debris and bodies marking the signs of a recent battle. He proceeded slowly as he surveyed the area for any survivors. There were none, or so he thought. It was then that his keen sense of hearing detected a faint sound behind him. It grew in speed and intensity as it moved in his general direction. A whizzing crackling sound?

Strife leaped forwards into a diving roll as a fireball flew past him and exploded as it made contact with the hard stone surface of the wall causing bits of debris to fly in all directions. Strife stayed crouched down with his head down and his hands and arms covering the back of his head. ”You can not be serious!” he thought to himself as he waited for the sounds of falling stone to wan before slowly standing and turning to face his attacker.

He recognized the attire as clearly being that of Flurin. Sapphire eyes accented by anger and annoyance eyed the Flurin Mage. The two simply looked at one another, a playful grin on the Mage’s face. Strife sighed and merely tilted his head slightly in such a way as if to say “Is this going to take long?”

Without warning the Mage sent forth another great shot that came at Strife at such speed and intensity that he nearly did not have enough time to react. Strife took a step back and suddenly leaped into the air, twisting and somersaulting to land facing the mage as the ball of flame narrowly missed him. Without missing a beat, Strife quickly extended a hand in the Mage’s direction in retaliation. A stream of bluish white light shot forth from his fingers and seemed to nearly engulf the Mage’s body. The poor soul spasmed violently as the lightning penetrated and charred his flesh before lifelessly falling to the cold ground.

Strife stood there in silence a moment as if unsure as to whether or not the man would rise to his feet again or if there was another attacker hiding in the shadows of the mines. Finally, seeming satisfied, he ventured father into the depths of the mine as quickly as he could and did not halt his progression for anything until he heard a familiar name.

Vaalic, keep fighting, Vaalic. You’re going to be alright, just don’t give up! the voice came.

”Vaalic? Has he been hurt? he thought to himself. There was no time something must be done. Strife peered around the corner to find an unexpected site.

The Flurin and Faith soilder’s seemed to be in a standstill. Neither side seemed willing to make the first move of retreat. Tension was still high, and the slightest thing could send the field into a killing ground once again.

Strife searched his thoughts for what he could possibly do. Finally, he closed his eyes and began to center himself and strengthen his bond with the world around him. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, a thick fog arouse that shielded the Faith soldier’s from Flurin eyes.
Strife's Thought of the Month:

If a missing person sees their picture on a milk carton that offers a reward, would they get the money?
Strife L. Leonhart
Stablehand

Postby Jasmine_Eclipse » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:45 am

It was a long and strenuous task, but Jasmine stayed at the open hole to help the first Faith soldiers up the rope and escape out of the mines. The first couple soldiers Jasmine had to help by herself proved to be the most difficult, but once Jasmine managed to get a small group up there then it lightened her load considerably. The rope couldn’t hold a lot of weight so only one person could go up at a time which made the escape slower than Jasmine would have liked. The surroundings around the hole were quiet with just the sound of a light breeze through the trees behind her. Occasionally Jasmine looked around for any signs of movement but focused mainly on the task in front of her. Three Faith soldiers stood guard around the hole on guard while everyone else was busy with rescuing people or tending to their wounds.

Eventually all the Faith soldiers climbed up the rope and through the hole, and some with great difficultly. It secretly gave Jasmine some sense of accomplishment and pride that she was able to do that climb by herself without any help. With a slight smile on her face, she focused her attention on the Faith slaves below. This part proved to be the most difficult since most of them were so weak they could barely hold themselves up. There were times that the slaves couldn’t make it so they had to pull them up. Almost all the slaves were out of the mines when one woman fell again. This made everyone lurch forward; forcing Jasmine and the five other men who were holding onto the rope dig their boots into the ground. They managed to stop the rope when they heard an arrow whiz by, striking one of the Faith soldiers in the shoulder. Everyone stopped and turned to see a group of Flurin soldiers charging their way.
”What the hell?!” Jasmine exclaimed, first five Flurin soldiers clashed into the hastily drawn ranks of the Faith. Their rush had sent the Faith soldiers reeling back, as swords clashed. Within moments the fight was moving into the men holding the ropes. The five Faith soldiers that were holding the rope immediately dropped it and went to fight the soldiers that had engaged and wounded their comrades. The rope went flying out of Jasmine’s hands as she tried to grip onto it. The grip on the coarse rope was impossible for her to hold alone, and she was forced to release it and let it plummet into the mines below. ”Khell!” she screamed, though she had no way to know if he could hear her. She knew that Khell and the others were still down below needing help. She contemplated going down to inform Khell of the ambush when two Flurin soldiers began to approach her.

”Everyone away from the mines and into the forest!” she ordered the Faith army away from the hole they just getting out of. They couldn’t have the battle around the hole because they wanted to draw their attention away from Khell and the slaves. The slaves immediately ran into the forest, away from the conflict but some were struck by a volley of arrows, though the Faith soldiers immediately tried to support them as they made their retreat. The rest of the Faith soldiers followed pursuit, with only five soldiers remaining as they were finishing their battle. Jasmine cursed and the first Flurin caught Jasmine’s attention again by slashing his sword along her right arm. She winced in pain and felt foolish that she didn’t pay attention to her surroundings. She stepped back and away from the two Flurin while drawing her dagger. They tried to surround her but she continually moved so they were always facing her, moving towards the trees. She stepped forward and countered attacked at the short skinny Flurin who had just injured her. Her dagger sliced across his right knee cap. He screamed and hunched over, trying not to put any weight on his leg. She leapt forward and stabbed him clean in the abdomen while giving it a twist. His companion tried to stab Jasmine in the side when she turned the corpse towards the attacker as a human body shield. The sword struck his body instead, giving Jasmine the opportunity to kick the corpse forward with the sword stuck in it. Jasmine charged at the unarmed Flurin soldier and after a brief struggle she plunged her blood soaked blade into his throat.

Jasmine took a brief breather and surveyed the scene. The large group had all retreated deep into the forest and she could hear the sounds of metal clashing just slightly ahead. She ran into the forest and noticed the slaves went to the top of a hill, huddled in a circle. The rest of the Faith Soldiers surrounded the slaves, protecting them from the Flurin. They were slowly advancing as Jasmine ran forward through the masses to join the Faith army defends the slaves. Their numbers were even and they were getting surrounded but they weren’t giving up without a fight.

The Flurin army didn’t appear to have any tactics or a plan they just randomly charged in attacking various Faith soldiers. Jasmine stood shoulder to shoulder with the Faith soldier next to her, helping them out when someone came by her. Two men charged at Jasmine when suddenly an arrow whizzed out the forest and stuck the Flurin soldier in the middle of the back. He fell face forward and twitched on the ground. Jasmine looked over to where the arrow came from and she faintly saw Khell concealed on the ground, shooting random unsuspecting Flurin soldiers. A huge sigh of relief came across Jasmine and her heart fluttered, she was so happy to see he made it out alive. She felt guilty from the first second the rope dropped, leaving them stranded in the mine. She hoped he would understand and forgive her what happened. She shook her head and began to focus on the battle again as she began to grow tired. Her multiple wounds started to throb and her old wounds reopened again and started to trickle blood. She focused on the man in front of her, thinking ”You can never give up, you can only rest when this battle is finished..” She took a breath in and slashed the Flurin soldier on the left side of his torso, bringing it across the front. The Faith soldiers still managed to hold the circle together, but some began to fall. The waves of the Flurin army seemed to never end as they defended swarms of men.
There is little in this life that could be said about all things.
A way to view life: in the height of victory, or in the depths of defeat.
"This too shall pass"
Jasmine_Eclipse
Stablehand

Postby Killean » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:47 am

Warren leaned up against the wall after he dispelled the enemy mages repulsion field. His entire chest felt like it was on fire, with sharp stabbing pains every time he breathed in. His first thought was of the location of Jurret, his friend and healer. Even if Jurret was in his sight, Warren doubted that he could shout out his name for help. Warren started to lose his strength to stand and slid down the wall to his rump. His vision slowly began to waver, and Warren knew this meant he could pass out at any moment. He did want to risk the chance of being discovered by any stray Flurin soldier, so now was the time for Warren to return to the staging lines. With firm conviction in this, Warren got on all fours and used the wall to pull himself up. His consciousness was challenged with every labored step that he took.
It seemed like an eternity to reach the complex exit, but Warren’s determination saw him this far. Using his shoulder to prop himself up on the charred and scarred gate frame, he looked back to ensure all was well within. Only a few of the Faith soldiers were visible at the moment, while the rest must have entered the mines. This surprised Warren a little. He had thought the rebels who entered to be numbered more, and the time from which he entered till now was considerably less for that size to squeeze in. Warren didn’t realize until a couple minutes had passed that he was staring blankly in the fort, slowly sliding to the ground again. Taking a deep breath, Warren clenched all his muscles and pulled himself back to his feet. When he was standing under his own power again he gasped, releasing the tension and pain for only but a moment.
The next few moments barely registered in Warren’s mind. The last thing he remembered was taking a step forward, and hearing the sounds of a dragon’s flight somewhere above. When his mind was open to new information, he felt as though he was lying down with the feeling of a refreshing breeze running through his body slowly. As the cool sensation did its work, Warren could feel his chest become lighter, which made breathing much less of a chore. The fog of pain lifted from his mind and he realized that Jurret must have got to him with a curative spell at last. Warren opened his eyes, and managed to shield his surprised response with a tilted head. He had seen this woman only a small number of times around the camp, though he never bothered to get a name to the face. Kitiara snapped her eyes open and looked at Warren with an inquisitive stare.
“Are you feel better?” She asked, making sure that Warren stared directly at her in reply.
“Yes, thank you.” Warren replied, giving her the response she required, though his next set her on the defensive. As he tried to pull himself up, Kit hastily placed a hand just below his throat and gently pushed him back down.
“Whoa! Take it easy. This battle has taken its toll on my power, and I could only take some of your pain away. Your wounds still exist.” Kit raised a concerned tone, which caused Warren to yield any further attempts to get up. Looking about he saw that he was in the forest a ways, surrounded by a few other wounded. Therefore he deduced, he was safe for the moment and could relax.
-神恵「争い」癒す
Killean
Stablehand

Previous

Return to Writers Corner