Veiled Visions (RP)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

Postby Bretina » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:29 pm

His pleas certainly didn't lack in passion, and Bretina was more than inclined to believe that everything Lord Morteron had said was true. She had seen the end of a war in her nightmarish vision that morning. She also had seen no survivors, no victorious armies, so she believed that they would soon be faced with a war beyond any in the recorded history of both countries, not just in the past thirty years as he proposed. What she didn't know was how she could actually help. Her visions only showed possible outcomes, and she hadn't tried to see into the here and now of distant places in so long that she feared she wouldn't be able to help him. As much as she didn't want to admit it to herself, she was drawn to this man's sincerity and concern for their country. She idly toyed with a strand of ebon black hair that had worked itself from her bun, biting her lip.

"I'm sure you didn't intend to offend me, my lord Regent." Long, impossibly pale fingers traced her brow line, massaging along the areas that pained her most. She looked up at him, gazing intently into his eyes for a brief moment as though deciding something, then with an almost imperceptible nod she sank beneath the surrounding reality. It had been years, it was true, but knowledge of how to seek visions was something that she would never forget. In her mind she visualized her body drawing tightly around her center until it was a mere speck and her spirit was all that remained. To any who watched, her body simply seemed to relax and her eyes glazed over slightly, the grey circle around her irises thickening and seeming almost to bleed into the black of her eyes, gaining a more true metallic sheen.

As much as she despised the visions that made her the feared witch-child, there was something exhilarating and wonderful about freeing her spirit from her body in search of that which is hidden to most minds. Beyond the Veil colors were truer, emotions were stronger, sounds were clearer, and every sensation was incredibly intense and beautiful. It was only upon returning to her body that everything became obscure and frightening. For a moment she was tempted by the urge to remain free floating like this forever, but the need to help in the reality that awaited her drew her mind back to its purpose.

'Yugaron...I must see inside Yugaron...' Her spirit drifted closer to the country that supposedly would bring the death of everything she knew, determined to learn the truth. As she reached the border, however, her mind was thrown into a spiraling decent over which she had little control. Fear washed over her spirit as she fought to free herself from the psychic maelstrom. All around her, the eddies of chaos began tearing at the Veil, threatening to rip her mind from her control. In one final burst of energy, she tore herself away. Her spirit, exhausted, tumbled in freefall through the levels of the beyond only catching glimpses of what surrounded her before her spirit was jolted back into her body. Only then did fragmented memories of what she'd seen catch up to her mind.

Two bodies drenched in blood hovered in her vision, one an old man in a monks habit, the other a young girl in a long white dress with flowers at the hem. Two men stood in a doorway, one a younger looking version of the man in her home, the other a bald man with a shark tattooed across his crown and a short beard tied in a bleeding ribbon. Lord Morteron's hands were covered in blood, and his eyes radiated an odd mixture of fear, guilt, and determination. She tried to scream, but found her throat immobilized. A wrenching sensation in her stomach twisted the vision. She could feel her heart pounding as a piercing neigh drew her attention to a black stallion rearing, his hooves beating at the air as the clouds roiled violently overhead. With another whinny, the stallion tore into three parts, each melting until they became three ravens that fluttered their wings and settled onto a fence. 'Stooop!!'

Her eyes almost immediately flashed back to their normal black and Bretina clenched at the edge of her chair. A sheen of sweat coated her features and she was gasping for air. Lord Morteron was watching her with concern, but that didn't stop her from sliding further back into the setee, shrinking from him. She started shivering violently as the near madness she'd experienced sought to catch her, even after she'd re-anchored herself, but her eyes never left Elijah's face.

"You killed them? Who are you??" She fought to hold back the tears, but her mind and body were unable to maintain the control she was accustomed to exercizing. She couldn't even maintain a mental shield in this state, but she also couldn't move any more than she already had to get away from this strange man in front of her. "You seem an odd person to be intent on saving lives."
"Let the dreamers and seers keep watch.
It is what we do."
Bretina
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:14 pm

The accusation pinned him for a moment. Could she really have seen... The black stallion and the ravens were symbols he couldn't place, though he recalled his father had once owned a black steed called Kurall. But the other... The scene flashed up in his mind as fresh as if it had happened only the day before.

The Ferryman.

"You misunderstand.. you must see that..." , his tone urged, but as he reached over to her it seemed she sank even further back into the far side of the couch. He sighed and stood, then paced over to the window and looked outside gathering his own recollections of that day. In truth it had been a blur of action.

"I killed the man. Is such an action still a sin if it is done for a cause. Do the ends justify the means?" His questions were not meant to be answered, but the silence that followed spoke of disbelief from the woman. How could he make her understand?

He composed himself before turning back round and continued in a calm level tone. "I did not kill the girl. But I do not see that I need excuse my past. I did not ask you to read me.", the last words were said with an edge. His eyes sparked with a mixture of grief and anger. As soon as he realised that anger he placed it back in check and it dissipated. "There are many crimes in this world that must be answered, that much I knew from a young age. Someone has to ensure justice. Someone has to make sure that the innocent do not suffer further."

He returned to the seat and looked into her eyes. "This is why I came to you." He continued, trying to put the matter of that day aside. "To prevent the loss of innocent life. I am no saint. That much is true. But I am no devil either. Make of me what you will, but help me if you can. Not for me, for there is no redemption for this soul....", he paused, his eyes looking off to the side. He truly believed that. There was no saving him from this road he had travelled down. But when he turned back his eyes were set with a fierce determination. "But do it for those innocents."
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Postby Senken » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:21 pm

The crys of the town seemed muffled. The burning town houses, markets and harbor were all but smoke and crackling timbers. The invasion was halted by the aid of sea fairing men and women storming the beach and stemming the tide of Yugaron soliders who were now reduced to only small packs of men roaming the street looking for a safe exit from this hell they had created.

Down in the center of Reathin at the crossing roads, a once populated market place filled with stalls and carages. A place where strangers and locals interacted on a daily basis whether from inland or from sea. It was a colorful and thriving heart beat that pulsed it's wealth through out the town giving it life.

It is here in the heart of Reathin a young man stands alone continuing the fight.

Senken could feel his heart thumping as the sweat ran down his face. The fires heat on his skin seemed to work its way deep within his body making him feel as though he were boiling his blood like water in a kettle on a stove.

Stumbled steps became forced steps and then painful steps.

The draw of the blade once more flickering beyond the visble edge of human sight. A Yugaron blade and arm severed clean, followed by a Yugaron head. The fight was all but over, but what now of Senken.
His body injured, his face purple and blue with blood running from the corner of his mouth and his right eye socket swollen and bloodied.

The blade shook as Senken's exhausted arms as they strained to sheath the sword. He couldn't do it.
The sword hit the ground making a hum if vibration before Senken followed it, falling to his knees and began panting for air.
The smoke from the fires was thick and suffercating. Hands pressed to the ground to hold himself from hunching over. Breathing in and out so hard that his lungs began to burn.
The whisle in his heaving chest and the racing thump of his heart started to drown out everthing else.
The blurry vision from his eyes seemed to darken slightly, then darken once more until he could see nothing.
Feeling his elbows giving in to gravity, his body slowly lurching forward until his forehead touched the cobble stone street. And then without warning he went limp and flopped to his side and rolled over onto his back.
He could not move, he could not see and he could not avenge Lilu'a any further.

"How did it all come to this?"

The messenger boy ran from across the street market yelling to all the horror he saw behind the old Shun Ko's sandle making shop.

" He dead, he dead! " the boy called. he was white as a ghost with tears running down his face.
This was not an uncommon thing these days. The revolt had caused much unrest on the three islands of Kotoa'. The pungent smeel of rotting fleash in the summer heat had thin out the usually over crowded street around the sandle maker's shop.

Senken sat only a few block away but he knew full well what had happened. He sat on a stone wall that lined the outer limits of the capital looking out over the river pathway and the small dame. It was silent here with a cool breeze dulling the summer heat. Senken had been sitting in this spot all night. His life was becoming so very complicated so very quickly. Every thing he did seemed to worsen the situation.

Suddenly the silence was broken. A man was standing behind him and slowly swung his leg up and over the wall and came to sit next to Senken in a very friendly manner.

"It is much more calm here dont you think?" the man said to Senken with a strong accent. The low edge of Senken's hat lifed ever so slightly revealing to him that the man was a Yugaron officer probably from the embacy. He was dressed in formal uniform with a large grin on his face.

The Yugaron government had supportiong the Kotoains in the grand rebellion many years ago and had grown into a strong presence on the Island of Oshi. Most Yugaron were shipped in to keep up the ranks to protect a local embacy while some have lived in Oshi for several years. Yugaron was the only country Kotoa' had trade agreements with after the grand rebellion in return for their help.

"Did you hear that Yun toe; the leader of the Black Dragon crime syndicate was found dead this morning behind the sandle makers shop?" The stranger said suddenly.

Senken remained silent for a moment not even breathing. Could he have been found out already? he thought to himself raising his head enough to meet eye to eye with the stranger.

"No, I have not heard such news."

The Yugaron officer sighed to the responce given to him and looked away from Senken to the flowing river before them both.
Senken looked away and down to his lap. He hadn't even notice that his own hand had instinctively graspped the hilt of his sword. So very nervous he had become. He wished so badly that he could turne back time but he can not. Stained he was now, stained with blood not of his own.

"You know, with Yun toe dead and the Black Dragon syndicate fighting over leadership. Oshi owes who ever killed that man a great deal of thanks. More so does the local Yugaron ebacy lord in the Oshi capital."

Senken could not help but turn his head back to this man having now listened to his words of praise for the killer of Yun toe. It was a reaction not expected from such a person. Senken was always brought up not to trust the Yugaron. His father said they were only after a foot hold in Oshi to futher their influence in Kotoa'. His father being Yugaron himself made it hard to argue.
But here sat a Yugaron officer talking of great thanks for the murderer of Yun Toe a localy repected yet feared underword boss.

"If only more brave men like that would take a blade to the rest of those evil men in this country who hold so much sway that even the governments of Kotoa' will not stand against them in fear of rebellion by those many fool enough to support these so called war lords. The revolt ten years ago put an end to the old rule that corrupted this nation. War Lords and clans no longer have their power by law. But still that are seen by so many still as great leaders."

The officer hunched forward putting his hands on his thighs. The way he spoke of Kotoa' was as if it were his own home land. Before Senken knew it he found himself making a quiet reply.

"The Black Dragons are only part of the problem. In Toyochi they have already placed claim to half of the island. The policing committy put place can not handle the ever growing shadow that threatens to over through this fledgling government. The people were not happy in the old days or so I am told. But those days were all they knew and this new world that was fought for so hard is falling apart as we speak. If just one clan were to join with another in Toyochi then the government would be over thrown and the country would be split. It would not take long for the other islands to be taken over by local clans. It is these old clans that form the basis for the crime syndicates to fund them selves. The old order will not leave this land any time soon I believe."

Senken took a deep breath, he had never talked so openly with a complete stranger before. The Yugaron officer was dumb founded with the reel of information this youth gave him. Could all that Senken had said be true? The Yugaron pondered wiping the sweat from his forehead. It was a hot day and having not worn a hat made him feel dry. Constantly licking his lips.

Suddenly the Yugaron man lept down from the stone wall and stood below Senken in his shade. That smug smile had returned to his face as he looked up at Senken.
And then he said never losing that grin, "So how much longer are you going to hide?"

Senken leaped from the wall to the ground drawing his sword with haste and raising it above his head. The officer took a step backwards and raised his hands. He was at Senken's mercy.
But although the situation dictated a possibly fatal conclusion the Yugaron's calmness set an uneasy feeling in Senken's gut.

"Who are you!", Senken demanded.

"I am Jacob Sallis head of the ebacy investigation committy. It is my job to find truth within lies."

"Investigation committy? I dont understand what you were tring to do if not to arrest me and hand me to the Oshi police. Why sit there and talk to me like that if you already knew I was the one who killed Yun toe."

Jacob put his finger to his lips.

"I am not here to arrest you but if you talk out loud like that you will be. I have been following your involvment with the Black Dragon syndicate and it is obvious that you understand much of what is happening in this country even for such a young age. Yun Toe was not your first kill in the ranks of the Black Dragons was it now. In three months you have managed to kill three high ranking members two of which were skilled swordsman. You have some how managed to get away unidentified. Although now it may become harder that Yun toe is dead. He had no real enemies in Oshi making it rather difficult for some to swollow as just a late night robbery. And what do you do with their things afterwards anyway?"

Senken stood in absolute shook as to what he was hearing. Everything he has done and all that he has tried so hard to hide was being spilled out in front of him by a complete stranger he had never seen before. Not to mention that he was not even of Kotoa'.

"You havn't answered me" Senken replied with a harsh and more direct tone.

"Yah yes, the details very well. I have been given strick orders to ask for your assistance by the Yugaron ebacy lord in conjunction with the private affairs department of the Oshi governing body. Simply stating we wish to hire your talents. Are you interested?"

Senken suddenly woke from his dreams. He was still laying lifeless in the streets of Reathin. The ground was shaking as yet another building feel, covering the street with masses of burning rubble.

Try as he might he simply could not find the strength to move beyond rolling onto his side. His blurred stair could not make out all that way happening around him. His eyes shifted to his Kotoain sword laying beside him. He could not even grasp it's ray skin handle............ Was this it? Was this all that could be done? Senken slowly drifted back into his mind losing all conscienceness to the reality around him.
Senken
Stablehand

Postby Bretina » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:57 pm

"Do it for the innocents?" Bretina's shivers had begun to diminish as her body and mind became more certain of their surroundings and safety, and little by little she slid forward in her chair as her body became an animated extension of her words. "People always want to do good and noble things for the innocents, but the faces they see when they think of that wonderfully political term are those of their own loved ones. How often can we say that the people we know really are innocents? How often can you say that you've done something to actually help the real innocents of this country who need you?" She turned her head to the side, staring intently at the doorway leading into the hall, but brushed the odd sensations that had first attracted her attentions aside to continue.

"How often do people turn out the innocents here when they are starving and alone? Why do we only care about the innocents when it will save our own skins as well?" The anger and hurt in her voice could not be mistaken, and for the first time in years her face gained some color as her cheeks flushed and remained that way. For all her ire, she knew she would help him in any way she could, no matter what his past showed him to be. That, of course, was part of the origin of her anger, and she wasn't ready to stop being angry with him. Her dark eyes flashed as she sought another topic on which her irritation could feed.

"I'll have you know I risked my mind to try and help you this evening. Seeing into your past was the last thing on my mind when I nearly lost my spirit near the border. I had to latch onto something to ground myself, and you happened to be the closest thing to my physical body. The least you could do is be grateful that I still have a mind so that you can beg me for aid." She sighed, her body visibly relaxing. Her temper was fierce but always short-lived. The pounding in her head wasn't helping matters in the slightest, but the calm in which she'd spent most of her years soon fell over her once again.

"I don't know how much I can help you with that storm surrounding Yugaron, but I will try." There was a gentle tapping at the servant entrance to the parlor, and then Serina quietly entered and whispered in Bretina's ear.

"We found our young guest." She pointed at the hall door and smiled. The lady gave her maid a nod, then stood and glided in near silence to the cracked open doorway. With a suddeness that startled even Serina, she flung the door wide open and grabbed Antal's sleeve with a soft chuckle.

"You know, young sir, it's not polite to eavesdrop, but since you've been listening to what's been going on, you might as well join us. Serina, get the boy something to eat other than this vile fish the cook sent out earlier, and our tea has more than likely cooled to the point of being unpalatable, so fetch us a new pot." She turned a warm smile on the child, hopeful that she hadn't scared him too much, but still enjoying her little trick.

"Now, care to tell me what you were doing climbing my walls earlier this day? Typically it's more customary to knock or enter through the gates."
It is what we do."
Bretina
Stablehand

Postby Six » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:38 pm

The Yugaron line, such as it was, crumbled under the advance of Six and her crew. They took to the beach with whirling steel, their assault illuminated with the hellish glow of Six's magic. As they came into the town proper, the elementalist began to issue the neccesary orders: Gather the fallen. Extinguish the fires.

Armed patrols fanned out into the streets, cutting down Yugaron soldiers wherever they lingered. It was going to be a long night, and the morning would doubtless hold it's own special horrors as they worked to sort out this mess.

It was Six herself that found the Kotoain boy, laying in the street in the town square. Around her, the crew of the Inferno worked to hem in the spread of the flames set by the invaders. Slowly, one hard-earned foot at a time, they pushed back the ravenous fire.

The Princess rested one hand on the pommel of her sword. She had called the rain, but it looked as though it would be a little while getting here. In the meanwhile, she did what she could elsewhere while considering what to do next. Curious, she reached down and plucked Senken's blade from the ground. She was, at least vaguely, familiar with the sort.

Turning it over in her hands, she stumbled onto the catch. The hilt twisted, releaseing the blade to hang from it's chain. Not, Six considered, something I would be inclined to try and use. Snapping it back together, she gave Senken a quick looking-over. The boy had definetly been spending quality time with the Yugaron, to judge from the ass-beating he'd been given. Of course, from the bits and pieces laying near by he'd given better than he'd got this time. Shoulda seen the other guy? Yeah, he's right over there...and there. And I think I see a hand, waaaaay over thataway...

Weaving with Water and Earth, she staunched the flow of blood pouring from Senkin's wounds. That, she considered, ought to hold him for now. As she stood up and looked around. The rain began to fall.

The crew gathered the fallen, Senken among them, and took them indoors. The Inn was still standing, and it would make a suitable enough sick-room in the meanwhile. She kept the Sword of Rain, at least for the moment...from what she'd seen it wasn't likely he'd be too happy to wake up without his weapon, but she'd be infinitely happier if he didn't wake up and start slaughtering people under the general impression that the war was still going on.
~~~~~
On my oath, I am not a violent man...
~Sergeant Jackrum, Monsterous Regiment (Terry Pratchett)
Six
Stablehand

Postby A Lurking Horror » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:45 pm

The creature slithered back in, taking care not to be seen. That was, after all, the whole point. Not that it was still hunting, of course...the Mistress had seen to that. It was well fed. She always knew where to find edible food.

So, having little else to do, the Horror contented itself to investigate this mysterious other creature that She had apparently decided not to kill. She did that sometimes, much to her pet monster's concern. Oh well.

Maybe she was saving him for later.

The foul beast curled up on their guests feet and drooled all over them.
~~~~~
Brraaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnns...
~Various Zombies
A Lurking Horror
Stablehand

Postby Julian Hale » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:41 pm

Julian nonchalantly rolled the gold coin across his knuckles, lost in thought. The maid from Lusoth's keep had been a dead end - ready to blame Lady Svetos for every instance of bad fortune to come Dornaron's way since Julian's Father had been a babe. Anything to please him. And when she sobered up, fear seemed to still her tongue. Not that it mattered. She knew nothing of any use and Julian had quickly lost interest in her. It seemed the Lady of Yugaron would be a little harder to figure out then he had anticipated.

Kendrel was flanked by two woman, scantily clad and seemingly enflamed with an insatiable desire for the guard. Their hands were communicating this knowledge to him even now - although he was drunk enough to bed anything with two legs at this point. The girls' eyes still managed, however, to track the dance of Julian's gold coin.

'What about that one?'

Kendrel slowly emerged from his own little private 'tug-o-war'.

'She looks a little like that... what do they call her? That Lass of Yugaron?'

The guard turned slowly, nearly toppling from his chair, and squinted at the object of Julian's attention. When Kendrel replied, his speech was slurred.

'Sv- Svetos?', there was a long pause as he swayed in his seat and his companions tried to regain his attention, 'S'pose'.

'Wouldn't that be something'.

Kendrel was silent for a while before the words registered. He smiled.

'Got friend 'n recordsh... She's aint sho royal Lady'.

Julian studied the guard for a heartbeat, then rose to his feet. Motioning the third woman over he spilled a number of coins onto the table. More than enough for all three.

'I better call it a night - I haven't your staying power, friend'.

Julian slipped a burly figure another gold coin as he left the establishment.

'Look after him'.

Kendrel did not even notice Julian leave.
Julian Hale
Stablehand

Postby Antal Mohan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:29 am

He had just been getting ready to sneak away from the door, having noticed a little too much silence after the maid had said that they had found him. Still, just as he was about to turn, the door flew open, and his sleeve was grabbed.

He was in awe. No one had gotten the drop on him as she had done. He always caught others by surprise, a trick that seemed to annoy his caretakers very much. But she had gotten him. It was amazing.

First was the very short speech of his rudeness, and then she was already inviting him to sit in on this strange meeting, and to actually be fed! What kind of a witch shows such politeness? Antal giggled slightly as he was led into the room, eyeing a nice comfortable chair to finally sit in.

Then she asked him about the wall, and his face flushed. He knew they both would see this, but he could not help himself. It was too embarassing, and she was so kind. He wondered how he could dance his way out of this situation, and still stay on her good side.

The truth, of course.

He looked up at Bretina, and locked eyes with her before he started to speak. He wanted to hide nothing from her while he was explaining, he was not so sure if she could tell as easily as the rumors claimed, but he was positive that she would at least be able to read his child's face.

"Milady, I climbed the wall to prove the town's rumors wrong. I tend to add a bit of flair to my actions when trying to show my friend's that they are simply being stupid children. My thoughts were to climb the wall, and shout out at your manor, challenging you. To show them that you were not this witch that they believe you to be, by simply allowing them to see that you did not swoop from your window on a broom, and capture me for your late night sacrificial ritual."

He then looked down at the ground, even more nervous than before, " You see, I had faith that they were lies, but my friends may believe them to be true, since I somehow lost my footing atop your wall. I am afraid that I have actually caused more harm to your name, and I was only trying to clear it."

He looked back up, tears in his eyes, "I am so sorry, Milady! You have shown me only kindness, and have shown even more for this weird old guy, and I have simply been a stupid kid!"

He dropped down to one knee, his hands clasped before his face, a desperate look in his eyes, "Forgive me, pretty please?"

He looked away from her for just a moment, his eyes landing on this other man. Maybe he was being a fool again, but he felt a slight wave of anger for what this man had asked of Bretina. Antal already knew that this woman had powers, but they were not even a quarter of what the rumors claimed. Add to the fact that she admitted to being unparacticed, and it made her powers dangerous to only her. This man had asked her to use her powers well beyond her own limits. Antal did not like it.

Then again, maybe he just thought she was really pretty and was jealous of the man whom had her attention for so long. Antal was not sure it mattered, either way.

It took less than a second for all of that to transpire, and he turns his eyes back to the grey-rimmed coal eyes that decorated her face. He truly looked at them, and was in awe. He felt he was finally seeing her. The first time since she had allowed him into her home he was really seeing her.

He could not tear his eyes away from hers, the fascination filling his mind. He wanted to see all that she would allow him to see, but he was positive that she would not let him see her for much longer.
Antal Mohan
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:27 pm

Anger? That had surprised him. He had appraised the boy quickly when Bretina had yanked him into the room, but at that glare, he had looked again. He smiled inwardly. Either this lad was naturally protective of his recent carer, or..... or what? Jealousy? Surely not.

He shrugged as he thought on the other thing he had spotted. The boy looked quite like he had done at the age of.. he guessed eleven, maybe twelve.. except for one major difference. The eyes. If he had not been mistaken, one had been blue, the other green.

He was sure he'd read something about that, in a book in the Ivory Hall in Krysthian. He tried to recall it, but it flittered beyond the grasp of his mind. He made a note to check up on it later, perhaps before the meeting.

At that thought he glanced at a grandfather clock in one corner of the parlour, it's pendulum softly clicking away the time. It was time to go. He still had a few hours spare, but in all honesty he felt shamed by the Lady's previous words. He found himself standing to walk over to where the Lady still stood over the kneeling boy. "My Lady Traimon. If I may interject a moment."

He saw the playful smile slip from her lips as she turned to look at him. "I do believe I have outstayed my welcome. Forgive me the discomfort I've caused you this day." He paused to remove his signet ring, a plain gold band with a rounded seal bearing the red rose and sword crossed. His Uncle's coat of arms.

He stared at it a moment, before boldly taking her hand and placing it within, using his other hand to close her slender fingers about it. Then he caught her gaze and held it. "If you should ever find yourself in need within these lands this ring will not leave you wanting. Keep it safe."

He released her hands, but held her gaze a moment more, then lowered it to the kneeling boy. It was strange to find two such distinctive gazes under one roof at one time. Finally he nodded "Young Master." Then bidding them both farewell he stepped out into the hallway, closing the door behind him.

After collecting his coat and hat, he stood outside the manor, looking one last time over the dilapidated estates. He was about to turn and walk to the carriage when he saw it.. there.. alighting upon an old Fairweather Oak. A raven, staring intently at him. No.. I'm imagining things.

He shook his head as he departed the Grey Lark Estates. He had to concentrate. It was two hours to Krysthian and he had much still to prepare.
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Postby Darien » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:53 pm

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

The sound was, by and large, the only one within the grand study of one Darien Coteza, the youngest and perhaps, at least in his own mind, most distinguished member of the Phaereti Council. The clock was actually a rather fitting device for this chamber - ancient, oakwood library style bookshelves that lined all four walls, outlining the window that looked out into the encroaching night. There was a dsesk, a leather chair, and a figure sitting in it, leafing through pages that had been sealed into a envelope, which lay opened with its contents spilled across the immaculate desk of the Councilmen. Currently, he was reading a further letter that was contained within, and shaking his head.

So it has come down to this? Typical treachery among the Yugaron...now that, he had come to expect. But there were still some....more archaic footings that one must not tread on, and they were getting rather a bit...too forward, in his opinion. He had not maintained as a member of the Council for ten years by being ignorant of the underlying currents, especially the political ones. He would not, however, voice his opinons aloud - but he felt that the time for change was rapidly drawing close.

He set the letter down, and picked up a quill pen of his own, drawing a fresh sheet of paper from a desk drawer, and setting it down, and then looked at it thoughtfully for a time.

The clock continued to merrily tick away seconds of his life, before his pen finally dipped into the ink well, and began to put his thoughts to paper.

Dearest Councilman,

I have recieved your letter. I feel it would be in the best interests of all parties if you would kindly come to my estates as soon as possible, that we may discuss these findings. I await your reply.

-Lord Coteze XI

He carefully folded the paper in his precise manner, and took a fresh envelope to send it off in. He would, in due time, find someone to deliver it - for now, he would sit in thought over the ponderings of a fellow council member.

The clock ticked on.
Darien
Stablehand

Postby Laurion » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:53 pm

The strange man stopped in his tracks, and looked behind him, careful and yet, somehow, coldly. Obviously, the creature had something on its mind; it had spoken to him when it had chosen to not speak before, possibly, under its own terms. He had halfd a mind to ignore it - it was in now way or shape of any import to him or his intended goal in this journey. Somehow, though...he felt that impolitenesss in this one special case could be rewarded with much unpleasentness, and he was in no mind to provoke any further confrontation. Even so - it did not need to know everything, and in asking such a simple question, something would be revealed that he had no intention of disclosing at this point.

"I travel west and south, obviously, in seek of the kingdoms that lie that direction, creature." He stated, rather unfeelingly, careful to not let his generally icy and unkind nature seep into his words. He regarded the.....woman, he decided, with a practiced glance that told him what he thought he needed to know of it. In this case, it provided nothing; he had never encountered one such as her before. "And of you? What is one such as you doing alone out in this frozen wasteland? Passing through?" He inquired, his curiosity getting the better of him. He turned fully around, and faced the stranger.
Laurion
Stablehand

Postby Lusoth Gorsynth » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:48 pm

He brought the cup to his lips and blew gently on the hot liquid cooling it just slightly before sipping. The tea was a welcomed change of pace from the typical brandy he had been drinking each night. It provided a different sort of warmth, but warmth nonetheless.

The list of possible candidates for the Intelligence Officer was anything but surprising. They held some of the most recognized names in the Yugaron government which defeated the entire purpose.

The names scribbled on the leaflets were old news. Lusoth, even in his exalted position, could gather information better and more discretely than the fools on the list. Sighing he flipped through the pages again then stopped on the page provided by Councilman Regnor. A name he did not completely recognize. It was familiar, but the reason for the familiarity escaped him. Jylan Eris. It was an unusual name.

"Kendrel," Lusoth called out. The other guard opened the doorway and stepped in. "Where is Kendrel?"

"He called in sick this evening, m'lord. Is there something I can help you with?"

Kendrel's absenteeism was now becoming a concern. In the past four years, the most trusted gaurd had missed exactly two days. Both were family emergencies, but this was different. In the past three days Kendrel had missed all of them. Lusoth shook it off and looked up at Kendrel's replacement. "Yes, there is. I would like you to head to the historian's keep and find anything you can on Jylan Eris," Lusoth cleared his throat slightly, "and I would like to know where Kendrel has been and with whom he is cavorting."
Lusoth Gorsynth
Stablehand

Postby Elijah Morteron » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:14 am

The little wooden horse looked almost fragile in his hands. It was beatifully crafted, every single line in the mane etched clearly, the flow of the limbs as clear and smooth as if they had always been there. He loved that horse. His father had made it for him with his own hands.

He looked up with awe at that man, sitting in his rocking chair by the fire, idly smoking a pipe of tabac, his features as chiseled as if they too had been carved, but from stone. His father turned to him then, as if sensing his son's eyes on him and smiled.

His mother called from the kitchen that supper was ready. The smell of spices and cooked meat mingled in the air with the tabac smoke.

The next five minutes were hell itself. A harsh knock at the door preceded it's breaking open as three men in the livery of Yugaron High Guard barged into the home. His father was on his feet at once. His voice strong and his bearing proud as he questioned them.

They did not listen, but after an all too brief struggle had the man in chains. The boy ran to aid his father, instinct bringing the wooden horse around to strike at the nearest shin. It shattered uselessly and he recieved a stinging blow to his head that knocked him almost into the fireplace, the leg of the horse rolling from his hand and into the fire.

He saw it burn there as tears welled in his eyes. He screamed for his mother. But was not prepared for the betrayal.

As he looked up at her standing near the kitchen door he did see tears, but there was also a look of duty, of determination. She said nothing, pointing instead to her husband's desk. A brief search brought forth bundles of letters.

Up till that point his father had been struggling, but now, all fight had gone out of him. His eyes glistened as he glanced at his wife, then saved his last lingering look for his beloved son. "Do not forget me and forgive your mother."

They were the last words he would ever hear his father say.

All was silent for a long while after his father was taken away. When finally his moved over to touch him, he pulled away, and with one last look at the remnants of the wooden horse, was gone, bolting out at a run through the back door and across the field. His mother shouted after him "Elijah! Please! I had to! Please! Come back!"

They were the last words he would ever hear her say.

Elijah woke as the motion of the carriage changed. They were no longer travelling across a dirt path, but had started over cobbled stone streets. Looking out of the carriage window, he saw that dusk had passed, and by the bearing of the two moons it was an hour after.

He yawned and stretched before sticking his neck out of the window to call to his driver. "Straight to the High Tower and do not delay." Then he craned his neck back to call to one of his guards. "I need one of you to go to the Library. Call on Ector Van Orille and inform him that Regent Morteron wishes his presence at the High Tower in my chambers there. Tell him to bring Abram's Historia and Laurel's Grimoire Arcana." He watched as one of the guards peeled off, then pulled his head back inside.

He thought on ravens and horses and on duty.

He thought of his father and then his mother.

And then he said quietly to himself. "I didn't forget you. And I forgive you."
"I give hope to men, I keep none for myself."
Elijah Morteron
Stablehand

Postby Old Tomarchius, The Red » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Old Tom uncoiled gracefully from the cool confines of the cavern, turning to give a low bow of his head to the proper resident. "Always a pleasure, my lady." he rumbled, stretching his wings out in the setting sunlight. It had been a most constructive day, filled with interesting new news and the delightful conversation of a properly executed courtship.

Then, of course, there were the Other Things. Girls these days! Of course, Tom was hardly guiltless in the matter. To be fair, it wasn't the old days, and to be frank the old red lizard honestly enjoyed certain things about these days. Being a dirty old man had it's perks.

He yawned hugely, crimson lips stretching back over rows of ivory fang. The chilly air felt good, particularly with the pleasant contrast of the fadeing sunlight's warmth. The yawn terminated in a sleepy smacking, and he considered the virtues of a nap before dinner versus dinner before a nap.

Sniffing the air, he weighed the options before coming up square on a round peg. One of the Sisters, a Drin'athai and her Companion. Coming this way. Most curious. Most of them were settling down for the night by this hour.

Settling low to the ground, he followed the scent to find the source. The Little Ones were interesting people, and he had typically enjoyed interacting with them.

This, given the suspicious edge, promised to be even more interesting.
~~~~~
"You want to fly, dontcha? To fly you need diamonds, and to get diamonds you rob dwarf mines!"~Uncle Smergol, The Flight of Dragons
Old Tomarchius, The Red
Stablehand

Postby Visitor » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:53 pm

Visitor smiled. Watching this human told her a great many things...his words told her that this was more than he had intended. In answer to his question, she shrugged artfully and in a wry voice replied "I am hardly alone, o' Killer of Men. Frozen this land is, but hardly waste."

She approached a few steps, swinging out in an arc so as to give him his space while circling around. "As to what I am doing here, I am following you am I not?" she countered, playfully. It was true enough, for the moment...and otherwise, she wasn't 'doing' anything. Unless you counted 'Staying Home'.
~~~~~
'Cause all I wanna do, is have some fun,
Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard...

~Sheryl Crow, All I Wanna Do
Visitor
Stablehand

Postby Bretina » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:48 pm

Bretina stood staring at the hallway door for a moment before turning her attention and a new, if somewhat weaker, smile on the boy. The evening was wearing on, and she was uncertain of so many things after such a strange day. The only surety was in her splitting headache, but for the moment she chose to ignore the pain. Certainly if this child could hold her gaze for as long as he had in the minutes prior to Lord Morteron's departure, he would see that, but she would do her best to prevent direct eye contact.

"Come, Antal. Let's go see what the cook has for us in the kitchens." She turned and opened the servant door, focusing on a point just above the boy's head when inviting him to follow her. The corridor was small, but not uncomfortably so. Bretina had played in these servant passages as a child, and knew them well. They were thickly carpeted to prevent the movements of the servants from disturbing those within the house, and well lit by candles in sconces along the walls. The walk from the parlor to the kitchen was actually quite a short one, and soon Bretina and her guest were standing in the midst of servants and cook's helpers who stared at them in silence.

"Has it really been so long since I've visited the kitchens that you'll all must act shocked to see me here?" Her lips twitched at the corners drawing them into a smile. "Master Antal and I were just checking to make sure you were preparing real food...like sweet cakes and milk sweetened with a touch of honey. No more of this dried gumsnipe foulness."

"I'm three steps ahead of you Lady." The cook stepped from the pantry with a tray of sweetbreads and other treats which she placed with a flourish on the counter. Bretina smiled down at Antal and offered him one of the tall stools that she once sat on while eating similar foods. She took a small slice of sugar drizzled cake and turned her attentions to Ruth.

"See to it that the Master has all he needs, and let Dr. Wilkerson know he's in the kitchen. I have a feeling that the good physic would prefer if his charge stayed the night for further observation. Perhaps you should send word to his family to alert him that he is safe and in the care of a doctor." Bretina paused. Antal had mentioned that his friends were likely to believe she was performing some sort of sacrifice with him, and it was just as likely that their parents and his would agree. "Try to word it such that they won't try to break down my door in the middle of the night."

"Yes, my lady. I know some of the villagers. They should trust me at least that far." Bretina smiled weakly, trying not to wince as her brain suffered another searing bolt.

"Well, my lord, you are welcome to come and go as you please. I'd prefer that one of my servants know where you are at all times just in case your head wound causes you problems, but beyond that you have the freedom to wander my estate. The night will grow cold, so if you choose to explore outdoors, I recommend you start there. The sun should go down within the hour. I, sadly, must retire. This has been a harrowing day for me, and I fear that the coming days will bring me even less peace." She curtsied low, as her aunt had trained her to do for the highest echelons of nobility, giving the boy a mischevious grin before standing and leaving the kitchen through a different set of servant passages.

Once in her room, she quickly let her hair down, easing of of the tension on her scalp, but the pain didn't lessen. She blindly removed her gown and dressed for bed before a final bolt of fire seared away her consciousness. She fell into the bed and drifted into the world of dreams and visions.
It is what we do."
Bretina
Stablehand

Postby Antal Mohan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:41 pm

The low curtsy caught him by surprise. He knew it only too well, but he had vainly hoped that she would not have caught it when they had talked. He hoped the servants had not caught any of it, thanks to her little smile to him at the end.

He shrugged, grabbed a couple more of the sweetbreads, flashed a smile at the nearest cook and plunged outside into the lovely Garden that Bretina had suggested he explore. He only stopped just before the outside door, and looked over at a young female servant and mumbled something about going outside, through a mouth full of food. She apparently understood him, so he did not hesitate another moment before beginning more of his exploring.

The house may have been boring, but the outdoors were never boring to Antal. He would quickly find out that he would not be disappointed with Bretina's huge garden. It was one of the most beautiful, and seemingly exotic places the child had ever been privy to see. He saw flowers and plants that he had never seen before, and many more that he had never known existed.

At one point in his exploration, Antal had simply stopped to stare at a flower, and realized the marked differences between the manor, and the garden. Bretina seemed to love and enjoy being out here, whereas she did not care much for the house, other than it being a roof over her head, and the proper place for a Lady of her stature to greet her guests. It was quite interesting.

The Lady was correct, though. It was getting dark too quickly, and Antal was starting to feel the need of a jacket. He was sure he should head inside, but he yearned to stay out here for much longer. He just knew that he could not do such a thing.

Sighing softly, he walked back inside, gently closing the door behind him. He was greeted by the same servant he had mumbled to before he left, and she quickly went about making him comfortable. She had a nice fire going in the fireplace, and had retreated to the kitchen to get him some hot tea. He was left alone in the parlor, his curious eyes still wandering around. They finally settled upon a bookshelf near the couch, and Antal quickly went with his rather dull impulse. Well, he considered it dull, after a day of getting to know whatever he wished to know about the Grey Lark Estate, reading a book was not the same type of adventure.

Still, it was just as enjoyable when he spotted a book of history of the Estate. He would have too much fun bragging to his friends about his little adventure here, and he hoped he would be welcomed back for visits with the Lady. Yes, he may have a little bit of a crush on her, but he was certainly smart enough to realize that it would be just a crush. He just hoped to turn it into a friendship with her, as he felt he would have need of her guidance in the future. Nothing like what Elijah had asked, but just simple advice.

These vague thoughts, and a bit of boredom with the dry writing of the history lulled the boy into a peaceful sleep before the young servant had even made it back to the parlor with the tea.

She smiled down at the young man, trying to decide whether she should take him back to the stuffy room, or leave him in this place that he apparently felt the most comfortable. She decided for the latter, removing the book from his limp hands, and laying a warm blanket over him. She smiled even broader, hoping for a day that she would be able to do this regularly. If only The Lady would find a right proper gentleman to wed.
Antal Mohan
Stablehand

Postby The Messenger » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Water dripped in the still darkness. Just once, the sound discrete unto itself against the total absence of anything else.

"When?" came the word, breaking the perfect stillness.

The voice was harsh, tinged with impatience and ill-suppressed petulance. Female, from the pitch, but so withered and twisted it could hardly be called feminine anymore.

"Soon." came the reply. The tone was cool, almost condescending. He knew who he was dealing with, and held all the cards. Doubtless, had she her way, he would be torn to ribbons and scattered across the Sands to dream of nothing for the rest of eternity. Rank, fortunatly, had it's priveledges.

She lacked rank.

"Not soon enough."

"Come come, my dear. We have a party to plan. Please tell me you can be civil for at least that long?"
The Messenger
Stablehand

Postby Eradik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:43 pm

As the sun fell and the moons rose into the night sky, Eradik took a deep breath and sheathed his daggers. They would need to be sharpened after the action they had seen this evening. Each and every one of his muscles ached; muscles he didn't know existed. Normally his job was quick and silent. It was never a test of endurance, but this was definitely not the normal "job" that he encountered. He shrugged and looked at the dead in the streets. Some where caused by his hand, but the majority were the work of the cannon balls and crumbling buildings.

The town was caught unprepared for such an assault and there was little tactical reason for the attack. The soldiers were not here to pillage and they took no prize from the small, undermanned fort. Their escort had fled mid-battle leaving the troops stranded. He puzzled over this move, if it was done so deliberately by the Yugaron Government.

The inn was one of the few building still standing with enough space to hold the wounded and dieing. Eradik knew before he entered that no space would be spared for him to lay down and rest his weary body. A relatively well-designed triage was setup in the main foyer and he knew that his room would also be occupied. He just hoped that his belongings were relatively unscathed.

As he moved his way up the creaking steps that were drowned out by the screams and cries, Eradik noticed his chess piece tipped over in the middle of the hallway. Reaching down he picked up the pawn and placed it in his pocket. He pushed the door open to his room. A nurse looked up at him and asked if he needed some assistance. Ignoring the question he moved past her and opened the dresser drawers and found a shirt remaining. Peeling off the soiled tabard he discarded it into a corner with the pile of used bandages.

The shirt was clean, but he was not. He wanted the bath that he would not get here. Looking behind the door for his silk suit, it was no longer there. Shaking his head he noticed that the bandages on the wounded matched the material of his tailored clothing. He sighed.

There was time, but he needed to move from this place. It stunk of death and decay. The Manor, he thought. I guess I should head back. It has been nearly four months.

There was nothing left to carry with him other than his daggers around his belt, his bow and one remaining bundle of arrows that fit neatly in his quiver. He reached into his pocket and grabbed onto the pawn then the coin purse.
Stay for me there! I will not fail
To meet thee in that hollow vale.
Eradik
Stablehand

Postby Inge » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:37 am

Drengen fluttered just ahead of her as she climbed over the craggy rocks that surrounded the dragon caves. He knew that he couldn't do much to prevent her from falling, nor could he do much to protect her from the other beasts that lived in the wilder regions of the mountains if she was attacked, but he seemed to feel better if he was, at the very least, in the line of fire and able to alert her to dangers. Inge appreciated his concern, and appreciated even more that his eyesight was far more keen. As such he could pick out the fissures in the rocks that were best for hand and footholds. She was only a few feet away from the top of the rock ridge, so her companion flew the remaining distance and hovered, keeping a close eye on her.

Naturally the poor little dragon was unprepared for the warm breath that blew across his membranous wings since he'd had his back turned. He only caught a brief glimpse of something terribly large and red before he fell out of the air in a combination of fear and wonder. Fortunately, his wits didn't completely fail him, and his bifurcated tail curled quickly around Inge's shoulders. If he'd been anything but a runt, she likely would have fallen along with him, but as it was, she barely felt a tug on her upper body. As Drengen righted himself and climbed up her back, Inge eyed the large dragon who stood watching her climb. He looked far more ancient than any of the elders she'd ever met in her previous visits to their mountain homes.

She wasn't sure how long she'd stared at him, not moving and certainly not speaking, but after a while, he offered her one of his clawed feet, which she eagerly grabbed. What would have taken several more minutes of climbing was ended in mere seconds as he (she was pretty sure the dragon was a he) lifted her and placed her on the other side of the rock face.

"Thank you." She smiled up at the red dragon as Drengen finally got the nerve to try flying again and let go of her shoulders. "I don't think I've met you before, so I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Inge, and this is my soul companion, Drengen. I was going to call for an elder, but you look like you'd do quite nicely. Not that you look terribly old or anything. Well, you do, but in a good way, if you know what I mean. Anyhow, you're here so I don't need to call for someone else." Her brilliant green eyes settled on the older dragon's eyes so she could transmit what she'd heard so briefly on the winds.

"You see I don't know what it was I heard just a while back since it was over-mountain noises, and I've never been allowed to go over the mountains, but I figured that a dragon who had been around for a while might know what I heard." That said she sent the sounds and the sensation of dark intent that accompanied them, and looked up at the large dragon intently, her face alight with eager interest and hope that he could solve her little mystery.
The wind whispers...
Inge
Stablehand

Postby Aeyliea » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:35 pm

She rested...and drifted....but rest can only take one so far. Not long after her hand fell away from the wound she had been inflicted - now healed, no longer disfugured but an angry red on her dull gronze skin - then she woke truely, and sat up once more.

Doran remained where he had stopped before, his eyes alert for threats as though he were her gaurdian, though such could never be the case for his Caste was too far gone from hers for him to even really be able to associate with her. Dire times, however, required dire measures.

For a long moment she listened. Much had happened, apparently, since she had fallen into the trance of rest. She could hear other voices in the inn where there had been none before, and maybe....just maybe, the glyph on her door had been the only thing to keep the intruders at bay. She would of course need to leave this place with great haste, for she doubted that any of these newcomers would understand her, or see her as anything less than a beast. She gathered her strength, and took her feet carefully, aware of her injury only being fixed, but not healed and stil lquite vulnerable to rebreaking. Doran stirred from his standing torpor, and looked at her, not saying a word.

"We leave now...before the others come and attempt to do what that man has allready tried." She hissed under her breath, and then took a few steps, then a few more, grabbing for her staff and only then walking to the window overlooking the town beyond.

The street was filled with the wounded and gaurds, as well as dead Yugaron soldiers. How to cross such a place unseen, would probably have stumped any other person...but a Shaman had the ability to do so. It wasn't any easier than binding her own wound, but it was feasable.

She touched the other Rakan lightly, and felt the air change about the both of them...a light breeze, and both of them faded from each others sight, and truely, from anyone elses.

"The Ra protect us....let us leave this place hastily." She whispered, and then opened the window and gingerly climbed out, and helped the other Rakan out as well.

Now they were on the streets, unseen by any other for the simple magic that she worked, and were heading out of the town where they could hope for an escape. Another town they would have to go to in order to seek out what she sought.
Ordo de Draconas
Save the world, so you don't have to save yourself.
You save the world, so you don't have to look at yourself.
Aeyliea
Stablehand

Postby KillianLeonhart » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:30 pm

Ashton patiently made his way through the corridor. He never tired of the sound his boots made as they connected hard with the cold marble floor of his parent's estate. The hall was dark save for what little candlelight illuminated the surrounding walls causing seeming less obstacles to appear in an almost ominous way. The halls were lined with doors, lavish tapestries of burgundy, gold and various paintings of several generations of the Kendricks men.

Ashton looked fully capable of handling trouble for which reason trouble usually gave him a wide berth. He was a tall man of twenty-six, toned, who carried himself with an easy elegance. Handsome, refined, attractive to women, he moved with a grace that seems to come naturally to him as he made his way towards his destination. He had short dirty blond hair accompanied by green eyes that were almost emerald in color and was a very clean-cut clean-shaven individual. He wore a black suite, his color of choice, accented with bits of white, silver and wore a calve-length coat, the later bellowing behind him in an almost lifelike appearance.

Ashton had a way of keeping a shadow of mystery about him and that was the way he wanted it. His face was usually absent of emotions and most would describe him as a very distant very aloof and detail oriented individual. After graduating at the top of his class from Langston Academy at the age of 18, he attended V. Butler Law School were he majored in Criminal Law and graduated at the age of 24. Since then he has made quite a name for himself seeing as how he has yet to lose a single case. The later is what has brought him back to the estates, a dinner being held in his honor for winning his 57th case.

No one knew of Ashton's special "gifts" for if they did his resume might not seems as impressive. Ashton excelled in telepathy and it was this combined with his empathic abilities that has gotten him as far as he has. You see, it was not hard to convince an individual to tell the truth when one could manipulate their emotions and thoughts, even if the truth was not entirely sincere. The last, and not so powerful of his gifts, was telekinesis but this was rarely used in an open setting.

Finally, he came to the end of the corridor and stood momentarily before a grand set of wooden double doors taking the time to check his appearance one last time. He cleared his throat and with that the wooden doors opened majestically showering him with the lights from within.

Introducing his Lordship, Ashton Stonewall Kendricks
The 50-50-90 rule:

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
KillianLeonhart
Stablehand

Postby Luc Paylias » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:35 pm

"You summoned me and I have come." The young man spoke the words without raising his head, knelt as he was before his master. The arrangement was a loose fealty to an end. The mage that stood enrobed in night shadows had promised to grant his wish in return for a stream of favours.

"Tonight Luc. Tonight you have what you desire. The name of your wrongdoer. The man responsible for your mother's death and your wretched youth. But first I must have your word that you shall complete one last favour for me."

Luc allowed his gaze to rise, a grimace held in check, the wind tugging at his blonde locks and his green eyes glinting in the light of the moon. From his position he could just make out the drawn pale chin and thin black lips of the man that he had obeyed since the day he had been found at death's door. He wondered then, as he had before, if death and the strange man before him were one and the same.

Perhaps that day in the forest he had died. He had been ravaged by wolves, his stomach split open as they feasted whilst he still breathed and scrabbled to get away. He had screamed, but only blood had gurgled up and out of his throat. Then the pain had suddenly stopped and he had awoken amidst grave stones, his body in a hole meant for a fresh cadaver.

This man had stood over him. Had said that he was granted a second life. That he knew and understood the boy's pain. His history. That he had all the answers. But that the boy owed him a life debt that must be repaid first.

Eight long years the boy had done his master's bidding. Eight long bloody years. And finally the answers were within his grasp. The decision was already made.

"I hear and obey my lord. Name your task."

The Shadow laughed. "My young boy... be happy. For my task and your desire are one and the same. The name you seek. The man that has destroyed your life. That man is Elijah Morteron. Regent of Phaeratii."

Luc Lowered his gaze to hide the shock on his face. He had heard of the man. His blood boiled at the thought that such a revered and respected man.. a wealthy man a man of such lucky birth, had destroyed the little he had once had. His hands clenched in fists.

"I would have you kill him Luc Paylias. I would have you make him suffer a long lingering death."

The master dropped something to the ground and when Luc looked he saw a single arrow that glittered as if it was made from pure silver and glistened as if it was wet.

"You have been trained with the bow my child, and with the sword too, but I would have you strike him with this arrow first and foremost. The magic it possesses will ensure a withering end for the wretched Regent of Death."

Luc reached out and picked up the arrow, hefting it idly in his hands. He studied it for the longest moment. But as before, his decision was long made. "As you command.", he smiled this time. "I obey."
Luc Paylias
"Life has but one purpose for each soul. Mine is Justice, and to that end the river must run red."
Luc Paylias
Stablehand

Senken: Reality Hits

Postby Senken » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:05 pm

Whispers and drowned out words. Quiet screams and calls of much wanted help. The gentle sobbing of those who were dieing and those who watched the dieing.
This place was an ark of pain, as if a great hand had risen up to strangle the Reathin it self.

Senken opened but only one eye since the other was far too swollen to reveal anything to him. His blurred vision scanned the room. The place was a mess, people lay from corner to corner with more coming in then going out.
He soon came to see that he was infact within the walls of a local Inn.
Bringinghimself up completely and into a stable forward hunch Senken started to gain his barings and fight this ever present dazed effect his mind had developed.
It was at this time that he started to recall the events. The more he sat there the more it started to come together for him..

The ring of the sword as the cannon ball was deflected and halved. Reathin was under attack and the screaming sounds begain to fill the distant air.

Lilu'a lay very still on the beach.
She was dead.

The hatred and anger he felt started to grow.

Entering the streets of Reathin was meet with Yugaron millitary.
Many were slain.

Falling through a window; from a musket shot.

And finally the sword was drawn with all the hate that one man could ever have.
Bodies falling limp and blood gushing from dismembered remains.

The the quiet rattle of the chain being released during this onslaught.
They all died......

A voice......

Senken's hands begain to shake, it was the revolt in Oshi all over again. So many dead and injured. Once more the Yugaron have brought Senken back into the blood stained streets. only this time it was not in their favour that he draw his blade. Not this time.

Rolling over to his hands and knees Senken struggled to lift his weight, his whole body pained him. But with one last effort he pushed up to his feet and stumbled forward. His feet could not keep up with him but in a stroke of good luck he struck a support beam.
There he leaned against it for what seemed hours but was only mere minutes. The fulll extent of his juries were revealing them self. A warry hand moved away from the support beam to discover his sholder was wrapped and stitched, feeling the small lumps under the freash cotten from what appeared to be from some ones clothing.

Senken also soon realized that his sword was missing. He could not lose this weapon. It is his only relic from his home lands that he owns and was one of his more treasured gifts even if it was used to do all that he has been running from. It is at best a reminder of who he is and why he is, in this current era. The sword must be found....

Suddenly a presure came down on Senken's arm, he pivoted his body to turn and see who it was that adressed him.
A young women stood before him with a very concerned expression.

"You are not well enough to be moving around like this. The battle is over there is no need to be walking around when your like that so please rest for the moment."

Senken could recall her voice from some where but could not pick where. He turned around more on the support beam to face her. His unusual blue eyes struck her in an instant. Kotoains never have blue eyes she said.

"I had a sword, do you know where it is?"

"Yes, I know where it is but the figting is over and you have to rest now, ok?"

Senken reached out to her, "Bring me my sword, bring..........."
He fell forward away from the beam towards the her, Senken could not hold his own weight under the strain. She caught him but it was all so sudden that it took her off balance leading to them both falling to the floor.
Senken managed to push himself up from partly ontop of her and rolled over onto his back. He was exhausted panting and sweating. The young women sat up with a some unpleased expression.

Senken tilted his head towards her, "I'm sorry........"
Senken
Stablehand

Postby Suunavia » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:44 am

[ooc: The first half of this is a bit of a going over of the character and events that take place before the attack on reathin]

Barely three years ago Suunavia woke up with no memories. No recollection of who she was, what she did or what sort of person she was. An old woman puttered about the hut she found herself in. She smiled at her kindly and peered into her eyes to be sure they were clear of fever. The old woman's name was Milineas. Because the girl didn't remember her own name Milineas bestowed a name on her from her own language, A name meaning in the roughest translation, a breath of fresh air.

As the days passed in a blur Suunavia learned thing about Milineas and about healing people through the usage of herbs. Milineas came from a land to the east and she came to this land because of the war that plauged her homelands, potshies is a plant that make people itch and break out in large red bumps if it touches the skni but if drinken as an elixer it lowers fevers. Her days went on like this for sometime. Learning bits about the old woman and plants and their uses in bit and peices. Not even six months ago did the old lady die and Suunavia took over her little hut and helping the local farmers and fishermen over ther ailments.

The hut was located fifteen minutes outside of Reathin. It's small and afford very little protection from the elements in the winter. None of that bothered Suunavia though. She liked the sunlight and a fresh breeze and those she healed always brought her thicker clothing and blankets in the winter. They watched out for her and she watched out for them. There were the select few though that tried to take advantage of her kindness and niave nature.

-------------------
{two days before the attack}

"Shhh, shhhhh, shhh,"she crooned to a young boy, her grassy green eyes and mellow voice soothing, as she held his arm in her hand and smeared a thick cream over a gash. He's been in the feilds with his father when he'd triped and fell, his wait on his arm on top of a gardening tool of soom sort.

He continued to mewl and wimper in pain as she wound a strip of clean white cloth around the wound. As she made sure it was tight but not too tight she stood and spoke to the child's father.

"Make sure it stays dry and clean. Bring him back in the morning."

The man nodded and left with his child.

People often came to see her when modern medicine failed. Not that modern medicine was much more advandced that what she did but she knew that cutting open one's arm and letting them bleed dry wouldn't heal a thing. It took much work to make people understand this simple idea. When her medicine failed people moved on to use magic. That is to say if her medicine failed.
-------------------
{The night of the attack}

The sun was setting and the lesser moon was moving higher in the sky as Suunavia was straighting vials and jars. She had heard the cannon fire and the sounds of battle, but the old woman had taught her that when batting was invovled it's best to stay away until some of the comotion died down. The wounded would still be there and the ones that owuld live would still be alive, the ones that wouldn't live would be, well, dead.

She looked at the sky then turned and picked up a large satchel full of supplies. Clicking her tounge she wlaked towards a bony back bent nag. SHe tied the bag to the side saddle someone had given her when they had also give her the nag. Climbing up in the saddle, she settled herself and picked up the reins. This night would definatly not be short.

[ooc: I've also already been given the go ahead to post :)]
The days, they turn into years.
The eyes, they drown in tears.
Suunavia
Stablehand

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner