A Fate's Encounter (CLOSED RP)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

A Fate's Encounter (CLOSED RP)

Postby SomberOne » Sun May 23, 2004 10:05 pm

OOC : This is a closed thread, sprung off of the many Faith Hills rp's it is a basis for two characters development nothing more.

A small stirring awoke Somber in the early morning hours. The previous night and the heartache still fresh in her mind, as she roused herself from sleep. She went to her son bending so slightly and kissed him lightly, it would be good for her to see him grow now, knowing that the man he would become, would not be the man he had been. She rocked him slowly in his cradle until the restlessness of the early morning passed and he fell back into a dreamless sleep. A sigh of relief passed through her, at least something she had done had turned out right, and yet in that same factor she would not have been able to do it without the love of her companions.

She went and opened the drapes that hung heavily over the opening to her balcony, letting the early morning light shine through. Turning back to her room she noticed a piece of parchment propped againt the glass of her vanity. It was written in Sil's handwriting, one she was often familiar of, always noticing how different it was from her Dravven's hand. He had tried so hard to be one with her, but all she saw was a face she had loved, and a heart she did not, the pain she caused him was one she knew well for it was Dravven's love for battle that took him from her, and Sil's love for wanting that has taken her from him. Turning the letter in her hand she wondered to herself, what has he to say to her. Fingering the seal lightly under her fingertip, even that had changed. Breaking it she opened the letter.

Somber,

I have seen the error of our ways. I understand now that we will never be but a King and a Queen to each other. Although I have tried, and will continue to try, I know now that I will never have your heart. For true happiness is but a word known to few, and though we may have shared it in a previous lifetime, in this we will never. A new horror aproaches our lands, and as King I must go and defeat it. I wish you all well, and with my life I leave you to protect my children, those I fear I shall never know. Tell Serah I love her dearly. And you Somber will always be in my memory, not that of long ago, but that of today, that of the woman I have learned to love, the one I will never know.

Silver Bahamut

Tears welled up in Somber's eyes, never had she ever seen this side of him, with feelings she never knew him to have had. How she must have hurt him, and how it would hurt now to do what she must.

Somber faced with definate uncertainty walked to her balcony, it faced the northern gates and the rolling hills that would now be the answer she was looking for. A smile crossed her face, but faded as soon as the sudden loss set in. She leaned over the balconies ledge, tears filling her eyes once more. The light just began to break the horizon, the sun would be rising soon, they would have to hurry. Somber rushed to dress, not taking the time to don her riding garb, or to brush her long tresses. She placed her daggers deep within her boots, and reached for the door when a small tap eminated from the outside of her chamber. Opening it slowly she saw it was only Treval one of her servants, aggrivated she turned away from him and started talking oblivious to the urgency in his own tone.

"Milady.." Treval caughed clearing his throat.. "Milady..if you please..."

"Not now Treval, just listen.." Somber spoke clearly impatient. "I need one of the maids here immidiately, and not the gangly one, with the strawberry hair, I don't trust her. Bring up the raven haired child, and notify Razorwing immidiately." Somber broke, "I am to go riding this morning, it is of the utmost importance, I must find him.. you understand."

"Milady.. if you will.."

"Get on it Treval, I must be off.."

"Milady, you understand I've a message.."

Somber paused though only a moment.. "A message.. " her voice lowered no longer the urgency it once was, she looked Treval in the eye. "Go on, from whom."

"Tis from Vaalic milady, he says he must leave.." Somber knew this already, she knew he would go, that he had already gone for that matter, it was where she didn't know. "He says he will miss you more than anything, Milady. That if you should ever need him to contact him, he will be residing from hence at the Theives Den Pub." Somber's face grew dim, it was a great deal farther than she had hoped and in the oppisite direction, she must go, and must go now. "I beg pardon now milady, I will go as asked."

A moment later, a small raven haired girl entered the queen's chamber, her name Chalia. Somber raced out knowing now that her baby boy was in careful hands. In the stables below, Somber looked over her mare Aranukiu with great pride while saddling her. As she mounted she noticed the stable sleeping in the hay of the oppisite stall, she would have to remember to get him a cot. Now within moments she was out of the gate and heading towards the Theives Den.

Somber rode well for the better part of an hour, she was comming upon the forest that lay on the Southern border of the Faith Hills when she saw him, it had to be him.

"VAALIC..." she hailed the dark figure just as it was about to pass into the trees. "VAALIC!" she screamed in urgency. The figure just paused as if he was almost afraid to turn around and see what it was that called to him. He did turn though, and all he could do was stare in disbelief, yes he had wanted it to be her, but never did he think she would come for him. Her status was above him, he realized, but her heart was not. His smile grew as a caped woman on horseback came charging toward him. Somber's heart grew light as she saw him, he was smiling she saw, smiling and waiting for her. She nearly lept from the mares back when they approached him, he was but a breath away from her, and still she could not unlock her chest to utter even a simple word. Instead the pleasure of seeing her in his eyes unlocked her soul, something so long contained that all she could do to thank him, was to reach for him, hold him close, and speak to him the only way she knew how, by embrassing him with her lips.
-Darkened Waters and Moonlit Skies-
http://www.sombernights.com
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Sun May 23, 2004 10:11 pm

The morning breeze was cool against his skin as he walked down the nearly deserted road. Putting on his traveling cloak he continued to walk, still thinking of the place he was leaving. He knew that most would not yet be awake and it was the way he wanted it. He longed to stay there, but he knew it could never be. He left without speaking to anyone, knowing that it would not take much for them to convince him to stay. Looking back he saw the Kingdom behind him. It's walls still within sight. For a moment he stopped, and thought about going back. He knew when he decided to leave that it was the best thing for everyone. With time Sil may forgive him, but right now he was out for blood. Before he could change his mind Vaalic turned around and continued down the road. His place was back in Freeport, not in the Kingdom of Faith Hills.

The walk was not difficult, but it was lonely. The morning was clear and the birds were just beginning to wake. As he walked he tried to keep his thoughts away from the Kingdom. He knew that the trip would take several days on foot, and he had gathered some food and supplies before he left. No matter how he tried, his mind always seemed to wander back to the Kingdom. To Somber, and what she had told him before he left. He had only dared to hope it was true, but when she spoke the words he knew that he felt the same way. He loved her as she loved him, but she was a Queen and he a commoner. It was a thought that would not leave his mind. Continuing his journey he walked for a long while. He didn’t pay attention to much as he walked; he was too lost in thought.

He was taking a path that would lead him to Freeport; just as he began to walk into the thick forest he heard someone shout his name. He stopped walking and at first didn’t move. He knew her voice and slowly turned, unable to believe she was here. Her horse was racing towards him and he was stunned. He waited for her to come to him. His spirits lifted as she drew closer. Words he was going to say slipped from his mind as she dismounted and they embraced. He held her close, feeling the warmth of her body against his. Any doubts he had were lost, as the world seemed to be slowing down around him. The song of birds singing in the early morning filled the air. He wanted nothing more than to hold her close and never let go, but he knew he must.

Still holding her close, he looked into her eyes. She had come after him, which was more than he could have hoped for. He was about to speak when she put a finger to his slips, giving him a soothing ‘shh’. Looking deep into her eyes he knew that this was a woman that he loved. Forgetting the words he was about to speak they embraced again, trying to hold onto this moment as long as possible. The moment lasted for as long as anyone could hope, but finally it came to an end.
”You came after me?
I wanted to see you before I left, but I thought it would be too hard. I know now that anything would be worth seeing you again.”
When a Greater evil unites, the good must come together;
else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a useless struggle.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Sun May 23, 2004 10:29 pm

"Came after you, of course I came after.." she sighed, teasing his lips with a gentle kiss. "I told you Vaalic, I told everyone, I love you." She may have been mistaken but she thought she saw his eyes sparkle at the mention of love. She smiled her lips full, a rosy hue, flushed from the hard ride and the feelings he made course through her. Never had any man touched her like him, his simple touch sent electric waves pulsed within her. Her fingers played with the hair that curled lightly at the nape of his kneck, silence ensued them, the world just disapeared, as he bent to kiss her most fully upon her lips, searching and touching the depths of her soul.

Her heart nearly shattered most painfully when the thundering sound of hoof prints was heard closing in on them, Aranukiu, her steed began nudging her from behind. Concern flooding all of them, they rushed for the thickening shelter of the forest.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Sun May 23, 2004 10:36 pm

Everything seemed right, but Vaalic couldn't help but feel as though what they were doing was wrong. When she spoke of love Vaalic's heart began to race. He loved her, and with his arms wrapped around her he knew it was true. He couldn't think of words to tell her how he felt, and after a moments silence he kissed her. He hoped that she would understand what he wanted to say. The sound of horses closing on them destroyed the moment. They were coming down the path towards them from the direction of the Palace. They exchanged a worried glance before they acted. Somber mounted her steed quickly and with practiced skill. Vaalic mounted behind her. Unaccustomed to the added weight the horse reared back, nearly knocking Vaalic off, but Somber kept it under control. They were both uncomfortable on the small saddle, but there was no time to do anything about it. Once she was sure Vaalic was on securely she kicked her mount into action. Vaalic looked behind them as they came into the forest in time to see several men come around the corner. They were wearing the colors of dark purple and silver... the colors of the Faith Hills royal guard. They rode with haste through the forest path. Vaalic wasn't sure if they were spotted, but it looked like Somber wasn't going to take the chance. They rode at a dangerous speed through the thick forest. Vaalic continuously looked behind them, trying to see if they were still being pursued. Then, without warning, Somber lead her horse off the path and into the thick underbrush. They stopped to catch their breath and give the horse some time to rest. Listening to the path, Vaalic couldn't hear anything.
"I think we lost them..." His whispered voice broke the silence of their breathing. Just as he finished speaking the sounds of hoof beats began to grow louder.
"Quickly!"
Somber dismounted, followed by Vaalic. She grabbed the reigns and quickly led the horse farther off the path. They tried to conceal themselves as best as they could in the thick underbrush. They held their breath as the horses rode by. Vaalic counted six of them total. They waited until the sounds of the horses were too low to hear before they spoke.
"They were Royal guards... Did you tell anyone you were leaving?"
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Tue May 25, 2004 10:45 pm

She followed him as he quickly led her through the trees... most whipping like the wind as she ran past them. She was enjoying this little game, she didn't know why they were being pursued or why it bothered Vaalic so much... but she was here with him and nothing would ruin that.

"No Vaalic.. but what would it matter... I do not care what they are after.. They will not stop me from loving you."

Vaalic stopped in his steps catching Somber off guard as she continued passed him. Her arm extended greatly jerking her back into him, as he too refused to let go.

"I know this Somber. I just want to protect you."

So they stood in silence for moments to come, as Vaalic listened intently for their pursuers. All felt so right for Somber here in Vaalic's arms she felt whole. She could not compare it to any feeling she had ever felt in her lifetime. But here she felt protected, since the day they met it was always him. She whispered to him afraid to break the silence that emitted throughout the forest.

"Promise me you'll protect me always..."

In fact she had been so quiet that she thought he hadn't heard her.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:58 am

Her words were nearly lost to the wind, but Vaalic could read them from her lips. He did not need to pause to know his response. He knew it himself, even if he hadn’t said it before. There was no doubt in his mind that he would do just that.
"I swear it. I be there to protect you... always." He knew that this may not be a simple task, but it did not matter. Whatever troubles would come her way, he wanted to be there to stop them. Of that he could not question. He knew for certain that there would be trouble, and right now he knew the cause. It was him. He was neither blind nor deaf, and did not have difficulty hearing the rumors and gossip or catching the unkind stares of those around the castle. He was not welcome there. Not by any other than Somber, and should he stay, he knew that she would risk much. That had been what made his mind to leave in the first place, though now that she had come after him, he no longer knew. He was about to tell her why he had left, but stopped once his mouth had opened. He could see that she already knew his worries. Silently, he let his lips come back to form a smile. None of that mattered right now. Right here, in this moment, they were both free.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:56 pm

"I swear it. I will be there to protect you... always."

His words were so full of love that she had to embrace them fully into her heart in order to hold them true. Somber herself did not know what future she now had, but what she felt was that her future did not exist without this man. Her eyes closed as she rested gently against his form, holding him, remembering him. Time seemed to drift beyond them, leaving them in solace. The first true peace to be felt by the lovers since their meeting…The peace that would follow, they knew would not last, but whatever decisions that would come to pass between them in this moment would be happy ones. Because here there was nothing but each other to influence that decision.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:18 pm

They said nothing more as he held her. There was nothing more to say. Vaalic felt content in this moment, and though he knew it could not last, he wished it would. It had been difficult for him to leave before, and now he knew he never would. It was no secret that he wanted to stay, and she had given him that opportunity. There would be trouble, should he return with her, but it was of little concern now. They would deal with whatever would come. He was prepared to do whatever she asked of him. Wealth and power meant little to him, and if she asked it, he would take her from this place, though he knew she would go back. Whatever her decision, he would see it followed through. Slowly, they parted, letting him look back into those eyes that seemed to envelop him. The soft blue seemed as clear to him as a pond's surface. Her thoughts were a mask behind her delicate features.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:55 pm

She could see him now, see into the depths of him through those deep brown eyes, deep as an abyss. Yet she flowed through him feeling all he felt sharing with him all her own. She could feel his contentment, and let it linger through her, calming her own worries. Somber knew the time would come when she would have to return. There was much there that needed her, and as much as she dared to hope, she wanted one of those things to be Vaalic.

The morning lingered, and all she could hope for was for time to stop completely so that she may endulge in the pleasure she felt in his company. Though time would not stop for and so the countdown began, she would have to tell him. Eventually she knew she would...but surely it could wait just a few moments longer.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:22 pm

Their gaze did not fade in the moments to pass. He studied her, as she did him, trying to remember every mark and detail to commit to memory. Her face was one he knew he could never forget. Vaalic finally spoke, softly, above the quiet breeze that came through the trees.
"Tell me what you want."
He could see that she had something on her mind, though she did not speak it. His question was left open to any possibility, and she answered knowing this.
"I must go back. Will you come with me?"
She asked, knowing there was no need. She wanted to hear the words come from his lips. Somber had decided for them, as Vaalic knew she would.
"Of course."
His hands left their place from her hips, as he offered her a smile. He took in a deep breath; ready to face what he knew would be an unwelcome return.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:35 pm

Somber let a small sigh escape her lips, the heaviness she felt in her heart lifted the moment his lips parted. She knew it would not be an easy thing for him to do. Knowing full well the embarassment he would face in returning with her. She knew she could not ask for more, she would lessen his torment as best she could, but knew there would be no stopping it.

"Thank you." She knew there was nothing else she could say or do, he knew how she felt, and that was all she could ask.

Their bones tightened as they heard the leaves shuffle nearby, they could hear the light neighing of a horse. Vaalic wondered for a moment if their pursuers had returned. Somber's mouthed opened to say something, only to have Vaalic place his hand acrossed her mouth preventing her further words. His eyes hushed her as he awaited its arrival. Alas it was not the six riders that had given chase to them earlier, only Arunukiu Somber's steed. Somber smiled beneath his hand, knowing all the while it was only her mare.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:56 pm

Once Vaalic saw her horse he couldn't help but laugh. He let his hand fall away as he looked back to Somber. She smiled knowingly. It did not matter if their pursuers had turned back on them, but Vaalic couldn't help his initial reactions. They were as much habit to him now as anything. Somber did not speak, but instead put her hand in his. They began to walk the short distance back to where Arunukiu had wandered. Somber caught the reigns, and pulled the horse from the tall grasses it had been grazing. It only took them moments to get back to the road. They had only gone a short distance off the path. Vaalic was getting ready to mount the horse when Somber stopped him.
"I would like to walk... if that was alright with you. I am in no hurry to return." Vaalic smiled again, liking the idea. The morning was so beautiful; they would do well to enjoy it.
"I would like that." He spoke as they slowly began to walk. The morning sun was in full view, warming the ground and taking the slight chill from the crisp morning air.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:47 pm

They walked slow down the path toward home. The wide open area flowing out before them, encompassing all they could see. It would take sometime before they reached the castle walls, and they would take that time to be together.

"It's so beautiful here."

"Yes you are." Vaalic could see the reaction he'd had in her eyes, he loved how they sparkled, loved when he could make her cheeks grow red under his gaze.

"Vaalic, you're too much.." Her smile matched his the apples of her cheeks growing with it.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:18 pm

He had meant to make her smile, and he had succeeded. They were both in good spirits this morning, and the fresh air did much to lighten the mood. Though they were walking at a relaxed pace, Vaalic could see their travel would be much shorter than he would have liked. The city walls could be seen once they left the forest, standing as a beacon in the soft hills to most travelers of a destination reached. To Somber, it was home.
"I remember, when I was a young girl... my mother would bring me here. To the forests edge."
She paused, her eyes distantly watching the fields, and the wild flowers that grew on the hills. Vaalic listened silently as she spoke, following her gaze to the random spray of color the flowers seemed to shape. The chaos of their pattern was something that most overlooked, but it was something he could see Somber found beautiful.
"We would come here to collect the flowers. It is something simple, I know... but those were happy times. They are my fondest memories of her. It is something I have always tried to share with Serah."
They continued to walk, as Vaalic's hand slowly moved to hold hers. She accepted it willingly, though her look did not leave the wildflowers. She had wanted to share that with him, but she could not say why.
"It is a beautiful sight. You are lucky to have such memories."
Somber's memories of her mother were happier ones, and for that Vaalic was glad. He himself had never known his mother, and the absence of those memories still stung him, though he tried to bury it.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:45 pm

She could hear the sting in his words, she had not meant to hurt him, but it had obviously.

"It is not the past that makes a memory. It is how you remember it. Live every moment as though it were you're next memory, and you shall never lack for anything." She stopped on the path long enough to catch his eyes. "I can not pretend to know what it was like to never know my mother, as you have not, but I know what it is like to feel as though you missed out on something very special. Our lives have been very different, we have been raised in very different ways, things that were common for you as a child, were unheard of for me. But one thing remains, Vaalic, both of us have loved, both of us have lost, and both of us remain for the better."

"Both of us remain here for each other." He smiled then that smile that melted her heart and make her weak in the knees. She leaned into him using him for the support she found she now needed. He rested his arm around her waste as they continued their walk, it would not be long now. The anxiety he was feeling for them was growing, it was an alien feeling, something he wasn't sure how to deal with. When the gates finally came into view they stopped.

"home..." She sighed to herself, it was something she was begining to wish she could leave behind. But knew she could not, not yet, but then hoped that when the day came, that she would be here standing with this same man. "I will do what I can. When you are ready, we will continue." She gave him what reassurance she could, but she could not tell him that everyone would be accepting. She could make them be cordial but she could not stop the gossip; and where Somber didn't care what people thought, she was not so sure Vaalic felt the same. She turned to face him, willing him to tell her how he felt. Wishing she could take his worries away.

*Damn only 16.. :P ..Oh well, still one more than yours...lol*
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:38 am

They came to stand before the gates. Vaalic's thoughts lingered on her earlier words. He had liked how they sounded.
To live every moment as though it were you're next memory.
That was something he could understand. He had long ago hardened himself against the loss he had felt by losing his mother. It was something he had no control over, though he wished there would have been something. He did not pause in thought long however, as they stood at the gates. When he looked at her again, he smiled. He would take her advice and live this memory.
"I am always ready."
His concern had faded. He would not trouble himself over the things he had no control over. There would be rumors and gossip, that much was certain, but he would not stand to hear whispered words against Somber. Until that time, he could relax. She returned his smile as they began to walk through the gate, his hand still around her hip.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:01 pm

Somber concerns faded away with Vaalic's, it was something special for them both to share, there was necver anything lacking between them. They always knew how the other felt, and how to make those feelings better, whether they were aware of it or not. Somber knew better than any the danger that Vaalic now put himself into, but knew for her he would do it willingly, and he would be better for it. She smiled at him as they passed through the gate...There were no lingering gazes, no hushed words... They just made their way through the streets of the keep, back to their place of safety, of future comforts... Explanations would come later...It was expected but for these few moments when none would question her she would accept its peace... And so they walked on in silence, the now morning sun blazing its heat over her kingdom.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:10 pm

As they walked through the city Vaalic began to feel more comfortable. With each step he took his doubts began to vanish. This was something he could handle. It would take time, but that was something he was willing to give. They continued on until they came to the palace gates. This would be the true test. The guard at the gate stopped them, recognizing Somber immediately.
"My Queen," the guard looked to Vaalic, then around as though expecting something more.
"Did the horsemen reach you?" He questioned, a hint of confusion in his voice. Somber looked to Vaalic a moment before she met the guard's questioning eyes.
"I have not seen any horsemen." She answered coolly, remembering the guards that they avoided in the forest.
"Then you must not have heard. Envoys from the noble families arrived only just as you left. They have come here to see you and are waiting in the palace." The guard opened the gate even as he finished speaking. Vaalic and Somber shared an uneasy glance before walking through the gates. Vaalic waited until they were out of earshot before he spoke.
"Noble envoys? What are they doing here?"
"I don't know, but we will find out soon enough."
They walked the short distance to the palace, and soon found their way to the audience chamber Somber knew her guests would be waiting. The halls were all but empty, an unusual occurrence. They reached the closed doors to the audience chamber.
"Let us greet our guests." She said with a smile before opening the doors.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:42 pm

Somber was taken back by the sheer amount of men that surrounded the conferance table. Nearly twenty-five that she could count just by knowing the amount of chairs that sat around the table. There were men standing against the wall, papers in hand, ready and eager to step forward... The sight completely took her breath away, she stood there stunned, unable to make a complete sentence. A man stepped forward, he was tall, his clothing elegantly embroidered, he took Somber's arm and led her to the head of the table, where she took her seat.

Vaalic came to her side, knelt beside her, and looked to her questioningly. She patted his hand and gave him a smile. "We will find out soon enough." She motioned for him to take the seat to her right. As the tall man who greeted them sat to her left.

"As you may be aware my Queen. There is an ancient law that requires there be a King to govern. We have selected for you, nobles from across the land to be eligible to be your consort. From these nobles you must choose one to be our King."

"And you have decided this, I presume." She looked to the tall man at her left, her eyes bore right through him.

"Not I, Milady. Our Laws." He grinned with an evil malevolence, that stung her very core.

"So what you are saying is that these men..." She motioned wildly at the others at the table. "...have been brought here to woo me? You are absurd, if you think I will take one of these men as my King."

"You call our Laws absurd Milady??"

"Not our Laws, your ways. I will have no part of this."

"Madam I'm afraid that if you do not marry, within these guidelines, then we shall have to choose for you. Or relieve you of your duties. Of which I'm sure you already know, many in this court would gladly vote to do."

Somber felt so trapped, she could not, would not, marry someone she did not love. She loved Vaalic, and should he ever wish it, it would be him she married. Not some 'horse' roped into marrying her for a title. Quietly she stood and marched towards the door. Her anger apparent within her heavy foot steps. As she reached for the knob, he had one last word for her. "Courting will begin shortly after sunset tomorrow evening, we are holding a Ball in honor of your courtiers."

She told herself again she would have no part in it, but as she went to close the door behind, her heart grew heavy, knowing she didn't have much of a choice. Her head hung low as she stood in the middle of the hallway, she felt someone touch her hand softly. Looking up her eyes met Vaalic's and somewhere within her she felt her heart break.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:38 pm

Reaching out Vaalic touched her hand, knowing she did not see him standing beside her. He had slipped out the door only moments after Somber’s departure. He could see the troubled thoughts racing through her mind. Her hand was cold to the touch, and when she looked at him he already knew what she was thinking. They had given her a terrible ultimatum; one he knew would bring a difficult choice. Without a word he took her hand and they began walking. Nothing needed saying. They had both been there, and the silence was a calming friend. It was clear that this was not something she wished to do, but neither was she willing to lose everything she had fought to gain. Vaalic tried to find words to reassure her, but none would come to mind. His love for her was known, and looked down upon by many nobles. Without pure blood he would not even be considered. He knew how much Somber loved her kingdom and he would not ask her to leave it for him. This was a decision she would have to make, and he would be there to support her no matter what she chose. He had known this would not be easy when they came back, but never had he thought anything like this. They continued to walk, Vaalic leaving Somber to her thoughts, as he had many of his own. There must be some way to get around such law, though he knew how strict traditions could be adhered to. He did not want to see Somber forced into a marriage of opportunity, but what could he do? Finally Somber broke the silence, her voice edged with anger and despair.
”I will not allow it! Who are they to say I must marry?” She questioned, knowing nothing but a tattered dusty parchment said it should be so. Vaalic watched her for a moment, reading her expression. He could see that she felt much the same as he did. Helpless.
”There is no other way?” Vaalic questioned, already guessing at its answer. Silently Somber closed her eyes and shook her head, confirming his thoughts.
”What if you were to give them what they want?” Vaalic began, and quickly continued when Somber’s dagger like stare pierced through him.
”Allow these nobles to court you. Take a few days of badly written poetry and moonlight walks. You would be doing everything you are obligated to do. If you happen to find some flaw with each suitor they cannot question you when you turn them away. After all it is ultimately your choice. I am here to support you with anything you would ask of me.” Her angry stare was turned away from him, softening again to the woman he knew.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:08 pm

"And how would that make you feel? Me courting other men?" She questioned him eyebrows raised. A deep sigh passed her lips. "Nay, there is something we are missing, if I do not choose, they will choose....there is something lying here, something more than some dormant old parchment."

Vaalic eyed her suspiciously, her expression changing frequently as the gears in her mind turned. "What is it?"

"I think i've got an idea...or rather you have an idea...I will do as you say Vaalic, I will go through this courting as though I have taken to the idea, I will make my council sweat, there is a reason they do this I will know what it is."
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:10 am

He regarded her questioningly, not sure what she was getting at. If what she suspected was true there was something driving this decision to force her to take a husband. He knew what she was asking of him without her speaking the words.
"Your time will be taken at the ball, and you will be watched like a hawk. With all eyes on you I may be able to learn something. I will start by going to the parchment itself and seeing what I can find."
He spoke even as the thought came to him. Somber looked doubtful and looked around, ensuring they weren't being overheard. She could only imagine what consequences they would face if this conversation were overheard.
"That may not be easy. I do not even know where it is held. I'd imagine it would be in the great library, but it is not available for any to view. They will stop you long before you get anywhere near it."
She didn't know if the parchment could tell them anything, but it was a starting point, and she knew he was right. All eyes would be on her. There would be little opportunity for her to search for information.
"I will see what I can do. If there is nothing there I will go elsewhere. There must be something here. When you speak with your suitors, try to learn what they know of it. With luck you may be able to get them to say something that would help us. I will see what I can find on the outside. There is little else we can do."
Their words were barely above a whisper, knowing there were ears everywhere. They had nothing to work with, but that was something Vaalic hoped to remedy shortly. For now they had a day to prepare.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:53 pm

It would be some time before Somber and Vaalic would come to find where the parchment was kept. And though its home was no longer in the royal treasury, but in the hands of the very member of parlaiment that was attempting for force this so-called marriage on them. It was later that night as they sat around debating over their now chilled supper that it was decided.

"You are right as usual, it would be best if you went, surely I would be missed, but you must understand Vaalic that you too will be noticed if you disapear. Whenever you are seen you are with me, so we will have be very discreet."

"I understand...I have been assigned a room on the lower levels of the Keep so it should not be to difficult to go tonight unnoticed."

"Then it is decided, at nine pm this evening I shall call upon Ji'dar, and at that time you will enter his room, find the parchment and read it, being sure to replace it before he returns."

"You can count on me Somber."

"Of that Vaalic I have no doubt."

With his words Vaalic took one last drink from his pitcher, and bid his lady good night. As he reached for the handle to the door, he turned looked at his queen, watched her a moment as she glowed in the fire light. And with silent words he spoke to her. "Until our morning comes my lady." The sharp angels of his face smoothed as he smiled at her, something she welcomed and returned without thought. She sighed to herself as she heard the door close behind him. Knowing with her heart that the man she loved, loved her in return. There would be no challenge to difficult for them to face as long as they faced them together.
SomberOne
Stablehand

Postby Vaalic » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:26 am

Having left Somber’s company Vaalic began to walk the keep. They had come up with a rough outline of a plan, and he tried to play it through his mind. How exactly would this work, what did he need to be aware of? These thoughts troubled him as he made his way to the lower levels of the keep. There were still some hours before Somber would call Ji’dar away and give Vaalic the opportunity he needed. He knew caution would be important, and though he had picked up a few things from his father and friends Vaalic knew he was not a thief. He could not say what the consequences would be should he be found, but it was clear that they would be dire.

The halls were quiet as Vaalic neared his assigned room. He had a place to stay, which was not something he would complain about, but they had seen it fit to board him with the servants. That was not something he minded. These people worked hard at their livelihoods, which was more than he could say about some nobles. The corridor he made his way down was sparsely lit, having only a few small candles left to guide his way. Coming to a stop before his door Vaalic began to push it open, only to stop himself once his hand touched the wood. Noticing then that there was light coming from beneath his door. That sight troubled him. There was no one in the castle that would leave a light burning without use, especially for him. It was possible there was a servant inside, but to what purpose he didn’t know. Feeling it best to be prepared Vaalic slowly drew his sword, careful as to how much noise he made. Pausing a moment he listened: silence. If there was someone inside he was sure he would have heard them. This only added to his suspicion. Slowly he pushed the door open, peering through the doorframe before he entered. The room was small, with little more than enough room for the bed that sat across the right wall. A single candle burnt on the small table beside it, itself having only a short time of light left. A man sat in a small wooden chair in the back left corner of the room, in the flickering candlelight just enough for Vaalic to see he was there. Prepared, Vaalic stepped into the room, his sword ready, though it stayed by his side.
”Who are you?“ He demanded of the man, trying to see his face through the flickering shadows. It took him only a moment to look over his visitor, though he could not say who it was. At his spoken words the man sat up, his posture perfecting. It was then that he felt a sharp prick at the base of his neck. Instinctively he moved to turn, only to have it pressed harder, this time breaking the skin. Vaalic cursed under his breath as he realized there was another in the room, hidden behind the door as he entered. The man in the chair leaned forward more fully into the light.
”Vaalic is it?“ The mysterious man questioned, his voice calm and almost pleasant. A nod was all he gave in response, scanning the room to ensure there were no other hidden guests. The blade tip twisted slightly, opening the small puncture wound just a little more. Vaalic could feel a fine trickle of blood crawl down his back. The small amount of pain it caused was more of an afterthought as Vaalic focused his attention on the man in front of him. The man he was speaking to was well dressed, and wore a neatly trimmed beard. His hair was a curly brown, cut short almost as if to hide that fact. Upon his hands he wore rings of gold, giving Vaalic a good idea he was someone wealthy, and possibly of some importance. His eyes were a dull gray-blue, that caught in the dim candlelight and by his side he had resting a long sword, who’s scabbard Vaalic could see even from this distance was finely carved with intricate designs. The man rose, and took a step forward, looking Vaalic from head to toe. His eyes lingered on Vaalic’s blade as though he could read it. Finally his eyes rose to meet Vaalic’s. He sported a large grin as he took another step closer, careful to stay far enough back to prevent a desperate swing.
”I have been looking forward to meeting you... though I must say I am slightly disappointed. Somehow I was expecting... something more.“ The man’s grin slowly turned into a scowl, as though he had a bad taste in his mouth.
”Then again, I may have been expecting too much. You are, after all just a commoner. You would do well to drop your blade, it won’t do you any good here.” The man spoke now with a sense of arrogance Vaalic could clearly distinguish. The point of the blade pushed slightly more into the back of his neck, as if to remind him he had no choice. Once the pressure began on his neck he reacted, hoping to catch the man behind him off guard. In one fluid motion he brought his sword up as he took a half step forward and turned, creating a swift roof block with his blade, forcing the other’s sword up, then left it to slide harmlessly off the blade and to the side as he finished his turn, stopping with his blade tip upon his attackers throat. It had taken only precious seconds, and he had indeed caught the other off guard. Vaalic now looked eye to eye with the man that had been behind him, his sword held firmly against his throat, their situation now reversed. The look of surprise was clearly written on the swordsman’s face as he froze, his back pinned against the wall. Holding the blade steady, Vaalic felt the back of his neck with his free hand. He felt the small puncture wound that had been left and brought his hand back to see it had a fine coat of blood. A small cut, nothing more, but it was more than was necessary. Turning to look he could see the other man watching him, his own hand resting on the hilt of his sword, though he didn’t draw it.
”Who are you, and what do you want with me?” Vaalic asked, his question directed to the free man in the room. He couldn’t help but let his anger show in his voice. There was a short pause, where Vaalic pressed his own blade ever so slightly into the skin, enough to start a trickle of blood.
”Interesting.” The man said, as he regarded Vaalic who now held his companion captive. He did not appear to be at all concerned with the sudden change of events, though Vaalic knew the man he held pinned thought differently. Neither made any move to stop him, which so far was saving the life of the one man.
”I am Viscount Firaxis, and I have come to court the lovely Lady Somber. Now, lower your weapon so we may speak as gentlemen.” The Viscount offered, though Vaalic refused to let his captive go. Not yet.
”Then why come here? Why come to me?” He questioned, making no move to lower his weapon or his guard. His captive shifted his weight to his other foot in discomfort. He still didn’t know why these men were here, or why they had drawn weapons on him.
”It has come to my attention that you also seek to win the hand of the lady. As you no doubt know that is an impossibility for someone of your... inferior blood lines.” The words held a venomous tone.
”We will see...” Vaalic stated flatly. He knew this was a problem, and not one that would be easily overcome. He cared too much for Somber to let it go, this barrier only helping to strengthen his resolve.
”Indeed. Now, lower your weapon. If you make a foolish mistake and kill my guard I will have you hung from the gates of these walls. We will leave you to the crows.” He threatened confidently. Vaalic knew that if this man was who he claimed to be, there would be no doubt he could follow through with the threat.
”If I kill this man it will be because of your actions or his. Do not think for a moment that I would let you leave this room if it came to that.” Vaalic returned the threat, knowing he was more than capable of carrying that out as well. He could see the Viscount growing visibly angry, and his voice did little to hide that fact.
”You dare threaten me? I should have your head for such words!” The two met stares for several long moments before the Viscount finally broke away, his anger beginning to subside. The other man shifted uncomfortably again, though no one paid him any attention, and Vaalic could see by the fear in his eyes that he didn’t intent to try anything. Not with a blade so close to his throat.
”I am a reasonable man, Vaalic. I know the Lady Somber is a very lovely woman, but she is not worth getting yourself killed over. There does not have to be bloodshed. All I ask is that you disappear. I do not care where you go, as long as it is far from here.” As he spoke the Viscount brought out a large belt pouch, which he threw down at Vaalic’s feet. The bag landed heavily, the sounds of coins clashing together gave Vaalic a good idea what it held. Vaalic didn’t move, but instead looked back to the Viscount, his expression unreadable.
”Think about it. Be gone before the banquet tomorrow night and there will be another bag waiting for you with the Gate captain.” With that said the Viscount moved to the door, never once taking his eyes from Vaalic. No longer threatened, Vaalic let his blade drop from his prisoner, who let out a long breath of relief. He waited a moment as the Viscount and his guard left, shutting the door behind them. Sheathing his sword, Vaalic looked down at the bag at his feet. Just from its size he knew it held more coins than many commoners would make in a year. Turning away he left the bag on the floor, not giving it a second glance. He had some planning to do if he wanted to find that parchment and he knew it would not be long before he would have to go.
Vaalic
Stablehand

Postby SomberOne » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Somber waited impatiently for time to pass. Unkowing exactly what to expect from Ji'dar. she paced scenarios playing themselves out in her mind. She had sent her ladie's maid for Ji'dar some time ago, and yet it still suprised her to hear the knock on her door. The door opened moments later, with no words exchanged between the two, he moved to the two chairs by the fire. Somber watched him, his slim figure and greying skin made him appear almost ghostly. The deep shadows in the contours of his face just furthered her thoughts. She moved towards him, her appearance more regal than they're earlier meeting. She wanted him to see the authority she held over him.

"Ji'dar." Her voice was cool, smooth in tone.

"Good Evening, My Queen." He stood partially from his chair as she sat in the one adjacent to him.

"I suspect you know why I have asked you here this evening."

"I suspect I do." His expression twisted as he spoke, leaving him nearly unreadable. Somber hadn't a clue as to what to say to him, she only knew she must keep him here as long as she dare.

"So, let us get down to it then. You know I do not approve of your ways. As I know you do not approve of mine. There must be a middle ground for us to meet."

"I am afraid there is not. You can not fault our laws Milady, the council will not allow it."

"Then why do you choose to to this now? I have ruled this Kingdom for many months with no King by my side."

"It is simple, now that the threat to our country has subsided, the council feels the need to force its laws lest another threat appear. We are in no way doubting you efforts, but we must secure the future, and without a husband Milady, one of noble blood, we can not ensure the production of an heir."

"These are your concerns?"

"Yes, we only think of our kingdom, that is our job, that is why your father appointed us."

"I understand, this is my job, to accept your terms, and find a husband of my own. I know the law requires me to do so. So I ask you, whom has the council chosen for me."

*I left the evening opening for you to post here...I am undecided as to what he will say, so you're up.. :P TTYS*
SomberOne
Stablehand

Next

Return to Writers Corner