AtD: VR III: Darkness is Eternal(conclusion)

- A forum for writers. Poetry in all its forms, short stories, long stories, novels and everything in between welcomed.

AtD: VR III: Darkness is Eternal(conclusion)

Postby *Kain* » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:41 pm

Here's the other threads!

Thread 1

thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 3(continued)

Thread 4

Check the OOC thread for an update.

IC:

Noah and Scythe were locked in a whirling dance of death, both of them together becomming a blade barrier. Dengar jumped in, blasting the two of them with some sort of energy, kicking Noah down and away. The new vampire was back on his feet in an instant. Scythe had just recovered from the blast that Dengar had thrown at the two, and Noah was being circled by him on one end, and Dengar on the other. Keeping his guard up he would not make the first move. He kept close watch of his foes. The human had more in him, suprising after all they had been through. Even after getting batted away by the Nameless One during their fight, Dengar was still up. The Nameless One was gone, Wolfgang had met his end, and still darkness had a new champion, Noah Dragonhand. One of the famous Dragonhand's had fallen from humanity, fallen from the light. He was fighting it with all that he had left, but it was a losing battle, Noah was no longer in control of himself, instead falling into the darkness, the vile grip of evil.

Scythe nodded to Dengar, and jumped forward to attack, Noah dodged one of Scythe's blades, and parried the other, Dengar slashed with his katana at Noah's back while it was exposed and the blade bounced off the cape as it flashed blue, obviously magical. Noah brought a fist up to Scythe's midsection knocking him back, leaning forward he kicked back at Dengar who was now confused, knocking him away. Turning he attacked Dengar with the dark blade, the human was caught off guard as Noah disarmed him then barred his fangs moving in to bite Dengar when the fallen prince was hit by a blast of magic from Ariana knocking him away. Scythe was back up, Noah, stop this madness! The vampire stood to his feet again, and his eyes rolled back into his head, something inside was fighting for control.

The black blade dropped from his grip as he fell to his knees burying his head in his arms, tears of blood falling from his eyes. Why...
The Enchanted Warriors~ GM
Discord is everlasting~DIE~Darkness is Eternal
SW~TDoD~WHAM~FOUL~SAO
*Kain*
Squire

Postby Ariana Dragonhand » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:53 am

Noah, brave, strong in body strong in spirit, the only family she had left was fighting a battle of great proportions, he was fighting a battle within for his very soul, and there didn't seem to be anything she nor anyone else could do. Bitter angry tears welled in her eyes, her own heart weighed heavy in her chest, she was supposed to be a great weilder of magic like the women of her line and she did so very little during the war, she couldn't even keep her brother safe. So much time had passed yet in the same breath time had stood still trapping them all in the mother of all nightmares. If only she could wake and find it had all been nothing more than tricks of the mind, but that was not to be and she knew the world in which they walked was true reality. Seeing her brother on his knees his cheeks stained with tears of blood wrenched at her very being, they had all fought for their own freedom, their own survival, was this the price they would have to pay? No, there had to be something that could undo the evil done, the evil that her brother had lifted from her taking the darkness into himself protecting her. She and she alone was to blame for her brothers turmoil, it was a wrong she would spend the remainder of her days fighting to right. Bright eyes shining with unspilled tears looked to Scythe, surely there was something he knew that could help her......

Scythe.... one last time be the hero, play the part of my champion and tell me what I can do to erase the darkness in my brother, tell me what I can do to give him peace.... Scythe I cannot lose my brother.... if he goes into total darkness... I will be all alone, I will have nothing left.... Noah.... he.....

She went to her knees beside her brother as the last of her words fell, unable to finish her thoughts, she would not be afraid, if Noah were to turn on her she would not leave him, he was her brother, her friend, her blood, she would not abandon him or leave him to such dark devices. Her arms went around the man and the monster lovingly......

Do not ask why Noah, fight dearest, you are strong so strong Noah but if you cannot bear this weight alone, if this battle is too much for you, take from me what you need, we will fight together. Look at me big brother and see that I am truly here, you will never be alone Noah... we will find the way to victory over this darkness together.....
Ariana Dragonhand
Stablehand

Postby *Kain* » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:56 am

Noah looked to his sister, he was lost and it seemed there would be no coming back. Already he could feel the hunger vying for control.

Scythe stood near the princess protectively. Dengar stood opposite of him, ready in case the prince were to loose control again. It took me 100 years to find the answer to that m'lady. I am afraid that it's different for everyone, and so I cannot tell you what to do. The vampire looked to the ground in defeat, he too had succumbed to the virus of vampirism again. Now that he had given up his chance for redemption he would wonder this world cursed until something was able to take his unholy life from him.

Sister... there is only one thing that is left for me to do in this world... please bring me the sword. Noah pointed at the holy blade that lay on the ground several feet away. He had every intention of taking his own life while he was still in control. He would not die as that feral beast that had been terrorizing the area moments ago. His eyes pleaded to her, asking her to do as he had bidden.
SW~TDoD~WHAM~FOUL~SAO
*Kain*
Squire

Postby Ariana Dragonhand » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:19 am

I will do no such thing Noah Dragonhand!!

Ariana all but shrieked her refusal to obey her brother, so much so that several of the men who had been standing far enough to keep from harm but close to enough to see all that was transpiring between the prince and princess jerked their heads in her general direction. The softeness that could normally be seein in her eyes changed, turning hard, unbending. If Scythe had no answers for her then she would spend the remainder of her days searching for the way to undo the evil that had been done to her brother, she owed Noah that much. She didnt give a damn about her promise to the dragon, Noah was her brother she loved him.

I'll not stand for it Noah, you may be a prince but that does not mean I bow to your every whim and I will be god damned if you think taking your life is the answer, that it is going to bring an end to the horror! Call me selfish but...

Ariana sprang to her feet then with the words to a powerful binding spell falling from her lips but before the last of the incantation could be spoken Noah had leapt to his feet with a sudden burst of energy and knocked her to the ground taking her breath from her body as she landed. Momentarily dazed Ariana could not stop her brother from taking his sword in hand. When the tiny lights dancing in her eyes stopped moving Ariana looked upon her brother, the hilt of his sword held tightly with both hands.
Ariana Dragonhand
Stablehand

Postby *Kain* » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:50 am

He understood his sister's want for him to stay alive and to find a way around it, but Noah wouldn't have it. He had killed the Nameless One, he had killed Wolfgang, and he had saved the last of his 3 sisters from the curse.

He held the sword in his hands and they began to burn, the holy energy seething into his body. Noah looked to his sister, then to Scythe. Take care of her Scythe.. He said as he plunged the holy blade into his chest.

A great white light flashed throughout the entire area as the Dragonhand blade took the life of one of it's own. A loud scream erupted from the young Dragonhand and carried throughout the land. It was as if the very land itself was mourning the loss of it's savior.

When the light subsided and the scream stopped Noah was laying down, his hands gripping the hilt of the blade as it lay across his body rather than through it. It was as if some entity had laid him to rest. Scythe was looking on in disbelief, Vampires that were killed with that particular blade were turned to ash, but Noah was whole, and he wasn't even bleeding.

He found his salvation Ariana, he will rest in peace with the rest of his lineage now....
SW~TDoD~WHAM~FOUL~SAO
*Kain*
Squire

Postby Ariana Dragonhand » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:07 am

Noah please dont! I need..

Tears of rage and pain stabbed at her eyes she tried to stop him but did not move fast enough to keep him from plunging his own blade through his chest right to where his heart beat. The sound of Ariana screaming Noahs name echoed through the land in unison with the scream that had erupted from her brother. A light so white, so pure blinded the princess momentarily, but when that light faded Ariana filled with a sense of hope, Noah remained whole rather than returning to dust as most vampires did, maybe whatever higher power there was had spared him and he was only sleeping. She knew better than believe such a thing, the stillness of his body told her as much. There was no rise and fall of his chest. Ariana, not as royalty or anything other than Noahs sisters managed to bring herself to her knees and she crawled to her brother. Cradling Noah against her Ariana held him gently but firmly enough that none would be able to take him from her. Tears stained her cheeks falling down to land on her brothers lifeless unsmiling face. Scythes words did little to calm her, to keep the grief from washing over her in great waves. Didnt they understand? Didnt any of them understand anything at all? She was alone now. Noah had always been her constant companion, her truest friend, even when they were at odds with one another, which was more often than not, Noah was always the first to come to her defense should anyone try to harm her or say a bad word about her. Noah was the one who would chase her nightmares and nudge her to live her dreams. The keeper of her secrets and dreams.

To hell with the rest of his lineage! What good has his lineage done him? NOTHING! It couldnt save him, it couldnt make me strong enough to keep this from happening! My brother is dead there is no peace to come from that!

Unable to hold back the pain that tore through her Ariana buried her face in the crook of her brothers neck sobbing to the point of near hysterics.
Ariana Dragonhand
Stablehand

Postby *Kain* » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:23 am

Scythe stepped forward and placed a hand on Ariana's shoulder. Kneeling down next to her he gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. Your brother took the curse I gave you upon himself. While it was affecting him he dispatched two of this world's greatest threats. He accomplished what no other Dragonhand, what no other person in this world would ever be able to. He will be remembered as one of the greatest heroes of all time. His sacrifice was for you Ariana, so that you could live on, in a world that was untouched by the likes of Wolfgang and the Nameless One. Scythe silently apologized to Noah for putting the boy in a position where he had to choose between his life or that of his sister.

Dengar, get a message to those who fled, reunite the army and return here to finish cleansing Astrail. The man nodded and left to do as Scythe had asked.

Then Gothamin walked up and knelt next to Noah. He is the very definition of what it is to be of the Dragonhand line. The dragon said nothing more and nothing less on the subject, he simply stood to his feet and looked at Ariana. I will give a week before I come to collect that which is owed to me. With that Gothamin disappeared.
SW~TDoD~WHAM~FOUL~SAO
*Kain*
Squire

Postby Ariana Dragonhand » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Ariana could only glare through tear filled eyes at the dragon in his mortal form, a week was not near long enough to grieve the loss of one as beloved as Noah, it was not a matter of getting affairs in order that brought the thought of breaking her vow, it was the thought of Noah and his absence from their kingdom, from their people. Her sisters were dead, her mother, who knew what had become of her, Ariana was never close to her mother, in fact there had been times when Ariana swore her mother hated her. Her father was another matter, he had doted on Ariana more so than the others but her father was gone just as the rest of them, just like Noah.

A hero who has left his people without their prince, who is to lead the realm now? Noah was always the silent King, doing what needed to be done without dramatics or the expectations of praise and gratitude...

Knowing even with the pain she was in that they could not stay as they were for much longer Ariana took to her feet barking orders at the few soldiers who were nearby, who had witnessed their princes' sacrifice.

Rest him as gently as you would a newborn babe in a cart cushioned with blankets from his tent, he is to be taken to what remains of our home and laid in our fathers chambers until he is ready to be laid to rest beside his King.

Once the task of getting her brothers body into the cart was accomplished Ariana walked byside the slow moving wagon on shaky legs, her eyes never leaving her brother in the hopes that might have been wrong, that there was still life in him somewhere, still she knew better. Scythe walked beside her his arm snaked around her waist in case she should falter in her steps.

I should have warned him. I did this to him... I killed my own brother and now not only will I suffer for it for the rest of my days but our people will suffer. Since the start I have made one bad mistake after the other, allowing you to take my blood was not a mistake Scythe, I saw something in you that warrented saving, but it was a mistake that I did not act fast enough to keep Noah from saving me like he thought he was, he didnt know that I cannot be saved, even now I cannot, I have seven days. My life is no longer my own, like a herd of cattle I belong to another now.I will not shame my family or tarnish our name by running, oh but I am terrified Scythe. There can be no refusing Gothamin.
Ariana Dragonhand
Stablehand

Postby *Kain* » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Scythe thought long and hard about what Ariana Dragonhand had just told him. She belonged to Gothamin now? So that's how the ancient dragon came to our aid. Scythe refrained from sighing. Now the kingdom of Astrail, a kingdom that had been ruled by the Dragonhands, and before them the Shadowbains for well over a century had no legitimate heir to the throne. Ariana could keep the family line going, but now her place was next to the great dragon Gothamin. Scythe didn't think long on most of what she said however. He was angered at her self guilt, thinking that she killed her brother, and focused on that first.

Listen Ariana, you did not kill your brother. He made a noble sacrifice, and I'm sure even knowing your current predicament, Noah would make the same sacrifice. You did NOT kill him. As for the people, how can they suffer any more than they are now? Vampires and Demons invaded their homes, with or without their prince they will suffer. In time, the wounds will heal, and all will be as it should.

Scythe was being rather blunt, but he didn't feel the need to make accomadations for the woman's feelings. The truth might hurt, but a small lie to bring comfort can end up doing much more harm in the end. Still, he couldn't help but feel for the poor girl, she had lost her sisters, her parents, and now her brother.

Your brother sacrificed himself yes, but he didn't doom the realm by leaving them without a prince. He saved the realm at the cost of his own life. That is the ultimate sacrifice, and the people of Astrail will remember him as fondly as they remember Kain, Mara, Griffon, Rune, Maxx, and Raevenn. The original saviors of this land. Scythe recalled those days so long ago, when he had been on the side opposite of those very heroes. Noah was the image of Kain, to the tee, and Ariana was the very image of Oriana, and her mother Mara.

Your father, his father, and his father before him are probably now accepting the young warrior with open arms. Think no more of your mistakes Ariana Dragonhand, not anymore. He is resting peacefully now He saw the look in her eyes and silently Scythe Promised. Someday I will find you, and not even Gothamin can keep you from me. You will see this world yet again, as a free woman. The latter half of his thoughts he muttered under his breath. Part of him wanted to tell her outright, but he feared she would ask him not to continue with that course of action, and that was something he would not have.

Scythe looked to the sky and noticed that the sun was beginning to rise, a worried look rushed over his face. I must make haste for the castle, the sun! Scythe pointed, and began to move for the castle then stopped. He was about to ask if Ariana would accompany him, but he thought better of it. Go be with your brother, see that he is laid properly to rest. I'll be in the lower levels of the castle.
SW~TDoD~WHAM~FOUL~SAO
*Kain*
Squire

Postby Ariana Dragonhand » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:48 pm

Oh she tried to hear what the vampire was saying to her, she really did but nothing was going to be able to sway the princess of Astrail that it was not her doing that led to the demise of her brother, there simply was no doubt in her mind that she and she alone were to blame. There were so many mistakes so much she could have, no should have done differently. What good were "what ifs" she thought as she watched Scythe running fast enough to be flying towards the castle, all the what ifs in the world couldnt undo what had been done. Oh she tried to believe what he had said, she really did but what little belief she might have had was laid to rest just as sure as her brother would soon be put into the ground the instant she entered the room where her brother lay lifeless. Why was it so hard for her to cross the room? To go to his side and simply sit with the only true friend she had ever had? Guilt tore at her. Bitterness and anger coursed through her veins. A deep despair settled in the very fibers of her being and before she could figure out how she had gotten there Ariana was at the bedside of Astrails prince....

They found their princess shortly after the sun went down laying beside their fallen prince, her face marred by grief, her cheeks stained with her now dried tears. An arm draped over the prince protectively, even in her sleep the lady sought to keep her brother safe. The maids who found her searched high and low for someone who had been close to their lady, who could coax her from the depths to which she had seemed to fall. One maid, perhaps the wisest or most foolish of them at that moment stole away when the others werent looking and scoured the castle until she found that which she sought in the deepest darkest part of the castle.
She had overheard the talk floating about the castle about the vampire, and something compelled her to believe that it was he who could help her lady.

Swallowing the huge lump in her throat and summoning every bit of courage she had the maid stated her case and her reason for seeking him out.

I'm sorry for intruding.. 'mlord... the princess Ariana, well we fear she is on the brink of insanity. I dont know what you can do for her but word has it you and our princess became fast friends, she doesnt have any of those here really, mind you its not her fault, she has always been kind, anyway... we dont know what to do with her... could you... could you help her? Or at least help us pry her from her brother so that we can prepare him for burial?
Ariana Dragonhand
Stablehand

Postby Dengar » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:53 am

The sun was setting when Dengar was walking towards the castle. His weapon and his clothes all stained with blood of varying colors. The purging of the city went rather swiftly. After rallying what was left of the troops, in his anger, Dengar dispatched almost half of the few leftover demons single-handedly, the others dying just as swiftly at the hands of the now vastly outnumbering army.

Out of all the encounters with demons that he had encountered in the past, not ever did he see an entire kingdom get decimated in such a way. This was simply unforgivable. There was only one thing left to do. To see what was left of the brave warriors who fought bravely against the Nameless One. And to confront the only Unnatural who was left. Even though he felt that he was not dangerous, a person not unlike Dengar himself, he felt the need to stick around for a while to ensure his motives. As he entered the castle walls, he was relieved that he had made it this far. For he has fought well past his regular limits.

Speaking of which, it is around this time that he 'remembered' that he had hardly any energy left to even move, and collapsed shortly after entering the gates.

"I hate it when this happens."
Dengar
Stablehand

Return to Writers Corner