The Wind blows over the mountain

The Cruelty of Blind Justice - A roleplay forum set within the realm of Islan, where Angelique rules as queen

The Wind blows over the mountain

Postby Le Countess » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:28 am

Quedesh Verez had passed into the shadow world. The house had fallen. The tired warriors who had fought together for so long were prepared to slip into the shadows forever. My love was gone, gone indeed. It seemed near the end that he had no more will to live. No more will to fight for what no one else seemed to value, the House.

I spoke briefly with Livewire. It seemd that he had made plans. He planned to journey to the land of the Angelicans, and to pitch his tent with those who needed protection. It seemed logical. I too was to travel to the land of the blue flags, however my reasoning was far different.

I was packing my things and assembling my small group of companions. I took a moment to gaze at the book which I held in my hands. It was somewhat dusty for it had been sitting on a shelf for quite some time. It's binding had the most beautiful markings on it. I ran my fingers along the spine and opened to a page in the center. I'd marked this page long ago, long before I fell for him. In the days since he disappeared I've stared at it for what seems like hours.

The map was somewhat familiar, however it was different than the maps which were drawn of this area today. I gazed at it intently as the moonlight drifted through my window. The light of the full moon seemed to illuminate the pages in a strange, and subtle glow. Characters appeared began to fill the pages with a language I read well, but did not speak.

I scanned the pages as quickly as I could, changing the angle and following the letters with my fingers. It must be here! I searched desperately knowing my time was almost up. It HAS to be here. And just as the moons power to illuminate began to fail I found at my fngertips that which I'd been searching for for so long.

Calael os si Eilol.
-You didn't call me a bitch... is that bad?-
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Re: The Wind blows over the mountain

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:08 am

A message from Supreme Chancellor Reylan Talonspyre,
Chief of State for Foundation,

Friends,

I welcome you and yours to the Angeliquen faction. The Queen will most likely be very pleased by your arrival within our lands. I openly greet you as friends and as allies.

May your lands prosper, your people thrive, and the blood of our enemy, Leto and Barnabas, soil your lands and increase your crop yields this summer.

Long live the Queen!
Long live the Calael!
Long live the Queen!
Long live the Calael!
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Naberius » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 pm

He ran his fingers over the rough surface of the hewn wall. The crimson liquid that coated its dirty surface still ran slowly towards the ground where it poolled and reflected his image. He examined his face carefully in the pool, noting how the dark liquid seemed to enhance certain features and transform others.

A slight sigh escaped his lips as he turned and walked away from the rubble. The maurading armies that had sacked the city had just recently left, the smoke from thier fires still festered in the alley ways of his city, stinging his lungs and biting at his eyes. As expected they had slaughtered most of the peasants, those who did not meet thier doom at the end of a blade were shackled and led off to suffer a fate worse than death at the hands of slave traiders. The markets and guildhalls were plundered, and the fields salted and burned.

His eyes danced over the landscape taking it all in as the sun slowly began to slip below the distant horizon. His breath began to usher forth like smoke as the night air began to cool drastically. He had only spent a short time under the banner of the Leto guild known as House. Quedesh had been kind enough to give him refuge when he first arrived in this land, and now rumor had it that he had left.

Turning his back on the scene his gaze lifted to the ominous mountains that loomed over the North Eastern side of his realm.
In order to Save You, I Will Destroy You.
Naberius
Stablehand

Postby Le Countess » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 pm

The moon still hung high, but was waning as the small group set out towards the eastern mountains. I traveled lightly, the old book under my left arm. The way thus far was well traveled with carriage tracks and wide open spaces through the woods. We made good pace through the forest which grew thick the farther away from the road one would travel. I was well at home here as I would walk these forests at night when the moon would reflect of the freshly fallen dew... but the color of my nights was not pale white glow, it was red, for at night I would feed here. With me were two elven archers to my flanks, two vampiric warriors to the fore and aft of my mount, and a small group of ten various scout types who were remaining unseen.

As I struck out into the darkness I wondered what the next step would be. What was te next piece of the puzzle that I would put together after having put my life on hold for the last twelve years. I for a moment looked at my pale, cool skin. There was, of course, no guarantee that I could raise Calael from her sleep. There was even further no real proof that if I did their magic would be strong enough to cure me of the thirst... If indeed they were still alive within her walls.

The book which I carried was a story of sorts. It was a story of a land known as covenant to some of those times. The story told of a bloodline of true elves who had forged a rich and powerful confederacy which was ruled from the elegant city of Calael. It was a book of history of the golden ages when great magic blossomed and great wars were waged. It also told of the last age of Covenant. Only five guilds remained in the lands at that time. The Order of Almighty Fishingrods, The Metal Melitia, The Founders of Unequivocal Lunacy, and The Foundation.

Where the final age was lacking in population it was brimming with upheaval, backstabbing, and plot. Rivalries had grown and not the least of them were the ones involving the elves of the Elven Nation. In the end, however, the book stops abruptly. It seems the priest who wrote it was penning the final words from the top of the beautiful spire as the city sank into the depths. Without boring with the gritty details between... the shining city of Calael os si Eilol had been cursed along with all who were in it. It had been cursed to dwell in a void somewhere in the deapths.

The book also outlined that a wise seeker could possibly raise the city, frozen in time, although not alone. My eyes had hung on one description of the possibility...

More power is needed than one can provide, and willingness to die is required.

What did that mean? I was unsure. I had settled on the fact that it referenced multiple magicians being used, which was a staple of the old Elven nation. I was altogether unsure what to expect. One thing I did know was that the wind was blowing over the mountains. And we would follow the trail until it disappeared into the harshest terrain most have ever known, and in two short days I would arive near the spot on the map to begin my search.
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Postby Naberius » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:47 pm

The night air had grown cold, even frigid as the Mountain range loomed over head, its pitted surface creating pockets of rotating air that would frequently crash down on the rocky path he found himself on nearly taking him off his feet. Bits of dirt and rock cut into the pale flesh of his face despite his covering it with his cloak.

His ears perked as he heard somthing off in the distance. Stopping he lowered his cloak and turned into the wind. He could hear what sounded like drums. Straining his eyes, he peered back the way he had come. Nothing. He then turned his head again and the sound stopped.

He stood looking down the rocky path for what seemed an eternity, trying to hear the sound again only to be bombarded with more wind and rock. Finally convincing himself that it was nothing he started back up the trail, and heard it again. This time he was certain the sound had to have been carried by the wind as it was thrust down on him from above.

His jaw clenched and his eyes narrowed, whoever or what ever it was making the sounds were ahead of him.
Naberius
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Wed May 07, 2008 11:31 am

Establish the Power, and once you have proven yourself truly worthy, then the Gates shall unbar your way...

Pale moonlight filtered through the trees, edging everything with conflicting shades of shadow, sharp overtones of things half seen that were not there in truth. The common serfs would not come out in the night, not in the woods. Not during this time of strife, when any shadow could hold another killer, unseen in the night and sent by the power that be of other realms. The Sidhe walked the wood without fear, a calm and quiet assurance on her placid, ageless face. She followed no clear path through the woods, deigning to avoid the settlements of the human children and their ilk. And especially the elven, whom had made a mockery of the Art for countless centuries, beliving themselves superior in some way. It had never even crossed the Sidhe's mind that she shared that same problem, a belief of supriority that was tempered to a hardness like stone from her years and from....her skill.

She walked with perhaps the most plain wooden staff immaginable, its grey, sun-bleached wood unmarked by rune, by gem or marking aside the occasional scar from a turned blade. In the pale light of the moon, her pale blue dress, linen and inexpensive itself, seemed to shimmer. She picked her way carefully across the forest floor, always seeming to miss clumps of dry brush and leaves and twigs, moving as silently as a drow in the night. Her pale eyes, a color akin to amythest that seemed to shift ever so faintly between shades of purple and blue and atop that carried a seeming luminescence that gave them a light and life of their own. The rest of her sharp, if pretty face was hidden in the shadows of her shawl, fringed in the same pale blue as her dress. A green stone medallion, of sorts, hung at her neck secured by a heavily worked silver chain. It gleamed every time it caught the pale moonlight.

Bringing up the rear was another. Two shapes flitting through the dark and shadows, sent on an errand by the...by the Tower. Aeyliea followed the sidhe closely, moving with even less noise if it was possible. The human woman, whom Seska had run across on several occasions, was a good foot taller than her diminuitive frame, dressed in simple hardened leather armor over a plain wool shift. She wore a studded leather haidate, with a great katana slung across her back in a sling especially designed by Aeyliea herself for ease of release and the speed with which her blade could come into her hands. The weapon itself was simple steel, as unmagical as the woman herself.

But Aeyliea did have a form of magic. Whereas the woman could not weave magic, she had a way with that weapon that was almost to be unbeleived. The blade was nearly as big as her, and yet she wielded it with a careless gracethat suggested the blade was as much a part of her as her own skin. In recent days, the Sidhe had been grateful for the company the woman had to offer; bandits had ambushed, and found that their seeming overwhelming odds were no match for the two of them side by side. Seska recalled the grace of that woman, flowing through forms of the sword with such skill and rapidity that by the time the bandits had managed to knock even a single arrow she had been halfway through their number, severing limb from body, head from neck. Seska looked back at the woman, her silver-white hair almost matching the polished sheen of silver that was her own.

You must go to the hinterlands and announce your presence before the hoardes of the Queen Angelique; if you proclaim the rebirth of the Order before those you would call allies have seen your claim ratified by your skills they will not stand behind you when the Banner is raised again. Without the support of your would-be allies, the Banner is doomed to fail and fall, and with it your life will end.

Of course, that shadowy specter of the Valley, a land living and breathing and every bit as devious and dangerous as any man or woman walking the streets of any villlage across the world, had said nothing of its own fate in that case. But the Valley was eternal, if fickle in whom it chose to allow it service. For a century or more it had stood at the heart of Shadow, the Dark One sitting in its throne and channeling the power of the valley to his own dark desires. Seska shuddered. She could remember, vaguely, sacrificing her life to raze the valley and the now blasted land, destroying herself with the flow of magic she had called upon, and sending the valley careening into an alternate existence.

But it was back. It was back, and the Dark Lord would learn of its return soon enough, and seek it out. She did not know if the Lord was strong enough to force his will with that spectral land....and she didn't want to find out. They did not have much time to work with. Her and Aeyliea were now inextricably bound together by that very Tower, bound together to go forth and make themselves seen and known.

The Sidhe held a hand up; the cool night wind tugged at her dress playfully, blowing strands of her strange silver hair across her face. She said nothing, but there was little need to say anything. The warrior behind her came up short, shifting to one side and taking refuge in the shadows. If you didn't know she was with the Sidhe, it would be entirely possible to miss her shape borken up among the shadows, as still as stone. Seska did not move to hide. She could smell the stranger moving through the night, and merely ground the butt of her staff into the leafmould that covered the woodland floor. Something or someone else moved through the darkness of night.

While the hume-child sought to steady her nerves, blending into the background in case ambush was necessary, the sidhe merely stood there in the pale moonlight. With her mind she reached for the Art, her mental fingers tracing complex patterns on the surface of that indescribable power. In a heartbeat she could plunge her conciousness into it and create weaves that could kill or bind. Her face, serene and inscrutible, looked into the night and waited for the unannounced to make their presence known.
GM Ordo Draco | Co-GM Demonic Reality | GM Revenant & Calael
And when the men on the chess board get up and tell you where to go.
And you've just had some kinda mushroom, and your mind is moving low.
Ask Seska. I think he knows...
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Postby Jholi » Thu May 08, 2008 8:22 am

The old elven warlord wanders through the silent city thinking of past wars won and lost, past conquests. Sealed inside the city with only his thoughts to accompany him, those warrior days are long gone from him now. He ponders, "What good are my warrior's heart and cunning now?" Weaker minds would have crumbled by now with all purpose removed but not Jholi. His mind is too busy to crumble so, his spirit too strong. Jholi is held together by the hope that the seal would one day be broken...but still, he wanders the city waiting for the curse to be lifted.

Even after all these years, the feeling that he would one day be freed from the curse has not diminished. Over the last weeks, the feeling has been growing stronger. Each day Jholi became more sure that the curse would be removed, that he would be needed again, that he would again have armies to command, and that he would again know the pleasure of conquest in Her name. Jholi was unsure of where this newfound sureness was coming from, but he thought, "Well, I have nothing else to do in this damned city, I must prepare myself for the return...." With renewed purpose, he swiftly dashed off to begin his preparations.
Jholi
Stablehand

Postby Anelanien Songshine » Thu May 08, 2008 9:09 am

Yet another tavern, yet another night I sing for my keep. That I, a daughter of a great elven leader, is reduced to this, would be a great song in of itself, were it not for the fact that it would turn out to be yet another plaintive melody. Besides, I have songs of beauty to offer the patrons of this tavern, one of better quality than some I have played in.

Picking up my lute, I begin to sing in a clear voice. A song depicting glories from the elven nation, of feats impossible to accomplish by any human, if only because of their short life span. I've no doubt what those in the audience see, especially as more than half are human. They see a young maiden with skin so pale one would swear it was translucent. They see hair so long that it drapes about me in a curtain of gold as I play, only a simple band made of silver around my forehead keeping it from my face. If they were to look closer they would see the crest of one of the oldest houses from the Elven Nations, proclaiming me to be a descendant of royalty. A small tear escapes my eye as I continue with my song, incongruent to the verses I sing.

If I am to continue to live my life for centuries away from my people, what better way to live it than by keeping them alive through song? Although, in my heart, I wish fervently that one day someone from any of the houses of old would cross my path, and bring more purpose to my life than entertaining those who will never be blessed with the beauty of who we were, and who could be again, under the proper guidance.
I carry the songs of my people in my heart.
Anelanien Songshine
Stablehand

Postby Shori Shyr » Thu May 08, 2008 10:20 am

The sun was high in the sky, and the are was warm and pleasant. And in the cool breeze one silent figure stood atop the highest spire in the city looking out over it. Wathing everything. Such beauty was indescribable. Her ivory walls were fourty feet thick and bejeweled with every precious jewel imaginable. The majestic waterfall fell four hundred feet to the lake below and was carried by the river down and throughout the great nation. The Great Castle, built into the mountain behind the falls could be seen emerging and reaching it's turrets high into the sky.

One could hear the sounds of children laughing as they played in the streets, and the markets filled with shop owners selling their wares. The blacksmiths were busily crafting the finest weaponry known to the lands, and the forge was churning out armor.

The garrisons were briming with elite troops awaiting the next conquest and the grand generals of the nation, Jheilael, Galadrim, and Jholi Shosi were readying to command them against the miserable foes of the alliance.

Somewhere a scout was running bringing news of the invasion of the Founders, or of OAFS. And the drums.. ah the drums of Calael were sounding. Even now I could hear them as I opened my eyes. There was nothing but the blackness of this cursed void. This hell in which I and the great rulers of the nation had lived for what seemed like lifetimes.

I roamed the streets constantly looking at the citizens who were frozen in the flesh just as they were at the end of it all. When Angelique had betrayed us. We'd begged her to save our city, the home of our people. To seal us away and let us sleep until the time was right for us to return. But she had left our council awake. To see the glory somehow untouchable.

But... I had managed to leave the clues. The book and my sword had not been sealed. The Father had confirmed this. Some day we would be awakened. Someday soon. I walked through the streets dodging in and out of the frozen forms until I reached the forge. I knew I'd see him there. I walked up as he was stoking the fire.

Soon? I asked.

Perhaps. Came his short reply. He was always short on words.

I pulled a piece of raw mythril and put it into the fire.

I feel it too...

I pulled the metal from the fire and placed it on the anvil and raised the hammer above my head. I brought it down slamming it into the red hot metal and the sound resonated through the halls. One day we will be free again. Soon.
Shori Shyr
Stablehand

Postby Naberius » Thu May 08, 2008 7:40 pm

He struggled agains the wind for what seemed atleast another hour before passing over the sumit, his chest rose and fell swiftly as he struggled to catch his breath, his legs ached and burned as they were not used to such exertment. It was nearly dawn, the premorning sky covered in storm clouds, and before him on the eastern side of the mountain lay a dense forest, the canopy totally engulfing the floor below.

"A forest?"

He slowly made his way towards the trees thier silver bark seemingly glowing the semidark of predawn, and as he moved closer the branches that had once hung low rose, seemingly to allow him passage.

He hesitated. These lands were strange to him and he had yet to learn of all thier secrets.

He had nearly made up his mind to traverse the rim of the forest when he heard it.

A female voice seemed to be coming from the trees, her voice high and clearly in song. As he stood and listened the forest seemd to tug at somthing in his chest.
Naberius
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm

The sidhe dropped her hand after a time, resting the staff in her other hand firmly against the leaf-strewn ground. The pale moon had crept barely a fingers' width across the sky since they had stopped. But even so, Aeyliea would not move. Not until the sidhe did; Aeyliea made no illusions to herself about what she was. A long-lived human, for sure...but still only human. The sidhe could perceive things that she couldn't, wouldn't want to know. She had her blade, and her babe growing in her belly, and those were her only two concerns. Even the edict of that....ghostly thing standing in front of the rusted iron gates of some long lost city held no meaning to her. If fate would conspire to bring her back to that place, then it would be so.

Seska cocked her head to one side, as if to listen. A look of puzzlement crossed her fair face, but it was brief. If it had been at all. Righting her head, she turned to face Aeyliea, staff held in hand. Her eyes glittered, the air changed subtly. She wove magic by an elemental way; threading Air into a complex weave. She turned fully then to look at her companion; for Aeyliea's part, she was unnerved as always. Magic should have been sparkly light and flashes, something at the very least should have happened to let her know it was happening. All of the sidhe's magic was subtle in this way; sometimes the effect could be quite visible, but more often than not she couldn't see what it was until it was pointed out to her.

When the sorceress walked to her, the sound of rustling leaves did not reach her ears. "It is a small thing. It has to be, for anyone with the skill to cast would be able to feel me weaving something greater from miles off." The words arrive clear, if whispered, but when Aeyliea moved into the circle of moonlight, her footfalls made no sound, either. She nodded her head in vague understanding, and followed behind Seska as she turned and moved into the gloomy woods. Ridges of wind and rain carved stone stood to their left and right, coming together somewhere out of view. This place meant nothing to Aeyliea, but to Seska it spoke of....familiarity. Beside that, she had felt something in the darkness, out in the woods. Her face calm serenity, betrayed nothing of the seething anger within. She felt something of a Shadowspawn, an undead nearby. The very presence of such set her nerves on edge; since her encounters with many of the Lord's dakr minion who sucked the life from their victims so that they themselves could survive, she found the undead all but unbearable to keep company with. She angled their path towards where the ridges would meet. She had a plan involving those she felt. Allready she wove a complicated weave of Spirit and Air, intending to throw it at whomever showed their face before her. It would effectively render their magical talents useless - they would be able to draw on very little of the power they would need to overwhelm her, if any at all. No, whomever it was would have to face them physically. She would not allow whoever it was the luxury of magic, and certainly not one such as this.

The trees thinned as they dropped lower into the valley. She could feel her quarry as plainly as though they had a beacon lit. Their procession trailed through the heart of the valley, heading for that point on the horizon that was yet out of sight. She could feel three creatures clearly not of the world of the living. There were others too. She had scented the elves as soon as they moved from the face of the ridge. And still others, a couple of which had walked blindly past them, unable to see or here her or Aeyliea so long as the sidhe held the woven elements in place, held the magic that made them all but invisible except to deliberate search.

And that would be their problem, for as they approached the road the trees slowly thinned, nearly vanishing altogether. They moved from one lone tree to the next, widely spaced with plenty of undergrowth to trip upon. There were limits to the limited magic Seska had used.....some things could not be hidden.

When they had gotten withing a hundred paces of the road, Seska held a hand again. She had crouched down, her face placid, her eyes as hard as diamonds. They glinted in the moonlight, and were focused on the road ahead. Aeyliea came up short beside her, and sank to her hunkers, mindful of the extra weight she carried and uncomfortable for it. In silence they waited for whatever would come.
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Postby Le Countess » Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 pm

We moved swiftly through the night, for our senses were well adjusted to it's covering. We were special in that though we sought to be released form our curse, we embraced the abilities granted us by the thirst for the assets that they could be. We made no attempt to hide our presence, but rather focused on making the time.

We came to an abrupt stop as we aproached a clearing in the forest. My personal guard Vorgath pulled up his horse first. He smelled the cool night air and looked to the flanking members. Quickly they encircled me facing outward. There was the quick scurry of arghers to gain position along with the spellswords from Livewire's forces who had caught up with us a few miles back.

What do you see? I asked.

Nothing. came his reply. I see hear, nor do I smell anything.

And the problem there? I queried.

I sense magic. A very pure art my queen. His eyes closed and his face relaxed. It seemed like hours, but it couldn't have been more than minutes. A slight aura began to gather around him in the night. It seemed to reach out into the darkness surrounding. And then quickly it was gone.

I do not sense maliciousness in this, however my skills in this art are weakened by the curse in lieu of more... destructive arts.

I nodded. I was well aware of the terror he could become in battle.

Something was stirring within me. Something strange.

We camp here tonight. I said calmly.

My lady perhaps we should make some more time before setting up camp... I feel a strange presence.

I do not sense hostility here, and we are surrounded by coverage of Livewire's scouts. We will make camp here... I need to rest.

It was true. I was very weak, and the thirst was weighing heavily on me. Immediately my men obeyed my orders and within a matter of minutes camp had been struck. The presence, however, was still there. Waiting, looming in the darkness. One could only hope that my sense was not misguided.

Entering my tent I lay down on my soft mattresss. My mind began to ponder things of the book and of a great reunion with legends of the past. But the feeling had not left me.
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 am

The night changed ever so slowly. The slanting, pale light of the moon traveled, rising to its zenith and begining its decent. The camp that had suddenly sprang up had long since quieted down. Cookfires died away, sentries took their stations, and the rest of them went to sleep.

Seska watched in silence, unmoving in the shadows of a small patch of trees and shrubs. Four times scouts had come close and passed without noticing her or Aeyliea. Four times they looked straight at her, and she had been prepared to gag each if they should truely see.....but they did not. Other than that, she was quiet, her thoughts racing behind her deadpan calm face, eyes glittering in the night. She had mulled over the layout of the camp for some time, neat rows of tents lined up in deep ranks. There were hundreds, possibly thousands in this camp....but only a few held her interest. Humans meant little to her, unless they tried dabbling in casting. Elves were barely mroe tolerable....but bloodsuckers were another thing entirely. Slowly she rose in the shadows, as silent and stealthy as a ghost. She left the woods, pausing a moment to make sure Aeyliea followed - she did, in silence. Aeyliea's eyes gleamed in the dark, full of a startling intelligence that even the sidhe herself had to respect. Seska nodded, then turned and began to slink down towards the camp, weaving Air ever more strongly...but not strong enough to attract notice, not unless those who could notice were but a few paces away.

The sentires made their rounds, none the wiser for either womans' presence. The magic she had woven would make her invisible...unless those who looked were truely searching for her. No one here had any reason to believe that someone would calmly walk right in front of them, and thus did not see her. It was a neat trick. The two of them slipped silently into the shadows between tents, listening to the quiet drone of snores and mutters while making no sound themselves. Angling toward the source of her irritation, sidhe and human drifted towards a tent. Seska could see it in her mind, could see the shape of the woman whom had attracted her interest. She wasn't sure what she would do, if anything....possibly slip away into the darkness and avoid the affairs of men as she had for some time.

It was equally likely that she would still the womans' heart for good.

They rounded the corner of a tent and ran headlong into a sentry posted mid-camp. He looked startled, as if coming awake just now, but the look of surprise fled across his face to be replaced by a mixture of fear and alarm. He opened his mouth and gave his alarm, but was cut short as something unseen bound his jaws shut. At the same time, something else, likewise invisible, picked him up a foot off of the ground, and tossed him rudely aside before he had even half drawn his sword. He landed in a mess, rose shakily and was struck hard by something unseen. Knees buckled, and he sagged on his feet before eventually falling over. Not dead, but not likely to be happy when he woke up, either. The sidhe turned to Aeyliea, and found the woman with her weapon firmly held with both hands in one of those stances that she always forgot the name of. Death gleamed in the pregnant womans eyes, a sure promise that any who came to close would dance with death and find it if they were found lacking. Seska was torn by indecision, though only a quick frown betrayed her turmoil filled thoughts. Her face regained that icy, reserved composure. Sounds of men and women waking and hastily getting dress or simply grabbing the weapons that lay closest to hand and darting out of their tents, into the night, greeted Seska's ears. She had littled time to make a decision, and took little in making it. She darted back the way they had come, heading away from the camp. Away from the humans.

But they barred her way. A man, a raw red scar from the hairline over his right eye to his chin, dashed out of his tent, turning both ways and then stopping, almost as if dumbfounded by what he saw. Then he brought the gleaming sword in his hand up, and faced them in earnest. Seska looked back to Aeyliea quickly, but the woman was a blur of motion, dealing with two others whom had come up behind them. The clash of steel on steel rang loud as she nimbly dodged their well practiced thrusts and slashes, as she knocked blades away. That momentary distraction almost cost the sidhe though - she felt steel part the flesh of her shoulder even as she danced away, avoiding worse than a shallow gash that allready spilled her luminescent blood on her blue dress. The next thrust she knocked away desperately with her staff - the staff through off blue sparks where the steel of the scarred mans' sword touched - backing up a pace despite herself. Then she met his next stroke, knocking it aside, spinning her staff with both hands, knocking it away again and then striking like a viper. The man went down, jaw broken, but more were allready hurrying down the aisle between tent, bared steel in their hands. She glanced back quickly and saw three men down, minor wounds not the cause of their unconciousness but rather the flat of Aeyliea blade. The blade mistress danced deftly with another, giving ground grudgingly before knocking the sword out of his hand as skillfully as you could please. He didn't even have a chance to avoid the flat of her blade as it arced around, striking him in the side of his head. He folded up like a rag doll and Aeyliea finally stopped her flowing, shifting forms, comign to rest panting.

"No time!" Seska hissed, and darted past her, deeper into the camp. There were other ways out that did not involve carving a path through thirty armed men. She darted along the aisle, clearly aware that this path would take her dangerously close to that which she had sought in the first place. She reached out with Wind, sending a half dressed woman with a wicked looking poleaxe tumbling back into her tent. A knot of four men crossed her path, turned back and cried out their alarm before behind bowled aside just as easily as the woman had. But the effort was tiring, especially given a few sleepless nights. She might well have been able to escape if she were by herself....but there was another to burden her now.

The next bend of their path brought them face for face with twenty armed men, some carrying torches and all armed. Seska snapped quickly to the left and found more....and more behind her. Surrounded. Trapped. She felt Aeyliea come to stand behind her, back to back with blade held high. They would not go without a fight, at least....and with those thoughts, the sidhe began to weave Fire. They would burn a way out if they had to. She was not about to become captive to a suckhead.
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Postby Le Countess » Wed May 14, 2008 8:47 am

The cool, quiet evening was shattered by the sounds of a riot throughout the camp. I rose quietly and dawned my warcoat and took up my blade. I waited quietly for him to arrive and I knew it wouldn't be long. Within moments the door to my tent opened and in stepped Vorgath.

He didn't speak, but rather made eye contact. We began to communicate with a series of hand gestures. He indicated that traps had been set to the south of the tent. He indicated that his men had secured a path through our traps and that the brunt of Livewire's expedition force of two thousand demons were closing quickly from the northeast.

He had ordered a stand down to the south for our troops to protect the supply lines from any harm and to allow Livewire's forces pause to crack down on the camp like the angry wrath of the gods. His analysis showed that only two had been spotted and both were female, and well schooled in various arts. Their last path was towards her location. The elite guard was waiting outside.

I nodded to him in acknowledgment and we stepped outside. I moved to the shadows among the trees which were along the path. The elite guard, twelve strong all children ao fht enight took up their laces, unmoving through the shadows .When the tandom came they would engage them cautiously. If they were to persue past the tent to the south the trap set there would likely kill everyone.

We moved quickly into position with the moon bring overhead casting shadows through the trees. The elites and myself melted to those shadows. We would ambush this company and seek to know why two individuals would wish to engage our number in battle without being provoked.

I focused deeply on every sound, able to see as well in the dark as in the day. I ficused down the path and saw them coming. Vorgath prepared for his death cry. This was somethign unreal. He inhales deeply from within and releases a roard which concusses the air in waves that literally knock the average indivitual out and stun even the greatest warriors. Until one has experienced it, it canot be described.

As the enemy aproached, he saw her. It was a human form which appeared to be with child... Seemingly alone. He let loose the roar in her direction as our elite force prepared to engage. We drew blades and waited to see what would become of the situation.
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Wed May 14, 2008 11:18 am

Blade and staff danced in a blur, turning blades aside. Archers hadn't yet managed to get themselves mixed into the fray, which is just as well. Sweat streamed down Aeyliea's face as she held off multiple opponents, if but barely. Blood leaked from half a dozen minor wounds, stung as sweat rolled into cuts and gashes. The sidhe was no better, turning attacks aside with her staff just as deftly. In a circle around them lay the uncocious forms of men and women who had tested their skill against the pair and been found lacking. None of them were dead; Seska had made it clear that they would not kill any except the bloodsuckers, if they even were to do that much. Right now, though, there was little chance of them doing anything except perhaps surviving. And survival would depend on the good will of whomever controlled these forces - neither ofthem had any illusions about this being a controlled attack, at least not yet it wasn't. Soon their leaders would arise and make their presence known. In that moment, they would find out the mind of their adversary, whether they would live or die.

Seska stiffened, almost taking an axe stroke to her throat. She felt something completely different to anything she had ever felt before. A form of magic, perhaps, and wielded by one who had no right to use such. Especially against her. Half a second later she half heard, half felt whatever it was rolling over her, a sound as indescribable death. She felt Aeyliea stiffen as well, and then sag.....felt rather than saw a blade managed to get past her suddenly lackign defense and pierce her through the shoulder. That seemed to be enough to shake the woman from the stupor that sound had seemingly put her in, but she was slow to recover, desperately parrying attacks that came from all sides instead of the graceful, controlled movement of before. The injury was serious enough....her left arm now hung limp and useless at her side, and she wielded the great katana with one hand just as skillfully, if much more slowly. She felt whatever it was that had stunned the woman preparing to do it again, and sudden rage filled her.

Yanking the woven threads of Fire and Air that she had prepared earlier. She bound the weave with the Power, weaving with the Art until the air fairly pulsed with power. Liquid fire sprang into existence, pulsing with a controlled fury. At its heart, a glowing ball of white that hung a few feet above her head, it pulsed with the beating of the Sidhe's heart....even as Aeyliea sagged to one knee, exhausted and hurt to the point she could no longer fight, the sidhe unleashed her own attack.

Flame bathed those that milled around them, even as she continued to parry their thrusts and strokes, dodge their attacks. Liquid flame blasted outward with an incredible roar, tossing man and beast, tent and soil into the air. Men fell in crumpled heaps in tattered ring some fifty feet back from where they had been standing. Some smoldered where they lay, unconcious and unmoving. The ground smoked, and here and there flames licked up along a tent. None of those who had been close made any attempt to rise.

Seska wheeled around and took the human by her shoulders, tangling a variety of weaves using most of the elements. Aeyliea stiffened, then sagged, shaken. As the sidhe released her, she saw the one whom had issued that crippling attack from before. Down a narrow avenue between even more armed soldiers, a man stood, inhaling deeply. He was preparing to make that cry again, to finish what he had started. As he opened his mouth, she wove with the Art again, and she could feel the concussed waves of sound breaking like heavy seas on a harbor's breakwater. She lashed out again, and dirt and dust sprang from the ground as a whip of Air slashed down the path. Whomever the man was, he dodged easily, though the tents and men along that snaking whip for some fifty feet further were knocked cleanly out of the way or crushed in a thunderclap roar. Tents collapsed, men still inside screaming in frustration as they struggled to get out from under the canvas, to get out to join the fray.

The sidhe stood exhausted, leaning on her staff now. Aeyliea was still on one knee, panting and bleeding from the few wounds the sidhe had been unable to heal, though the wound in her shoulder still bled freely. Her hand was pressed to the wound, but it was a vain effort because even had she stopped the flow from the one side, it still flowed freely down her back. She stared in the direction that Seska did, eyeing the man whom had stunned her and the others with him with a pained expression on her face. And while they stood and sat, staring at what could very well be death approaching, men from the rest of the encampment began to make a ring around them again, even if they did not approach and kept their distance this time. It would be hard to ignore the twisted lumps on the ground all over around these two women. It would be wise for them to keep in mind that they were dangerous, even more so. A cornered animal would willingly fight like a hellion and a half, and they had two such cornered right now.

Leaning on her staff, Seska waited for the apparent leader to either come forward, else make the order for the final charge. If it came to that, she could draw on the last of her flagging strength....and start killing in earnest. But she would not kill, not unless they forced her to it. No killing, not if she could help it. She stared defiantly at the approaching soldiers, seeking out their officer, her face the picture of cool serenity, even in the face of possible death.
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Postby Le Countess » Wed May 14, 2008 1:25 pm

The entire camp was in a state of pandemonium. Lord Vorgath had gotten carried away and sent out a small death cry in the direction of the enemies. It soon became clear that one was a Sidhe and was using the arts. I slipped quietly down an alleyway. If Vorgath was fire, then I was ice. I closed slowly on the sidhe who was focusing her strength of matter on Vorgaths rage. This was not a plan thought of at the last moment. This was a rehearsed and well known plan put into play by myself and the twelve.

To have so many strong vampires who refuse to taste the blood of men in one place has it's advantages. The vampire grows stronger as the thirst increases. Vorgath had been twenty years without tasting of the blood of men. He refused even those in battle for he feared falling again to the power of the thirst. This gave him certain abilities and certain powers.

Myself and others of the twelve, however, looked forward to feeding on our enemies. This time, however, I did not feel malice in the air. Perhaps these two warriors were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Vorgath circled letting loose more and more death cries. Several of the muscle who were unlucky enough to run into the path were crippled and blown thirty feet backwards.

I saw his stance shift as he pulled the claymore from his back. Such power. He stood about six foot eight inches tall and moved with a fluidity of motion almost not befitting one as imposing as he was. His clothing was modest and simple made up of simple black pants over war boots. And a tight black shirt. Around his neck hung a purple cape, the last of what remained of his royalty. And over that hung the sheath in which he rested Grimace.

Grimace was a five and a half foot mythril claymore which the average individual would never be able to lift, let alone wield. It was bound to his ring by a deep sidhe magic of days long past. The wearer of the ring may wield grimace as though it weighed nothing at all.

He bound closer and closer to them until he was about ten feet away. He had their full attention. Myself and four members of the twelve had walked quietly behind. Jordan, Michael, Seetha, and Romeo stood near me all of them ready to fight. I held my hand up to wait and cease all movement.

Vorgath wielded Grimace calmly as he spoke to the sidhe now leaning on her staff.

Why would you invade us mistress? What have we done to you that you would disturb our sleep?

His eyes were cool blue and his teeth were white against the moonlight clearly and intentionally displaying his fangs as he spoke.

Why have you brought your devastation here sidhe?
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Wed May 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Struggling to hide her panting, the sidhe managed to keep her cool reserve, meeting Vorgaths' gaze for gaze. Her eyes danced through purplish colors, changing seemingly as she moved her head. Mouth a thin, grim line, she studied the vampire in silence. She could feel another approaching, vague and distant but clear at the same time. More than one, and all deadly cold and powerful. But there was something else about them. It seemed strange....and she could not place what it was.

"Invade?" She queried, her breath slowing to normal. She stood straight again, staff in one hand and planted firmly to the ground. She cocked her head to one side, silver hair shifting in that direction like a waterfall. "I do not involve myself in the affairs of humans. I came to have a look at something odd..." She said, and her flat stare made it evident that he was the one that she found odd. "...and be away. The fates conspire against me, and I run into your fool-headed soldiers who bared steel at me." There was a strong disapproval in the tone towards the end of her statement. She rested her free hand on Aeyliea, and once again the woman tensed. Some of her wounds healed, and her weariness abated alittle....she was able to raise her cold blue eyes to meet Vorgath's as well. The blade was grounded, held in one hand while her left arm still remained useless at her side, its massive blade gripped over her head, for the curved blade was easily as long as she was tall. That deadly intellect was present in her eyes again, no longer conflicting with the agony it had displayed before.

"But surely you can see that I have not brought devastation upon you, yet. Merely schooled the unlearned at the folly of meddling with a Sidhe." She said, smirking. "What else would you have me do, Lord, take a spear through my gut? Your men certainly made a valiant effort of that." There was a tightness in her voice that betrayed anger, but her face betrayed no emotion at all. She opened her mouth to speak again, but it was Aeyliea who voiced her words first.

"Whom do you serve....Vorgath?" She queried, a little shaky still. She recognized that face. She recognized it out of a story, long ago heard. Vorgath. That was his name....but to whom was he associated? The human struggled to dig the memories from her head, her thoughts fogged by exhaustion. She gripped the hilt of her blade more tightly, and rose on shaking legs. She stood unsteadily beside the Sidhe, eyeing the encircling wall of bared steel wearily. Her thoughts went to the unborn child....for a moment. If this went ugly, it was her life she would have to worry about.

Seska stared at the human quickly, a touch of reproach on her face. Seska herself had not remembered this...vampires name. She could recall a great many things from ages gone by...but nothing of this man. How the blade mistress has managed to come by such knowledge, she couldn't even begin to fathom.

"Well, .....Vorgath. You have us in our sights. What are you're intentions? Keep in mind that you may kill me....but as I have not taken a single life in this camp yet, I can promise you that if that is your decision, I will not hold my rage back any longer." She said, defiantly. She hoped that the bluff would work; she was no longer in any shape to display her art. Much more, and it could well kill her through exhaustion. The knuckles of both womens' hands whitened as they gripped their individual weapons harder. Waiting.
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Postby Le Countess » Wed May 14, 2008 2:26 pm

I couldn't help but smile at the inner strength which was revealed by these two individuals. I too know what it is like to struggle through the ages. There was always a fight always a battle. My ears pricked up as I heard the human address the vampiric lord as Vorgath.

His eyes glowed with memory of a better day. A day when he had a family and was living the life befitting a prince. There was a day when his armies marched headlong into the fray and won legendary victory after legendary victory. But it seemed so long ago that he had faded into the darkness... his story with him.

I felt romeo ease closer. The vampiric Sidhe crept up next to me with his twisted oaken staff firmly in his hand. I knew not how many sunsets he had seen for he never spoke nor did he write. I looked at him, his eyes were intent on the scene ahead and I could see his aura change. The aura began to extend toward the sidhe, warm and milky through the night. as it approached her a thought went out from him.

We do not wish to harm you. There are things far greater which we seek.

As quickly as the aura had appeared it left and romeo sunk into the shadows. I saw Vorgaths rage burning behind his stone blue eyes.

Say you my name to spite me? Do you conjure up my past as your friend conjures up her magics? Do you wish to incite me by askig who I serve? Allow me to do you the favor of introducing to you she whom I serve.

I wasn't sure exactly what he was thinging outing me like that. However, he struck a bow and replaced Grimace on his back. I then stepped into the light acompanied by Romeo and Seetha to my right and left.

The moonlight reflected off of my white shirt and pants and I walked gracefully towards the sidhe.

"Greetings." I said slipping into clean view, careful to hide my fangs which right now were unbearably thirsty for blood. "And to what can I owe the honor of your visit this evening?"
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Wed May 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Seska's eyes burned with a deep hatred. She looked upon many of the fallen ones, many whom had been afflicted with the curse. The simple brushing over her thoughts by one of them was revolting enough...she had a mind to simply quell all of their magics, bind them long enough to flee. But flight would not be possible, not with most of the camp awake and aware of her presence. Her little disappearing trick would not work now, and anything else short of blasting man and beast apart would fail her i nthe task of leaving. She was too tired to keep it up, and Aeyliea wounded and tired as well. But the defiance never left her voice, or her eyes, even if the rest of her face showed nothing but controlled emotion.

She stared up into Vorgaths' eyes, all the malice and contempt to be had for his kind plain to read in her eyes. "She is more than she seems, just as am I." She said, flatly. She turned to watch others leave the shadows, not in the least surprised to find more vampires. Only the sidhe unnerved her in truth; her own kind, rare in this day, turned to thirst for blood. At some point, that one would have to die before his taint could mar the purity of the Power they both could wield. While the sidhe would doubtless not debase the Art, as humans and others did, the Power was not something for the undead to touch, Sidhe or no. She glowered at Romeo, but said nothing to him.

"I incite no one, but my interest in who you serve is well placed, shadowspawn." Aeyliea said, re-sheathing her blade on her back awkwardly. She clutched at the deep hole in her shoulder that still leaked blood; it dripped from the lifeless fingers of her left hand. Her face was calm, but it was plain to see the war of emotion taking place every so often. Clearly she disliked the cursed ones as much as Seska did.

"You are cursed. I had to make sure that you did not work for Him; had you I would have slain all of you or died trying." The smile Seska gave them after that simple statement of fact was predatory at best. On that unmarred face in a dress now torn and cut, stained with blood here and there, she looked so much like a jackal stalking for a brief moment, but it was a very brief moment. Soon the placid, reserved aire returned to her. She turned to the group that had just debarked from shadow, smiling in a brittle fashion. "And this must be the Countess. Of you, I've heard. It is only fair that I give you my name as well; I am called Seska." The politeness seemed forced, in truth. The sidhe had little love for vampires. Little love at all.

Weaving a spiritual block that would prevent Romeo from ever brushing her thoughts again (for the night, at least), she seemed to settle a little more. She looked at the other sidhe questioningly, while the human blade mistress stared into Vorgaths eyes, her own glittering with their own deadly light.
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Postby Le Countess » Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 am

I paused momentarily, taken aback by the fury these two possessed. I felt that the time was right to take it upon myself to ease the tensions which hung heavily like a wet blanket in the cold night air. Vorgath stood ready. He was always ready for violence, and it appeared these two would be happy to oblige him.

I thought the better of letting the situation pulse out of control without necessity, and it was clear that the sidhe possessed immense magical ability. there was a sparkle that danced in her eyes as well as a confidence. It was, however, clear to me that she preferred to be alone or at the very least, with her human companion.

Vorgath circled, and the rest of the twelve began to emerge from the shadows. Their presence seemed threatening and I raised my hand above my head and spoke.

Enough. I took pause as I watched Vorgath immediately stand down. This is not how we treat guests. now, all of you please make sure my camp gets put back together. Romeo, stay here.

As I finished speaking my entourage disappeared into the camp likely to give severe tongue lashings and make sure that everything was put back together properly. I walked calmly up to the two fighting women. Romeo stood next to me his staff hovering about waist high and parallel to the ground. his consciousness was valuable for me to draw on for any thought leaked would immediately be grabbed by his mind and transfered to mine. Aggression is the first thought leaked and thus he was my only safety.

So, May I offer you my apologies for the lacking welcome? We are but humble travelers seeking something of a treasure. There are many who would seek that which we search, and as a result my men are somewhat jumpy. We, however wish you no harm.

I extended the peace offering with confidence, and yet had no knowledge of these two or their desires. The moonlight hung high overhead illuminating me as my long blond hair fell over my pale shoulders and my eyes glowed is a life that is unknown to those who give in to the thirst for men's blood. They become but creatures, consumed. But we are more... The twelve. We are sick but we are .... alive. Very much alive.

So how may I be of service to you? I asked at length hoping that further violence would not be on the menu.
~Usurper of Calael~
Le Countess
Stablehand

Postby Seska Dragonslayer » Thu May 22, 2008 7:06 pm

"Humble travelers?" Aeyliea said, incredulous and not trying to hide it. Humble travelers, indeed! The woman must think them mad to believe that, traveling with a veritable army at their heels. One did not lead an army anywhere for no purpose; it wasn't as if they were out for a Sunday stroll and had brought along an honor gaurd. The human sniffed in disbelief. Seska, on the other hand, appeared to take it all in stride, her face smooth, her eyes gleaming. She glanced at Romeo disapprovingly. Could the man not hold his staff in his hands? There was no purpose to flaunting his skill in the Art, and in any case such a menial thing as carrying his staff should not have been left to the Power. She sneered at him at last, but said nothing, instead speaking to the Countess with her barely hidden fangs while unleashing a disdainful glare at Romeo.

"While her tongue has yet to be curbed by tact, Aeyliea brings a good point up. Unless the people of this land have become far richer in my absence, this is not a humble procession. If you seek a treasure, it is plain that you mean to take it by force. Surely so many spears could not be for show, nor a guard of honor." She replied, for all the world sounding as though she were talking about the cut of her dress, as though the fact stated was of no importance. Her face remained smooth, while her mind wound the woven shield of Spirit ever more tightly and intricately. Let Romeo try to cut his way through that! She doubted he could, at least not without her knowing immediately. She lifted her whithering glance from him, and turned her cool eyes on Countess, her gaze a drill, boring into her eyes. "Your apology is accepted." She said, a trifle stiffly. Aeyliea sniffed again, finally stepping away from the sidhe, but not letting go of her weapon yet, though she held it more casually now. It was no small fact that she could go from the seeming calm into a rage of death at the flip of a switch. But best to let the others think her guard was down.

Seska did not move herself. She held Countess with her stare, a searching glare. Searching.....that was more what it was, as thin tendrils of Spirit - some called the element Light, but both names were apt - slowly extended, touching but barely the flesh of Countess. Feeling the aura of the woman, trying to understand why she didn't sense....whatever the taint was upon the vampiric, quite so strongly on this one. What could it mean? She puzzled over it in the confines of her own head, unsure of something strange as this. She could....feel the desire for blood, standing in front of her, around her. The desire to feed. Why had this one not done so? It was an intriguing question, most intriguing indeed.

Ignoring Aeyliea mutterings about a hot bath and a real roof over their heads, if even only a tent, Seska pursed her lips. "Somehow I doubt you are used to serving anyone but yourself or your kith and kin." She said, tartly. Blood sucker or not, the woman was still an elf atop it all. Seska did not like elves much more than humans - rather less, in fact - but the situation was delicate enough without letting her own mouth run away with her. "But if you truely wish to, then you can start by telling me how you hold the Thirst at bay." She continued, stabbing out at random. She could feel something different about this one. Perhaps that was what it was. If not, she would keep digging until she grew tired of it, and leave.
Seska Dragonslayer
Flaming Toaster

Return to The Land of Islan