The Land of Islan OOC

A selection of roleplay forums for the world of Tonan.

Re: The Land of Islan OOC

Postby Mykayla » Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 pm

I have a question regarding the city of Salis. If the lower classes are in the interior circles of the city and the outer rings are so heavily guarded/raised, how does anyone not of the upper echelons ever leave the city (other than via river)? It seems to me that most often, the lower classes are frequently occupied by farmers, and they provide food for the cities to which they are attached. Would the farmers just not be a part of the city? Or do they have to either boat out to their lands or take the long and winding, heavily fortified road out?
-I'm high like heaven, and I'm strong like music-
Mykayla
Squire

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Tue May 20, 2008 10:38 pm

They stay there forever!!!!
However they are luckier than the lower classes of the coastal city, who have to live underwater.
Eddie Kim sends his regards, motherfucker!
WhY so SeriOUs?
FOXHOUND - It'll make you a god damn sexual tyrannosaur, just like me!
Dyvim Tvar
International Superstar

Postby Voice Elessar » Tue May 20, 2008 10:48 pm

The ring idea has been scrapped

My idea originally was that it was a way for the higher class and the military to keep the lower classes in check

but we've gone with a different layout.
Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Voice Elessar
Voice

Postby Mykayla » Tue May 20, 2008 11:35 pm

I must have missed that. Thank you for clarifying.
-I'm high like heaven, and I'm strong like music-
Mykayla
Squire

Postby Kaz » Sun May 25, 2008 7:18 pm

One question.

Who are the temples in the mortal Queen Angelique's capital dedicated to?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
Kaz
Retired Admin

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Sun May 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Maybe she's a closet Malkav, so they have to make different temples for different personalities?
Riddle, you are solved!
Eddie Kim sends his regards, motherfucker!
WhY so SeriOUs?
FOXHOUND - It'll make you a god damn sexual tyrannosaur, just like me!
Dyvim Tvar
International Superstar

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Sun May 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Who are the temples in the mortal Queen Angelique's capital dedicated to?

Maybe they are dedicated to her, kind of a 'Cult of the Emperor' type thing from Roman times. A cult of personality sprung up because she is so damn awesome ... and hot. Definitely attractive, it makes her dispensing of justice even more hot. But since I am not here to help define Angelique, I will stick to the temples.

I think a general worshiping of her personality and her wisdom would be good. The temples are also where the priests and magicians would be located, working to further their spell craft and whatnot. If Angelique ever were to be called a goddess, it would be OK then, mainly because people may actually believe in her divinity. Not a bad idea.

Just throwing stuff out there, hope other people have some cool ideas too. I like everything I have read thus far though.
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Voice Jade » Mon May 26, 2008 8:28 am

I find that cults formed around a living entity are rather fragile. Does the line between a leader of the people, and yet another dictator get crossed when they start to worship them? Those with enough intellect and independent though tend to not want to be oppressed by a mere mortal.

Just a thought.
The pen is mightier than the sword, and much easier to haul around.
Voice Jade
Voice

Postby Voice Elessar » Mon May 26, 2008 9:20 am

I was thinking each temple will be dedicated to the ideals of the Angelique government, Justice-Order etc. We have to remember that the three entities are not gods right now. They need the beliefs/prayers of thier followers to reattain thier godhood. What better way than to establish temples dedicated to thier ideals?

Thoughts and concerns are welcome.
Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Voice Elessar
Voice

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Mon May 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Does the line between a leader of the people, and yet another dictator get crossed when they start to worship them?

True, but in some ways, we could even look at it like the ancient Japanese. They believed their Emperor to be divine, yet even learned men did not believe this, though happily towed the 'party line'. Angelique may not actually be divine, but it could wrap up some of the problems old players have with associating Angelique with the Goddess Angelique. Convenience is always golden.

I find that cults formed around a living entity are rather fragile.

Just from my minor studies into history, I would say that same thing unless we were talking about the ancient Egyptians which had an empire that lasted for thousands of years. Now, ignoring them, we can look at the devout behavior of the Cult of the Emperor and you would see that it was not a huge following, but it was tenacious.

Those with enough intellect and independent though tend to not want to be oppressed by a mere mortal.

If I remember correctly, Angelique as a goddess in another game, would never have interacted to smite some mortal that was ignoring her. She would give power to her priest's spells, but never come down herself to smite, lets say, an angry Reylan Talonspyre who has lost his faith. The point is, we, as players cannot overthrow these three rulers. Nor should we. They are paragons of humanity. They are better than ourselves. Therefore, we should follow them, for they are the best. Some of us may even think that because of their paragon-ness we should worship them. It is the only natural reaction. Especially since everything else we all held dear in this world has gone to hell in a handbasket.

So, I guess that is the defense of my suggestion. I really like Voice Elessar's suggestion though too. I was thinking the exact same thing. Sort of like the Iuz thing in Greyhawk (D&D), yet this time focused on the god's portfolio instead of themselves. Perhaps a mix of both?

personality worship + ideal worship + great deeds = divinity
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Voice Elessar » Fri May 30, 2008 10:10 am

Syris continued...

As the land bridge meets the mainland it opens into a bustling city. The shoreline curves around the bay like a cresent moon with the west and east points ending in large seaside cliffs. The cliffs are littered with caves of various sizes that connect deep within the rock, this area is well known for its assassin and thieves guilds, all of which are rumored to have ties with Leto of The Underworld region. Gaurded patrols of this region are frequent.

The beach front is completely devoted to the wealthy. Lined with lavish manors that over look the bay, the view from the beach of the central island and the monuments that line the landbridge are breathtaking and highly sought after.

Behind the manors further inland lies the market place. The Market place runs the entire length of the shoreline, full of vendors and pedlars of all sorts if you can't find the item you seek here then it doesn't exist.

The defenses of the city are simple yet effective.

The waters outside of the bay are often racked by violent storms that can last weeks on end making attack by sea nearly impossible. Protecting the entrance to the bay itself is a massive coral reef that stretchs from the western side of the bay all the way to the eastern side. These features make trade by sea impossible, instead the city sees a constant flow of resources streaming in from the out lying areas of Islan.

The outside of the inland city is protected by a massive two story wall constructed of man sized granite blocks that are then lined with a light blue reflective volcanic glass. twelve feet wide the top of the wall is constantly patrolled by armed gaurds.

Thats it for now, coming soon the Temples of Justice, Order, and Truth.
Voice Elessar
Voice

Previous

Return to Stories of Tonan