Storyline Archive : First Steps

A selection of roleplay forums for the world of Tonan.

Re: The Fall of Angelique, Barnabas and Leto

Postby GoldWyvern » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:10 am

I really hate to interject here, but a lot has been written through the ages and honestly, I've not followed them very well. I always thought I wanted to join in on the RP, but it always seemed so complex, so detailed, and with people working and reworking ideas according to their own interpretations. Who was I to speak up, make a mistake? Especially since, like some players, I had taken periods of absence, and did not know what had been written in the in-between?

I humbly request that when this is all said and done, when it is decided, give me something to work with. The original Monarchy idea was too vague.. in my eyes, you could write something, but then the next guy would have a different view and who was right, who was wrong? The new ideas here are far more solid and long winded, as Souldemon mentioned, but have a lot of facts ideas that speak of a long history and that's a lot to process.

To make things simple, I would say the days of the old 'substitute deity's' never happened - maybe in the same way that was stated in the post above mine here. A separate world, or a separate time.

The the original Monarchy storyline could remain as a starting point, but with certain things clarified.. not good and evil, or right or wrong, but more solid facts such as what the three look like or what their powers are.. how they treat their followers.. their personalities.. things of that nature.

Of course, that totally goes against the long term RP that people have done. Yet, it would help some of us 'jump in' at will, with minimum research and little need to 'understand' things of the past.
Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true.
-Homer Simpson
GoldWyvern
Pickpocket

Postby SoulDemon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:33 pm

The original Monarchy idea was too vague.. in my eyes, you could write something, but then the next guy would have a different view and who was right, who was wrong?

That was the whole point of the original story, as well as any others that Dustin wrote. Its not supposed to be laid out for you, its intentionally vague and requires the writer to fill in what they think happened.

Why does there have to be a right or a wrong?
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Re: General Discussion : The Game World

Postby SoulDemon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Uh, no.

Gods will not be roleplayed by random people and players, we've already gone over this.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby GoldWyvern » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:39 pm

I don't know, I guess RP for me is more satisfying if there is a solid foundation, established facts. Saying in one RP that Leto dresses in green and then someone else says he only dresses in black simply.. bothers me. Maybe it's just me.
Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true.
-Homer Simpson
GoldWyvern
Pickpocket

Postby SoulDemon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:36 pm

Well, considering you yourself admitted you barely contributed to any of the storytelling - I'd venture to say that yes, it is in fact you.

The problem is this. If I let..lets say Grunt, roleplay as Leto for a month. Grunt has a preconcieved idea of what Leto stands for because at some point he was in a guild that followed Leto. To him, Leto may mean nothing but WAR, and if that is the way that Grunt roleplays him for a month - then that is all people are going to know. If the following Month I let say, Euph (if he came back) play him. Euph is more of a philosopher and will roleplay Leto as such. That completely contradicts what Grunt juts previously roleplayed the month before. Continuing this analogy if I decide to roleplay Leto for a couple of months - well I have options. For starters, Del Teanos was the Prophet of Leto for awhile. I could play as such. Or I could play Leto through the eyes of my murdering thief who catered towards the dark side of faith and had no morals or ideals he stuck too. But he was a follower of Leto and did every action in the name of Leto. Leto never booted him so he must of condoned it, right?

Three drastically different examples, yet three examples that tie ideals, standards and morals to a God. Three examples that put you no further closer to having a "foundation" of what Leto stands for anymore then the current storyline does - because all three examples contradict each other.

Of course the main reason I won't allow anyone to roleplay as the Gods - I don't want whats left of the game to be all fucked up. I've seen very few people who don't Godmode their own characters. For some reason I forsee a bunch of players becoming the God's #1 worshipers and right hand men with loads of unstoppable power.

I don't see any upside to roleplaying the Gods at all. I don't see any upside to allowing the Gods to be standardized any more then they already are. There's a reason that up until this point the only connection to the Gods people have had from any roleplay storyline has been through Prophets (Prophet Decae, Prophet Neurosis, Prophet Pious/Del Teanos and later on in the storyline pretty much Prophet Decae.)

I'm not opposed to that type of roleplay interaction. If someone steps out of line as a Prophet, we can always kill them off :0
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Karhedron » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:42 am

Does the opinion of the games membership count as 'random' selection?

But i understand it is a great risk to take with the game... and you can guarantee it would cock up at least once, so yeah, probably not worth it.
Prince of The Hirudan Empire
Karhedron
Pickpocket

Postby SoulDemon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:28 pm

There are very few ideas or concepts that I am not open to at least exploring or discussing.

This would be one of those very select few. I don't forsee a situation or circumstance that would ever allow me to be ok with the Gods being roleplayed for starters, muchless by anyone with the ability to destroy the very concepts the game was founded on. I don't really want to continue to beat a dead horse about this subject, and I think there are a dozen other good ideas to explore that don't revolve around players roleplaying as Gods.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Nether » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 pm

As an ex avid rp type guy (if you question my credintals(is that how you spell that word? Its such a strange word) you havn't been around long enough to be posting here anyway ;P j/k j/k) Having an actual community member assume the identity of the God i've devoted years of my life to simply scares the hell out of me and would irritate me even further. The gods work because they are different to every single person here. To try and have a single person determine that persona for the rest of us would destroy everything.
Proud member of the I've seen Venus Nekkid club
Venus-when your at war, u might fight honorably, but your still honorably dead
congrats!
Nether
Average

Postby Venus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:43 pm

) Having an actual community member assume the identity of the God i've devoted years of my life to simply scares the hell out of me and would irritate me even further. The gods work because they are different to every single person here. To try and have a single person determine that persona for the rest of us would destroy everything.

exactly!
Venus
Fervent
Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Postby Nether » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 pm

OMG!!!!

Venus and I agree.....

-watches for fire falling from the sky-
Proud member of the I've seen Venus Nekkid club
Venus-when your at war, u might fight honorably, but your still honorably dead
congrats!
Nether
Average

Postby Reggie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Welp, I write what I wrote. I don't see much point in being a part of this any longer.
Reggie
Stablehand

Postby Quedesh Verez » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

I've been thinking and... there's not really anything stopping me from, with my character, accepting or rationalizing things any way that fits best. The thing is no two characters can or must believe the same things... No two characters may view or see the same events the same.

I heard a story about a group of people all sitting at the same table when a glass of milk was spilled. And long story short each were asked afterword what they saw and experienced. The long and short answer was that their descriptions all were colored by their own professions, their prejudices, their ages, and a host of other things.

The simple thing that happened was "someone spilled the milk" The stories that came from it were vastly differing. I think if we can settle on the events from a beginning to an end as they are... Events (Sometimes less details being better), we can allow a developming of characters based on how THEY adapt and how THEY experienced or did not experience the events.

Another thing I think would help is to develop three things:

1. A map of the world (all continents islands etc.)
2. A development of a time and date system SPECIFIC to Canon.
3. A timeline of history based on that map (including various incarnations of that map)

That way we can kind of view the lands from a top down perspective. And it would allow us to develop the storyline that way for our individual characters etc. I once GMed a guild that essentially worshiped Oleana That was their take and their perception of reality. Yet they wore the blue of the mortal Angelique. It all worked out.

The other thing I'd like to see... Is and I know Kaz will prolly kill me for bringing this up. I'd like to see the Lizardmen appear in Unity. I though that for me that really helped RP and helped storyline. Now I do think that people got frustrated that the lizardpeople were so tough etc. But I was thinking that we could add them as an option for certain people who admins allow to play and make it similar to the existing races rather than no troop cap as it was in covenant. Then als require the people selected to play those realms to RP on a regular basis as a requirement to play that race. Also let them join guilds perhaps.

I just think that even though people got upset it was only because they were so strong and they needed to be because they were UG as well so... btu to maybe add them into the game from one age to another just as staff feels and when they feel. It's something different and out of the box, but when managed well it realy works.

Just my two cents.

-Verez
The Man of the HOUSE
-House of Cards-
Quedesh Verez
Stablehand

Postby Eisheth » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:54 pm

I have one question really. IF the Gods are mortal now it is allowed to RP a coup against one of them in an attempt to take their place, thereby possibly destroying said God/Goddess and making way for new ones?

In other words a dedicated Letite might suddenly switch to say Barnabus in an attempt to curry favor and trust only to see Barnabus slain. Surely there's got to be some fanatics who'd do such a thing and if they were successful might then realize their own power and seek to slay the remaining two.
<Seska>Its just that I'm so lucky to have a guild full of blood thirsty savages to work with, so everyone thinks stupid and insane and violent is good.
I carry Kain in my heart
Co-GM of DR/Ordo
Eisheth
Pickpocket

Postby Quedesh Verez » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:20 pm

I probably should have posted my other post in this thread but just my two cents.

Do we have to be extreamly specific about everything that's happened in order to RP it? I used the example in my other post of a group of people all witnessing the same event and being interviewed afterwords.

All of them would essentially have very different stories but the facts would remain the same. I feel that something similar here would be good. It's something that I've seen, being a Zelda fan, for a long time. Everyone has their view of the storyline and Nintendo seems to prefer it that way. Themes repeat the story goes on but nobody is really sure exactly where it's going next. This makes it a really great game for writing Fan Fiction.

I sort of like the idea of viewing canon like that. What would help me RP more, honetly is if we did the following.

Developed a date/time system.
Developed a history of events based on that sort of system.
(Insted of having each gorey detail spelled out just have "around such time Oleana disappeared)

Also a map of Tonan in it's varying forms would be great. IE the Monarchy version, the original evernight version. Based on how the games looked for each. Then maybe we can draw some exact lines for how the terrain changed but do we NEED to know WHY?

My point is that I would RP much easier and more often if things had a little more structure... and a little less. The Elves in Calael os si Eilol essentially worshiped the idea of Oleana however their political allegience was to Angelique. It was our angle. But that's jez my two cents.

-Verez.
The Man of the HOUSE
-House of Cards-
Quedesh Verez
Stablehand

Postby Sturm » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:51 am

SoulDemon wrote:Of course the main reason I won't allow anyone to roleplay as the Gods - I don't want whats left of the game to be all fucked up. I've seen very few people who don't Godmode their own characters. For some reason I forsee a bunch of players becoming the God's #1 worshipers and right hand men with loads of unstoppable power.

Yeah the staff of the abyss Pyren had in Maxim was way toned down, so was his strength as a titan, and I'm glad it was as it kept a sense of realistic constraint in the character. I think the only chcarcter to at least fight a god was Azrael.
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Postby Lilim_Savanant » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:44 pm

wow, i haven't been here in ages and i just thought i'd come strolling through to see how everything is going on and i must say this thread has really captured my attention.

just thought i'd throw in a quick two cents, but obviously i've not kept up in a long while and people can feel free to throw my ideas out of the water where they dont fit.

Oleana represented a peacful aspect. But perhaps upon her death (via murder, sacrifice, etc. whichever idea seems most fitting with current work in progress) her power wasn't lost, but simply scattered without the goddess acting as a focal point or pillar for this power. This scattered essence could have spread across the lands and infused the hearts and minds of the world's inhabitants, bringing about the peace which would cause the decline in power of the other three gods.

If this power is now scattered across the lands it would have been up for grabs by any minor deities or spirits, leading to the growth of the three newer gods.

anyway, that's just my first thoughts. perhaps i shall think on it more
Sousa kanashimi wo yasashisa ni jibun rashisa wo chikara ni
Lilim_Savanant
Peasant

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 pm

Without changing the story, and please pardon me because I am new to this, but instead using the tested method of Forgotten Realms, why not try something like this ... in outline format obviously:

1. Murder of Olander (Monarchy)
The first war between the gods.

2. The Rise and Fall of Oleana (Monarchy: Adding the 4th Faith)
The addition of Oleana to the story and her demise (whatever that turns out to be).

3. The Age of the Prophets (Evernight v.1)
After the porting of Monarchy to Evernight, the prophets Solice, Diman, and Mina are introduced during a time when the gods have fallen silent. This is a time of reduced magic ... blah blah blah blah.

4. The New Pantheon (Evernight v.2)
After the prophets had worked their shiznit, in come Darden, Isonia, and Foret to reclaim the world of Tonan. They wanted it for themselves because of the absence of Olandar's children.

5. The Avatar Crisis (Evernight v.3)
I stole that from FR, but the idea is similar, Angelique, Barnabas, and Leto are born mortal in a time where there are no gods and the people's sights turn to this Old Empire. The Empire is torn asunder by civil war with these "Anakin Skywalker-born" Jesus Children. IE Immaculate Conception, etc. etc. at the forefront of the war. They are powerful and can uniquely have sway over mortals, for whatever reasons.

6. The Return of Angelique, Barnabas, and Leto (Evernight v.4)
The path of ascension to god hood allows them to take upon their former portfolios and again stretch their influence out throughout the world. The old gods are back, their path through the nether realms is left open, because they were gods, born mortal, ascended again to god hood and we can all just write Foret, Darden, and Isonia right out ... as though there were interoom gods that took over while the people looked for something to worship.

Side Note: You could go off the idea from Forgotten Realms and Stargate SG1 that when you worship an Avatar or Ascended Being (ie God) they get more powerful and can then take on portfolios such as Law, Chaos, and War.

I am sorry if I interrupted a good discussion with useless crap.
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Okay, I will put this forth because I had time to write it and took as much from the original stories as possible. Hack away at it, it is not very good, but I thought that it might help a bit and show what I was trying to do in the last post ... hopefully it isn't too long.
When one wishes to understand the existence of a thing, some scholars would tell you that you must understand its past before you can determine what something is in the present and what it will be in the future. Scholars disagree if this is true with the world we find ourselves a part of now, because, for most of recorded history, the Empire has stood as a pillar of law and order, protection and defense, as well as a variety of other noble virtues in the whirling maelstrom that is our world.

From decrepit libraries and ancient stele we few historians can say that the world we know had existed before our island continent of Islan. Yet no scholar can tell you how it is possible that the kingdom or a tree can exist before the land it was built upon. Some philosophers state that it is because the idea of those things existed far before land or earth was created. The ideas of a justice, honor, order, and chaos all existed before man, elf, or goblin ever stepped foot upon this world. But enough of what we, the academics trapped in our libraries and the scribes busily putting to paper the findings of the caged, do not understand. Let us weave the tale of what we do know, for it is far more fantastic than anything any one man, elf, or goblin has ever put to paper.

Long ago, there was but one God. This God was lonely within the heavens and so he created our world. For what reasons the deity created it, we do not know, nor can fathom due to its vast and superior intellect. The deity begot three children, Leto, Barnabas, and the fair maiden Angelique. The deity also created mortals to be ruled over by the God Children he had begot. We call this epoch, the Age of Creation, because, much like all good things, it came to a most bloody end.

The God Children conspired against their father and in their haste to take his power, murdered him and set the world on an inevitable path towards chaos. The One God’s eldest son, Barnabas, stood accused of the crime. Hastily sentenced by his brother and sister, Leto and Angelique, Barnabas was disfigured and banished from the heavens. But Angelique and Leto were unable to trust one another and soon the immortal plane upon which they dwelt was torn asunder by war as each God struggled to win the deity’s crown. We call this epoch, the Age of Pantheons.

Amidst this tremendous upheaval, one among the millions of mortals ascended to godhood. Some claimed she was a pretender or a usurper, some that she was no deity at all, while still others claimed that she was the One God reborn. Her followers called her Oleana, the Gypsy Queen and the Mother of Earth, the bringer of peace and the one that would end the wars. But her arrival brought with it a new storm of war, for none of the three siblings accepted her place among them.

Our information about this time is sketchy at best, but needless to say, all information on these God Children was washed away with the blood of countless mortal men and women. What we do know is that these God Children did not survive a cataclysmic event that rendered them cast off from their immortal plane and disconnected from the world we know. Some scholars suggest that it was the intervention of Oleana that caused such an upheaval in the heavens that cast these three powerful beings from the world their father had created. Unfortunately, we will never know, for it was during this time we now call the Age of Mortals that things began to change.

Three prophets, espousing the old tenets of the faith for each of the three God Children arose on our world and gathered followers from every tribe, clan, and nation. The three prophets, Solace, Diman, and Mina came upon our world like wildfire and their renewed quest for glory and domination led us again into the maelstrom of both war and death. Armies clashed and the world was again rendered lifeless from the war that ensued, a common theme in these epic stories.

After the death of these three prophets, the absence of both the God Children and the faith of their supplicants that had once sustained them left a void in the celestial planes. From beyond our world, three Gods of unknown origin came to power within the heavens. Upon the celestial plane, the Gods came into existence much like mortal children, born alive though without parents to rear them. The mortal men and women of our world were enamored by this new pantheon and allegiances were quickly formed. War it would seem was on the horizon yet again. We call this epoch the Age of the New Pantheon.

Foret was born with a smile. His eyes gleaming with the goodness that was his making and his hands held the mighty staff of justice. Pride was his pedestal; he was righteous above all others. He was first born, he was - the eldest. Each of his followers instantly fell in love, aligning himself with his pureness.

Next evolved Isonia, beautiful Isonia. Her gentle hands grasped the handle of a double-sided battle-axe. The goddess of equality was simply exquisite in her beauty contrasted so brightly with the stark implement of war in her hand. Her eyes displayed a dark brooding sense that portrayed an inner struggle never to truly be won. She ignored Foret and later Darden because to her, they were of no importance. She was the great one; her followers understood immediately that she was the true and only goddess.

Darden the clever one was born with a bowl in his hand. The bowl was hidden from view and many a legend was concocted of its contents. The truth is known alone in one ancient scroll, that the bowl was full of despair. The world about him was one of vibrant life and ingenious discovery. Each day a child learning, a baby crawling, a man finding new and better ways, and this was his world. The despair came from their constant deaths, so quick to claim a newborn or an innocent. No rhyme, no reason. His bowl was fabled to become larger, fuller, and darker as time plodded forth. In truth, his despair began to overflow the bowl, causing him to drink from it. The results would be showered amongst his people. They had known him as Darden the caring, and on his good days that still rang true, but on his malignant days, he became known as the Demon of Tismad.

There was a period of pure peace that reigned. It was immeasurable, as are the good deeds that were done during that time. But all things change. All things evolve - as we beings die and are reborn, so do worlds and gods. In this case, the change was not our fault, but because of us.

The first death, what is now called the Simple Sin, occurred when a follower of Foret was manipulated into murdering a follower of Darden over a woman. The rage spread through the realms as the gods fed the fuel for their own selfish needs. The Last Sin was the true breaking of the gods' unity. It is the first clash known to us and involved all three. They were seen directly battling over the skies of Tismad. Their energy pouring forth caused storms, floods, hurricanes and rock slides. Perhaps a blink of an eye to them, but to us it was devastating. Much of our industry crashed around us and has never been rebuilt. The learning and prosperity that we had enjoyed were mostly gone now. Now, each follower, each fanatic was once again devout. For one thing was certain: only one god would remain when the death toll was ended.

The war raged over eons and in time, the same fate that had befallen the God Children befell Foret, Darden, and Isonia. The heavens again were silent and the world was again plunged into darkness. But from this darkness came a new light: the Empire. Without God or prophet to guide them, mortals created a grand Empire. Through military might and political guile, the world was again united and Islan was created as we remembered it a decade ago. We call this epoch, the Age of Self-Reliance.

As you know now, though, we live in an Empire divided. Three mortals hold the power of life and death, of the seething undergrounds, and of the pious priests. With a powerful and loyal following, Angelique, Barnabas and Leto, have began the civil war that will finally unite, or destroy, our lands. The historians tell us of the links to the past. That these are the reincarnated souls of the Gods themselves, in the flesh of the mortals they battled over so long ago. While the rants of the old go on, war and political intrigue have cast a stark shadow across all that we hold dear.

Angelique, the self-proclaimed Queen of Islan, ruled her land with a steady grip. The rule of law permeated every aspect of her method. On occasion, the rumors would speak of harsh responses, oppression and deft cruelty. But with those rumors also came the ringing endorsements of those who believed in the compassion of blind justice.

Raised in an older House of the Empire, a quiet dignity hangs on the shoulders of young Barnabas. Each action taken, each stance held with forethought and a preponderance of the effects on all his subjects. Only a few close advisors have his ear, and with this come opinions of arrogance, untested wisdom, and the impression of being manipulated. On the battlefield however, this grace and steady deliberation is revered, by enemies and soldiers alike.

Leto, the smartest of three, rose to fame in circles not mentioned in polite conversation. An ear to the ground, a man of the people, his following has grown with a deep personal commitment to those around him. The name Leto has a dual edged meaning to many, wild, chaotic, and unpredictable while at the same time conjuring images of a generous, charismatic leader with a penchant for caring for the poor.

Now, after a decade of civil war, and as you are reading my last correspondence, your time has come. Choose quickly. Your life and the lineage of our family depend on this moment."

The servant catches your eye, "Shall I take a note?"
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Kaz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:48 pm

This whole process has taken a long time, and we've never really got beyond the basic plot points (which are historical for use anyway)

I have one idea that will probably not work because there is a lack of roleplay here. Following something Sunblade said, I am contemplating advertising on some sites that have very high traffic of roleplayers.

I've taken the 8 era's of time, much like Reylan did, but included them all for neatness.

Era.1) The Exiled God
Olander, father of the Gods has been murdered. Barnabas, accused by his sister Angelique and brother Leto, is cast out of heaven.
Gods: Barnabas, Angeliqe, Leto

Era.2) The Green Goddess
Oleana ascends to Godhood from the Mortal plane.
Gods: Barnabas, Angeliqe, Leto, Oleana

Era.3) Rumours of The Great Mystery
Noone knows exactly what happened but Barnabas, Angelqiue, Leto and Oleana stopped answering prayers.
Gods: None

Era.4) Time of Prophecy
The prophets Diman, Mina and Solas pick up the pieces of a Godless world, promising the return of the Gods
Prophets: Diman, Mina, Solas

Era.5) The Moon Gods
Foret, Isonia and Darden form from the peoples prayers, and take up their seat in Heaven
Gods: Foret, Isonia, Darden

Era.6) War of the two Trinities
Barnabas, Angelique and Leto return to take their Heaven back from the ursurper Gods.
Gods: Barnabas, Angelique, Leto, Foret, Isonia, Darden

Era.7) Land of the Lizard Kings
To escape the destruction of Maxim, some inhabitants flee through a portal to a new world inhabited by a race of Lizards
Gods: None

Era.8) The Mortal King
Having destroyed the ursurpers. Barnabas, Angelique and Leto find themselves reborn on Tonan as mortals. Each now strives to be the first to reascend to Godhood, and claim Olanders old throne as the One God.
Mortals: Barnabas, Angeliqe, Leto

We could just make 8 subforums of this forum, and have new roleplay all of the eras. Could even spend a bit of time transfering old roleplay thread out of archives into era's 5-8.

I suppose that feasibly (if this site ever become populated again) we could have the occassional game that is set in one of the other 7 Era's.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
Kaz
Retired Admin

Postby Sunblade » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:02 am

I'd boil it down even further. Based on what Suv wrote:

1) Murder in Heaven
Olander, father of the Gods has been murdered. Barnabas, accused by his sister Angelique and brother Leto, is cast out of heaven. The three gods fight to take their father's throne.
Gods: Barnabas, Angeliqe, Leto

2) Goddess Ascendant
Oleana ascends to Godhood from the Mortal plane and - after seeing her faithful distort her cause - sacrifices herself to cast out Olander's children.
Gods: Barnabas, Angeliqe, Leto, Oleana

3) The New Trinity
Oleana's sacrifice awakens the new trinity from within the three moons.
Gods: Foret, Isonia, Darden

4) The War in Heaven
Barnabas, Angelique and Leto return to take their heaven back from the ursurper Gods. They eventually defeat the usurpers but find their power reduced enough that they themselves are forced to walk amongst men rather than regain their seats in heaven.
Mortals: Barnabas, Angeliqe, Leto

I'd ignore the prophets and stick with a (very) brief version of this for the kingdom creation screen, which concentrates on the current situation - the original three gods are triumphant but weakened. Are they reduced to mortality? Will they age and die if they cannot somehow regain their power? Are they even the original gods at all, or humans masquerading as deities with the moon gods banished by huge ritual or some other force altogether?
"I like the word 'indolence'. It makes my laziness sound classy."
-Bern Williams
Sunblade
Retired Admin

Postby Sunblade » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:32 am

Thinking about it, I'd have the "create kingdom" link take them to the following story in a similar way to the splash page of Mo'Pri - then clicking "continue" would present them with the kingdom creation screen and a rundown of the current situation, with links to the middle history of Oleana, the downfall of the original triumverate, Forest/Isonia/Darden, and the story of the original gods' return. It's partly pleasing and partly frustrating that we simply have too much material to put on one page for easy consumption.

Leaning heavily on Suv's stuff, mostly because I enjoy what he writes.

Murder in Heaven

The earliest stories from the long-lived Elves tell of a time when all races and creeds worshipped Olander above all else - the god who sculpted the world and created all who walk upon it. His children stood together beneath his throne, foremost amongst them Barnabas, the first born, the keeper of Traditions and Rulership. To Barnabas’ right stood Angelique, the maker of Laws for a world that had none, and to his left, Leto - the bringer of Freedom for those without voice. The world was at peace, and civilisation flourished.

This golden age ended abruptly when the Heavens were shaken by Olander's death.

The creator god was found slumped against his throne, discovered by Barnabas who let out an almighty cry of anguish which drew his siblings to the throne. Angelique was quick to accuse Barnabas of patricide, for he held the weapon when she came upon the scene. Leto, sensing opportunity, echoed her accusation. Barnabas attempted to proclaim his innocence, but the combined power of his equals were too great. Disfigured and blinded by his siblings, he was cast from Heaven to the Earth below. Freed from their brother’s balance, the remaining two fell upon each other like wolves and all the heavens and all the waters and the entire firmament shuddered with the force of their conflict; a war which found its way to the mortal realms, where huge armies raised the banner of their gods and entire civilisations fell under the sword.

When the dust settled in heaven and in the mortal realm, each of Olander's children found that he or she was not strong enough to defeat the others - though their pride, arrogance and jealousy dictated that no stand off could be negotiated. Instead, their mortal followers ground themselves into a bitter stalemate on battlefield after battlefield with nothing of any permanence gained. And so the Seat of Heaven stood vacant, with none of the triumverate able to claim their father's throne. The death of wise Olander in heaven brought centuries of senseless slaughter to his world of Tonan, and the war continues to this day - a war into which you yourself will shortly be plunged under your chosen banner.
"I like the word 'indolence'. It makes my laziness sound classy."
-Bern Williams
Sunblade
Retired Admin

Postby Karhedron » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:46 am

Tch.... reducing to 4 stages means there's no hope of an uber cool 6 faction age. ;)
Prince of The Hirudan Empire
Karhedron
Pickpocket

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:31 pm

6 factions?

Dear god, I would be some people have seizures just from trying to figure out what that means.

Might as well just let everyone choose a guild color from the old factions (silver, blue, gold, red, orange, purple) and then have the game do what it did before in LGS, attack anyone, even your own faction.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby SoulDemon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:02 pm

To be perfectly honest the Prophets were never supposed to be in Canon.

I'd agree with Sunny there, they could be omitted or combined with one of the other ages.

Not sure what this 6 faction age you are talking about being is.
Last I recall this was about writing the storyline for Monarchy/Canon, not about creating a game based off of it. We already have a game, it has three Gods and a storyline already.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:44 pm

I think editing out the prophets is a great idea. They kind of make things overly complicated and were not really around for all that long (but my memory sucks).
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

PreviousNext

Return to Stories of Tonan