Questions, Comments, Concerns (OOC)

- Archive Forum for Old Games.
(Calam, Speed, Christmas, Debacle, etc.)

Questions, Comments, Concerns (OOC)

Postby SoulDemon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:48 pm

Post them here. Please keep your game bragging and general game related banter to a OOC thread that isn't this one ;>

I'm looking for just general comments and questions.

Thanksie.
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby StoneKeep » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:50 pm

Okay, Just read your other Thread, this Post is Not Needed... Sorry...
StoneKeep
Pickpocket

Postby Jilhad » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:26 am

These 'twists', are they simply random interactions, or do they have some organization or higher purpose or guidance? No specifics needed, or even an outright answer really, just curious. :wink:

If we roleplay sufficiently (as per Maxim), do we get rewards, or perhaps 'punishment from the land'?

I know this is not Maxim, but I suppose I should ask... :twisted:
A rolling stone is worth two in the bush.
Jilhad
Pickpocket

Postby General Andy Icarn » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:03 pm

does the war declaration still drop after 3 days of non action on the part of one of the players? it seems to me this could lead to lots of problems if so because...
1. you beat on their rebuilt forts long enough and you get nothing for winning a war before the declare goes off.
2. you take a turnset timeout to rebuild structs like temples so they don't counter-mass temps on you and you risk hitting the 3 day barrier and losing your war declare.
3. related to 2, 175 actions is like 43-44 hours of turns so if you miss one day of hitting for one of a variety of reasons you hit 86-88 hours or over 3 days which would drop the declare.
-={Lialia}=-
{Barnabas}SOL
I'm in FEL?
General Andy Icarn
Journeyman

Postby Stryfe » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:18 pm

Just CS them for an acre every 3 days if that's a problem.

IMO extending the time will only allow people to hide behind war declarations.
WeeC
Hall Of Fame
im in a place full of leto's im scared and cold :(
Stryfe
Azn Invasion ZOMG!

Postby General Andy Icarn » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:17 am

too tired, must sleep...
-={Lialia}=-
{Barnabas}SOL
I'm in FEL?
General Andy Icarn
Journeyman

Postby Maso » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:42 am

Stryfe wrote:Just CS them for an acre every 3 days if that's a problem.

If there is non action the war should be dropped.

Does that actually consitute a war? CS them every three days? Sounds like a coward’s way of avoid war.Just trying to beat the system.

Hence why I am not a fan of the set up. There should be a time limit (5days to a week) a person should be allow to be at war with one kingdom.
Maso
Pickpocket

Postby Maso » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:43 am

Stryfe wrote:Just CS them for an acre every 3 days if that's a problem.

If there is non action the war should be dropped.

Does that actually consitute a war? CS them every three days? Sounds like a coward’s way of avoid war.Just trying to beat the system.

Hence why I am not a fan of the set up. There should be a time limit (5days to a week) a person should be allow to be at war with one kingdom.
Maso
Pickpocket

Postby Dante » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:06 am

its fine as it is. 5 days would be abusing the system. 3 days is enough for the minimum time.

5 days would just make people abuse that. Im betting you want 5 days so 3 you hit and 2 you build. I say 3 enough to hit. 2 extra days of building will let you risk it for someone to hit you.
If Youre Not Smart You Better Be Strong
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are ~ Its our choices
Sucks To Be A Heathen
!~Kitasstrophy~! WeeC
Dante
Squire

Postby Maso » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:19 pm

I was suggest 5 days as the maxium about of days you can be declear on a kingdom. Not 5 days between hits.

Two week long wars do not make sence to me. That I believe is abusing the system.
Maso
Pickpocket

Postby Ferlinc » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:52 am

Hey SD,

I realize this might take more work than I think or you might not want to do it, but thought I'd at least suggest it.

Would it be possible to have a time peace is declared like on the guild war page? Or a peace page?

I can see why you might want to delete things after a certain time because of all the wars declared, but maybe keep a peace declaration up for two days and then have it the war declaration removed?
Covenant
Where the game becomes the story...
...and the story becomes the game.

rabid
Ferlinc
Journeyman

Postby O'Leary » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:09 pm

I have a concern.

I was looking at possible wars today and everyone is "at war". I few people have been at war for 12 days and their targets are ranked 180 while they are in the top 30.

Is it possible that people are abusing the system by keeping their wars going to avoid being hit? I realize that wars do go long and that the system of not allowing external help is great.

But could it be possible that friends are declaring on each other and just hitting a random sorc a shield button to keep the war protection on??
Leprechaun Overlord
-Retired- Sorta
O'Leary
Stablehand

Postby Treznor » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:44 pm

Another consideration O'Leary, particularly in a game like this, is that those high-rankers may be trying to actually kill off the low-rankers. I wouldn't say that's the case in all the situations, but it's probably the case moreso than it would be in Solo.
Mykayla's Massa, or she's mine... It depends.
<Alhana>tara hosts with me hehe so when I go down she goes down :-)
Treznor
Peasant

Postby Jesenia » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:39 pm

I would be one of those Treznor is talking about. It's not as though my opponent couldn't have done something against me, he's chosen not to. Deciding instead to tithe in an effort to rebuild forts and hire dragons after each time I take some land. I'll admit I have other reasons now to see it through, but Calam is designed for all but 1 to go, what difference does it makes if it's now or later?
"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection."
Jesenia
Stablehand

Postby Cindy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:16 pm

Well...... I would say I am stuck in one of those wars as well.
However, I am forced to kill because he is the one that declared on me. I took almost all his land in the retalitory strike. I expected the war declare would have been dropped when there was well over a week and no interaction between us. I built and was 1/2 expecting to be attacked. Well the land is all built and I went looking for a war... guess what? I am still declared on this guy.. sinse he declared, I guess I am stuck. I am forced to kill him so I can continue to play. So, now I drop everything I got and spend 50 or so turns attacking with less than 100 dragons, then refort, just incase he undeclares. I waste plenty of turns, but I see no recourse.

What are we supposed to do with people that declare, then just quit playing? This guy hasn't spent a turn in a very long time, but he is declared on me, forcing me to kill him. I expect he will be dead next set of full turns. He only has 345 acres left, but it does take a long time to kill like this.
Cindy
Pickpocket

Postby O'Leary » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:29 pm

Well I totally understand both of your situations. I guess I was being a little more suspcious than I needed to be.

Good luck
Leprechaun Overlord
-Retired- Sorta
O'Leary
Stablehand

Postby Maso » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:48 pm

Cindy wrote: What are we supposed to do with people that declare, then just quit playing? This guy hasn't spent a turn in a very long time, but he is declared on me, forcing me to kill him. I expect he will be dead next set of full turns. He only has 345 acres left, but it does take a long time to kill like this.

Wouldn't it be quicker and take less turns to kill his population thru scor or scum Cindy?
Maso
Pickpocket

Postby Annomander Rake » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:11 am

Just want to confirm that the reset won't touch Calam, Decae's post could just mean he didn't get teh scores but was gonna reset it anyways.

Sorry to bug yas.
Formerly known as TassadarR
_-~* ISA *~-_
~ Blasphemous Rumours ~
I Roll Twenties
Annomander Rake
Stablehand

Postby Stryfe » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:55 pm

I'd like to see that after people undeclare from war there is a 12hr period in which they cannot re-declare but can be attacked.

that way you can't get away with hiding in war until you are ready to atack again, then hitting someone else right away and never having to worry about being hit.
WeeC
Hall Of Fame
im in a place full of leto's im scared and cold :(
Stryfe
Azn Invasion ZOMG!

Postby Darnivan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:13 pm

*Agrees with Stryfe*

Rake, It wouldn't be much of a last man standing game if it only lasted a few weeks and 80% of the players are still alive :)
Lost Soul of SOLO
Darnivan
Pickpocket

Postby Annomander Rake » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:38 pm

That's true but maybe SD forgot to install the "DO NOT RESET GAME TILL LMS" tag at the top of the game file? :P

Iono. Just wanted to make sure :)

edit: Stryfe I agree in principle to what you're trying to achieve but maybe you'd just be inviting people to hide in their current wars longer before finish up, to make sure they could take a first strike.
Formerly known as TassadarR
_-~* ISA *~-_
~ Blasphemous Rumours ~
I Roll Twenties
Annomander Rake
Stablehand

Postby Cindy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:39 pm

Yes Stryfe.. agreed. I have proof of the current 1st prince looting other kingdoms seen, while at war. I have proof he sits in war until he is ready to declare again, and he declares on a kingdom 1/2 his NW.

Eventually only those that play like Mr. Toe will be left.. so what does this game really prove? Nothing in my opinion. I enjoy playing, but these people that hide in war and hit down, and blatantly steal millions "seen" and we have no recourse to retaliate need to be stopped....somehow.
Cindy
Pickpocket

Postby Grunt » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:00 pm

agree stryfe
conversly if you kill someone a 12 hr period where you can not be attacked
maybe the 12 hr open to attack could start then
a small benefit for actually killing someone
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
Grunt
Upper Royalty

Postby Cindy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:41 am

Actually... how about some sort of coding, that allows those that have been offensively injured, .. for example seen looting and burning... or maybe even unseen burning or looting.. however.. it might be hard to identify the culprit.... but perhaps you could allow these kingdoms to join into a war in progress if the kingdom at war has injured you. Too many hiding in a war, looting seen, knowing full well all they got to do is keep their scum just over 9% less than you and they are home free.

Nobody would have even thought about looting a kingdom of 300 million unless they had planned a war with them, or were so powerful nobody could touch them with warrior, scum or sorc, but this is NOT what is happening here.. all they need to do is silence the scum and they are safe in their comfortable war.

I like the idea of non interference in a war, and the sessation of the gangbanging. I like the fact a kingdom at war can still be scouted and looted... how ever retaliation should be afforded the victim. If you loot another kingdom, not your at war target, you should be able to withstand what ever punishment thay deem appropriate... you should forfeit your protection from this kingdom. That should end these cowardly loots.
Cindy
Pickpocket

Postby Ertai2 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:50 am

Stryfe's idea does seem good to me. "My lord, the people will not stand for another war so soon!"
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary, and those who don't.
OAFS
Ertai2
Stablehand

Next

Return to Old Games Archive