Warchats on the Evernight IRC server

- Archive of the Guilds Game.

Warchats on the Evernight IRC server

Postby Sunblade » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:14 am

Hi folks.

As I'm sure everyone's aware, people can have warchats in their own private rooms on the Evernight IRC server (accessible via the chat applets linked on the front page, or by mIRC or some similar program). This is all well and good, and it's something we're more than happy to provide.

However, if people go into warchats while also remaining in the #Evernight chat room, potential problems arise. If you're changing your chatname to include your kingdom number, as many do in warchats, it also shows up in the Evernight chat. Not only does this inform every player in the chatroom that your guild is about to hit someone, it also gives them your kingdom number.

So - if you're going to have a warchat in IRC, make sure that your guild members are not in the main #Evernight channel before they change their kingdom name. This can be done either by not going there in the first place (and entering your guild channel directly), or by typing "/part #evernight".

If GMs and warchat runners can please make their members aware of this, it'd be great. Ta.

Thanks to Betaflame and Holden for making me aware of the problem.
"I like the word 'indolence'. It makes my laziness sound classy."
-Bern Williams
Sunblade
Retired Admin

Postby Betaflame » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:05 pm

If you are having trouble with IRC, either the applet or mIRC, or any of the ChanServ and NickServ commands, Caile, Holden, and I can generally help. At any given moment, there is likely one of us, at least, that is not idle ;p

Feel free to ask any questions. You can also ICQ me, or PM me. I might be a little slow responding to PMs, I forget to check them.

We do our best to make sure you have relative privacy in your warchats. I can show you how to prevent (registered) channels from showing on lists. Keep in mind, that using the Applet, you do join the main #Evernight room first, which can alert anyone in an opposing guild. If you are running, or joining, a warchat, I recommend downloading mIRC at http://www.mirc.com

Holden wrote a very comprehensive IRC guide that can be found in NPA, but I will link it HERE for ease of finding.

As always, your friendly IRC Ops are here to help :) Dont be afraid to approch us with a problem. While I might seen to be a true asshat on the boards, even if I dont personally like you, I will do my best to help you solve whatever problems you might have.[/url]
Take my love, take my land; Take me where I cannot stand; I don't care, I'm still free; You can't take the sky from me.
Betaflame
Pickpocket

Postby Holden » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:26 pm

The guide is relatively straightforward and designed to cover the basics, but little problems may arise because:

1) IRC is very picky with how your type in commands
2) I'm human and I may have made a mistake in writing the guide

I'm usually somewhat pleasant to deal with and often (now at least) on in the evenings to help out. Feel free to check in with the IRC staff if you have any questions. We're pretty good at figuring things out and/or getting answers.
And I've seen your flag on the marble arch
And love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah
Holden
Head Elder of Quid

Postby Holden » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:40 pm

Just wanted to make another note--

If your guild does have strikes on the Evernight server, please notify your guildmates about this, whether by just telling them or if you're in the position to do so, adding it to your guild's banner.

Also, for your protection, if you connect to Evernight IRC after a warchat on a different server, make sure your nick doesn't have a number in it before you come in. It sometimes happens, but you can easily avoid it.

If you're in the main Evernight room and your nick changes to include a kingdom number in it, you may be asked to change your nick or leave the channel. If you do not respond, you will very likely be kicked from the #evernight channel with little or possibly no warning. It's nothing personal and it might sound a little harsh, but it's just the rules being enforced. The IRC rules are very similar to board rules.

Once your chat is finished, or once you don't have a kingdom number in your nick, you're more than welcome to come back and join in the general discussion in #evernight.
Holden
Head Elder of Quid

Postby Tara » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:13 pm

I just went in the main Evernight chat room to check before posting this...

If you connect to a private room directly through mIRC, rather than going into the main Evernight chat an' switching channels from there, your name will not show up on the Evernight channel list.

So for those who hold warchats on their own channel on the Evernight server, you can put this as a link on your banner, when clicked, it will open your mIRC & go directly to your guild's private room bypassing the main Evernight room all t'gether an' not leave your name behind.

"<a href=irc://irc.evernight.com:6667/#YOUR ROOM NAME HERE>Name for Link Here</a>" ...without the " " .

I'm sure there's still a way for people with ops to see who's on what channel but at least your name won't show in the main room for just anyone on #Evernight to see that yer guild is online t'gether ;>
Tara
The Wenchie

Postby Holden » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:04 am

Good point as far as connecting through mIRC. The larger problem we have though is with users connecting through the applet since it automatically puts people in #evernight rather than a guild room. Often they then proceed to a guild chat and don't realize they're still connected to #evernight.

But to answer/clarfiy something Tara brought up: According to Arch, the default setting is that users are invisible on the server, so even with a room that's not marked secret, the average IRC user won't be able to find the channel in the listing and get a list of the users in it. As far I know only IRC admin are able to do such things and really, we have better things to do. :wink:

However, if the guild chat room is put in secret mode (+s), the channel won't show up in the channel list. When it's not in secret mode, people can do a check of the channel list and see the topic and number of people in the chat. It's an extra simple step to keep prying eyes out.
Holden
Head Elder of Quid

Postby Archangel » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:21 am

Just to clarify a bit on what Holden said:

It's always best to put your warchat room on secret mode (+s). This can be done by an op in the channel doing /mode #YourRoom +s

Once that is finished, the channel will not show up on the /list (except to people in that channel already). There is also a command which allows people to see who is in a chat channel. The default is that most uses will not show when this command is used. However, if the channel is +s, users will not show when this command is used, plus, if someone does a /whois on a person in a +s channel, that +s channel will not show in the users info.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing. If anyone has any further questions about the IRC server, keeping channels secure, etc, as Beta mentioned up there, there are a number of people around that can help you, myself included. Feel free to contact me via IRC or any of the methods listed in my profile should no one else be available.

-Archangel
IRC Admin
~Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall~
Captain of the Guard
WoR
Archangel
Stablehand

Postby Gogreen » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:46 pm

I remember an Archangel...do you remember me?
You took me under yer wing..
~If you don't stand for something,then you'll die for nothing!~
-TDoD~Guilds...CK~Valid -
I am not the hand of god..I am the thorn
Gogreen
Stablehand

Return to Guilds