AHHHHHHHHHHHH = Comprehensive exams

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

AHHHHHHHHHHHH = Comprehensive exams

Postby Mickal Redwater » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Well since the "bye everyone " threads will hopefully stop now that there has been great news of TB surviving and even a new version of the game (or whtever happens) I figure its time to go back to talking about real stuff (or silly stuff)

In my case.. real stuff.

I'm freaking out! AHHHHHHH stress!

I have 2 weeks til my comprehensive oral exam (already did the written part). This is basically the point where i go from being a 'Masters' student to a true 'PhD' student, but not really in my field. Basically this is a 3 hour exam where i give two 15 min presentations an then the committee has 2.5 hours to drill me on any question they deem fit :P

I'm nervous as hell! If i fail, im basically out of the program (and i guess a job) :( if i succeed i begin my dissertation (and get a small raise :P like $100 a month)

SOOOO i'm going crazy and stressed and need advice on how to stay calm by anyone whose been through similar stuff, or is just good at public speaking/preparing for that stuff etc. I'm good at equations and numbers and solving problems, not talking to people :P

Anyone interested these are my topics:

"The composition of Dwarfs in the Solar Neighborhood" with respect to exosolar planets

"Marine Aerosols as Prebiotic Containers" or a theory for the origin of cells.

The first one being my prime project and what my thesis will be based off of. the other just a little project we have to do something that is outside our immediate field.
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket

Re: AHHHHHHHHHHHH = Comprehensive exams

Postby TEVA » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 pm

I cant help you but I can wish you good luck!
"Gratitude is a mark of a noble soul and a refined character. We like
to be around those who are grateful. They tend to brighten all around them.

OAFS
TEVA
Squire

Postby owly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:29 pm

i wish i can help you too but i can't. i can wish you luck tho, good luck....
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
owly
Master Knight

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 pm

well the question is, do you know your stuff?
if you do, there is NO reason to be nervous

public speaking is easy. you simply just remember that those people are real people, they are potential friends. and you speak to them as you would someone you are having a conversation with, with respect of course, not like your buddys:P

dont be nervous about the public speaking part.
be confident. go in thinking your gonna ace it cause its something you KNOW and then act the part:Pp

if you come off as confident , calm and collected they will take their cue from you and respond accordingly.
remember, your body language says alot. dont fidget, and always look the one speaking to you or asking you a question in the eye as u answer and listen.

take a xanax before you go in lmao
itll relax u right off:Ppp
Venus
Fervent
Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Postby Gerien » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Plan out your speech in advance - write it out if you feel it will help - and then make notes out of the most salient points. These should be VERY short phrases to remind you of the key points. you will NOT be "reading" from them, just using them like cue cards.

Practice, practice, practice! Say it out loud to yourself at least 3-4 times, the last 2 in front of a mirror. Do so in front of a friend if you can.

Put it away for an entire 24 hours. Then go back and practice one last time.

When in front of your audience, hold your note cards loosely in one hand so you can easily flash them to yourself (it's okay if they see you do so) without them getting in the way. Move around the room as much as fits the situation. Use your hands and arms when you talk. That's how we normally speak to people, and you want this to be as "normal" as possible.

And finally, relax. Remember that you DO know this material. You're just letting someone else know that you know it. The more at ease you are with that fact, the more at ease you will be speaking, and the more relaxed the panel will be when it comes time to ask you questions.

Anything else, ask me. I do workshops on public speaking lol.

Venus wrote:take a xanax before you go in lmao
itll relax u right off:Ppp

*thwaps the alien*
Grunt wrote:Its a Bird
Its a plane
Its Super Librarian

Read about our journey to open The Dog House hot dog restaurant
Gerien
Threadjacker

Postby Mickal Redwater » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 pm

LoL well i was on a prescription for 2 Xanax a day cause of my severe anxiety disorder and such ;) Mostly for social anxiety. Been off for a few months, since my prescription insurance is no longer good, and i had to change doctors (but havent) cause of insurance change.

SOOOOO i dont have any :P But probably should. I'm afraid of checkout people at the grocery store. But somehow i managed to teach classes for the last 2 years, and apparently pretty well, since i got highest marks of any grad student in the department.

However, these are professors. Who get to ask me ANY question they want :P So i know my 'stuff' as in my projects etc, but they may expect me to remember some old E&M question, or about Geology which i have even less study of.

EEEEKKKKK.

But yet ; ) just gotta figure out how to stay calm and i think i can figure my way through most of it.
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket

Postby Grunt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Do not get nervous
Be confident but not cocky
I am sure you know the material so you will do fine
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
Grunt
Upper Royalty

Postby Fireslash » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 pm

you'll be alright. either they are gonna be cool as hell and you will breeze through it or they fucking hate you anyway and you're fucked from the get go

but i really doubt they are gonna ask you questions just to make you look retarded. cause then its a real awkward 3 fucking hours that they also got to be involved in :P

~Fire
Fireslash
Pickpocket

Postby Mickal Redwater » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:15 am

Well did a practice today.
It blew :P Got asked tons of questions i had no answers for. But was the first time i tried presenting, wasnt done preparing and making the powerpoint, so learned a lot about what i need to know ;P

Scary, and stressful :P
FEL forever
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket

Postby owly » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:30 pm

Mickal Redwater wrote:Well did a practice today It blew :P Got asked tons of questions i had no answers for.

That's not a good sign....

i don't like telling people this but you need to study :P
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
owly
Master Knight

Postby Mickal Redwater » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:21 am

Dont worry i study a lot :P 20 hour days bascially all week and for the next few weeks.

Problem is.. they are supposed to ask me questions i dont know. If i know it.. they go more in depth and ask a harder question until i am stumped :P

They also can ask me any question they want about science :P

There is no like "need to get this much right" part to this part of the exam. Just want to see that i'm knowledgable and can think my way through science.

Another practice run tomorrow. This time just in front of grad students
FEL forever
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket

Postby MoP » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:28 am

You're a smart guy, you'll do fine. Try to prepare without too much stress and it'll be good.

Also, stay away from girls. They are evil and will plot your demise as soon as they enter your life.
--Master of Puppets--

Obey your Master.
Merry Union of Mercenaries
MoP
Squire

Return to Comments