Windows 7 Upgrade

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Windows 7 Upgrade

Postby Atticus Forghon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

I have a question about the FREE Windows 7 upgrade process and qualifications.

Everything I have read states that the FREE upgrade is available to the people who bought a new computer since June. I got this laptop when I graduated in May; it came with Vista Home Premium 64 bit - so not eligible for the FREE upgrade. However, my work paid for a Vista Ultimate upgrade a few weeks ago so I could access our domain. Now am I eligible for the FREE upgrade or do I still have to pay for the upgrade?
Atticus
Dark Fellowship
§otEP Forever
Atticus Forghon
Stablehand

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade

Postby Gerien » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 pm

The rules are here, but the paragraph below (from a related story) prety much mean "computer says nooo." (50 points to whomever gets that reference.)

As early as November 2008, we already revealed details of a free upgrade program for the upcoming Microsoft Windows 7 operating system. Basically, from June 26, 2009 up till January 31, 2010, purchasers of PCs that have Windows Vista pre-installed are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 after it is launched on October 22, 2009.

(emphasis added)

Full article here
[edit]From the looks of it, the entire upgrade program has been just fucked up.[/edit]
Grunt wrote:Its a Bird
Its a plane
Its Super Librarian

Read about our journey to open The Dog House hot dog restaurant
Gerien
Threadjacker

Postby Grunt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:01 pm

shakes fist
damn you librarians
always find the answers
runs off to plot the un researchable question
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
Grunt
Upper Royalty

Postby Atticus Forghon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh damnit damnit damnit!!!
Atticus
Dark Fellowship
§otEP Forever
Atticus Forghon
Stablehand

Postby Gerien » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Grunt wrote:runs off to plot the un researchable question

It doesn't exist. :lol:
Grunt wrote:Its a Bird
Its a plane
Its Super Librarian

Read about our journey to open The Dog House hot dog restaurant
Gerien
Threadjacker

Postby Atticus Forghon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:22 pm

In case anyone else had questions about this issue I wanted to post that I am actually available for the free upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. I contacted a Microsoft support guy via email and he gave me this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/of ... ption.aspx. Click upgrade now at the bottom or something similar and you just have to put in your product key and some info, I did and the total came out to $0.00 + shipping. I am so happy to be getting off vista soon and on to the new and improved (hopefully) windows 7!
Atticus
Dark Fellowship
§otEP Forever
Atticus Forghon
Stablehand

Postby Captain_Ron » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

I have the upgrade paths on pinned up in my workspace. If you are upgrading from Vista ultimate 64 bit to 7 Ultimate 64 bit you can do an in-place upgrade. But if not you have to format the hard drive. The upgrade process is pretty screwed up to say the least. I am thinking of buying a Vista machine just to upgrade to 7 shortly. We will see. I need money for it.

Good luck. I ran the beta in a virtual machine. It looks like vista on steroids. I hope that's a good thing.
<Holden> I'm just here for the chicks.
How bout a glass of pounch you in the FACE?
Still Y2K compliant
Captain_Ron
Pickpocket

Postby Atticus Forghon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:01 am

Well it should, at least, be a small upgrade from Vista. And yes, I am going from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate. Although I haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to upgrade or reformat; my laptop could use a fresh install after already having done an upgrade. Of course the hassles that go along with reformatting are never fun to deal with, especially now that I have my computer set up to run on both my home personal network and my work's domain. We shall see, regardless I pumped about not having to pay $219 for an 7 ultimate upgrade!
Atticus
Dark Fellowship
§otEP Forever
Atticus Forghon
Stablehand

Postby Captain_Ron » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 am

Spending less money on things like that is always a good thing!

Most likely I will decide to wait for the first service pack before adopting 7 as my savior. I am perfectly fine running XP. Unfortunately people still bring me Windows 98 computers to work on. *shudders*
<Holden> I'm just here for the chicks.
How bout a glass of pounch you in the FACE?
Still Y2K compliant
Captain_Ron
Pickpocket

Postby Dustball OOC » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:55 pm

I was wondering if any of the people posted in here have been using Windows 7 yet. My mother is looking to get a laptop and I do not know much about 7 she is not good with computers. She is still learning but we got here where she will do email, facebook, and she does her work on the computer. She is a teacher for younger kids. So was wondering what people's thoughts were on Windows 7
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein
Dustball OOC
Peasant

Postby Fo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 am

I have upgraded a PC laptop running XP to Windows 7 Ultimate. The computer gets tasks done faster and I recommend it for Windows users. So much better that Vista.

That being said I prefer Mac's and digging the newest OS Snow Leopard which is a 64 bit OS and is better at managing multiple core machines. For me doing live video encoding that is rebroadcast it has made a HUGE difference in performance.
Another causality of the evernight player grinder.
Fo
Pickpocket

Return to Comments