District 9

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

District 9

Postby Gerien » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:59 am

Finally, a thinking man's sci-fi movie! I absolutely love it. What did you think?
Grunt wrote:Its a Bird
Its a plane
Its Super Librarian

Read about our journey to open The Dog House hot dog restaurant
Gerien
Threadjacker

Re: District 9

Postby Captain_Ron » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:20 am

Haven't seen it yet, but I've wanted to see it pretty bad. My roommate took a date to see it last night. I need to relay this story because when I found out about it I laughed fairly hard.

My roommate took a female to see District 9. 45 minutes in she walked out of the movie claiming it too brutal or gory or whatever girls can't deal with. Instead of taking her home he told her to wait in the lobby while he finished watching the movie. Props to him, of course he won't be getting a second date.

:) Anyways I won't be able to see it till DVD because my schedule is full till November. Maybe a Sunday afternoon if I can sneak out of meetings early.
<Holden> I'm just here for the chicks.
How bout a glass of pounch you in the FACE?
Still Y2K compliant
Captain_Ron
Pickpocket

Postby owly » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:24 am

i watched it on the computer last night and all the sub-titles was in Russian but it was still good. i wouldn't mind watching it again with English sub-titles to see what the aliens are saying. i still liked it....
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
owly
Master Knight

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Going in about 5 hours.

;)
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby owly » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 pm

That would mean your watching it right now or finished watching it, i want to know whats your thoughts?
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
owly
Master Knight

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:15 am

My thoughts.

1. It is not an apartheid film; but there were similarities.
2. Completely unbelievable that the US would not invade over that technology.
3. Well laid out story line with great characters and absolutely intense all the way through.
4. A mix of Starship Troopers, Blackhawk Down, and Halo. Loving it!
5. Almost too foreign, but just English enough to matter.
6. Obviously set for a sequel called District 10. Not bad set up either.
7. Just enough action, story, morality play, and human characteristics.
8. Some alien weapons were awesome. Some were just designed for effect (bomb that attaches to guys head and explodes by making the head explode.
9. The CGI people have played FAR TOO MUCH Half-Life.

Overall, I give it 4/5 Talonspyres.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Radix » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Best sci-fi flick since Serenity, and extremely accessible to those who don't normally like sci-fi.

Reminds me a lot of the original Planet of the Apes. The story is decent enough, but when taken in the context of its real-world inspiration, it's really a marvelous piece of film-making.
Radix
No matter how much light you shine, you can't make a blind man see.
Radix
Squire

Postby Tribal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 pm

I tried to get my girlfiend to go with me to see District 9 too, because last time she had me convinced Twilight wasn't a chick flick. I coundn't compromise.
-Tribal
Retired GM of Savage Empire & Centurion
"Pictures of fields without fences."
Tribal
Stablehand

Postby Kaz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Peter Jackson pulls out another great film. The director Neill Blomkamp was also pretty good, was his first major film and I think he may well be a director to watch out for in the future.

Saw a DVD Rip of this the other day, not sure if it hit the UK cinema's or not yet, havn't been for a while, but if not I'll have to pop down and see it on a large screen.

The rotten tomatoes consensus is "Technically brilliant and emotionally wrenching, District 9 has action, imagination, and all the elements of a thoroughly entertaining science-fiction classic."

I have to agree, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. In my mind it was one of the best films I've ever seen, it's bound to do well in the awards.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
Kaz
Retired Admin

Postby Atla » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:49 pm

I wasn't impressed. It was okay, but not wonderful.

A sequel of a war between humans and prawns would be on my 'to definatly freaking see' though.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:45 pm

I have to agree, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. In my mind it was one of the best films I've ever seen, it's bound to do well in the awards.

As though well written, well directed films, with substance gain any attention in awards shows.

Right.

I have a bridge in the Brooklyn area I would love to sell you.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Kaz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Reylan Talonspyre wrote:I have a bridge in the Brooklyn area I would love to sell you.

Can it be transported easily to England?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
Kaz
Retired Admin

Postby Absinthe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:36 am

oops, double post
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
the sky is boiling
and there's something wrong with jane
Absinthe
Peasant

Postby Absinthe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:37 am

I saw it awhile back. I loved it. It made me think Roger Zelazny had come back from the dead and written and directed a movie. Superlative.
the sky is boiling
and there's something wrong with jane
Absinthe
Peasant

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Can it be transported easily to England?

Yes, but the locals might get angry.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Lady Maven » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 pm

OK, I watched it. I wasn't going to but all of you said how great it was, so I went.

All I can say is meh. I have seen worse, Water World comes to mind, but not many others.

The storyline was so-so, there was precious little blood and guts to redeem it, and the believeability factor was like nil.

I am supposed to believe that these aliens, who have natural built in weapons AND bio-weapons that only they can use, are giving these weapons away in exchange for cat food?? And not like ::points weapon in face of gang banging thug:: "Gimme the catfood or I blow your fragging head off"?? And how did they GET the weapons? We are shown that they were so starved and weak they couldn't even open the door and take a shuttle down. After three months humans break in. Ok, so the humans said to these unknown people "OK, take all the weapons and crap that you want, we trust you"? And even if these were the most peace loving people anywhere, you'd think after the first "abortion" that shit would change pretty damned fast. And on top of that, when they were brought down there were 1 MILLION of them, by the time of our story there are 1.8 million. And yet we make them our bitches?

In short, unbelievable, too preachy and no gore spattered fun. Remind me to not watch movies you guys like again.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Return to Comments