Bar stool economics

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Re: Bar stool economics

Postby Tnemnethgilne » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Gorfin wrote:Maybe it was. Was he ever brought up on charges? Was his company forced to split up, ala, MaBell?

I'm not totally clear on what "discriminatory pricing" is, or do i know about BG's rise to the top.

But I will take back my comment on you hating rich people. It appears you just hate BG.

and WTF is economic mobility?

discriminatory pricing is charging people the max they can afford to pay. Lets assume Microsoft charges dell about 20 dollars per windows cd key, because they are big and could pose a threat to microsoft if they switched to linux. But microsoft is not threatened by emachines so they charge them 50 dollars per cd key, because if emachines doesn't get windows nobody will ever buy their stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination , btw it is a micro economic term.

economic mobility refers to the ability of people born into poor families to become rich. it is a difficult thing to study for many reasons. for obvious reasons, economic mobility gets harder the higher up you go. a mechanic can only make so much money working with cars. a lawyer can only get so rich working for a firm. business leaders and investors have an easier time, because investment is the process of making money with capital. all of the richest people must be skilled at maintaining and utilizing capital or they will not remain rich for long. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_mobility

about bill gates and legal charges. above a certain level of wealth, laws have no power.
Tnemnethgilne
Stablehand

Postby Asoc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Erm, I grew up in Eastern Washington, I currently live in Tacoma. Trust, me, Bill Gates is a shrewd business person and an asshole when it comes to running a business, he also busted his ass to grow his company. He has done a great deal for this community. He is a very charitable individual.

I was out at a bar early this year with some friends. One guy who was a former Microsoft employee. We were talking with this girl we met at the bar, I won't reveal her name, but she had been through some crazy shit where she almost died and should have died. She made the national news went on Oprah, the Today Show, etc. Anyways, we got into this conversation about Bill Gates. My friend made a comment how BG is an asshole, she interjected and said how nice of a guy he is. They both explained the circumstances of their individual encounters with him. She explained how he was a nice guy and that she has met and talked with him numerous times. My friend who worked for Microsoft explained how he is a cutthroat business person and doesn't put up with shit. At least that is what I got out of listening to the conversation.

Also speaking with people who have had interactions with him I get the same sense.

BG busted his ass to grow his company to where it is. You can object to his methods, but the fact is he still busted his ass.

You may be ignorant of the business world, but that doesn't mean those people who run these large corporations don't bust their ass with tremendous pressure of thousands of individuals counting on you.
Its the Catalina Wine Mixer
Asoc
Squire

Postby Grunt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:39 pm

the people who acheive upward mobility are those who save and invest wisely
I am worth much more than I ever earned through work because I saved and invested what I made
I know many people who have earned more than me but blew it as fast or faster than they made it
the key is to live beneath your means and dont worry about what other people are doing
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
Grunt
Upper Royalty

Postby Gorfin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:56 pm

Tnemnethgilne wrote:
Gorfin wrote:Maybe it was. Was he ever brought up on charges? Was his company forced to split up, ala, MaBell?

I'm not totally clear on what "discriminatory pricing" is, or do i know about BG's rise to the top.

But I will take back my comment on you hating rich people. It appears you just hate BG.

and WTF is economic mobility?

discriminatory pricing is charging people the max they can afford to pay. Lets assume Microsoft charges dell about 20 dollars per windows cd key, because they are big and could pose a threat to microsoft if they switched to linux. But microsoft is not threatened by emachines so they charge them 50 dollars per cd key, because if emachines doesn't get windows nobody will ever buy their stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination , btw it is a micro economic term.

Is Price Discrim illegal?
G~
AMAZING BUT TRUE ... There is so much sand in Northern Africa that if it were spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert.
Gorfin
Pickpocket

Postby Grunt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:59 pm

sounds more like discounts for volume to me
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
Grunt
Upper Royalty

Postby Asoc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm

It appears as though windows is more valuable to emachines then it is to dell. And, dell is more valuable to Microsoft than emachines is.

Dell can use their leverage to get a lower cost from Microsoft which lets them make more money.
Asoc
Squire

Postby Gorfin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:02 pm

I think TEO's point is not that tho. But that MS is colluding with Dell as to stifle competition, and/or Increase their market share. doesnt mean that they are doing it...TEO just thinks they are.

Where as real discounts for volume's are available to eveyrone, even if joeblow wanted to buy 100k copies of WIndows, he'd get the same price as Dell does.

And, if he talks to the right person, he might be able to. /shrug.
G~
AMAZING BUT TRUE ... There is so much sand in Northern Africa that if it were spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert.
Gorfin
Pickpocket

Postby Tnemnethgilne » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:08 pm

Gorfin wrote:I think TEO's point is not that tho. But that MS is colluding with Dell as to stifle competition, and/or Increase their market share. doesnt mean that they are doing it...TEO just thinks they are.

Where as real discounts for volume's are available to eveyrone, even if joeblow wanted to buy 100k copies of WIndows, he'd get the same price as Dell does.

And, if he talks to the right person, he might be able to. /shrug.

Yes, that is the idea, I probably failed to make. MS gave discounts based on not using competitors products, and any other factors they think would ensure the continuation of their monopoly. It wasn't a bulk rate thing, the low price dell and other large OEMS got was a bribe to keep them from using competitor's operating system.
Tnemnethgilne
Stablehand

Postby Gorfin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:12 pm

Could I assume your hatred of BG stems from his inability to meet your business standards and practices morals? Because thats what I'm getting. You dont think a company should do anything(legal) they can do to further their company and profits.
G~
Gorfin
Pickpocket

Postby Asoc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:20 pm

This discussion on BG and Microsofts business practices is nice and all, but is all it really does is help prove that BG worked his ass off to earn this money. Enlightenment(Is that TEO?) tried to say BG did nothing and everything was handed to him.
Asoc
Squire

Postby Gorfin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:22 pm

(sorry, i read his name as TheEnlightedOne backwords)

Yeah, but IMO, he said it(BG not working hard) about of hatred for BG. Either class envy, or because he doesnt live up to some moral code. I want to know which.
G~
Gorfin
Pickpocket

Postby Shoeman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:33 am

I know this thread is old and this is really a gaming site but I was searching and came across this and just had to ask Maverick something.

Maverick I'm not sure what exactly it is you are trying to argue. It seems like you're trying to say in the real world if the gov't decrease their spending then taxes would decrease as a result but realistically do you think that would happen? If the gov't had a surplus they wouldn't give it back they would try to spend it. For some reason the stimulus packages comes to mind. The gov't gave us money (which they got from the taxes they collected from us) to help stimulate the economy for a short time. It doesn't make sense why do it like that? Why not lower taxes instead? If they're giving us money back then that would mean they have cash they didn't spend, right?

As for the spending going from 100 to 120 well they're doing it because of the taxing power of the american people. They know that eventually the debt will be paid back. Maybe not now, but sometime in the future and they'll have to raise taxes for it to be done.

The way I see the bar stool example is that by lowering taxes people would be inclined to spend more money but raised taxes would have the opposite affect. Of course it might be hard to see in the example cause the 5th and 6th man are only saving $1. But picture it on a larger scale and lets say the savings is $100, 300 or 500. Wouldn't you think some people would spend the money on something? It might not be much but it'll add up. But instead the example tries to show that people are petty and stupid because they don't understand simple math of percentages.

Hopefully you see this cause it seems like this Forum isn't very active and I searched and saw that you (Maverick) haven't posted since 2009.
Shoeman
Stablehand

Postby AlvinJosh33 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:42 am

Good if all will be treated fairly. Rich or poor, all deserves a good night out. I hope there is a bar that would give free drinks to poor people. Or they will just throw them out because they don't have money. Not good if rich people are charged more than the others... that's not fair.
AlvinJosh33
Stablehand

Previous

Return to Comments