Puppy Help

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Puppy Help

Postby Gabria » Mon May 08, 2006 9:03 pm

erm okay...how to start this...

I adopted a puppy on April 9th through the second chance animal rescue society here in Edmonton... She's a beautiful 9-10 mnth old Basset Griffon Vendeen Cross (named Kyoko on a Global News Contest won by a 10 year old boy : I call her Kyo).

This is what I know about her background :

She was picked up as a stray Feb 28 in a county that has no place to hold them, animals picked up by bylaw have 3 days to be claimed or they are shot, so Second Chance stepped up and took over her care on March 3. She was in 2 outside crated foster care homes, and was adopted at a petsmart expo April 4. The adoptive family kept her inside and kept a crate for her (she feels safe and secure in her little home), but they found out that though she has "hair" instead of fur they we allergic (3 kids and mom).

During this time, I had been searching for a dog (not a puppy). I manage a hotel, and live there. The general managers suggested that I get myself a dog for a companion and for the intimadation factor that a dog has (not that any of us wanted a guard dog, but any dog has the potential to defend under the right circumstances), as I work the late shift. I had stumbled upon Second chances website and this furry little face caught my eye, and I watched her go from avaible to pending, available, adopted, pending, available, in a week and a half, so the last time she came up I jumped at the chance to ask about her and another dog to find the best fit for me in my situation.

The adoption process went through (phone interview, meet the dog/foster family, and finally they bring the dog to your home to see how well you and the dog manage together) and I was left with this absolutely wonderful little big doggy.

Now here's the clincher and the reason for this post. I have *never ever* owned a dog in my life ( not to say that I didn't want one, no one could have begged harder). I had, alright alright, I *have* some serious allergies, (for which I take daily medication) to pretty much everything alive cept people, unless they are wearing perfume...... And this puppy o'mine, has some problems that I need help with.

First off- She is incredibly shy (unless you have 4 legs or are under 5'0, I'd say children and dogs, but she loves cats and pounces short people)

and by incredibly shy I mean submissive pees when coming up to a lady she doesn't know, and is TERRIFIED of men. (little men are okay, as well as men with dogs). She runs from men and barks and growls at them from behind the desk and me.

Kyo also has absolutely no manners on a leash and though she is close to the ground she is 35 lbs and is a mean little puller, however when you try to pull her back a little she "freaks out" and throws herself away from you as hard and as fast as she can and trys to pull off her collar until I call her name and she realizes it's just me.

She can't walk past a parked truck, cars and mini-vans are alright, but I was walking her past a truck and she ran straight out to the side of me and refused to move until I carried her past. It didn't seem to bother her to walk up to the truck or past the box, but when we walked past the cab it caused the problem. However she enters and rides very well in a car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to socialize her without traumatizing her.

And I have pic but no clue how to make it appear here.
Foley is my god
all hail the mighty Thantos
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Thantos » Mon May 08, 2006 9:33 pm

Gab, first, how dare you not tell me on aim =P

Second and most important. she sounds exactly like my dog lucy when i got her. the dogs actions show she's most likely been abused before, probably by a guy. i'll tell ya how i've handled it over aim.
retired LEH | DEAD CELL

Dancin' on da hood while Casper's drivin' - Ghost Ride Da Whip
:dood: :duel1: :pissed: :action3: :twisted:
Thantos
Squire

Postby Bran » Mon May 08, 2006 9:59 pm

I agree with Thantos 100%.

Our Rott/Lab mix Ministry was like that when we got her, but through patience and caring I was able to get her to not only accept me but she is now "my" dog.

I would say the important thing to do first is make sure that you have the dogs trust, which it sounds like you do. Then I woudl consult the vet and see if they have any suggestions.

Exposure is the big thing in my opinion, obedience school may be good for her although I am not sure she may be really intimidated. Also good for you for taking in that dog, I volunteered for a rescue organization around here until my son was born and I started back to school.

I know that when we go to get another dog that is the route we are going to go.
"fortes fortuna adiuvat"
DF
Bran
Traveler

Postby Venus » Mon May 08, 2006 10:01 pm

yeah, definetly agree with thantos
and i only know this cause i just wrote a speech about dogs and early agression signs

what your descibing is what abused dogs act like:)

i havent found a websight yet that tells how to fix the problem, unless u pay for it...but if i find one, ill link it here
i have to give this stupid speech tomorrow
Venus
Fervent
Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Postby Voice Caile » Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 pm

There are places in Edmonton that will teach you how to train your animal properly. (not obedience schools because that implies that the dog has issues, when usually it's the owner that just doesn't know how to deal with them.)

I used to know a girl here who was a animal health tech but she moved to Red Deer. I'll ask a friend from Calgary when I get a chance but she won't be up for a couple of weeks yet.

I'll also ask around about good vets to take the little critter to, since there are quite a few that aren't really all that good in the city. Let me know what area you live in and I'll try and find one close to you.

As for the dog, he's going to need a lot of time and a lot of love. It will take some time before he can trust you, especially since he's just been through such a traumatic time with going from house to house.

Try and give him some safe places in your suite, maybe a little dog bed in the corner that he can go without worrying about being touched. It will make him feel as if he isn't as trapped.

I do know that you have the necessary kindness that the animal will need in order to feel secure and loved, so you're already doing well with that.

Mostly, just let him get to know you and trust you, and then start introducing him to other people gradually.

I'd also suggest taking him to some parks where you can walk him, and there are also some parks in town that will allow you to have him off leash as well. Since he seems to freak out on a leash that might be a good place to take him.

Do you have transportation? It's pretty much a must in order to get him to one of those places. I'm sure a google search will turn up something. If not check out the edmonton city web page, might have information as well. If not just post here and I'll see if I can get more info from the girl who used to live here as she has a dog as well, and we've been on a few walks with them.
It's a great time to be Gay in Canada, we can now legally take half of everything in a divorce.
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Gabria » Mon May 08, 2006 10:23 pm

Thanks guys, your suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

I'm extremely thankful to hear that I'm kinda on the right track with her. And don't worry about the trust thing bran, she's my wonderful little shadow, has been since I let the furball sleep on the bed with me the first night. My friends were suprised at how quickly she bonded with me considering her behavior around them.

I was also thinking obedience school, but like you, hesitant as she might find it very frightening, but there are other dogs there for her to pounce so it might go very well. Might have to try it, and I e-mailed the society today and recieved a response, they have group called dog spaw that offers discounts for rescued pets, for training or grooming, and one class was for "troubled" pets.

Edit: Thanks Caile :) I picked up a crate before I got her, cause that was what she was used to, she uses it for her toy storage :)

and O.o I should call Vanessa too, as she is a trainer now, and a vet assistant, ( still waitin to get into vet school).

Thanks Sammy, and can you belive I finally got a DOG :) *wegs*

My experience with SCARS was absolutely wonderful, and they care very highly about the animals they rescue and contact me for lots of updates. I would suggest anyone looking for a pet to check one out in your area, you can find out alot about the pet before you decide to take it home.
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Sturm » Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 pm

Just wait till puppy grows up and then decides that your side of the bed will do nicely. We have a queen sized bed, and between the dog, the 2 cats and the wife, Sturmy dun get much room left.

Our's pee'd everytime someone came over or we came home, i think it's just an excitment thing personally, patience and care has curbed that fairly drastically.
Now is the car sickness period :roll: , but childrens gravol 1/2 hour before trip does the trick. ;>

Good luck with puppy
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Postby Gabria » Mon May 08, 2006 10:38 pm

LOL sturm :)

well thankfully this is as big as she gets, legs and body size of a basset hound with the wirey hair of a terrier :) interestin lookin scruffy thing :)

But the excited pees stopped after a day, I hafta come and go too offen to hold that much water :)
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Geothe » Mon May 08, 2006 10:55 pm

I'd think that if tall me really freak her out... that is something that isn't good (and like others mentioned.. indicates past abuse).

But.. that isn't something you can really safely leave ingrained in a puppy, especially when you are around people.

If you have a tall-ish guy friend.. make him your guinea pig, and maybe gradually exposing the puppy to him will help.

Like have him come with puppy treats and what not. starting not standing but crouched/on his knees. etc. Toss toys with the pup/generally play with her. first time or two just staying "low" then later start low and then sit in a chair..eventually stand up. etc.
Exposure to "good guys" should help in that area i'd think.
Fervent, ALWAYS
Yes, we are that damn good!
Our Game, Our Rules
Venus, the Embodiment of Human Perfection!
Geothe
Journeyman

Postby Isildur » Mon May 08, 2006 10:57 pm

Had to take my dog that behaved that way to an animal behavioralist.

Basically it is obedience training, but as Caile mentioned -- not what might be implied by the name. Its training the dog to be self confident in that you make them trust its handlers to the point where they are confident in their handlers, and know that they have nothing to worry about as long as they do what they are supposed to.

So my dog listens to my every command, and in a situation where she would get a bit aggressive, I tell her to sit/stay, and she's like "Oh, hey! We are just doing exercises and I know he's got my back" and no problems at all.

Ended up costing a bundle in that it was basically 10 weeks of boarding away from our home but was worth every penny.
Economic ignorance is to politicians what idle hands are to the devil. Both provide the workshop for the creation of evil. - Walter Williams
Isildur
Upper Royalty

Postby Thantos » Mon May 08, 2006 11:00 pm

this is her puppy for those that would like to see

retired LEH | DEAD CELL

Dancin' on da hood while Casper's drivin' - Ghost Ride Da Whip
:dood: :duel1: :pissed: :action3: :twisted:
Thantos
Squire

Postby Sturm » Mon May 08, 2006 11:27 pm

Looks like some Airdale(sp) Terrier in their to.

Ours is a simply black lab , great with kids, good hunting and swimmers.
They say labs are stupid, but it took me 3 hr's and had her fetching a ball, took to it like duck to water.
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Postby Venus » Mon May 08, 2006 11:53 pm

awww its cute!

i want it!!:Pp
Venus
Fervent
Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Postby Gabria » Tue May 09, 2006 12:05 am

:D

thanks Thantos :)

and LOL you can't have her V :) she's my little darlin :)
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Rahvin » Tue May 09, 2006 7:28 am

lol very cute puppy..

but i don't know if it would fill the protection requirements you wanted to get a dog for in the first place.
Rahvin
You can't have Manslaughter without Laughter
Rahvin
Pickpocket

Postby Torkano » Tue May 09, 2006 8:19 am

Don't know where you heard that, Sturm, but labs are very intelligent dogs.
Sartorious lives on forever in my heart and memories!
<Thantos> so there's 5 we have to break tonite
<Sexxay-Dux> well whichuns are the biggewst
<Art_is_Sexy> can we break them with fucking?
Torkano
Don't mess with da Elf

Postby Voice Caile » Tue May 09, 2006 8:32 am

Hey! It looks just like her!

*ducks*
It's a great time to be Gay in Canada, we can now legally take half of everything in a divorce.
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Sturm » Tue May 09, 2006 8:47 am

Torkano wrote:Don't know where you heard that, Sturm, but labs are very intelligent dogs.

Yes i tried to debate that fact to the father in law , but we all know in laws specially older one's, sorry for the non clarity there, was preoccupied with other thoughts.
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Postby BGoff » Tue May 09, 2006 9:26 am

Just about any animal that ends up in an animal shelter has been through some form of abuse. Some more extreme then others, but emotional abuse none the less.

Sounds like perhaps the dog was hit or attacked by a tall male, which is why it reacts the way it does. Possibly could of been abused in a noisey area, which is why it freaks out when cars come by.

The good news is dogs can be trained, no matter how severe they were abused before. You just have to be compassionate, and show her that you are not going to hurt her if she makes mistakes.

You can train the dog to not pull on a leash. Its just a time consuming practice that requires you to walk her, alot. Buy yourself one of those anti-pull harnesses, don't use a regular collar. The reason she may freak out if you pull on her a bit, if you are using a collar, is because it chokes her. An anti-pull training harness will fasten beneath her legs, and there is nothing around her neck. So when you pull back to stop her from walking, she isn't being choked - just her legs stopped.

If your dog freaks out around people, the best way to solve that is by taking her out in public. If you have a friend or family member that fits the requirements of someone she has shown signs of being scared of, see if they can help you train her. Don't force her to stay with someone that scares her, give her the option of being able to 'escape'. Invite someone over for movies or what not, and let her get to know him. Over a couple days she will grow comfortable when she realizes he will not attack her.

Petsmart or Petco are good places to take the dog to get her familar with other animals and people. I'd take a ride up there and see what happens, if she really spazz's out - I thik Isi is right on track with the Dog Training suggestion. It can be expensive, but a dog that is severely tramatized it may be the only way.
I bring cheer, love, and a boot in the ass.
BGoff
Network Administrator

Postby Gabria » Tue May 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Thankyou guys for every suggestion, and I am going to take her to petsmart today, to pick up a harness for her, she absolutely loves other dogs so I hope there are men with dogs there.

:P and Caile, I only wish I was that cute :)
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Ferlinc » Tue May 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Gabria wrote: she doesn't know, and is TERRIFIED of men. (little men are okay, as well as men with dogs). She runs from men and barks and growls at them from behind the desk and me.

I am tallish (over 6 feet). I love animals of al kinds and have had very little problem with shy dogs,even those who ar supposed to be afraid of men (maybe my beard confuses them ;))

One dog in particular comes to my mind--Finchy. She had been severely abused by men and didn't trust women much either but was terrifed of tall men.

First thing I did when I met her was lie down on the floor strethced out on my side. I stayed there for some time and then slowly stretched out my arm...she was just peeking around from the other room. After I waited there patiently for some time she came up and sniffed my fingers. I just stayed lying down as long as she needed. To this day she loves me and is always thrilled to see me.
Covenant
Where the game becomes the story...
...and the story becomes the game.

rabid
Ferlinc
Journeyman

Postby Voice Caile » Tue May 09, 2006 3:11 pm

That's because you're a puppy Ferly :)
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Ferlinc » Tue May 09, 2006 3:59 pm

There was originally an "OOC" in front of that, don't know where it went :P
Covenant
Where the game becomes the story...
...and the story becomes the game.

rabid
Ferlinc
Journeyman

Postby MoP » Tue May 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Gabria wrote:and Caile, I only wish I was that cute

Damn, girly, you're much cuter than a puppy! And not as furry...
--Master of Puppets--

Obey your Master.
Merry Union of Mercenaries
MoP
Squire

Postby Voice Caile » Tue May 09, 2006 8:43 pm

You should have seen her at 14 though MoP
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Next

Return to Comments