Puppy Help

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Postby Lady Maven » Wed May 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Just a quick FYI, Gabria, there is a difference between a no-pull harness and a regular harness. First of all, the no-pulls are usually MUCH cheaper, lol, second, when put on correctly they actually stop the dog from pulling by kind of splaying their legs out when they try without hurting them the way a choke chain will. A regular harness is great after they have been trained to walk on a leash, and even better, IMO is a head harness.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby Ferlinc » Wed May 10, 2006 5:36 pm

putting leashes on puppies :(

you humans are so cruel
Covenant
Where the game becomes the story...
...and the story becomes the game.

rabid
Ferlinc
Journeyman

Postby Gabria » Wed May 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Sorry for the lack of replies for the past couple days, I took a lot of your suggestions and put them to work :)

The Pet store idea was one of the best and the results suprised the hell outa me. Okay, so walking inside was a little nerve racking for her, and I ended up having to carry her to the back of the store and sit there a few minutes petting her and calming her.... that is until a big (well big to her) puppy turned the corner. People? what people? there were people in there? I saw and smelled dogs everywhere?!

We spent quite a lot of time in the first pet store, wandering through the ailses, and trying on harnesses and a new halti (I think it's the same as the head harness that maven is suggesting, in which case she rolls instead of walks *kept it on for a 1/2 hour with little avail*). Chose a harness that basically stops her legs under her but they didn't sell her food.

So off to the second pet store, she really enjoyed setting off the chorus of puppies on her way by and had to bound past them a few times, before stopping to sniff all the fingers of everyone near-by, quite a few bent to give her some affection and attention, except for a couple of flinches when the ever terrifying tall guys touched her, she didn't run, growl or bark.

The harness is amazing, not only does my arm not hurt after our daily long walk, but she seems to be more confident in it. Head and tail held a little higher and today she didn't scramble away from a truck but pressed in closer to my leg.

Unfortunately most of the guys I know are only an inch or two taller then me, but two of them have been trying to help me with Kyo a little, one of them spent a couple night in my spare room. Though she is warming up to them, she still dislikes most others... My maintenance man, and general manager (who opens for me in the mornin) who see her every day. She doesn't growl anymore but she does avoid them at all costs and hides from them if I have to step out of the office.

Thankyou guys again for all your suggestions and words of encouragement.

PS Caile, *sniffles* be a nice girly...
Foley is my god
all hail the mighty Thantos
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Voice Caile » Wed May 10, 2006 10:08 pm

I've never been nice, and I sure as hell am not about to start now.

Glad to hear the puppy is feeling more confident. I find nothing more heartbreaking than an animal damaged emotionally or otherwise by ignorant people.
It's a great time to be Gay in Canada, we can now legally take half of everything in a divorce.
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Gabria » Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 pm

I've never been nice, and I sure as hell am not about to start now.

*grins* you have yer odd moments when you can be -almost- sweet :D

And ya, I'm sure she'll be okay, eventually :) glad I'm tied to my house and werk, I have nothing but time and love to give to her.
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Lady Maven » Wed May 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Now now, don't let her fool you, she's a cuddly wuddly teddy bear. She puts on a tough front so people won't know how sensitive she is <weg>
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby Gabria » Wed May 10, 2006 10:45 pm

:D

She can't fool me, she's always been like this, devilish but sweet when she wants ta be :)
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Voice Caile » Thu May 11, 2006 10:19 am

Ha! I've been lying to you for 22 years. I'm actually a complete bitch. Always have been. I'm just a good actress and I've fooled you all.
It's a great time to be Gay in Canada, we can now legally take half of everything in a divorce.
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Sturm » Thu May 11, 2006 10:35 am

Voice Caile wrote:Ha! I've been lying to you for 22 years. I'm actually a complete bitch. Always have been. I'm just a good actress and I've fooled you all.

Hmm, *shuffles some papers, finds what he's looking for, transposes the template over Voice Caile.

hmm...Sorry "No complete Bitch award for you this year.
You like puppies.. < I find nothing more heartbreaking than an animal damaged emotionally or otherwise by ignorant people.>

Twas your undoing ;>
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Postby Voice Caile » Thu May 11, 2006 10:48 am

Acting! Acting!

What part of Acting did you not understand? It's lies! All lies!
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Gabria » Thu May 11, 2006 11:02 am

I do know that you have the necessary kindness that the animal will need in order to feel secure and loved, so you're already doing well with that.

hee :) see you can be sweet :) That one pulled a heart string or two on me.

She tries, but -complete- bitch ain't in her nature :P
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Postby Sturm » Thu May 11, 2006 11:03 am

Niceness in Denial stage:
A quite common side effect of niceness, brought upon by a sudden compulsion to deflect any form of acceptance or recognition. ;p
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Postby Voice Caile » Thu May 11, 2006 1:07 pm

Oh shut up all of you ;p
Voice Caile
Pickpocket

Postby Ferlinc » Thu May 11, 2006 1:28 pm

She's only being nice because it is part of her community service she had to do for drowning the little baby bunnies and then using their fur to make a blanket.
Covenant
Where the game becomes the story...
...and the story becomes the game.

rabid
Ferlinc
Journeyman

Re: Puppy Help

Postby Gabria » Thu May 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Nothing like bumping a several years old thread. Figured I had slacked long enough with the update.

Sooooo I have now had puppy going on 7 years. Thanks to you all, the advice given, the help offered, I have a confident, socialized puppy. It takes her a matter of an hour to meet and trust new people, for life.

She is now a little slower, a little fatter, but a lot happier with her two kitties :)

This community helped more then you will ever know. A second thanks to you all :)
Foley is my god
for he is the master
Gabria
Peasant

Previous

Return to Comments